• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. All I was looking for was games when they were talking about the (fairly interesting) tech side, and then the games were boring. Watch Dogs and the Capcom thing looked cool. As does Destiny but all three of them will probably be multi-platform.

Danoss

The PS4 sure is another console with ordinary looking games that do nothing new at all. I'm not the slightest bit surprised.

While the announcement was going on, I ordered myself some actual cool games.

AmrO8yo.jpg

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space where half the group are humans and the other half are aliens. No one knows who the others are and move about in secret, only announcing their position when they make a noise (or fake a noise where they are not to misdirect). First human to escape the ship wins, aliens win when all humans are dead.

keziSzF.jpg

Tammany Hall is a reprint of the 2007 game that only produced 500 copies. Each person is vying for political control of 1850-1870 New York using deception and backstabbing. Won't be available for a few weeks, sadly.

mqT7WBU.jpg

Room 25. Ever see the movie called 'Cube'? This is the board game version of that, and it looks fantastic. Just released today.

Opened up and played Jaipur last night. Wife was pretty tired and reluctant to play, and also told me she doesn't like card games at all (seems like it was a great choice then :\) but after some persistence we cracked it open anyway. Reading through the instructions proved a little confusing for some reason (possibly just me trying to explain my understanding of it) so we opted just to have a crack at playing and less than two minutes later we had a good handle on the game. It's that easy to pick up.

Two games later (four rounds) and I think I can say we both enjoyed it a lot. It doesn't take a lot of brain power, which means it's a fantastic game to bust out when you're tired and just want a fun game that still has a little strategy, and allows you to screw people over just enough.

It's two-player only, so it's perfect for us. Definitely recommended.

Mark Rein from epic was just on the GT cast, think he was about to blow a load talking about the ram.
Don't know why. It's unified memory, so if you wanted a reasonable graphics card compared to a PC one, which is 2GB, you "only" have 6GB left over. It is pretty fast though, which is nice.

AmrO8yo.jpg

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space where half the group are humans and the other half are aliens. No one knows who the others are and move about in secret, only announcing their position when they make a noise (or fake a noise where they are not to misdirect). First human to escape the ship wins, aliens win when all humans are dead.

This seems cool, but I'm not sure how it would work. How do people keep their locations and identities a secret?

Don't know why. It's unified memory, so if you wanted a reasonable graphics card compared to a PC one, which is 2GB, you "only" have 6GB left over. It is pretty fast though, which is nice.

probably moreso in comparison to current consoles 16 times as much ram and over 3-4 times as fast

Danoss

This seems cool, but I'm not sure how it would work. How do people keep their locations and identities a secret?

Each player gets one of those sheets to themselves. Underneath the top flap that is folded up with the game's name on it, there are places to put the coordinates where you currently are. As long as no one is sitting right next to you, this would easily be obscured from them. The grid is there for player reference for where they may want to move next, as well as keeping track of where other players are likely to be.

Identities are handed out as cards at the beginning of the game, so you just remember which race you are and that's it.

Shut Up and Sit Down wrote a review about it here, if you or anyone else are interested in reading about it in their usual manner.

jambo

Probably because everything they've been making for the past 8 years has targeted 256MB of RAM =P

reggie

Banned
Maybe I've become jaded, but the I thought the Sony conference was fucking weak. If this is what people are excited for then maybe consoles are dead to me.

Omikron

Agreed. All I was looking for was games when they were talking about the (fairly interesting) tech side, and then the games were boring. Watch Dogs and the Capcom thing looked cool. As does Destiny but all three of them will probably be multi-platform.

Absolutely, interesting to see the x86 architecture has played out, should mean the majority of games will be on all platforms. So the decision for any consumer is down to the software features really.

Or WiiU.

Absolutely, interesting to see the x86 architecture has played out, should mean the majority of games will be on all platforms. So the decision for any consumer is down to the software features really.

Or WiiU.

I know this makes me a GAF pariah, but I was semi looking forward to Kinect 2 on 720 just as a point of difference from the PS4, but now it's got this camera too then I can just tell they're both going to be identical.

Hopefully Microsoft can do a better job with the games. Maybe their lack of first party titles in the past years is because they've been concentrating on next gen. Right? Guys? Right?

Omikron

Yeah my brother and I played it alot. I think I still have the discs around somewhere.

Was Diablo one of the game that worked with the link cable?

I remember Doom did, also pretty good.

I know this makes me a GAF pariah, but I was semi looking forward to Kinect 2 on 720 just as a point of difference from the PS4, but now it's got this camera too then I can just tell they're both going to be identical.

Hopefully Microsoft can do a better job with the games. Maybe their lack of first party titles in the past years is because they've been concentrating on next gen. Right? Guys? Right?

Hrmm. Yeah. About that.

Hrmmm. Achievements ruining games etc.

Rezbit

PS4 event was snooze fest. So much talking about nothing.

Cue "SURPRISE! It's fucking nothing." gif. Some of the promises sound interesting but I wanna see the goods.

Shaneus

MEGATON!!!!

7Gmsquh.png

Two party future.
I see Lucid there and I shit myself for a little bit, then I realise they did that crappy PS Vita free thing which is probably why it was mentioned on there.

Weird to see Nintendo on there. Maybe it's because you can access their YouTube channel from the PS4?

I did a fairly quick and dirty recap of the PlayStation 4 event, with embedded trailers, for Auscunts who missed it: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/recap-sonys-playstation-4-event/
Rad.

PS4 event was snooze fest. So much talking about nothing.

Cue "SURPRISE! It's fucking nothing." gif. Some of the promises sound interesting but I wanna see the goods.
FcRcEvP.gif

That's what I'm gathering. It does X and Y better than PS3, but that's all I can see about it. I'm more curious about how MS and their Kinect 2.0 with better definition/bandwidth/resolution will work. Hope they smash it out of the park.

PS. The PS4 thread title should've been "Sony Press Conference Feb 20 2013 'What's a Vita?'".

hamchan

I'm just happy that the level of graphics has finally been moved up. Even if I found a lot of the games boring I can at least appreciate that they graphically look good.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hmmm I am due to upgrade my PC this year, now I am not sure, unless I get one of those Titan GPU's for some ungodly price.

Yea nothing is really coming out this year in terms of new GPUs. So the upgrade path for PCs is kinda dead in 2013.

Shaneus

Sorry, AusGAF. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw it,
no
apologies for the obvious rush job. I'm at work.

A0uu50u.jpg

PS. Just saw the controller on EC's summary... holy crap, that looks shit. Like, REALLY bad. "Oh shit, that Ouya thing has a touch pad. Quick, what can we do in under a month?!?". Christ.

Sorry, AusGAF. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw it,
no
apologies for the obvious rush job. I'm at work.

A0uu50u.jpg

PS. Just saw the controller on EC's summary... holy crap, that looks shit. Like, REALLY bad. "Oh shit, that Ouya thing has a touch pad. Quick, what can we do in under a month?!?". Christ.

Gold.

You know what? I'd probably buy Diablo 3. I haven't played it on PC, but loved the first two. If some mates were getting it I can't see why I wouldn't.

So Jarryd Hayne is being spray painted as Prophet for some reason...
http://instagram.com/p/V-sgmUO7-P/

senahorse

So I am thinking of getting me a gpu to tide me over till next year and also so I can put my 6750 (modded to 6970) in my gf's pc. What is a decent mid-range card to help me with this, a 670?

I'm just happy that the level of graphics has finally been moved up. Even if I found a lot of the games boring I can at least appreciate that they graphically look good.
I looked at the upgrade and was like, oh yeah, the reflections on the glass are a little more realistic and skin looks more latexy than plasticky now. Neat.

But then I was like meh. Just like the Wii U announcement really.

Danoss

I've just been advised that the AusGAF Mumble server has been down for a few days, thanks to BananaArnie for bringing this to my attention. It seems the providers were victims of a DDOS attack and the problem was recently resolved (this time yesterday). I just had to start the server to get things running again.

If there are any problems like this that occur, please let me know so I can get on it for you. Most of you use the server more than I do, so you'll be aware of most things well before I am.

I hadn't abandoned the server and am more than happy to keep it going for as long as people are using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom