• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Man, that's one hell of an office.

Where's that from? Pretty balls. Seems like an odd decision considering the growth of things like Games on Demand. And Sony's purchase of that streaming company. Gakai? Whatever, I can't be bothered googling it.

One of these consoles better be at least minorly kick arse. No matter what PCs do I really don't have much interest in getting back into playing games on them, so I'm pretty much locked into a console or two. It's one of the stupidest opinions I have and I can't get over it. I know the games are cheaper, I know I can play them on a TV from the couch, and I know they'll look better. But meh. I just couldn't be fucked when I can just use a console that's already set up to go. I know how dumb that is. It's like I enjoy cutting myself.

Back to BC, weren't there those same rumours about no BC before this gen too?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512999

I'm struggling to think of a time where I've used backwards compatibility on any console, ever.

Oh wait, yes, the DS with GBA games. Once.

To me it's a non-issue, just like used games. Neither of these things affect me at all. I realise they're showstoppers for some, but I couldn't care less about them.

(However I did buy a bunch of NES and SNES games in Japan, so I guess I do care about used games at least a little bit)

Yagharek

The irony here is Wii U has no account system so apparently your games are jeopardy.
But ps360 have accounts and your games now have an expiry date once the system breaks (inevitable) and they only sell next gen units.

This is an industry in its death throes people.

UNKcpJIl.jpg
I can see my house from there!

Unlikely :(

Interesting news about next gen overnight. Pretty much expected going by hardware designs but BC looks to be... wait for it... a thing of the past.

No BC, no used games, always online. Sounds like the incentive for me to upgrade anything else is approaching zero rapidly.

I still think Sony will allow used games and BC (PSN stuff only probably). They didn't follow MS into pay-for-MP and I think they will try and differentiate their service/product still.

Also if they allow used games they can get some support from retailers who financially will be better off telling MS to get stuffed.

Backwards compatibility is just a nicety I can do without, but no used games is an absolute deal breaker. Most of my purchases are new, but what about a game that's out of print or otherwise not readily available new? Didn't hear about a game when it was new? Stiff shit, you can't play that now.

Stackboy

The no used games is still pretty blatant speculation. I'm willing to wait for the announcements and see if it's actually true.

If anyone has any hard facts, I'd like to see them.

Omikron

Where's that from? Pretty balls. Seems like an odd decision considering the growth of things like Games on Demand. And Sony's purchase of that streaming company. Gakai? Whatever, I can't be bothered googling it.

One of these consoles better be at least minorly kick arse. No matter what PCs do I really don't have much interest in getting back into playing games on them, so I'm pretty much locked into a console or two. It's one of the stupidest opinions I have and I can't get over it. I know the games are cheaper, I know I can play them on a TV from the couch, and I know they'll look better. But meh. I just couldn't be fucked when I can just use a console that's already set up to go. I know how dumb that is. It's like I enjoy cutting myself.

Back to BC, weren't there those same rumours about no BC before this gen too?

Some sort of 'steambox' may be for you? Depends how far they go down the line of standardisation and simplification I guess.

Someone has my copies of Alpha Protocol, so the only way I could replay it last week was to grab a pre-owned copy from EB for $14. Fuck a world that won't allow that.

I'm struggling to think of a time where I've used backwards compatibility on any console, ever.

To me it's a non-issue, just like used games. Neither of these things affect me at all. I realise they're showstoppers for some, but I couldn't care less about them.

(However I did buy a bunch of NES and SNES games in Japan, so I guess I do care about used games at least a little bit)
I'm mainly playing DS games on my 3DS (come onnnnn Atlus and Fire Emblem), I picked up a ton of PS2 games last year that I would love to play on my PS3 but have been replaying a lot of PSOne titles on it anyway (not to mention all the PSOne/PS2 titles that you can buy through the store or get from PS+).

I replayed Psychonauts on the 360 not too long ago too!

The irony here is Wii U has no account system so apparently your games are jeopardy.
But ps360 have accounts and your games now have an expiry date once the system breaks (inevitable) and they only sell next gen units.

This is an industry in its death throes people.
Isn't the same true of the WiiU? If your WiiU breaks and they don't sell any more WiiU's?

I still don't think they'll prevent used games at all.

Worst case scenario, each game will come with a one-time-use code. When you first load the game, if it's not registered to your account, you put in that code (or linked to the disc ID). If you don't have a code, you pay ten bucks or whatever which goes to the publisher and platform owner.

jambo

I still don't get the whole anti-used games brigade.

If movie studios implemented a system where by you had to pay a few bucks to "unlock" a second hand DVD/Blu-ray, there would be outrage.

Plus I don't understand their argument about the devs/pubs not getting money. They already got money in the fucking first place when the original person bought it. I can kinda understand this argument for online passes, but if I have to pay $10 to unlock a second hand SP game then fuck everything.

Some sort of 'steambox' may be for you? Depends how far they go down the line of standardisation and simplification I guess.

I'd probably get one, depending on price. I don't get a massive boner for Steam like some people, I mean Valve is still a company trying to make money like any other, and some of the shit people are up in arms about the next Xbox possibly doing Steam alrady does. But it sounds rad. And if it had HL3 on it I'd buy the shit out of it.

Actually yeah. That's a good point. Still it's a nice feature to have. Thinking about it it's probably not a game changer though

Yagharek

I still think Sony will allow used games and BC (PSN stuff only probably). They didn't follow MS into pay-for-MP and I think they will try and differentiate their service/product still.

Also if they allow used games they can get some support from retailers who financially will be better off telling MS to get stuffed.

How can they offer bc when they are going from cell and an nvidia card to a conventional amd or ati setup with completely different architecture? PSN games will need a complete overhaul surely?

As for Wii transfers, of course it isn't a perfect situation but their record is 2 from 2 for allowing complete transfers of all games to the new systems. There are a handful of games or apps that dont transfer though, like lost winds, flipnote studio and a couple of dsi ware games.

Yagharek

Isn't the same true of the WiiU? If your WiiU breaks and they don't sell any more WiiU's?

Going by track record you will be able to transfer them to their next console assuming it's not a completely different concept. They have supported ds to 3ds and Wii to Wii U transfers. Microsoft didn't even allow Xbox 1 dlc to carry over. They made you pay twice in some cases.

hirokazu

Interesting news about next gen overnight. Pretty much expected going by hardware designs but BC looks to be... wait for it... a thing of the past.

No BC, no used games, always online. Sounds like the incentive for me to upgrade anything else is approaching zero rapidly.

Yeah, no BC is hugely disappointing, but not unexpected. I'd ideally like to have a PS4 at my apartment and move the PS3 to the home cinema at my parent's so I can play games there when I'm bored.

Anyway, there's still a chance they'll release a dongle with the necessary PS3 hardware - CELL, etc to do BC or they might do it by streaming via the Gaikai tech. I'd much prefer buying a dongle to enable BC. Gaikai, I suspect would require a PS+ subscription and I'm not a fan of subscription-based services since I don't really play games that often.

I doubt a dongle would happen. Much better for them to just make people pay money for a digital copy through Gaikai (whether it be subscription levels, buying or renting individual games).

How can they offer bc when they are going from cell and an nvidia card to a conventional amd or ati setup with completely different architecture? PSN games will need a complete overhaul surely?

As for Wii transfers, of course it isn't a perfect situation but their record is 2 from 2 for allowing complete transfers of all games to the new systems. There are a handful of games or apps that dont transfer though, like lost winds, flipnote studio and a couple of dsi ware games.

I should have stated PSN games like Super Stardust and the like, not full retail titles. If they can get them running on Vita I would expect them to work on PS4.

Sony and MS haven't had a recent transfer of content like Nintendo, 2005 was a hell of a long time ago in regards to technology. I guess it will also depend if it is a baby step forward in terms of technology (like DS -> 3DS) or a big leap, which could make it really tricky to get up and running like you said. Sony didn't even have an online market for their last generation, the move from PSP -> Vita has been pretty good though. Time will tell!

hirokazu

Backwards compatibility is just a nicety I can do without, but no used games is an absolute deal breaker. Most of my purchases are new, but what about a game that's out of print or otherwise not readily available new? Didn't hear about a game when it was new? Stiff shit, you can't play that now.

Yeah, I'm not really affected by no used games since I buy new 99.9% of the time and don't really sell unless I ended up with two copies, but that's a really good point.

I suppose their justification will be to sell you the digital version at a high price if you want it.

hirokazu

I should have stated PSN games like Super Stardust and the like, not full retail titles. If they can get them running on Vita I would expect them to work on PS4.

The issue with software emulation for a system they can't get anywhere close to 100% emulation is it'd be incredibly dependent on a game-by-game basis, rather than a blanket "all your PSN games will work!" The PS2 games available on PSN is an example of this.

Yagharek

Sony and MS haven't had a recent transfer of content like Nintendo, 2005 was a hell of a long time ago in regards to technology. I guess it will also depend if it is a baby step forward in terms of technology (like DS -> 3DS) or a big leap, which could make it really tricky to get up and running like you said. Sony didn't even have an online market for their last generation, the move from PSP -> Vita has been pretty good though. Time will tell!

I WAS talking about psn games like stardust and journey and pixeljunk etc. They work on cell and rsx just as much as any other game. I'm guessing many will not be ported over.

I think the only safe assumption is ps1 games, and possibly ps2 digital versions going by the recent increase in availability late in the ps3 lifetime.

hirokazu

I still don't get the whole anti-used games brigade.

If movie studios implemented a system where by you had to pay a few bucks to "unlock" a second hand DVD/Blu-ray, there would be outrage.

Plus I don't understand their argument about the devs/pubs not getting money. They already got money in the fucking first place when the original person bought it. I can kinda understand this argument for online passes, but if I have to pay $10 to unlock a second hand SP game then fuck everything.

There are people on GAF who would defend anything and everything their favourite companies do.

I WAS talking about psn games like stardust and journey and pixeljunk etc. They work on cell and rsx just as much as any other game. I'm guessing many will not be ported over.

I think the only safe assumption is ps1 games, and possibly ps2 digital versions going by the recent increase in availability late in the ps3 lifetime.

It would be pretty awesome if the PS4 had full PS2 disc BC at least through software emulation. Or will they cut disc BC for all past systems? :(

Yagharek

Depends how cheap it is. I would bet on ps2 downloads and discs for ps1 as well as downloads. Sony are great with portable bc, but I suspect their hand is forced by the difference in ps3 and ps4 architecture.

Ps3 native content is hard to see working on ps4, retail or psn exclusive.

Shaneus

No BC on anything? Fucking hell. Although both Sony and Microsoft seemed to take this a little too seriously:
FXt3CR7.png

Yagharek

The thing is Sony have a history of non conventional hardware. Emotion engine and graphics synthesizer and cell are all quite unique, but now orbis and duran duran are apparently quite similar and x86 based.

Wii U on the other hand uses an upgraded Hollywood or Broadway chip which was itself an upgraded flipper from GameCube. I suspect the only reason Wii U isn't gc compatible is because it's too expensive to include gc control ports and memory card ports again. Plus I bet the games end up on the shop and take little work to get running.

I use BC a lot now that I think about it. With the wii, the 360 and the GBA (for old GB games). Can't say I'm surprised they're getting rid of it though. With the playstation coming up to its fourth gen I imagine it gets complicated. I guess if you've got the old systems (or can buy them) its not really a problem until they break.

I really can't see always online or no secondhand games being a thing. Always online wouldn't work for a lot of people, and buying secondhand/trading with friends/renting is so popular it'd just be suicide if the other company decided not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzA2k6EjSsU i also would have accepted this shaneus

C-come on and slam. And welcome to the jam.

it's always been a bit hit and miss as to whether they included backwards compatibility.

Nintendo
SNES didn't play NES carts but did play Gameboy via SuperGambeboy adaptor
N64 played nothing but N64 carts and the disk drive if you had one
GBA played Gameboy
DS played GBA
3DS plays DS
Wii played Gamecube
Wii U plays Wii (sorta, kinda, dudn't t)?

Sega
Mega Drive and Game Gear could play Master System
saturn- dunno
Dreamcast- nope

Sony
PS2 played PSone
PS3 originally played PS2 and now it doesn't unless its a PSN re-release
PSP Go - doesn't even play PSP games

Xbox 360
played some Xbox 1 but not all. If it does work, it looks a hell of a lot better than plugging in an OG Xbox into a HDTV

Could Amiga's play c64 games? I know Atari Computers couldn't play 2600 carts while a ColecoVision could.

It's not a dealbreaker for me. Used, eh. whatever.

DD kills used anyway.

Gazunta

GBA played GBC and GB
GBC played GB

Amiga did not offer backwards compatibility to C64
Later model Amigas could play 'most' old Amiga titles designed for the A500.
C128 played C64 games

Saturn was no BC with anything and is still a pain in the ass to emulate.

We didn't have backwards compatibility on the C64, Amiga, NES and SNES and no one ever whinged. I blame Sony. I blame Sony for a lot of things, including not fixing my faulty TV.

The only problem I have with used, now that I think about it, is if I ever decide to buy an old system I previously missed out on to play its games (e.g. Dreamcast or PS2, if they didn't allow used games).

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Not one Nintendo game on there?? For shame.

I'd have thought NSMB2 would have made the cut.

Last year there was only one Nintendo game, Pokemon White. It's not that shocking because all those games are multiplatform except for Halo and Diablo which have massive fan bases.

teekun

I used to use the hell out of my original PS3's backwards compatibility. I'm still annoyed that I can't play PS2 games on my PS3 slim. I've got a library of games I'd love to go back and finish and no console to play them on at the moment. I could buy a PS2 and hook it up, but it'd have wired controllers, SD output and would be just one more thing I have to cram into my TV cabinet. Backwards compatibility isn't a must-have, but removing it in future revisions is a pretty dick move.

But now that I think of it, the only reason I used it so much is because the PS2 was the only console of that generation that had more games worth playing than I had time to play.
I don't think I'll have a huge backlog of PS3 games when the PS4 comes out. So, whatever.

jambo

Best Selling Games in Australia for 2012

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  2. Assassin's Creed III
  3. Halo 4
  4. FIFA 13
  5. Skylanders Giants
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  7. Diablo III <-played
  8. Borderlands 2 <-played
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim <-played
  10. Skylanders Spyros Adventure

3/10 for me.

If we're playing this game

Call of Duty: Black Ops II played at a mate's place last weekend. It was pretty turd
Assassin's Creed III currently playing
Halo 4 played. It was rad
FIFA 13
Skylanders Giants
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Diablo III
Borderlands 2 got bored like halfway through but I should get back into it
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Was this really just last year? Had to force myself to stop because it was absorbing my life
Skylanders Spyros Adventure

Sad there's no Xcom on there.

teekun

If we're playing this game

Sad there's no Xcom on there.

The problem with top 10 lists like that is blockbuster games these days do such astronomical numbers that plenty of other games that were a success still aren't even in the same league as them. I remember Take Two saying the game was successful.

Kritz

Banned
Just realised Modern Warfare 3 and Skyrim are the only games from that list I've played. Have Borderlands 2 just haven't gotten around to firing it up yet.

Borderlands 2 is a pretty good big budget AAA game. That is to say, for the amount of money that went into Borderlands 2, it's amazing it still felt like a playable thing at the end, and not some hallway railroaded soulless piece of pooperdoodle. And I kinda liked Halo 4. And Skyrim was really fun for about 80 hours until I couldn't ignore how shallow the world was.

In a way it's kind of comforting that Australia's not dissimilar to the rest of the west of the world. It's probably better than being some weird splinter hipster country only into hotline miami and japanese pornography.

also- Top 10 sales charts does not mean non-charting games don't sell or aren't successful.

Unless you're MoH and EA has disowned you like a father who has discovered his daughter does porn in a really awkward way.

hirokazu

Depends how cheap it is. I would bet on ps2 downloads and discs for ps1 as well as downloads. Sony are great with portable bc, but I suspect their hand is forced by the difference in ps3 and ps4 architecture.

Ps3 native content is hard to see working on ps4, retail or psn exclusive.

See, it make no sense if they were to continue to support disc BC for PSOne but not do the same for PS2 next gen. PS4 should be able to comfortably emulate the majority of PS2 games. I'm actually quite impressed that the PS3 was able to do quite a few PS2 games that are released on store.

Well i didn't buy any of those. Played a few, but nothing I liked enough to buy.

With regards to the new consoles, BC doesn't bother me, but no 2nd hand games means a no sale for me.

Ningo

Fuck freedom of information, I've been looking up 2,000 invoices for the last 4 days, 800 down.

Just as well I can listen to my ipod while I do this shit.

Rezbit

Best Selling Games in Australia for 2012

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  2. Assassin's Creed III Played it, huge turd, hated.
  3. Halo 4 Played, really enjoyed the single player without it being outstanding
  4. FIFA 13
  5. Skylanders Giants
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  7. Diablo III Played it, got nearly 100 hours out of it, love/hate relationship
  8. Borderlands 2
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Played it, loved it, have no desire to play much more of it
  10. Skylanders Spyros Adventure

4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom