• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

The architect of this spiffing scheme to make people's teeth worse because poison ?

backdrop20v20282292zqkd.jpg

Salazar

The anti science brigade just gets louder and louder :(

CUT HEALTHCARE SERVICES

WITHDRAW FLUORIDE FROM THE WATER SUPPLY

HOW YOU LIKE THAT ONE-TWO PUNCH MOFUCKAS

I'll admit, I snigger at Sydney's bungling attempts to introduce something as simple as a cross-service public transport card, but christ. We are properly doomed up here.

Yagharek

The anti science brigade just gets louder and louder :(

I say we cut all Queensland people in councils that vote to remove fluoride out of any Medicare dental rebate programs.

If people want to be wilfully ignorant they can pay for the consequences themselves.

Shaneus

Oh guys, did I tell you?

I'm in love.
m7icX.jpg

I ripped all the Cherry switches out of my The Tank joystick today (no mean feat, was quite the bitch) and put them in this (again, quite the bitch). Buttons and joystick now feel far better. Now all's to do is mod it for PS3/PC/360 use and I'll be set.

But man, portable arcade gaming like that is just... it's beautiful.

Oh guys, did I tell you?

I'm in love.
m7icX.jpg

I ripped all the Cherry switches out of my The Tank joystick today (no mean feat, was quite the bitch) and put them in this (again, quite the bitch). Buttons and joystick now feel far better. Now all's to do is mod it for PS3/PC/360 use and I'll be set.

But man, portable arcade gaming like that is just... it's beautiful.

Stop tempting me.

Shaneus

Stop tempting me.
It's really fucking awesome. Just make sure you have an iPad that's not running iOS6 so you can jailbreak it. There's very little you can do with a vanilla device in comparison to a jailbroken one. I'm currently fucking around with MAME/FBA and just installed an Amiga emulator :D

Oh great, as if our water didn't taste awful enough already. Now we don't even get the healthy teeth payoff.

"It contains lead, arsenic and mercury. Lead in petrol and lead in paint is a toxin, same with mercury, same with arsenic so if they are no good on their own, what makes them so good in fluorine?"

All I can think of is this woman.

Axiom

Fuuuck me. Just came home from seeing a DJ in Melbourne and see the aftermath of the most horrific car accident I've ever seen. One of the cars involved was a Subaru and my family knew I was going up, so the first thing I did when I got back was to message them and let them know.

My sister had only just heard the 5:30am news (I sent the message at 5:39) while my poor mum had been awake since 3:30am :(

Five died, speeding BMW speeding down the wrong side of the road and ran into an overloaded Subaru. Just feel numb as fuck, because apparently it happened shortly after 1am and my mate and I were passing through that area half an hour earlier.

I guess this is what shock feels like, hey?

Edit: Fuck, female driver was the one in the BMW. I'm guessing drugs. Or world's worst fucking suicide attempt.

After reading this earlier, my sister got a phone call from her boyfriend to tell her that his best mates ex wife was just killed in a car accident. This girl had been sending my sister's boyfriend text messages that were a bit inappropriate and she'd thought nasty things about her, and now feels horribly guilty.

Turns out she was the driver of that BMW.

I won't share the personal details I've come across, but yeah, fucked up.

It's really fucking awesome. Just make sure you have an iPad that's not running iOS6 so you can jailbreak it. There's very little you can do with a vanilla device in comparison to a jailbroken one. I'm currently fucking around with MAME/FBA and just installed an Amiga emulator :D

Well that solves that, no iCade for me.

Yagharek

"I want the truth to be told. This is brain-altering stuff," he said.

"Fluoride is not essential. We don't need it. Nature hasn't got this wrong.

"It's not fluoride, it's fluorine. It's hydrofluorosilicic acid.

"It contains lead, arsenic and mercury. Lead in petrol and lead in paint is a toxin, same with mercury, same with arsenic so if they are no good on their own, what makes them so good in fluorine?"

Just to confirm, hexafluorosilicilic acid is formed form hydrogen, fluoride and silicon.

Not arsenic.
Not mercury.
Not lead.

Cant journalists even fact check something that is a blatantly false claim?

Dead Man

Just to confirm, hexafluorosilicilic acid is formed form hydrogen, fluoride and silicon.

Not arsenic.
Not mercury.
Not lead.

If you fact check you aren't being fair and balanced. It pains me to see that journalism in Australia has fallen to the same level as the US, just repeating statements, with no actual fact checking or investigation of their own.

Yagharek

At this point I need to ask does that cunt think there isn't a single student of chemistry, past or present, in all of Queensland?

What a fucking space cadet.

Danoss

So, AusGAF. In particular, somewhat fashion-conscious AusGAF. I need a bag for with which to carry my iPad in, that looks both stylish and sophisticated, smart yet sexy, not unlike myself.

I am not stylish in any way whatsoever, but here's what I'd use if I had an iPad (I have the bag, but no iPad to go in it). As I'm into photography and there is no one bag that suits all occasions, I have multiple bags so I have one for whatever the situation calls for.

One such bag is the Think Tank Retrospective 7. An excellent shoulder bag that won't slip off your shoulder and holds its shape very well. I can carry my SLR and a couple of lenses; an SLR, two lenses and a flash; or an SLR, two lenses and a drink bottle, you get the idea. You can remove all the partitions for camera equipment and put whatever the hell you want in its place. There is a separate compartment designed specifically for an iPad or similar sized tablet. I bought mine locally from Hypop since they have the best price and free delivery. It comes in Pinestone, Blue Slate and Black.

Probably not your cup of tea, but an excellent shoulder bag nonetheless.

Why is Queensland so out of touch with reality? And the rest of the country. They are seriously mental up there.
Zero fucking surprise when the Libs start losing the mental paranoid vote to Katter and Palmer they do something fucking idiotic like this.

Not arsenic.
Not mercury.
Not lead.

In the journalist's defence it was the MP that said that not him. And knowing the angle the Courier wanted debunking the hysteria wasn't their aim. It should be. But it never is.

And fucking hell what is with these pain in the arse noise making ads on GAF all over a sudden?

Shaneus

Well that solves that, no iCade for me.
Yeah, probably a wise decision. Unless you managed to nab MAME when it was on the proper app store a while back then it's hard(ish) to recommend. Quite a few games support it, but it's easier to justify if you're jailbroken.

I don't think an iOS6 j/b is far off at all, so you may be able to justify getting one yet!
I am not stylish in any way whatsoever, but here's what I'd use if I had an iPad (I have the bag, but no iPad to go in it). As I'm into photography and there is no one bag that suits all occasions, I have multiple bags so I have one for whatever the situation calls for.

One such bag is the Think Tank Retrospective 7. An excellent shoulder bag that won't slip off your shoulder and holds its shape very well. I can carry my SLR and a couple of lenses; an SLR, two lenses and a flash; or an SLR, two lenses and a drink bottle, you get the idea. You can remove all the partitions for camera equipment and put whatever the hell you want in its place. There is a separate compartment designed specifically for an iPad or similar sized tablet. I bought mine locally from Hypop since they have the best price and free delivery. It comes in Pinestone, Blue Slate and Black.

Probably not your cup of tea, but an excellent shoulder bag nonetheless.
That actually looks pretty nifty! Little big for what I'd want it for (it's really only intended for commuting to/from work) but if ever I need anything bigger it'd definitely be one I'd go for.

Yagharek

The journalists should have quoted the mp and then someone qualified to talk about the subject. With a basic grasp of science at least.

Not reporting facts is what leads to people not getting immunisation, believing there is a problem with evolutionary theory or climate scepticism. It basically waves a red flag for tinfoil hat wearing, anti-science, self identifying "experts" who argue from a platform of stupendous ignorance.

Dead Man

Zero fucking surprise when the Libs start losing the mental paranoid vote to Katter and Palmer they do something fucking idiotic like this.

In the journalist's defence it was the MP that said that not him. And knowing the angle the Courier wanted debunking the hysteria wasn't their aim. It should be. But it never is.

And fucking hell what is with these pain in the arse noise making ads on GAF all over a sudden?

I PM'd Evilore about them yesterday but no response yet that I can see. They fucking suck.

The journalists should have quoted the mp and then someone qualified to talk about the subject. With a basic grasp of science at least.

Not reporting facts is what leads to people not getting immunisation, believing there is a problem with evolutionary theory or climate scepticism. It basically waves a red flag for tinfoil hat wearing, anti-science, self identifying "experts" who argue from a platform of stupendous ignorance.

Exactly.

Echoplx

Ordered a Samsung 830 128GB drive and 8GB ram, should be a nice overall performance increase. Holding out till Haswell/GTX7xx for my full system upgrade.

Went to the Melbourne Heart/Perth Glory football match today, Choc tweeted to me only 4500 people attended. A bit sad. Heart won with a goal in the 88th minute, would've been happy even if it wasn't a win for the local team.

Weather was super odd. It was 37 when we got there, about 18 and raining when we left. When the sun was out I was simultaneously hot and cold. Melbourne often has four seasons in one day, but not usually at the same time!

Also bought two beer glasses (one Ritzenhoff and one 1L Hofbrau glass the wife found to replace one I pilfered from the Englischergarten in Munich in 2007 which was impaled in the post) at an antique bazaar.

Since I was excited about the new glass I filled it with 1L of homebrew wheat beer which seems about the only way The Expendables 2 is watchable.

/livejournal

Salazar

I'm afraid I won't be able to contain my hollow laughter when these fucking intolerable braindead twerps organise their party with lamingtons and fizzy drinks because the day, the blessed day, has come when they don't have sicko dentist poison in their water.

And just fucking :lol "changes in diet can protect teeth"

YOU DON'T GET TO TELL CLINT AND GLADYS WHAT TO EAT, FUCKFACE. THIS IS AN AXIOM, A DOXA, OF AUSTRALIAN SOCIAL POLITICS.

Not even slightly disputing that.

what is it exactly you do for a living

EDUCATION Minister John-Paul Langbroek has slapped down the LNP backbencher leading a party room push to have fluoride removed from drinking water.

Mr Langbroek yesterday suggested backbencher Jason Woodforth's time would be better spent shoring up his hold on the marginal electorate of Nudgee than publicly pushing his view that the use of fluoride was "mass medicating people" with a "brain-altering poison".

A 2007 Galaxy Poll for The Courier-Mail found 62 per cent of Queenslanders wanted fluoride while 29 per cent were opposed.

The state's chief health officer Jeannette Young said: "Queensland Health recognises the benefits to the oral health of the community that fluoridation provides. Fluoride at the level used in Queensland to fluoridate the drinking water supply is safe."

Australian Medical Association Queensland president Alex Markwell said Mr Woodforth's comments were "irresponsible".

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/minister-and-former-dentist-john-paul-langbroek-tells-backbencher-jason-woodforth-to-concentrate-on-his-electorate/story-e6freoof-1226532817150
Langbroek is a former dentist.

A bit of common sense on this ridiculous issue

Fuck Peter Jackson. 12/13/14 Dec for the whole fucking world except Australia. Fucker.

/chocrant

I'd normally be angry at that, but I have good memories of seeing the Lord of the Rings movies on various boxing days so I can forgive New Line on the basis of nostalgic tradition.

This year has been particularly shitty for Australia movie-wise :/

Release dates aside, I'm pretty convinced this has been the best year of movies ever. There have been so many awesome ones.

Omikron

Speaking of fluoride, or lack of, my wife works in a Kindergarten in a fairly affluent suburb where drinking largely bottled water appears to be prevalent and she notes that many of the kids there have pretty bad teeth. Not sure if related, or just circumstantial, but would not be surprised.

Tap water is good for you kids.

Speaking of fluoride, or lack of, my wife works in a Kindergarten in a fairly affluent suburb where drinking largely bottled water appears to be prevalent and she notes that many of the kids there have pretty bad teeth. Not sure if related, or just circumstantial, but would not be surprised.

I grew up on a farm with rain water, which, while amazing tasting, contained no flouride so my parents made me and my brother take these gross tablets. Actually thinking about it I'm fairly sure they were mint flavoured which sounds delicious.

I'd normally be angry at that, but I have good memories of seeing the Lord of the Rings movies on various boxing days so I can forgive New Line on the basis of nostalgic tradition.
Wreck It Ralph has me tied up already for Boxing Day.

Maybe they don't brush their kids teeth! Or at least the help don't do it enough.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

To be fair - while fluoridated water is undoubtedly beneficial for teeth and supported by evidence to prevent tooth cavities. There's probably more to your anecdote to take in account like diet, lifestyle (how often they brush / floss) etc for those kids. Not to mention tap water isn't the only source of fluoride available, as it can be found in toothpastes, mouthwashes, supplements etc.:p
Release dates aside, I'm pretty convinced this has been the best year of movies ever. There have been so many awesome ones.
I've seen SO MANY awesome films this year. Bring on the jan-march 2013 craziness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom