• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Shaun Micallef should run for office. I mean, look at him. He looks so ... stately

iNpYBmC.jpg

Jintor

Aliens embargo is up in half an hour by the sounds of it and I cannot wait for the bloodbath that is to come

It's bad of me, I know, but...

I bet there will still be some 7's. One went up yesterday before being pulled pretty quickly lol.

Didn't some of Bizarre wind up in a new studio working on xbox stuff, and some others wind up at Evolution along with ex Studio Liverpool people on a PS4 product?

As in, Wipeout x PGR talent.

That would/could be something special, almost like StarFox x Metroid.

I'm not cooking my chickens until they are plucked, good man.

My heart could not take a Wipeout or PGR title seeming like a certainty only to be kicked in the ballbag once again by bean counters.

Shaneus

Didn't some of Bizarre wind up in a new studio working on xbox stuff, and some others wind up at Evolution along with ex Studio Liverpool people on a PS4 product?

As in, Wipeout x PGR talent.

That would/could be something special, almost like StarFox x Metroid.
Only 2 people (according to LinkedIn) from Bizarre are at Evolution, compared to 23 at Lucid (who are essentially the official Bizarre phoenix, so to speak). One of the main guys now heads up (or something) Sumo and there's another small handful who started a team called Hogrocket (who seem to focus mostly/entirely on iOS titles).

Shaneus

Will pass on Destructoid, give the Edge review a bash though.

Is there an OT for it, or even just a review thread? And have Gearbox said who made the SP game that was apparently so shit?

PS. Best Aliens-themed game evar:
zj5uFUOl.jpg

(Not counting Capcom's Alien vs. Predator... because that's not solely based on the Alien franchise)

Edit: What the fuck? They named the android on the ship Rook (as opposed to Bishop)? That's just fucking pathetic.

Is there an OT for it, or even just a review thread? And have Gearbox said who made the SP game that was apparently so shit?

PS. Best Aliens-themed game evar:
zj5uFUOl.jpg

(Not counting Capcom's Alien vs. Predator... because that's not solely based on the Alien franchise)

Edit: What the fuck? They named the android on the ship Rook (as opposed to Bishop)? That's just fucking pathetic.

Nope, there's still a Bishop. No character in the game known as Rook.

Just finished CM now, actually. Yeah...it ain't great. Going back to play a bunch more AvP 2000/AvP2 to wash away the taste.

Yagharek

So, Ive finally started up the Wii U (took ~2.5 hours to charge the pad) and have started the firmware update. Set the clock for 1742 WST, I will update the time taken for all updates to complete.

First impressions are just of the OS, but it is nice and clean and 'friendly' (easy?) as the Vita intro setup. If these two systems are both doomed, I don't know if I want a successful one.

Oh, and it auto detected wifi easy, menu loading isn't slow and it is comfy as hell to hold the controller. Instantly it makes me wonder if the segment of people throwing hissy fits on day one weren't slightly magnifying a few minor qualms.

Goddamn it markot, you just had to post one correct opinion didn't you.

Infestation is pretty rad. Also only Alien game I've played, tho.
Yup, $20 from BeatTheBomb locally! Same price on OzGameShop but you have to wait 2 weeks rather than 2-5 days. They had one copy left for $13 before it got snapped up when I tweeted the link to Vook.

Destructoid is one of the VERY few places also use their own screenshots rather than publisher approved bullshots so make sure to checkout the PC shots that Sterling took. Kinda sick of seeing the same 4 pictures on every Aliens review :/

Plus even though he is a troll I agree with his opinion a lot of the time. He even recommended people play Wolfenstein 2009 or Singularity rather than this half arsed Aliens game!

Also the AvP arcade game was INSANE. Way beyond my abilities

I thought it was a Bish copy called Rook from what I read.
Fuck me, NeoGAF mods sure do get around.

Danoss

Went and had dinner with a friend tonight, which was awesome. We went to a place called, simply, 'Chinese Noodle Restaurant' in Chinatown and holy shit, what a bargain, no wonder the place was packed out! 12 pan fried dumplings for $8.80! We walked out, completely stuffed with plenty of dumplings, water and tea for just shy of $23. So good.

So I beat Super Mario Land today for the first time. I was getting into the swing of things when it was suddenly over. Also, that game is weird.

Donkey Kong for the 3DS VC is totally worth the price of entry. So good.

So I beat Super Mario Land today for the first time. I was getting into the swing of things when it was suddenly over. Also, that game is weird.

For my money Super Mario Land is more interesting as a historical curiosity than anything at this point, but Donkey Kong is definitely legit.

i looved mario land, totally regret never playing 2..

They're on Virtual Console so you totally could!

Mario Land, like I said, is more interesting for the way it completely swerves from what has become standard for the series in the time since and suffers from being a launch game on weak hardware. Mario Land 2 isn't fantastic but plays a lot better than the first and does a lot of different, interesting things with its world themes that makes it stand out in this age of grass/ice/fire/etc. homogenisation.

Yagharek

Went and had dinner with a friend tonight, which was awesome. We went to a place called, simply, 'Chinese Noodle Restaurant' in Chinatown and holy shit, what a bargain, no wonder the place was packed out! 12 pan fried dumplings for $8.80! We walked out, completely stuffed with plenty of dumplings, water and tea for just shy of $23. So good.

I learnt in Melbourne never to write something off because it looks cheap. Some incredible cheap Indian food especially down in West Footscray.

Did you get all the gold flags? With Mario and Luigi? And the bonus level?

Also, why is it good? Ive only ever played the Game&Watch version.

For my money Super Mario Land is more interesting as a historical curiosity than anything at this point, but Donkey Kong is definitely legit.

Also, while we're throwing out recommendations, Game Gear Shinobi should be an insta-buy. Dragon Crystal is good too.

Dead Man

Best value for money in Adelaide is found in the ridiuclously small Chinatown we have.

It's got like 4 worlds and weird enemies, like killer ballerinas in the last few levels.
They're on Virtual Console so you totally could!

Mario Land, like I said, is more interesting for the way it completely swerves from what has become standard for the series in the time since and suffers from being a launch game on weak hardware. Mario Land 2 isn't fantastic but plays a lot better than the first and does a lot of different, interesting things with its world themes that makes it stand out in this age of grass/ice/fire/etc. homogenisation.
I'm thinking of checking it out. I only got SML in the Month of Mario sale because it was $2 or something. Is it worth it?
Did you get all the gold flags? With Mario and Luigi? And the bonus level?

Also, why is it good? Ive only ever played the Game&Watch version.
Gold flags? You mean the higher doors, right? If we're talking about SM3DL, then yes, and without the tanooki suit too.

DK for the Gameboy is a marvelous game that just keeps on giving and is packed with content. It's the ultimate culmination of the original Donkey Kong concept, with an SMB3 style world map (albeit simplified), a surprisingly agile Mario with a wide moveset and enough difficulty to keep veterans interested.

Basically it's Donkey Kong Country on the Gameboy if DKC were a puzzle platformer as opposed to an action platformer.

Gargoyle's Quest is another must-have. Third best GB/C game on the system behind Donkey Kong and Link's Awakening.
Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow have got to be up there too, but those are never coming to the VC.

I need to check out Dragon Crystal and Shinobi sometime.

I'm thinking of checking it out. I only got SML in the Month of Mario sale because it was $2 or something. Is it worth it?

Mayyybe? Like I said, it plays better than the first (basically feels like Super Mario World control-wise, but a tad slower and with kind of the inverse of the original SML's tiny sprites where you instead have things occasionally taking up a tad too much screen space), isn't quiet as low on content, has some interesting stage motifs (though maybe doesn't get quite as crazy as the Chinese hopping vampire things from the first) and is a little more open-ended with its world map and progression but the level design underneath that is kinda weak enough that I'm not sure it's really good enough for me to readily recommend it.

I would say "maybe wait for another sale and grab it then" but it's Nintendo so you never know when another sale's coming along. Could probably go worse for the price they're asking, I didn't love it but I don't really regret the time I spent with it either.

Danoss

I learnt in Melbourne never to write something off because it looks cheap. Some incredible cheap Indian food especially down in West Footscray.

At some of the prices they sell stuff, I don't know how they keep it up. Pure volume is the only way I can think of.

Best value for money in Adelaide is found in the ridiuclously small Chinatown we have.

I have no doubt of that. Outside of Chinatown, Pho is always great value. Love a good bowl of Pho, though I haven't had it for almost a year. I'll have to rectify that and grab some next time I'm out.

That's OK. Yeah, did all that and beat the secret level with Luigi too. I did both without the Tanooki suit, since it breaks up the flow of that level something fierce and makes you miss crucial jumps.

Yagharek

Unlikely :(

Interesting news about next gen overnight. Pretty much expected going by hardware designs but BC looks to be... wait for it... a thing of the past.

No BC, no used games, always online. Sounds like the incentive for me to upgrade anything else is approaching zero rapidly.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Interesting news about next gen overnight. Pretty much expected going by hardware designs but BC looks to be... wait for it... a thing of the past.

No BC, no used games, always online. Sounds like the incentive for me to upgrade anything else is approaching zero rapidly.

or be thankful for the wiiU!

Dead Man

Just saw that. Looks like I won't be buying any new consoles until GT6 is out, and even then, maybe, given how GT5 turned out.

That's the view inside the bizarre creations studio :(
Man, that's one hell of an office.

Where's that from? Pretty balls. Seems like an odd decision considering the growth of things like Games on Demand. And Sony's purchase of that streaming company. Gakai? Whatever, I can't be bothered googling it.

One of these consoles better be at least minorly kick arse. No matter what PCs do I really don't have much interest in getting back into playing games on them, so I'm pretty much locked into a console or two. It's one of the stupidest opinions I have and I can't get over it. I know the games are cheaper, I know I can play them on a TV from the couch, and I know they'll look better. But meh. I just couldn't be fucked when I can just use a console that's already set up to go. I know how dumb that is. It's like I enjoy cutting myself.

Back to BC, weren't there those same rumours about no BC before this gen too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom