• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Japanese pubs are making the same excuses and also made them for their Wii support (or lack thereof). I believe Konami was actually the first to offer that up.

Well boo to them too.

That said, I think its a safe prediction that by the end of the year there will be more good third party Japanese games out than Western ones. Just like 3DS.

Shaneus

Alright, I thought this was funny. I will let the Rayman thing go now though okay Shaneus.
Oh, I don't really care either way... I was more saying it for myself than the rest of this thread. That sort of thing I tend to invest way too much time in before I pull myself away and think "fuck, that was a waste of time, looking up all that shit". But don't let me stop you at all :)

Western publishers have looked hard for their Catch 22 getout clause and are abandoning the system before its 3 months old.
They haven't needed to look for one since the N64. The answer is that first party games sell well, and third party ones don't. Other than that, there's always the new console catch 22 with any system.

They (publishers) onboarded with Wii because of it's insane popularity. Where were they with the GameCube? Wii was an anomaly and we're now returning to the status quo of Nintendo games selling well and the rare gem.

Yagharek

Where were they with Wii? Or DS for that matter? I recall very little but test games and C grade rubbish for the most part. I think we can all stop pretending that third party support on Nintendo systems has been anything but pathetic since SNES era.

As far as new console catch 22 goes, publishers were vastly more likely to give PS3 a chance during quiet years 1 and 2, than they seem to be with Wii U, even though both consoles are follow ups to previous generation leaders. Reading through the DICE thread of cancelled Wii U projects, it seems publishers aren't giving the system the chance in the first year (hence catch 22) but we all know they will practice far more patience with PS4/XBox 3 in due time even if they are slower off the mark.

hamchan

The DS had amazing support from both 1st and 3rd party. Matches the PS2 in terms of library quality. Nintendo handhelds have always dominated.

With the WiiU I can see things just returning to N64 and GameCube levels.

Yagharek

The DS had amazing support from both 1st and 3rd party. Matches the PS2 in terms of library quality. Nintendo handhelds have always dominated.

With the WiiU I can see things just returning to N64 and GameCube levels.

Name me the western third party DS games that were great.

hamchan

Name me the western third party DS games that were great.

Oh we were talking about Western devs? Oops.

I feel Western devs have always been focused on console and PC development. I'll agree with you that 3rd parties hate Nintendo, I thought that was rather well known everywhere. MS and Sony have always done far better to court and support these devs.

Yagharek

Oh we were talking about Western devs? Oops.

I feel Western devs have always been focused on console and PC development. I'll agree with you that 3rd parties hate Nintendo, I thought that was rather well known everywhere. MS and Sony have always done far better to court and support these devs.

I think we see eye to eye on this. I have been generally talking western third parties this past page or so. They generally offer up scraps to nintendo systems, with scant exceptions.

Anyway, I'm "happy" to go into Wii U knowing it will only get first party support and a handful of third party gems. It was the same on Gamecube, and that in itself was a great system I still get enjoyment out of. But it is pathetic to listen to the excuses third parties come up with. If the system sells poorly, they cite sales. If it sells well, they blame first party software sales.

Damned either way.

Unless Nintendo keep bankrolling stuff like the Platinum games they've currently got in development Wii U is going to be even worse off than Gamecube. Won't mind that personally if Nintendo themselves keep up the level of quality their own software had on the Wii, but they probably won't be happy with 20 million system sales in a world of 70 million+.

Nintendo have never had support since Sony came onto the scene and was much more willing to court Western publishers. Wii got a handful of cool games, like Red Steel 2, but for the most part it was just cheap shovelware to try and make a quick buck.

lol australia

Finch continues to be terrible this series.

I should turn the game on, forgot that there was still a game to go!

Rezbit

Yep, Finch is not an international standard cricketer. I think the same about Shaun Marsh, for whatever reason they just don't have it in them to succeed.

Just found a place (via GAF) that I can get a six pack of various Westvleteren beers...

... for $190 shipped.

I kinda want to order it.

Well this is weird. I log onto AusGAF for the first time in forever and the top posts on the page are about video games ? What has happened to this place in my absence?

Are they smuggled into the country in the bowels of clog wearing, big butted Monks?
Just about. It's like 7-10 Euros locally, but the monks who sell it from their abbey only open for an hour or two each day, there's a (very small) maximum number they'll sell you per month, and you have to call to make an appointment.

Reportedly their beer (particularly the Westvleteren 12) is very good, but maybe not worth the effort. As a result it's made a huge name for itself because of its scarcity. $30 a bottle isn't terrible I suppose.

$30 a bottle? Cost/Taste ratio wouldn't be in there favour! Unless it is some tears of the gods type stuff.

Also just saw the lineup for Australia today in the cricket. C team indeed.

Maaan I wish I had that much money to blow.

Happy year of the snake! Completely forgot it being Chinese new year until someone pulled out a little red packet to pay.

Just about. It's like 7-10 Euros locally, but the monks who sell it from their abbey only open for an hour or two each day, there's a (very small) maximum number they'll sell you per month, and you have to call to make an appointment.

Reportedly their beer (particularly the Westvleteren 12) is very good, but maybe not worth the effort. As a result it's made a huge name for itself because of its scarcity. $30 a bottle isn't terrible I suppose.

Yes it is

Nice! Great batting!
Muglh.gif

Slow first 25 but the last have been fantastic batting.

EDIT: Akai APC40 Ableton Controller from Amazon would be mighty tempting if I had $210 sitting around

Gazunta

Mario said:
Truth bombs
You think things sound bad now? Wait until the PS4 and Xbox 362 turn up. It's going to be a bloodbath. The market for super expensive consoles and super expensive games is gone. Not going, not in a downward trend, just flat out gone.

You think things sound bad now? Wait until the PS4 and Xbox 362 turn up. It's going to be a bloodbath. The market for super expensive consoles and super expensive games is gone. Not going, not in a downward trend, just flat out gone.

Can't wait to buy ports of Giana Sisters DS, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Final Fantasy III and The World Ends With You for a dollar each on my Ouya.

Oh wait, the traditional handheld market is dying out too, but without those initial releases budgeted for and cushioned by the release on those kinds of systems I won't get that either.

Guess Kickstarted-only gaming is the future. Well that and Llamasoft, but Space Giraffe is terrible no matter how much you try to spin it.

Now make my Green Beret comic.

Yagharek

All consoles doomed?

Fuck. Time to get the lifeboat (GameCube and ps2) ready.

Which is why, as much as GAF hates it, I think Microsoft's efforts to position the Xbox as an entertainment hub is genius. It needs to be able to justify its price tag better if it's going to compete with work-play tablets etc for people's money.

Yagharek

If you're going for a multimedia hub though, the threshold for success is much higher than any console has gone before. And will probably require iterative updates every few years like ipads.

And Microsoft are incapable of doing that well. Zune, surface and windows phone are a testament to that.

I don't know man, if you tell people it does what your Foxtel box, your Playstation and your AppleTV do all at once that's a fairly compelling argument.

Would that need a new iteration every year or so? I'm actually asking, because I'm not sure what next year's technology would add?

Dead Man

I don't know man, if you tell people it does what your Foxtel box, your Playstation and your AppleTV do all at once that's a fairly compelling argument.

Would that need a new iteration every year or so? I'm actually asking, because I'm not sure what next year's technology would add?

Your what? I don't think MS or Sony is gong to be able to convine people to have their console and nothing else attached to the TV unless they are people that were buying one for the games anyway.

Yagharek

More power?

And yeah, I cant see Microsoft getting licenses for all that tv content in Australia that would make it meaningful like in America. In fact, outside of America I cant see them getting much.

Either Apple or Google will grab that market, ms aren't even in the same league.

Your what? I don't think MS or Sony is gong to be able to convine people to have their console and nothing else attached to the TV unless they are people that were buying one for the games anyway.

Little apple box, is essentially useless until you jailbreak it?

More power?

And yeah, I cant see Microsoft getting licenses for all that tv content in Australia that would make it meaningful like in America. In fact, outside of America I cant see them getting much.

Either Apple or Google will grab that market, ms aren't even in the same league.

Good point. There's the foxtel subscription but you need packaged in stuff to blow people away, not more things to pay for.

Dead Man

Little apple box, is essentially useless until you jailbreak it?

Good point. There's the foxtel subscription but you need packaged in stuff to blow people away, not more things to pay for.

:) That's what I meant, telling people it can do what AppleTV does is not really a selling point.

Yagharek

The same applies to Wii u and tvii. Useless in Australia.

Sony could do better if their left hand movie group talked to their right hand hardware group, but that will be when hell freezes over.

You're into Ableton? Do you know how to use it?

God damn, I wish I knew how to use that fucking thing.

I tried once, and gave up soon after.

Just found a place (via GAF) that I can get a six pack of various Westvleteren beers...

... for $190 shipped.

I kinda want to order it.

Would be nice to try it once, though at $30 a bottle I'd be hard pressed.

though i did have a glass of blue label before so maybe I would spend $30 on beer

Yagharek

The system works, all the evidence pointed to it being out. The infield umpire made the right choice. The dude off the field decided he wanted to ignore all evidence and do the wrong thing instead.

The system works except when the system is broken. Like communism and capitalism and national lampoons film critiques by markot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom