• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwissLion

At least it's gotten people buying Fawlty Towers on DVD, which is something everyone should own anyway.

But it is just a removal of one utterance of the n-word specifically for broadcast in a child-friendly time slot.

Internet outrage sure is good for pageviews, though.

Gazunta

Yeah, I've long held the opinion that modern games magazines started losing their appeal when they moved from originally commissioned art to using publisher-supplied images.

I mean compare these

$(KGrHqJ,!oQFB,F0dYL1BQjqLhbrB!~~60_35.JPG
SuperPlay1.jpg

to

images
Gamepro_cover_issue173.png

Gazunta

It's hard enough to find regular issues of Retro Gamer, let alone those awesome compilations they do...think I missed that one :(

I do have an issue of RG where they try to settle the C64 / Speccy debate once and for all...by talking to a heap of C64 reviewers / developers. :p

Shaneus

Yeah, I've long held the opinion that modern games magazines started losing their appeal when they moved from originally commissioned art to using publisher-supplied images.

I mean compare these

$(KGrHqJ,!oQFB,F0dYL1BQjqLhbrB!~~60_35.JPG
SuperPlay1.jpg

to

images
Gamepro_cover_issue173.png
You know, that would almost perfectly pinpoint when I started to lose interest in Hyper. Also, I wonder if there's some correlation between that phenomenon and when the gaming journalism industry started to lose their way. Assuming they were getting paid to put up their marking material as the cover, I'm going to say... yes.

I wasn't having a go!
I was only shitstirring ;)

Which is why it's the only game I'll ever have in my Vita. Never needs to come out.

Curious to see how big it is to download on PSN, though. I have no idea what capacity the Vita carts are supposed to be.
Lumines is about 700mb. The capacity of Vita carts is... whatever they want it to be. They can theoretically use flash memory of any size but the largest game so far has been about 3.2gig. I think.

Omikron

Hey Fred, you were saying yesterday? :lol

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/urine-v...nd-plumbing-20130208-2e24x.html#ixzz2KFZbABJO

Police have reportedly discovered vials of urine hidden in the plumbing at the home ground of an NRL club.
The discovery was made while police conducted a bomb-detection training exercise at Skilled Park in Robina, Queensland, the home ground of the Gold Coast Titans.
The vials were discovered in the dressing room plumbing on Thursday, the day of the release of a major report linking Australia's major sports codes to widespread illicit drug use and organised crime.
Advertisement
Titans management described the find as a mystery.
"The Rugby Sevens were played there in October and there was a rugby Test between Australia and Argentina in September," Titans operations boss Ian Buchanan told News Limited.
"There is more than one tenant at Skilled Park and I certainly don't think it's fair to point the finger at us."
Buchanan told News Limited police had not asked the club to explain their find.
"How could they when there are so many teams that use the venue?"

How incredibly stupid can you get.

LOL MYSTERY
WE DUNNIE KNOW HOW THE PISS GOT IN THAR!

At least it's gotten people buying Fawlty Towers on DVD, which is something everyone should own anyway.

But it is just a removal of one utterance of the n-word specifically for broadcast in a child-friendly time slot.

Internet outrage sure is good for pageviews, though.
Wait, we aren't allowed to say the n-word around kids?

You know, that would almost perfectly pinpoint when I started to lose interest in Hyper. Also, I wonder if there's some correlation between that phenomenon and when the gaming journalism industry started to lose their way. Assuming they were getting paid to put up their marking material as the cover, I'm going to say... yes.
I think that was mainly laziness and pinching pennies more than anything else. Using assets they get given for free is a lot easier and cheaper than finding an artist to do something cool.

I agree that having your cover look just like every other one on the shelf is boring as fuck.

My favourite PCPP cover was one that Paul Steed had made up for them especially when he had an interview with them for Quake 2. Just looks random as fuck, which really draws your eye to it.

Shaneus

My favourite PCPP cover was one that Paul Steed had made up for them especially when he had an interview with them for Quake 2. Just looks random as fuck, which really draws your eye to it.
I vaguely remember that... not the cover itself, but something about it. All I know of custom covers (given I never really bought UK mags) was what Matt Hatton did for Hyper. I'm pretty sure that the only early ones he didn't do were #1 (Chun-Li) and number... 4, I think (NBA Jam, with a flaming basketball on the front). For some reason, I distinctly remember buying that one in the Virgin Megastore in Melbourne CBD. Weird, huh?

Jintor

Fordham brought back custom covers for a few months back when I started interning, but from what I recall the sales figures didn't correlate positively, so...

I vaguely remember that... not the cover itself, but something about it. All I know of custom covers (given I never really bought UK mags) was what Matt Hatton did for Hyper. I'm pretty sure that the only early ones he didn't do were #1 (Chun-Li) and number... 4, I think (NBA Jam, with a flaming basketball on the front). For some reason, I distinctly remember buying that one in the Virgin Megastore in Melbourne CBD. Weird, huh?

Also CMI scored higher than Quake 2 :)

legend166

So I'm assuming the vials were clean urine samples that they got out any time drug testers came along. Which means it pretty much has to be the Titans because one-off tenants aren't going to do that.

Yagharek

Tinfoil hat time: major publishers all abandoning Nintendo systems so they can get onboard with anti used and online only orbis and durango.

Tinfoil hat time: major publishers all abandoning Nintendo systems so they can get onboard with anti used and online only orbis and durango.

Lower than expected WiiU hardware sales have led to publishers putting WiiU projects on the back burner as their projected break even budget point is looking less likely to be hit in a reasonable time frame at this point.

Move projects to launch in the holiday period when install base is hopefully larger to improve probability of game release turning a profit.

Unless Nintendo are willing to moneyhat ala PS3/360 launch years.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Haha what

Looks like we're in for another first-party only (+ Platinum) Nintendo platform

This should have never been a surprise though to anyone.

The only really good Nintendo systems that had 3rd party support, Heck I would say even better games on the systems than Nintendo themselves, was the NES and SNES.

Since then it's all been about Nintendo IPs pushing their hardware. There was nothing about the Wii U that said anything differently.

So it's not a surprise that rayman is coming out on other platforms. I guess the actual surprise is the delay involved, They could have easily released it on the wii u and shoved it out on current gen 6 months later.

Since then it's all been about Nintendo IPs pushing their hardware. There was nothing about the Wii U that said anything differently.
The only difference I can see is Iwata has specifically called out third parties as something they aren't doing well (did they do this on Wii? Probably not considering it's success), as well as potentially putting his job on the line.

Yagharek

Putting a game on other systems isn't abandoning Nintendo systems really.

When it was announced specifically as something that could only be done on Wii U, and used to push the system at launch before being delayed in the last week, then delayed + port announced 2 weeks before its final release was due - that's a clusterfuck of misdirection for anyone who bought the system for this game.

Something like Ninja Gaiden 3 being ported (again) wouldn't be surprising at all. But this sure is.

Jintor

I don't think they make much sense anymore. Multiplatform is just so much more profitable, and it means marketing budgets are worth more.

How did ZombiU sell? Could be part of the decision to delay Rayman. Ubi probably diverted employees from solely working on the WiiU version a while back.

Happens all the time to the 360. Third party platform exclusives died in the 360/PS3 gen for the most part.

Platform holder moneyhats have become less regular due to just how damn expensive some games are to make at this point, so opening up customers on more than one install base is a no brainer really. Especially if a publisher is desperate to make a heap of money.

Yagharek

Happens all the time to the 360. Third party platform exclusives died in the 360/PS3 gen for the most part.

360 is the platform which has "taken" most of the platform exclusives into the multiplatform market. As in, everyone expected series like Final Fantasy or DMC would stay on PS3, and MS had enough carrots to make them multiplatform.

The context is a bit different on Nintendo systems though. Since they have long had a stigma of only being bought for first party games, there have been a couple of prominent incidents of exclusives being announced as multiplatform in the month before release. One major example was Resident Evil 4, for example.

If third party exclusives are rare now, that makes it a bigger deal when they are announced as such, as Rayman Legends was. The fact it was developed with a touchscreen helper character in mind made it look far more likely to be Wii U specific, and any other (completely likely) Rayman Origin/Legends game would come to the other systems without that specific mechanic.

It does come across as a dickish move by the publishing/marketing arm of Ubisoft.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Plus, It's Rayman. Let's be honest here, That IP hasn't sold well in terms of units in forever. It's pretty much a dead IP and while the Rayman game we got last year looked pretty and was favourable with reviews, It didn't set the Rayman IP back on fire.

So this is pretty much them going, fuck, we need to actually sell units to justify making this thing. All three consoles it is!

Plus, It's Rayman. Let's be honest here, That IP hasn't sold well in terms of units in forever. It's pretty much a dead IP and while the Rayman game we got last year looked pretty and was favourable with reviews, It didn't set the Rayman IP back on fire.

So this is pretty much them going, fuck, we need to actually sell units to justify making this thing. All three consoles it is!

Was it ever enormously popular? I don't think so.

1.gif

In the Ubi conference call this time last year they said Origins turned a profit and they were going to make it one of their continual IP's, so it's one of their top level franchises at least.

Not that it means much the way this gen has gone lol

Rezbit

Hmm should I go and see Tool live for a third time, just on the off-chance they might play some new/different material?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
In the Ubi conference call this time last year they said Origins turned a profit and they were going to make it one of their continual IP's, so it's one of their top level franchises at least.

Not that it means much the way this gen has gone lol

It seems obvious they really want to try and make the Rayman brand popular once again. Origins and it's spinoffs were put on 50 different systems, so it's not surprise they were able to actually make some profit from it.

With the Wii U selling so so though right now, It's obvious they need to ditch the exclusivity to continue to push the IP as best they can.

Hmm should I go and see Tool live for a third time, just on the off-chance they might play some new/different material?

They probably won't but you should still totally go anyway!

Rayman going to other platforms doesn't bother me, I'm all for as many people as possible being able to play what looks like a quality game. Pushing the Wii U version back half a year so close to release, unless they're reworking or adding content, is a dick move.

Rayman going to other platforms doesn't bother me, I'm all for as many people as possible being able to play what looks like a quality game. Pushing the Wii U version back half a year so close to release, unless they're reworking or adding content, is a dick move.

The only logical reason I can think of is to make it a marketing blitz at the end of the year rather than try and do 2 seperate marketing campaigns 6 months apart, which would be a less efficient way to spend the marketing budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom