• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this on Facebook

zQ13ffx.jpg

Fuck this shithole country of ours right in its disgusting face.

I thought I should probably clarify as I'm new here and I don't want to give the wrong impression.

I only know who these girls are because of news broadcasts, when did reality television become news worthy? When did the news become reality television? Anyway, I don't watch this shit and I don't find it offensive in any manner and if you are Indian and do you are an idiot.

My partner is indian and i texted this image to her an she laughed. In the past I've worked in call centres and had many dealings with call centres, why can't we make jokes about a stereotype that holds some truth to it regardless of actual context?

jambo

yeah they're delaying the xbox and ps3 versions which are already done. They want the extra money from PC games having no used market.

So I take it it'll get delayed later this year until xmas 2014 to allow for the development time of the Wii U version?

But that's fine of course.

Im sorry but thats funny, It's not racist if it's funny, you know.

But humour is subjective...

Jintor

There's no reason it can't be funny and racist. A hilarious racist joke is still founded on an other v us paradigm and whatnot

Danoss

I have read far too many unhappy novels in a row. I feel sad and alone. Bloody hell do I ever need to read something that will make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (not so much that it's sickening).

Looking at my bookshelf of unread books I haven't done myself any favours, and my newest arrivals aren't helping at all with the likes of; Brave New World, The Bang-Bang Club, Of Mice and Men, and Into Thin Air. I'm sure I'll enjoy them immensely, but it's a selection of bleakness, real-world terror/horror, heart-wrenching or soul-destroying.

Jintor

That's why almost all the anime and manga I watch are comedy nonsensic hi-jinks. It's a good counter to the humanitarian law and dystopian sci-fi futures I generally read.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I have read far too many unhappy novels in a row. I feel sad and alone. Bloody hell do I ever need to read something that will make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (not so much that it's sickening).

Looking at my bookshelf of unread books I haven't done myself any favours, and my newest arrivals aren't helping at all with the likes of; Brave New World, The Bang-Bang Club, Of Mice and Men, and Into Thin Air. I'm sure I'll enjoy them immensely, but it's a selection of bleakness, real-world terror/horror, heart-wrenching or soul-destroying.

Read my favorite novel of all-time - A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. It is actually a very depressing novel at times, especially since it revolves around a family essentially living in poverty, but it's tone is so uplifting and optimistic that it inspires you literally.

jambo

Read lots of Pratchett!

Definitely! His Discworld stuff is amazing.

Terrible bowling, taken the foot off the throat >_<

Few poor efforts in the field too :(

I'm glad that the Windies are fighting back. Matches are so boring when one side gets bowled out for 100~ and then the other side gets to the total in 15 overs.

I'm hoping Pollard will get a century and the Windies will move to 220~

Kritz

Banned
There's no reason it can't be funny and racist. A hilarious racist joke is still founded on an other v us paradigm and whatnot

is this where I post the avenue q song and feel better about myself for being a casual racist or is this where because I don't know what everyone is talking about I make a long winded sentence about nothing in particular

Dead Man

I recently found my old PCPP issues, some of them from 97 and 98. I'll post some Beast specs when I get home tonight!

I'd be interested in this, 98 is about when I fell out PC gaming and into the hands for the consoles for a decade or so.

Danoss

That's why almost all the anime and manga I watch are comedy nonsensic hi-jinks. It's a good counter to the humanitarian law and dystopian sci-fi futures I generally read.

Dystopian worlds, personal horrors, extreme emotional distress and other such things, while making excellent novels, do take their toll after a while.

I have more of the Dresden Files novels to read, but even the way the world shits all over him while he takes in his stride is too much to bear. I need that story that would be the equivalent to a warm hug accompanying the words "it's all going to be okay".

Read lots of Pratchett!

I think I have 'The Light Fantastic' on my Kindle. I hope it's like a puppy and a kitten and a sloth all playing merrily together and sharing ice cream.

Dead Man

Dystopian worlds, personal horrors, extreme emotional distress and other such things, while making excellent novels, do take their toll after a while.

I have more of the Dresden Files novels to read, but even the way the world shits all over him while he takes in his stride is too much to bear. I need that story that would be the equivalent to a warm hug accompanying the words "it's all going to be okay".

I think I have 'The Light Fantastic' on my Kindle. I hope it's like a puppy and a kitten and a sloth all playing merrily together and sharing ice cream.

Pratchett is great, even the couple that have darker moments end up light and fluffy. If you want something more traditional fantasy, Magician by Feist is well written pulp that has plenty of fuck yeah moments.

Holy shit, my old cricket captain crashed a plane up near Ouyen!

Last time I talked to him was back when he was 16, he and his best mate took his dads ute for a joyride, ended up crashing off a road and killing his best friend!

Brave New World, The Bang-Bang Club, Of Mice and Men, and Into Thin Air.
Only read the two bolded (if you're talking about the Huxley Brave New World), with the latter in high school so I don't remember much about it.

Don't read Brave New World if you're already a bit down. Pratchett is a good suggestion.

Looking at Goodreads (hey, I still remember the password!) I've virtually read no books in the past two years, which in itself is pretty terrible, but you might like some Michael Marshall Smith stuff? It's generally pretty light and fun but not really "comedy".

Now I feel like reading some Pratchett.

Holy shit, my old cricket captain crashed a plane up near Ouyen!
Did you not recently mention someone you knew passed away? Not a good 2013 to have grown up around you...
Too soon?

Danoss

Pratchett is great, even the couple that have darker moments end up light and fluffy. If you want something more traditional fantasy, Magician by Feist is well written pulp that has plenty of fuck yeah moments.

I'm not terribly big on the traditional sword and sorcery fantasy, but I will dive into some Pratchett hopefully for some fun times. I just need a brief reprieve and then it'll be back to doom and gloom or maybe some non-fiction.

Only read the two bolded (if you're talking about the Huxley Brave New World), with the latter in high school so I don't remember much about it.

Don't read Brave New World if you're already a bit down. Pratchett is a good suggestion.

Looking at Goodreads (hey, I still remember the password!) I've virtually read no books in the past two years, which in itself is pretty terrible, but you might like some Michael Marshall Smith stuff? It's generally pretty light and fun but not really "comedy".

Now I feel like reading some Pratchett.

I won't be reading Brave New World, I have an idea of what I'm in for and it won't be uplifting. It is Huxley's Brave New World, and I also have Orwell's 1984 to read for two somewhat opposing views of an unpleasant future. That's the last thing I need.

I haven't read or even heard of Michael Marshall Smith until now. What I'm looking for doesn't have to be comedy, but it should be uplifting. I can empathise and identify with some of the characters in the last few books that I've read and they went through some horrible shit. I just want to get out of my own head for a little while, somewhere nice.

Hopefully that doesn't sound weird or strange.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have 2 weeks of holidays coming up after next week, Plan is pretty much to relax and hopefully get over whatever it is that's bothering me.

Mum did suggest I should go back up to syd for a few days to meet up with sydgaf again. Tempted but not too sure if I will. A few days away could be nice but there's still a few things I wouldn't mind trying to get done / relax while still at home for those 2 weeks.

Glasses hunting tomorrow. Which means me walking up to specsavers and picking something out because i'm totally lazy.

Shaneus

I have 2 weeks of holidays coming up after next week, Plan is pretty much to relax and hopefully get over whatever it is that's bothering me.

Mum did suggest I should go back up to syd for a few days to meet up with sydgaf again. Tempted but not too sure if I will. A few days away could be nice but there's still a few things I wouldn't mind trying to get done / relax while still at home for those 2 weeks.

Glasses hunting tomorrow. Which means me walking up to specsavers and picking something out because i'm totally lazy.
In similar situations of, um, "encouraged" holidays (I prefer to bank them) if I don't accomplish something fairly significant I feel it's usually a waste. Try and go somewhere if you can, because if you stay home and don't do a lot of stuff you'll probably feel just as bad, if not worse than at the start of your break (somewhat like me over the Christmas holiday period).

Rezbit

Definitely relax and take it easy, but I would recommend heading somewhere just to have some real alone time etc. Go to the beach, go camping, go to another city for a few nights, just something small but to get away for a bit. I'm no expert, mind you!

It looks like we get to take Henry home tomorrow morning! Only took seven weeks.

If I'm lucky I might get to finish Xenoblade in a year or so.

Wooo! All the best with Henry VKS!

I reckon you've nailed it.

Awesome! Here's a relevant song for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFxUJtSp4g

Not the only Nick Cave song about a Henry! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmMB8dTwGs

Dead Man

What the fuck is wrong with people?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-...ez-subjected-to-15-minute-racist-rant/4508538

ABC newsreader Jeremy Fernandez says a Sydney bus driver told him he should have moved seats when a woman was verbally abusing him during a 15-minute racist rant this morning.

Fernandez took to Twitter to express his dismay at the attack, which started when he asked the woman to keep an eye on her daughter, who he says was clipping his two-year-old daughter on the head.

"And she just went on this rant and told me, 'How dare you? What are you doing looking at my daughter? Have you been touching her, have you? Do you fancy five-year-olds?'," he said.

"I just thought, 'Oh my God, what have I done? I've picked a fight with someone who's mentally unstable', and I thought I should move. This is not worth ruining my Friday morning for."

He says that as he was contemplating moving seats, she told him to "go back to his country" and called him a "black c***".

Fernandez says he decided not to move, drawing on the example of US civil rights activist Rosa Parks.

"It was really nice to draw on a strong woman and think what would she have done," he said.

"She stayed in her seat. I'm going to stay in my seat.

"The bus driver stopped at one point and said, 'You, get out of your seat and move,' and I said, 'I'm not moving anywhere, I haven't done anything and I'm staying on this bus because I have a right to be here, and she just called me a black c-word so I'm staying put'."

After the woman got off the bus he approached the driver.

"I said 'Look, you have carriage for everyone on the bus. I've just been racially abused for 15 minutes on the back of this bus and you did absolutely nothing'," he said.

"And he said, 'It was your fault - you didn't move'
I mean, you expect crazy racist fuckheads, but what the fuck is up with that driver?

Kritz

Banned
This is going to be an odd, slightly ambiguous post.

Are there legal ramifications to installing a video monitoring system in a business without telling the staff, in private areas of the business? Combined with not paying staff correct amounts, and regular weekly verbal yelling matches at people?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
In similar situations of, um, "encouraged" holidays (I prefer to bank them) if I don't accomplish something fairly significant I feel it's usually a waste. Try and go somewhere if you can, because if you stay home and don't do a lot of stuff you'll probably feel just as bad, if not worse than at the start of your break (somewhat like me over the Christmas holiday period).

This isn't really encouraged, this is more me saying fuck it I need a break and work agreeing of course. So I guess it's 50/50.

I think sitting on my ass doing nothing but playing games would actually be nice. I can catch up on TV as well for stuff i've been missing out on. There's also a handful of things I can do while i'm on my time off that I would like to try and get done.

So there's a mix of doing fuck all and trying to not care about stuff so I don't get overwhelmed with anxiety and actually doing a few things.

Axiom

I don't want to pay $700 for a PS4 dammit.

Having been assaulted by a racial slur spewing drunk on a bus, I avoid getting on one as much as possible - even though a heterosexual white guy I have the least to worry about. I hate the ugly undercurrent of racism that comes out in image macros like that, or when an extended family member makes a snide racist comment as a joke and then get annoyed at me calling them out on it because they didn't mean it.

Even racism aside, there was that thread the other day where people from Melbourne and Sydney were called cockroaches and something else. Never heard it before, and I still can't get over that there's such an interstate rivalry to this day. We're all the same fucking country, get that shit out of your system in sporting events.

And to update my earlier post, date went well but I got comics anyway

spot visits his grandparents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom