• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Man carssonne arrived today and I can't wait to play it, that game looks so good.

Also, I've been enjoying munchkin. It's been easy to introduce to people, the core rule set is intuitive enough for people to get what's going on in a turn or two. It's not the most skilful of games, but I don't think it needs to be.
I'm also enjoying the game of thrones card game. Feels a bit too much like magic, which I was never a fan of in high school, but the elements around the card game are quite fun.

I think I may be slowly jumping into the board game medium. They're something I loved growing up, and it's been a good way to spend time with my father as we hadn't really done much together over the past few years,

Thanks to those who posted sales, as I wouldn't have been playing these games without them. I am such a sucker for consumer goods on sale.

Yagharek

Zombi U is really fucking good. About an hour into it, being slow and methodical and still getting bitten. As far as I understand if you get bitten you can still survive so long as you have a healing item?

Game looks really grainy, surely intentional but a bit rough. Cricket bat timing is a real hard thing to do though. Last time I got bitten on my toe. If this were WWZ, I'd be fucked already. Or rather, Simon the IT professional would be. I'd be more efficient at hitting.

jambo

Ok so a weird thing just happened.

I've been home sick all of today (Monday) and it's crazy hot in Adelaide so I was having trouble sleeping.

Got up and went to the front door and opened it to get some fresh cool air on me from the change.

I suddenly hear rustling noises, like plastic, cardboard and cans banging around. I look out at the verge and see something moving around our bins that I'd just put out for collection in the morning.

At first I thought it was a cat or a possum, but then when my eyes adjust I see that is's a dude with a big plastic bag going through out shit!!

I think he may have been looking for recyclable cans and bottles, but maybe don't do that at fucking 1am on a Tuesday morning... If he had've come by earlier that day and asked for whatever I would've been happy to oblige.

I still wasn't sure exactly what he was doing and I didn't really feel like going out and confronting some random in case he did something or "snapped," so I called the general police line and let them know about the details and my address.

The police operator said something about your bins and garbage not being your property any more once they're put out to the verge, but that sounds like BS to me. Plus I don't care if it's not my property, I don't want some random guy snooping around the front of my property at 1am.

They send over a patrol car and luckily just as he got in his car to drive off they pull up. They stop him and use torches to look through his SUV/4WD and I can hear them asking him what he's doing.

I waited a bit longer and then when I looked out again he had gone and the cops were slowly rolling up and down the street with their search lights checking around. I kinda hope that they either gave him a warning or seeing the cops spooked him, but he may have spun some BS lie when they started asking questions.

Just thought I'd share.

Now, back to attempting sleep!

I've been home sick all of today (Monday) and it's crazy hot in Adelaide so I was having trouble sleeping.

Got up and went to the front door and opened it to get some fresh cool air on me from the change.

I suddenly hear rustling noises, like plastic, cardboard and cans banging around. I look out at the verge and see something moving around our bins that I'd just put out for collection in the morning.

At first I thought it was a cat or a possum, but then when my eyes adjust I see that is's a dude with a big plastic bag going through out shit!!

I think he may have been looking for recyclable cans and bottles, but maybe don't do that at fucking 1am on a Tuesday morning... If he had've come by earlier that day and asked for whatever I would've been happy to oblige.

I still wasn't sure exactly what he was doing and I didn't really feel like going out and confronting some random in case he did something or "snapped," so I called the general police line and let them know about the details and my address.

The police operator said something about your bins and garbage not being your property any more once they're put out to the verge, but that sounds like BS to me. Plus I don't care if it's not my property, I don't want some random guy snooping around the front of my property at 1am.

They send over a patrol car and luckily just as he got in his car to drive off they pull up. They stop him and use torches to look through his SUV/4WD and I can hear them asking him what he's doing.

I waited a bit longer and then when I looked out again he had gone and the cops were slowly rolling up and down the street with their search lights checking around. I kinda hope that they either gave him a warning or seeing the cops spooked him, but he may have spun some BS lie when they started asking questions.

Just thought I'd share.

You don't think the guy (correctly) suspects that you were the person that called the cops and is now working on some elaborate revenge scheme, do you? Nah, that's not likely at all. Or is it? No, of course not. And if he did, it seems like he only has time to do it in the wee hours of the morning, and that's not the best time to hatch your revenge, is it? Sorry, stupid thought. Anyway, I hope you get a better night sleep tonight.

Also, this was posted in another thread. I think some people in here may be interested:

Not a gaming deal, but may interest people who are literate...

The Book Depository are having a day-long sale on 21st Feb. 100 books on sale over 25 hours. One every 15 minutes.

Maybe they will have Hyrule Historia.

Just thought I'd share.

he was probably going through your stuff to try and find details on you like your address

also is the book think like an auction or a contest or do they have multiple copies of each book that goes on sale

From the page that the image in the post links to:

So what is this thing?
The Countdown promotion will run for 25 hours, starting at noon GMT, Thursday 21 February 2013. There will be a new book available on the UK homepage for a great price every 15 minutes. The last one will go up the following day, Friday 22 February 2013 at 12:45pm GMT.

Can I buy all of the books?
You can buy as many, or as few of the titles offered as you like, we don't charge postage for over 100 countries around the world, so there is no harm in shopping again, and again throughout the day. You are however limited to three copies of each book per person - it's only fair that as many people as possible get to grab a bargain.

What happens if I'm checking out and the books run out?
The book you're ordering is only definitely yours when you see the confirmation page - up to that point if someone beats you to it, then sorry you're out of luck. We hope everyone will get at least one of the titles they're after.

These offers are really good, are they the same books as normal?
Yes - we've done some very special deals with some very special publishers to bring you these great bargains.

Oops. In all the excitement I bought a book I don't want.
That's fine. Don't panic -- just let us know via the form on our contact us page and we'll cancel the order for you.

Is there a way to find out what the next offer is?
No, sorry, the fact it's a secret is all part of the fun!

I added a book to my basket and it was removed, what happened?
Sorry, the book sold out during the time it took to add it to your basket, better luck next time.

I fell asleep waiting for the next product and missed it -- can I still get it at the offer price somehow?
Sorry, no. These offers are known as WIGIGs in the trade (When It's Gone It's Gone) - after the offer is over you'll often be able to buy the book again but at the normal price.

How long are you doing the offer for?
A new title will be added from noon GMT on Thursday 21 February to 13:00pm GMT on Friday 22 February. Then we'll all need a bit of a lie down.

Are the products on offer still shipped for free?
Yes, indeed they are. We have free worldwide delivery.

Are there any tricks to get through the checkout quickly?
We recommend that you set up an account (although you don't need one to shop) and add a credit card ready, save fumbling around when too excited (though you will still need your CVV number).

Man carssonne arrived today and I can't wait to play it, that game looks so good.
Carcassonne is the sort of game people who don't like board games will happily play. It's the ultimate sit down for a quick game... game for us.

Many councils have people who audit the type of rubbish people are throwing out, especially in recycling bins. We once got a "contaminated" sticker put on our recycling bin because we dared to put a plastic bag that shouldn't have gone in there. If you get too many, they take your recycling bin away because councils like doing these things.

jambo

he was probably going through your stuff to try and find details on you like your address

My address? Like, the address on my letterbox, gutter and house? =P

Many councils have people who audit the type of rubbish people are throwing out, especially in recycling bins. We once got a "contaminated" sticker put on our recycling bin because we dared to put a plastic bag that shouldn't have gone in there. If you get too many, they take your recycling bin away because councils like doing these things.

They do, but this guy took stuff, plus it was 1am haha

a very good habit to get into to shred things with your name and address before you throw it out. envelopes, parcel labels, old bills receipts, etc

no one has addressed my question
are they only selling 1 book per 15 mintues

Arnie might not have worded it right, but identity theft crossed my mind too. Be careful throwing out bills and shit.
no it came out how i ment it
it was a joke playing off people looking for creditcard numbers and such
suggesting they thought they needed to go through his trash to find his address
sorry you didnt realise i was being silly

Clipper

Also, I've been enjoying munchkin. It's been easy to introduce to people, the core rule set is intuitive enough for people to get what's going on in a turn or two. It's not the most skilful of games, but I don't think it needs to be.
Exactly. It's meant to be a bit of mindless, chaotic fun that shouldn't be taken seriously and enjoyed for the moments of hilarity when something excessively weird or nasty happens. It's certainly not for everybody.

I'm also enjoying the game of thrones card game. Feels a bit too much like magic, which I was never a fan of in high school, but the elements around the card game are quite fun.
Is that the LCG version with commissioned art based on the books or the simplified stand-alone one with images from the show? I haven't played the LCG version as I fear I'd be tempted to buy all the sets, but the stand-alone is indeed a lot of fun.

We really do have to try to organise a board game evening or two at Pax Aus... It's going to be tough deciding which games to bring, though.

Jase: BookDepo has done that sale the last few years and the books have been terrible sadly.
Bugger. Sorry to potentially disappoint everyone with shittiness on sale.

no one has addressed my question
are they only selling 1 book per 15 mintues
I don't even get what the question is. Are you asking if they have 1 total book for sale? Are you asking if their entire catalogue will be unavailable and you will only be able to buy that one book from them during that 15 minutes? If the FAQ didn't help you, here is their contact page.

Danoss

Exactly. It's meant to be a bit of mindless, chaotic fun that shouldn't be taken seriously and enjoyed for the moments of hilarity when something excessively weird or nasty happens. It's certainly not for everybody.

Except it's not funny or weird or nasty. If anything, it's expected. I don't think there's much fun in predictability.

You win by not trying to win, because everyone will blow their load kneecapping the crap out of you when you do. Eventually, someone wins when they're able to sneak it in once no one has any way to stop them. How anticlimactic.

All of the above would be somewhat acceptable if the game was as short as it is supposed to be. Unfortunately, it's not and drags on far too long. Use the dice in the box, everyone rolls and the highest wins; you don't have to play Munchkin, but you can say you did.

Kritz

Banned
Is that the LCG version with commissioned art based on the books or the simplified stand-alone one with images from the show? I haven't played the LCG version as I fear I'd be tempted to buy all the sets, but the stand-alone is indeed a lot of fun.

We really do have to try to organise a board game evening or two at Pax Aus... It's going to be tough deciding which games to bring, though.

The art most certainly isn't based from the show. It's certainly a LCG, but the four decks the base game come with are enough to play with. It gives a little tease by having house cards for Greyjoy and Martell, but the base Stark / Lannister / Baratheon / Targaryen all feel 'complete'.

I'm not much of a booster pack guy. Or expansion guy. Maybe that'll change with Carcassonne as I hear there's an expansion that's quite good. But, the same way I am with DLC for games, I kinda feel - somewhat irrationally - that I'm being ripped off by not being able to have the full experience.

And so far the better Munchkin ends are where two people are on level 9, and everyone's pulling out everything to turn that level 2 monster into something, anything, that doesn't net the winning level.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Stitches removed! All 10. I can just form a fist. But I can't squeeze at all and won't be able to lift or carry things with it for around 2 months :( arnie how's ur hand travelling?

Clipper

Except it's not funny or weird or nasty. If anything, it's expected. I don't think there's much fun in predictability.

You win by not trying to win, because everyone will blow their load kneecapping the crap out of you when you do. Eventually, someone wins when they're able to sneak it in once no one has any way to stop them. How anticlimactic.

All of the above would be somewhat acceptable if the game was as short as it is supposed to be. Unfortunately, it's not and drags on far too long. Use the dice in the box, everyone rolls and the highest wins; you don't have to play Munchkin, but you can say you did.
I agree that if you play to win and that is all you care about, then the game is boring, anticlimactic and a waste of time. The climax in Munchkin for me isn't usually at the ending, it's the Epic mid-game battle with multiple sides duking it out with multiple cards trying to eke out a victory or defeat. It's choosing the best point to stab your buddy in the back when you've been playing friendly all game. Or the moments where the game just unexpectedly monumentally screws you or pulls you out of a lurch with the cards that appear.

It's not really meant to be played strategically. But as a time waster, where you can share some laughs and slaps on the back with some good buddies, I really enjoy it. Yes, rolling dice is going to probably just as good a way of determining who the winner of the game would be, but that's not the point of the game for me. The moments along the path are the things that I savour.

I'm not saying your opinions on the game are wrong. Nothing I can say will likely change them and they are certainly valid ones, given that I agree with almost all the points you make about the game. There just is something there to be enjoyed if you can find it, and equating the game to rolling the dice isn't doing the game justice to those that enjoy the ride the game can take you on as you play it.

The art most certainly isn't based from the show. It's certainly a LCG, but the four decks the base game come with are enough to play with. It gives a little tease by having house cards for Greyjoy and Martell, but the base Stark / Lannister / Baratheon / Targaryen all feel 'complete'.
I really do have to play that full game at some point...

I'm not much of a booster pack guy. Or expansion guy. Maybe that'll change with Carcassonne as I hear there's an expansion that's quite good. But, the same way I am with DLC for games, I kinda feel - somewhat irrationally - that I'm being ripped off by not being able to have the full experience.
Yeah, quite a few of the Carcassonne expansions are meant to be good. A couple are apparently crap too, but that's only expected, given the game has over 10 expansions by now...

Kritz

Banned
Stitches removed! All 10. I can just form a fist. But I can't squeeze at all and won't be able to lift or carry things with it for around 2 months :( arnie how's ur hand travelling?
You guys would have the worst high five abilities in the world right now.

Please get together for melb gaf and record one.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Man I'm so fucking bored with work lately, all I do is everyone elses shit work because they're all working on big projects. Been like this for a couple months, might be time for a change.

Yagharek

I'm interested as to why people think achievements add anything to a game? Or that they add anything generally.

To me its akin to installing facebook on my mobile phone. Its forced upon me, I dont want it, why aren't I given the option to delete it? Apparently people who dont want achievements are being belligerent by arguing against choice, yet the people who argue for their inclusion don't see the logical conclusion that forcing them into games doesn't give a choice to people who dislike them.

Yo Danoss, what do you think of these Corey Norman to the Eels rumours?

I'm interested as to why people think achievements add anything to a game? Or that they add anything generally.

To me its akin to installing facebook on my mobile phone. Its forced upon me, I dont want it, why aren't I given the option to delete it? Apparently people who dont want achievements are being belligerent by arguing against choice, yet the people who argue for their inclusion don't see the logical conclusion that forcing them into games doesn't give a choice to people who dislike them.

I like achievements for actually cool things. Like if you pull of something unexpected or cool. But when it's just "Finish the first level" crap I couldn't give less of a crap about them.

Fredescu

I like achievements because I like RPGs and filling bars is the best thing.

Just get the PC versions of the games where it annoys you Yagharek. You can disable notifications easily enough on Steam and Origin. Unless it's built into the game, in which case you'd see them on the Nintendo platform versions too I guess.

Kritz

Banned

I've always thought achievements were dumb. But, they kinda single handedly justified themselves with Crackdown. Crackdown was a good game, but objective wise there was only a single goal to beat it. But, then I noticed achievements. And those were some really good achievements. From the basic collectathon 500 orbs one that made everyone fall in love with the game, to getting to the tops of buildings, to getting up there with a car, to doing sweet flips. The achievements in those games were fantastic, and to me, were a part of that game instead of being a weird meta game.

But aside from that one example, I'd rather not be bothered with them. I turned the notifications off on my Xbox. I still have them turned on for steam, for some reason.

I don't think that there's too many games that force them n you, though. As in, not many games where getting the achievements is an important factor in enjoying the game.
Anyway, rule of thumb is that it's always better to give players choice. Let players disable them, which the twins consoles and pc certainly do.

And my gamerscore's probably bigger than yours.

Yagharek

Let players disable them, which the twins consoles and pc certainly do.

They don't let you disable them. They let you disable the notifications. I'd like to not even have them, to be honest. I know if I have "achieved" something in a game, I don't need a complimentary pat on the head from Pavlov to tell me so.

Danoss

Yo Danoss, what do you think of these Corey Norman to the Eels rumours?

He's got a long way to go before he's worth spending the money it takes for someone to switch teams. Norman didn't impress me a whole lot last year and I haven't seen enough of Kelly to make a judgement as to whether he's a good fit for 6 either.

From what I have seen of Kelly, he looks like a good organiser, which is needed because Sandow is severely lacking in that area. If Norman can't contribute in that area, he's not even worth looking at for the Eels.

It's also just another rumour and probably based on absolutely nothing anyway.

Fredescu

I know if I have "achieved" something in a game, I don't need a complimentary pat on the head from Pavlov to tell me so.

Once they're turned off, you no longer get a pat on the head and have to manually go and look for your pat on the head. Which presumably you won't do since you don't like being pat on the head. It's fairly petty to complain that it's possible to go and look at a list of pats you could have received had you wanted them.

Clipper

I like trophies and achievements as I'm a completionist when it comes to games. A trophy list, and especially the Platinum Trophy give me a goal to say when I've totally finished a game. It's also cool to look in a tally and see how many of my games I've played to utter completion, or which ones I've barely played at all.

On the X-Box, you can turn off the achievement notifications, right? Thus you wouldn't even know they are there. I think you still have to turn off all the notifications (including friend messages) to get the same on PS3, so I guess it's harder to ignore them if you don't care for them, but I wouldn't want them to disappear any time soon.

Jintor

For me, it's generally something like this

807503965_rBNbP-L.jpg

Of course, I generally need to enjoy the game to get into the swing of things, but it's nice to have a goal to aim for.

Two reasons I'm interested in them, but could easily live without them: 1) It proves I've done something in a game (not that I've ever had anyone doubt me, but it's kind of like a badge), 2) Sometimes they provide interesting additional challenges I might not have otherwise tried (one in GTA4 springs to mind, you had to have 10 cars explode in under 5 seconds, great fun, not in any way related to the main game)

Jintor

828141922_izJhC-L.png

ah, penny-arcade, time to catch up on about a half-year's worth of forgetting you made pretty good comics and not just cool conventions I can't go to and Ben Kuchera launchpads

He's got a long way to go before he's worth spending the money it takes for someone to switch teams. Norman didn't impress me a whole lot last year and I haven't seen enough of Kelly to make a judgement as to whether he's a good fit for 6 either.

From what I have seen of Kelly, he looks like a good organiser, which is needed because Sandow is severely lacking in that area. If Norman can't contribute in that area, he's not even worth looking at for the Eels.

It's also just another rumour and probably based on absolutely nothing anyway.

Agree 100%. As a Broncos fan I wouldn't be too surprised if he was poached. He runs the ball too much. That might work in some systems but the Broncos based around Lockyer's passing game it's not a good fit.

The only reason I'd be worried, is that I've doubted young Broncos before and they've gone onto turn out really well. I used to hate Corey Parker and before last season I couldn't understand the team's love of Alex Glenn.

senahorse

I like achievements but gamerscore, not so much. I remember on 360 when I first got it playing through games caring more about my GS than the games themselves lol. It doesn't bother me anymore as my paltry 35K is so far behind the devotees I could never catch up even if I wanted to.

Also Kritz, the reason why you don't care about steam achievements as much as 360 is probably because they are not invasive. On Steam it's just a little popup in the bottom right corner, a lot of the time I don't even notice it whereas on 360 it had that annoying *blip* and a rather big notification come up that often got in the way of on-screen text.

teekun

I like checklists. There's something incredibly satisfying about having a list of goals that I can fill in one by one until I've totally completed something. I don't really care whether or not anyone else looks at them, but I do like the fact that I can compare my progress in any one game against a friends.

Kritz

Banned
828141922_izJhC-L.png

ah, penny-arcade, time to catch up on about a half-year's worth of forgetting you made pretty good comics and not just cool conventions I can't go to and Ben Kuchera launchpads

Goddamn it who did that guest art? I used to read them... Was it nedroid? Mcninja? Blastwave? Argh.

I'm going to be thinking about this all day.

Xkcd? White ninja? Pbf?

They did two of them, I think.

Hey Bodyboarder, BF3 Premium is $30 at the moment, $10 more for the base game.

Adds more value to a game if you want it to.

Here is a list of cool shit to do in a game (if a developer makes a good list). Like play the whole game without vita chambers in Bioshock, which completely changes the way you play it (for the better imo) or dragging a fucking lawn gnome on your adventures so you can send him into space before the Russian and Chinese lawn gnomes.

If you don't like it the only thing you need to do is disable the notifications. That's it. If you want to chase down what cheevos you have, you can. They don't mean anything though.

Jintor

I don't know what that is. Are you a Japanese Delinquent now? Do you ride motorcycles and pick on nerds with your wooden sword?

Clipper

I kinda need an ethernet cord though. Anyone know where I can get one/ how to set it up?
An Ethernet cord would be the cable you connect between your router/modem and a PC when you aren't using WiFi. Are you sure that's what you need? If it's from a translation, it's possible they just mean that you need an Internet connection...

It might make sense if they are sending you a piece of hardware which you need to connect to your PC, I guess. In which case, you just get it from any computer shop for a few bucks.

I don't know what that is. Are you a Japanese Delinquent now? Do you ride motorcycles and pick on nerds with your wooden sword?
lolol. That would be the coolest job ever.
What's an Eikaiwa?
Its a conversational English school :p
An Ethernet cord would be the cable you connect between your router/modem and a PC when you aren't using WiFi. Are you sure that's what you need? If it's from a translation, it's possible they just mean that you need an Internet connection...

It would make sense if they are sending you a piece of hardware which you need to connect via, I guess. In which case, you just get it from any computer shop for a few bucks.

They said wireless is kinda iffy connection-wise. I don't wanna be cutting out mid lesson. It seems like there's nothing connected to the ethernet plugs in my router.

Clipper

They said wireless is kinda iffy connection-wise. I don't wanna be cutting out mid lesson. It seems like there's nothing connected to the ethernet plugs in my router.
Ah, right. Provided your laptop/PC also has an Ethernet port (and it probably should), then you just go and get the cable from any computer store. Just ask for an Ethernet cable (it's also called Category 5, or Cat-5 for short). It shouldn't cost more than $10 and will probably be a lot less.

In fact, you may have gotten one with your router. Check the box. Your router should be configured to enable the Ethernet ports by default, so connecting the cable and disabling your Wifi on the laptop should just work without any setup required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom