• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now? You load the freaking game and get a 'yay for you 10pts!' message.
You can hide that notification if you don't want a 'yay for you 10pts!' message.

Drew was kind enough to send me the beta version a few days ago, I didn't read the Kickstarter page that much. :)

I'd love it if there was a thread about it feel free to make one (I'm on iPad ATM and won't be near my PC for a few hours) :) Right now I'm if or the $37 tier (+$6 for postage) since I need another POKER SMASH T-shirt but I'm tempted to go in for the $200 tier if I tank the campaign needs help later on. Then again it's less than 24 hours since the campaign started and it's already 1/7th of the way there, so I think we'll be OK.

POKER SMASH!!!
Yeah I'm in for a Tshirt too!

Prevalence of boring linear 'adventure' games like uncharted that only reward finding shitty trinkets. Oh look, a minor detour in a forest! I bet there's something exciting!... Nope, just a trinket.
The first Uncharted didn't even have trophies did it? Just the ingame medals which a lot of first party Sony developers have done for a while.

Also collectibles have been around for a long time. Long before cheevos.

Also the trinkets in Uncharted 1/2 were unimportant & unobtrusive.

It was quite annoying making sure to open these just long enough to see what they were but not expose myself to any sound. That's my story.

Embed that shit so you don't have to check it out!

Prevalence of boring linear 'adventure' games like uncharted that only reward finding shitty trinkets. Oh look, a minor detour in a forest! I bet there's something exciting!... Nope, just a trinket.
Game were boring / linear / collect-a-thons / grindfests / uninspired before this generation; I think you're ascribing too much to achievements. It seems like it should be enough to turn off notifications and enjoy the game but you won't let yourself forget and then you end up viewing the whole game through the lens of achievements.

I hope this is something that you'll eventually be able to get past, because it seems like it's something that's sucking some potential enjoyment out of games for you which defeats the whole point of playing them :(

hamchan

Extremely linear games with pointless collectibles existed long before achievements ever did, just looking at my shelf of last gen games... God of War 1 and 2, Killzone, Black. I think the trend towards linearity and spectacle began last gen and became prevalent this gen, the industry was heading that way before achievements were introduced in 2005.

If we're talking about pointless collectibles that offer no tangible reward then I remember a huge amount of platformers in the PS1 days that only gave a small added cutscene for 100% a game, which is really no different from something like Assassin's Creed 2 giving a small scene for collecting all those shitty feathers.

EDIT: Also yeah, reptile brings up a good point that Uncharted 1 had no trophies for their pointless trinkets. Naughty Dog have always had a crapload of collectibles since the PS1 days.

Need more actual game examples from this gen though, and how they are different from previous gens. It's been 7 years since the 360 came out, should be plenty of examples.

Just AMD getting bent over the table. Twice.
Recently read a thing on how the Monster (cable) guys got bent over a table by Dr Dre and a record label owner when it came to making the apparently-aurally-good-according-to-the-article-but-I-don't-believe-it-because-it's-Monster Beats By Dre headphones on Gizmodo. Or Engadget. They're the same right?

You say it's 'giving options' to include them and force those who dont want them to have them.
I don't want to have to pay for a Blu-ray player, or DVD playback licenses, or SPDIF connections, or RCA connections, or connections for wired controllers, or expansion ports because I'll never use any of those things and I can't turn them off.

Soundwave keeps moving the bands around and now everyone I want to see is playing at once ;.; Who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to have all the headlining bands play at once?

What makes linear boring? Its just a different gaming experience.

Shaneus

I heart Bernbaum.

In related news I bought tickets to Dinosaur Jr yesterday. Anyone have recommendations for earplugs?
I wouldn't go past these. I haven't used them for a while because I keep losing them, but they're by far the best you can get without getting custom molded suckers. I use the smaller size... pretty sure you have to have Prince Charles-size ears to require the large ones, but don't quote me on that.

I think they're around $20 or so? eBay, or most headphones online stores sell them.

This looks to be about the right price (w/ free shipping from Melb.). You might be able to get them cheaper on eBay, but at least with that store you know you're getting genuine ones (I'm not sure if knockoffs are a thing or not).

Recently read a thing on how the Monster (cable) guys got bent over a table by Dr Dre and a record label owner when it came to making the apparently-aurally-good-according-to-the-article-but-I-don't-believe-it-because-it's-Monster Beats By Dre headphones on Gizmodo. Or Engadget. They're the same right?
Their little money makers have been flooded with cheap, equivalent competitor products so they needed to get in on a sure thing to keep the revenue going.

Also Beats by Dre aren't as terrible quality as people say they are, but I wouldn't recommend them over Senn or Audio Tech.

Soundwave keeps moving the bands around and now everyone I want to see is playing at once ;.; Who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to have all the headlining bands play at once?

My money is that all the big name bands refuse to play before [insert band name here] so the organisers are stuck either stacking them all together and pissing off punters or telling the bands to grow the fuck up, possibly leading to a band pulling out (which has happened here in Oz a few times).

My money is that all the big name bands refuse to play before [insert band name here] so the organisers are stuck either stacking them all together and pissing off punters or telling the bands to grow the fuck up, possibly leading to a band pulling out (which has happened here in Oz a few times).

Yeah, I was super pissed when Avenged Sevenfold pulled out after they chucked a wobbly about playing during the day, and then playing at the same time as Iron Maiden after the organisers tried to oblige them.

I guess I'm just going to have to run around trying to catch bits of Blink, Offspring and Metallica :( They also moved a minor band that I really wanted to see around (Motion City Soundtrack) so that instead of the initial 1pm start they're now playing at the same time as the big bands. Thing is though, they managed to do the line up reasonably in other cities, its just Sydney's that's got all the clashes (well, from my perspective :p).

Shaneus

That's why it's better to enjoy and go to dance music events. All the music sounds the same, so if you miss one act you just catch the next one, no problemo.

Rezbit

Yeah, I was super pissed when Avenged Sevenfold pulled out after they chucked a wobbly about playing during the day, and then playing at the same time as Iron Maiden after the organisers tried to oblige them.

I guess I'm just going to have to run around trying to catch bits of Blink, Offspring and Metallica :( They also moved a minor band that I really wanted to see around (Motion City Soundtrack) so that instead of the initial 1pm start they're now playing at the same time as the big bands. Thing is though, they managed to do the line up reasonably in other cities, its just Sydney's that's got all the clashes (well, from my perspective :p).

Lol are those three bands really playing at the same time? What a fail, and a slap in the face to people who have bought really fucking expensive tickets.

Frawdder

I was initially really annoyed that Blink and A Perfect Circle were on at the same time in Adelaide but then they changed it the next day so it fits in really well.

I agree though, festivals suck because you see the lineup and your all "Wow, these (whatever number of bands) are going to be there" *Buy ticket* *Schedule released* "Oh no, I paid all this money and will only get to see two of them, boo".

Lol are those three bands really playing at the same time? What a fail, and a slap in the face to people who have bought really fucking expensive tickets.
Only in Brisbane and Sydney it seems. Blink plays before Metallica in the other three cities. The Offspring and Metallica are on at the same time in every city though. Would suck balls if you're a Metallica and Offspring fan.

Yagharek

I love the deliberately obtuse posts on this page.

Someone tell me how getting an achievement for climbing the agency tower made them do it? It was something I was going to do as soon as I figured you could get there.

Other notable achievements are for completing chapters in a game, or the game on multiple difficulties. Heavy stuff right there, that totally changed gaming.

How many people bought or rented those easy movie tie ins so they could get 1000/1000 for an hour's effort? Revolutionary.

Or getting imaginary points for having killed your 10th, 20th, 50th, 100th enemy with the same gun. Brilliant, now go do it with the useless ones too!

Danoss

Just looked up the sideshows for Soundwave. The Vandals are supporting Blink 182. What. The. Fuck. Blink 182 shouldn't even be in the same city as The Vandals, let alone playing the same show and having top billing.

Only in Brisbane and Sydney it seems. Blink plays before Metallica in the other three cities. The Offspring and Metallica are on at the same time in every city though. Would suck balls if you're a Metallica and Offspring fan.

I'm kind of torn because I'm not really a Metallica fan, but I feel kind of obliged to go see them because its friggen Metallica.

I really think they should release the timetables earlier. They only came out last week, and a lot of the sidewaves had already sold out. Unless you missed out on tickets to soundwave altogether, its kinda hard to know which bands to buy for.

Just looked up the sideshows for Soundwave. The Vandals are supporting Blink 182. What. The. Fuck. Blink 182 shouldn't even be in the same city as The Vandals, let alone playing the same show and having top billing.

They supported Sum 41 a few years ago too :p

Someone tell me how getting an achievement for climbing the agency tower made them do it? It was something I was going to do as soon as I figured you could get there.

Other notable achievements are for completing chapters in a game, or the game on multiple difficulties. Heavy stuff right there, that totally changed gaming.

How many people bought or rented those easy movie tie ins so they could get 1000/1000 for an hour's effort? Revolutionary.

Or getting imaginary points for having killed your 10th, 20th, 50th, 100th enemy with the same gun. Brilliant, now go do it with the useless ones too!

1. I did it because there was a cheevo for it. I stayed away from the boring Agency tower and climbed all the cool buildings around town before thinking about that.

2. Why does it need to change gaming? It is just achievements. You don't need to do it and if you do the reward is more points towards an unimportant score that isn't used for anything.

3. Meant those games got some revenue! What is wrong with that? After all, the points count for nothing.

4. This sounds like a stab at developers choosing annoying MP achievements (which I hate too as it is a lazy way to try to keep people playing your MP mode for longer) but has nothing to do with the quality of the game at all. If people see players trying to farm cheevos in MP they have 3 choices; ignore them, report them or join them. The benefit to these cheevos is that it can mean there are 100 players still playing the game in 12 months time, rather than 50.

I just want the option to have none at all.

What difference would that make compared to your current option of having virtually none at all? Pragmatically speaking it's exactly the same, unless you're incensed by occasionally catching a glimpse of the little percentage score thing on the games list of the dashboard.

Yagharek

What difference would that make compared to your current option of having virtually none at all? Pragmatically speaking it's exactly the same, unless you're incensed by occasionally catching a glimpse of the little percentage score thing on the games list of the dashboard.

The core of it is that it puts the emphasis on rewarding someone for finding a secret or getting an arbitrary score, rather than finding a hidden place being a reward itself.

Take Mario 64 for example. Getting on the castle roof was an achievement. Conversely, other games will lure you to find pointless hidden rooms just to complete a shopping list. The rooms aren't hard to find, just a minor detour at best. I dont see how that adds anything?

Dead Man

So in all this new console price specualtion, am I being reidiculously hopeful when I notice the A$ is higher than for any other launch?

Somehow this has started making the rounds on facebook :/

W O W ! She Did It
Again!!!

Australia says NO -- This will be the second Time Julia Gillard has done this!

She sure isn't backing down on her hard line stance and one has to appreciate her belief in the rights of her native countrymen.

A breath of fresh air to see someone lead. Australian Prime Minister does it again!!

The whole world needs a leader like this!

Prime Minister Julia Gillard - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia, as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

Separately, Gillard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying she supported spy agencies
monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote:
'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT... Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.'

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese,

Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'

'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

NOTE: IF we circulate this amongst ourselves in Canada & USA , WE will find the courage to start speaking and voicing the same truths.

If you agree please SEND THIS ON and ON, to as many people as you know...

hamchan

I just want the option to have none at all.

The core of it is that it puts the emphasis on rewarding someone for finding a secret or getting an arbitrary score, rather than finding a hidden place being a reward itself.

Take Mario 64 for example. Getting on the castle roof was an achievement. Conversely, other games will lure you to find pointless hidden rooms just to complete a shopping list. The rooms aren't hard to find, just a minor detour at best. I dont see how that adds anything?

Still have nothing that shows how game design has been impacted. If Nintendo tomorrow suddenly adds an achievement system to the Wii U, re-releases Mario 64 and adds an achievement for getting to the roof, would that suddenly lessen your enjoyment to get to the roof? I don't see how that takes anything away?

Omikron

Getting into the roof was kinda the worthless achievement for completing the 120 star challenge tbh. Incl. Worthless trinkets...lives.

Getting into the roof was kinda the worthless achievement for completing the 120 star challenge tbh. Incl. Worthless trinkets...lives.

You can get up there without 120 stars by doing some funky jumps and stuff, and if you make it up there without all the stars Yoshi won't be there with the arbitrary number. I presumed Yag was talking about that given the earlier examples of climbing towers or whatever in Crackdown.

Omikron

You can get up there without 120 stars by doing some funky jumps and stuff, and if you make it up there without all the stars Yoshi won't be there with the arbitrary number. I presumed Yag was talking about that given the earlier examples of climbing towers or whatever in Crackdown.
Fair call, I had forgotten! Works for either example really.

What a game.

Kritz

Banned

how are you impacted by any of these if you turn the notifications off
You'd still climb the tower, you'd still choose whatever difficulty you wanted, you'd still not buy shitty movie tie in games, and you'd still not care about killing 1000 enemies.

and if achievements didn't exist at all
That tower would still exist to be climbed, games would still have difficulty options, shitty movie games would still exist not to be bought, and games would still have 1000 enemies to kill.

The only exception would be garish banal garbage filler like alan wake's coffee mugs. Seriously one of the only cases where I'm not giving the benefit of doubt to that existing in a world without achievements.

Those things wouldn't be any more or less rewarding by turning the notifications off.
how are you impacted in any way

hamchan

how are you impacted by any of these if you turn the notifications off
You'd still climb the tower, you'd still choose whatever difficulty you wanted, you'd still not buy shitty movie tie in games, and you'd still not care about killing 1000 enemies.
That tower would still exist to be climbed, games would still have difficulty options, shitty movie games would still exist not to be bought, and games would still have 1000 enemies to kill.

Those things wouldn't be any more or less rewarding by turning the notifications off.
how are you impacted in any way

Other people might get some enjoyment out of it, can't have that.

Kritz

Banned
Other people might get some enjoyment out of it, can't have that.

for the record I kinda don't side with saying his opinion is worthless. It wouldn't hurt in the slightest to have a button that you can press that says, "never store achievement data for my account". But the button you can press that says "never show me the achievement data you're storing" is just as good. It's just as good.

Rezbit

Not really fussed about achievements. Never felt the need to hunt for them or anything. Couldn't tell you my gamerscore. I think I left the notifications on though. They're still on on steam too, but I barely notice them either. I don't think Wii U is better or worse off without them, and I don't think the other consoles are better or worse for them either. They're just there.

How is that for a fence sitting post?

Frawdder

:p

He wasn't in the band when dude ranch was released, so I don't feel too bad not seeing him. Plus with all the shit he went through I'd almost feel bad wanting him to catch a flight over here.
Travis was planning to fly over here but when they went to fly out the other day he pulled out because he just couldn't get on the plane, poor guy.

You might already know that and I'm telling you nothing. Sucks that he won't be there but under totally reasonable circumstances.

Kritz

Banned
do you want me to post the tim minchin song again

also the only reason I killed those 53,000 zombies in dead rising was to get the cheesy

when I was younger, and the xbox launched, me and my friend spent a year or so racing each other for 10,000 points. I think he won in the end. But that was really fun. Highlights were racing to beat CoD2 veteran, and then later, we both sat down for a full day trying to beat CoD4 on veteran at his house. That was awesome. That fucking pripyat level, man. That fucking level.

Every time we died, we swapped controllers. And at certain points in that game the controller spent more time in the air between us than in our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom