• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Mile High Club, CoD 4, eff that achievement for being so hard but man it's so satisfying to finish it. Led to greatest moment from Giant Bomb too.

Kritz

Banned
Mile High Club, CoD 4, eff that achievement for being so hard but man it's so satisfying to finish it. Led to greatest moment from Giant Bomb too.

mile high club led to the secret pantasmagoria endurance run?! ... or the lego island video. Or the noby noby boy quicklook.

man that lego island video was the hardest I've ever laughed at any GB content ever. And quite possibly any internet video ever.

Travis was planning to fly over here but when they went to fly out the other day he pulled out because he just couldn't get on the plane, poor guy.

You might already know that and I'm telling you nothing. Sucks that he won't be there but under totally reasonable circumstances.
Aah, I figured it was something like that:( he must feel pretty awful about not being able to make it, but I could understand if he never wanted to fly again.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Their little money makers have been flooded with cheap, equivalent competitor products so they needed to get in on a sure thing to keep the revenue going.

Also Beats by Dre aren't as terrible quality as people say they are, but I wouldn't recommend them over Senn or Audio Tech.

My money is that all the big name bands refuse to play before [insert band name here] so the organisers are stuck either stacking them all together and pissing off punters or telling the bands to grow the fuck up, possibly leading to a band pulling out (which has happened here in Oz a few times).

no ones saying theyre heaps terrible rep, its just for that price you could do MUCH better.

or for that quality pay much less.

also in re: to the bands, the whole situations fucked in Aus.

Basically, bands take the piss out of promoters here. any band that wants to tour the festival scene (big) pretty much makes it known they're available, then a fucking bidding war begins (hence the recent scene of usually a few big names and shit).

its all political and its all fucked. and there are no repurcusions really if they back out (due to the event organisers taking it in the arse to sign the bands)

Yagharek

Still have nothing that shows how game design has been impacted. If Nintendo tomorrow suddenly adds an achievement system to the Wii U, re-releases Mario 64 and adds an achievement for getting to the roof, would that suddenly lessen your enjoyment to get to the roof? I don't see how that takes anything away?

Still clinging to the tired veiled fanboy accusation I see.

this whole generation has seen a trend of dumbed down game design, concurrent with the introduction of checklist style 'achievements'. Oh, you finished a chapter of a game, have a cookie.

I won't cite a single example, I'll just cite the entire generation. It's a trend of simplified challenges, overly verbose tutorials, and awards for doing stuff trivial in nature. Congratulations, you pressed start!

Kritz

Banned

this whole generation has seen a trend of dumbed down game design, concurrent with the introduction of checklist style 'achievements'. Oh, you finished a chapter of a game, have a cookie.

I won't cite a single example, I'll just cite the entire generation. It's a trend of simplified challenges, overly verbose tutorials, and awards for doing stuff trivial in nature. Congratulations, you pressed start!

you can hide the achievement popups

The dumb downening started long before this gen,and the 360 was the only console to launch with one of theses systems in place. Also your example of getting a cookie for finishing a level is something that would have happened anyway whether there was an achievement or not.

99% of achievements are like that, stuff you would have done anyway, or meaningless stuff like get 100 headshots or fall over 5 times. It's extremely obvious that the vast majority of them are not even considered untill after a game is already finished and they just find things that are part of the gameplay to attach a achievement trigger too.

Kritz

Banned
portal 2 actually had an achievement be a punchline to a joke in the 9th chapter.

But if you wanted to you could turn the notifications off and never know.

Blink 182 are terrible.

Tomahawk, I'd go and see again. But it's Ticketek so it'll be $68 for the ticket, then $150 booking fee, then $372 credit card fee, then another $687 so I can print my own ticket.

what if munchkin had a blink 360 song in it

I bet the quoting user cp thing doesn't do shit if you edit a quote in after the fact

also the secret to my posts is that I don't capitalise my sentences when I don't give a shit

hamchan

You are the one that used the Mario example, I was DIRECTLY replying to your post. I didn't even consider once at all your fanboyness. What the hell is wrong with you man?

You can't cite an example because you have nothing.

reggie

Banned

To put it bluntly, I think this is complete bullshit. To write off the entire generation as over simplified tutorials is completely and utterly ridiculous.

The are a lot of games that don't follow the simple ruleset of "congrats you made it to level 2". Many games have embraced the idea of achievements showing you cool things you wouldn't have otherwise discovered or experienced. Hell, Crackdown was basically centred around this idea and only served to make the game even better.

Yes, achievements can fall into the trap of serving no purpose but to fellate the user, but like anything in game design it's up to the developer to implement it correctly.

Can't believe the amount of work I can get done in a day if I don't access the internet.

If anyone is looking for a new TV, Costco has the Bravia HX75 55" for $1299. That's nearly $400 cheaper than anywhere else. I picked up one yesterday, looks amazing.

857490_10151568499056874_4389926_o.jpg

Played Alhambra last night with the wife. It was only about 90% of the way through the game that I noticed there is a ruleset variant for two players (we'd been playing the regular game) with a 'dummy' third player (like with 7 Wonders -- going to give the two player ruleset a go and if that works out OK might pick up 7 Wonders as this is why I'd been avoiding it).

It's quite fun though! Not too intense strategy-wise which is nice because thus far I've enjoyed games with light strategy. There's not much luck to it, as everyone shares whatever is drawn. I found later in the game I was thinking more strategically though, by considering where pieces on the board would fit into my Alhambra, as well as trying to plan a couple of moves ahead.

I originally thought it'd be more Carcassonne-like than it is, it feels like a cross between that and a card game, but a little more card game-ish. Probably because you're, you know, holding cards.

this whole generation has seen a trend of dumbed down game design, concurrent with the introduction of checklist style 'achievements'. Oh, you finished a chapter of a game, have a cookie.!
Why is there a score in Super Mario Bros? It offends me and I can't turn it off. Fuck video games and their dumbing down.

If anyone is looking for a new TV, Costco has the Bravia HX75 55" for $1299. That's nearly $400 cheaper than anywhere else. I picked up one yesterday, looks amazing.]
Is it an HX75 or HX750? HX75 doesn't seem to exist according to the Sony site.

Whoops... meant to edit the other post. Umm... Oh yeah - Is the barely-discussed meet on Saturday happening? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
1pm cbd. Fucking beer delux again? Ill keep ontop of pm's on the day so anyone can pm me if they require my mobile or directions

Omikron

You can't cite an example because you have nothing.

I have spent the morning trying to think of the worst example of achievements... and actually it is kinda hard.

I figure games that just give you achievements for story events are kinda meh, but not exactly objectionable.

So I tried to find ones that you get for just 'pressing start' as per Vince's non-example... I think Civ V might fit close-ish... you get achievements early on for doing really mundane stuff, like found a second city, or Discovering an ancient ruin (which happens almost immediately in the game...), but this isn't just limited to Civ V, Endless Space has similar achievement simplicity (just play 10 turns for eg).

But then again, these games also have interesting ones, that genuinely track how much of the game you have played and to what level you have 'won' at, which I actually really like. As it lets me easily see what leaders I have used to win a game and what ones I haven't used etc etc.

Swings and round-a-bouts and all that.

Edit: also, vince, if you played on PC, you could play all your games in 'offline' mode on steam and you would never, ever get an achievement. :)

Played Alhambra last night with the wife. It was only about 90% of the way through the game that I noticed there is a ruleset variant for two players (we'd been playing the regular game) with a 'dummy' third player (like with 7 Wonders -- going to give the two player ruleset a go and if that works out OK might pick up 7 Wonders as this is why I'd been avoiding it).

It's quite fun though! Not too intense strategy-wise which is nice because thus far I've enjoyed games with light strategy. There's not much luck to it, as everyone shares whatever is drawn. I found later in the game I was thinking more strategically though, by considering where pieces on the board would fit into my Alhambra, as well as trying to plan a couple of moves ahead.

I originally thought it'd be more Carcassonne-like than it is, it feels like a cross between that and a card game, but a little more card game-ish. Probably because you're, you know, holding cards.

Nice one, still on my 'potential purchase' list. Interested in the 2 player variant when you get around to it.

Can't believe the amount of work I can get done in a day if I don't access the internet.

If anyone is looking for a new TV, Costco has the Bravia HX75 55" for $1299. That's nearly $400 cheaper than anywhere else. I picked up one yesterday, looks amazing.

857490_10151568499056874_4389926_o.jpg

Please tell me you've removed the stickers by now.

So I tried to find ones that you get for just 'pressing start' as per Vince's non-example...

I think The Simpsons Game had one, but that's pretty obviously a gag. Double Dragon Neon gives you a 1GS achievement for starting the game up, but the point of that is to screw with the type of person that feels the need to keep their Gamer Score even.

I think The Simpsons Game had one, but that's pretty obviously a gag. Double Dragon Neon gives you a 1GS achievement for starting the game up, but the point of that is to screw with the type of person that feels the need to keep their Gamer Score even.
Prince of Persia (2008) has one for watching the start cutscene. I think I got about five achievements in the first five minutes on that game. Ridiculous.

1pm cbd. Fucking beer delux again? Ill keep ontop of pm's on the day so anyone can pm me if they require my mobile or directions
Looking like I've been successful in moving things around so I'll probably head in. 1pm suits me too. Beer DeLuxe is convenient so is a good place. There's always Penny Blue, Cookie, Mrs Parmas, or I suppose Hofbrauhaus or European Bier cafe if you want decent beer. None of those are as easy to get to and Beer DeLuxe has a good selection anyway. Also burgers.

Nice one, still on my 'potential purchase' list. Interested in the 2 player variant when you get around to it.
I'll let you know, the game played fine with the regular ruleset anyway, it just may have gone on a bit longer or resulted in us having slightly bigger Alhambras. The scoring is done in three rounds (the first two are random draws through the deck around 30% and 70% of the way through) and each time our scores swapped, which kept things interesting.

Omikron

Hah! If I played 360, I would find that 1GS thing annoying, as I have a bit of OCD for even numbers.

Amusing however ;)

So I tried to find ones that you get for just 'pressing start' as per Vince's non-example... I think Civ V might fit close-ish... you get achievements early on for doing really mundane stuff, like found a second city, or Discovering an ancient ruin (which happens almost immediately in the game...), but this isn't just limited to Civ V, Endless Space has similar achievement simplicity (just play 10 turns for eg).
The Simpsons Game (360 / PS3) has an achievement for pressing start. They make light of this by having the title of the acheivement by Press START to Play and the description being Easiest achievement...ever, which is a play upon Comic Book Guy's "Worst Episode Ever" catch phrase.

Edit: fuck you BoB!!!

Edit: also, vince, if you played on PC, you could play all your games in 'offline' mode on steam and you would never, ever get an achievement. :)
Steam doesn't even like to track play time in offline mode (although sometimes it does. Gotta love the jank). According to my account I barely play games. Which puts me in good stead in AusGAF, I guess.

Fredescu

I wouldn't go past these. I haven't used them for a while because I keep losing them, but they're by far the best you can get without getting custom molded suckers. I use the smaller size... pretty sure you have to have Prince Charles-size ears to require the large ones, but don't quote me on that.

I think they're around $20 or so? eBay, or most headphones online stores sell them.

This looks to be about the right price (w/ free shipping from Melb.). You might be able to get them cheaper on eBay, but at least with that store you know you're getting genuine ones (I'm not sure if knockoffs are a thing or not).

Thanks man, I'll check them out. The sizing thing seems a bit scary though. I guess I'll take a punt.

Omikron

I'll let you know, the game played fine with the regular ruleset anyway, it just may have gone on a bit longer or resulted in us having slightly bigger Alhambras. The scoring is done in three rounds (the first two are random draws through the deck around 30% and 70% of the way through) and each time our scores swapped, which kept things interesting.

Yeah nice, it looked good based on the Tabletop episode and didn't seem to have too many rules that would 'break' with 2-players.

I finally managed to get Ghost Stories to the table last night and we both really enjoyed it. It took a lot longer than expected (~2 hours), but it was a learning game with plenty of referencing to the rulebook / reference sheets for what the iconography on the cards meant. I think we made a few mistakes with the rules early on (mostly around what to do when your board was full of ghosts etc as I didn't actually read a line of text in the book, oops).

The game played a bit like a complex puzzle, much more than say Pandemic, you also feel far less 'in control', I think this is because its just so unrelenting and the lack of purely 'positive' actions. Everything you do is such a trade off... do an action? Oh it comes with a negative side effect and you don't get to get rid of a ghost. Exorcise a ghost? Sure, you can try, but fail and your turn is gone and you didn't get to take a town action.

We did get to see the 'final boss' though, but almost immediately died as the board was just so full. Haha.

Would play again (many times) and highly recommend to co-op board gamers.

Rahk

Thanks man, I'll check them out. The sizing thing seems a bit scary though. I guess I'll take a punt.
I have a pair of them but seem to have misplaced them somewhere.

If you've ever used in-ear headphones the standard size is the same as regular tips.

Trying to get through Dead Space 3 but since it has been so hot at night we have had the little dudes door open so it isn't a furnace in there, leading to headphones being required for game playing, which makes the game a hell of a lot more creepy :/

Clipper

On the story progress achievements/trophies, I do find them useful, despite their blandness, as it lets you look up how far somebody got into a game. The ones for just starting the game are a bit silly, but there can only ever be one of them, so it doesn't bother me much.

The trophies I find the most obnoxious are the ones that force you to do something extraordinary in multiplayer, like getting an infeasible win streak. It's OK if the game is all about the multiplayer, but when the game is majoratively a single player game, then make your multiplayer trophies simply about playing a few matches or something that isn't dependent on what other players do.

I also find the ones that almost require you to fool with your system clock to set various dates a tad annoying. Calendar Man in Arkham City was a cool idea, but it was annoying to switch the date so much and it would be crazy to attempt to get that one without fooling with the clock (You have to play the game on a specific holiday of each month of a full year).

On the subject of time-based ones, I'm surprised how many trophies Flower gave you for not playing the game. There was one for leaving the game on the post-level flyover for three minutes, one for leaving the game untouched at the level select screen for 10 minutes and another for waiting at least a week between play sessions (I fooled with the clock for that one). Yes, the game is relaxing and a ton of fun when taken at leisure, but dedicating 3 out of your 14 trophies to not playing the game seems rather a weird choice.

Clipper

The only games I'm aware of that I would say were designed around achievements are Achievement Unlocked and its sequels. And that's because those games are a parody of achievements. Yes, achievements might influence small aspects of a game's design, like they might inspire some additional features or a hidden objective or two, but I can't think of any normal game that seems to have been hobbled or limited by its trophy set.

hamchan

You cant uninstall them. Games are still designed around them.

Being able to uninstall them has no effect on your experience unless you are OCD about your friends seeing what you play. Games are not designed around achievements.

Also no, you can't cite the entire generation as your example. Games were getting simplified before this generation and before achievements existed, see Halo for the simplification of FPS, Fable and Kotor for WRPGs, FFX for JRPGs.

Also haven't you heard of correlation does not cause causation? Just because the introduction of acheivements this gen coincides with more linear, spectacle games, it does not mean that they are the cause of such design. It is a logical fallacy to declare it so.

Trying to get through Dead Space 3 but since it has been so hot at night we have had the little dudes door open so it isn't a furnace in there, leading to headphones being required for game playing, which makes the game a hell of a lot more creepy :/

I've just started playing Dead Space 1 (having never played it before, the end of a generation is a good time to tackle my backlog) and while it's cool at the moment, I'm ashamed to admit I'm already looking forward to the more action oriented Dead Space 3.

Sometimes I fear I am the member for casual gamers in the AusGAF parliament

Danoss

I finally managed to get Ghost Stories to the table last night and we both really enjoyed it. It took a lot longer than expected (~2 hours), but it was a learning game with plenty of referencing to the rulebook / reference sheets for what the iconography on the cards meant. I think we made a few mistakes with the rules early on (mostly around what to do when your board was full of ghosts etc as I didn't actually read a line of text in the book, oops).

The game played a bit like a complex puzzle, much more than say Pandemic, you also feel far less 'in control', I think this is because its just so unrelenting and the lack of purely 'positive' actions. Everything you do is such a trade off... do an action? Oh it comes with a negative side effect and you don't get to get rid of a ghost. Exorcise a ghost? Sure, you can try, but fail and your turn is gone and you didn't get to take a town action.

We did get to see the 'final boss' though, but almost immediately died as the board was just so full. Haha.

Would play again (many times) and highly recommend to co-op board gamers.

Glad you liked it (hard not to, really). It's a brilliant game that is crushingly hard, but still manages to be very enjoyable. It's great how relatively simple it is, making it much easier for some strategy to emerge.

The first time I played it, I'd lost after a handful of turns, probably less; it was a massacre (I delayed doing something that needed to be done and was immediately punished). I managed a win the game right after that but it was on a beginner difficulty.

Fucking cheevos. Ruining this generation of flash games :(

Info about stuff to be announced at Sony conference starting to come out. Hype hype! Got an early lunch planned, child will be shipped off to day care and the wife has been designated the task of having a gigantic salad bowl full of popcorn on my office desk at home by no later than 10am.

Super Mario Galaxy had an achievement list of sorts. That game was kind of ok, although I guess it did feel a bit ruined in parts.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/333/d/a/super_mario_galaxy___coin_and_star_list_1_by_colonel_majora_ssbb-d5mkl9q.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

3D Mario games in the pre-Cheevo world: open, free-roaming titles that encourage exploration
3D Mario games in the post-Cheevo world: straight-forward games that guide you from start to end of linear stages

It's all coming together...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom