• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
www.depressionquest.com

just wanted to share the above. credit goes to shanshan for finding.

Depression Quest is an interactive fiction game where you play as someone living with depression. You are given a series of everyday life events and have to attempt to manage your illness, relationships, job, and possible treatment. This game aims to show other sufferers of depression that they are not alone in their feelings, and to illustrate to people who may not understand the illness the depths of what it can do to people.

Haha, EB games made a funny.

PS3 was $999 at launch here. PS2 and PS1 were both $750. Both Xboxes were $650 at launch.

I know exchanges rates are better but since when has that stopped anyone?

I'm hoping it's cheaper than $600 considering there doesn't seem to be any super expensive tech in this machine like cell or a new disc format

So am I correct in reading the hive mind that most are disappointed apart from the PS3 fans on GAF?

Dead Man

PS3 was $999 at launch here. PS2 and PS1 were both $750. Both Xboxes were $650 at launch.

I'm hoping it's cheaper than $600 considering there doesn't seem to be any super expensive tech in this machine like cell or a new disc format

So am I correct in reading the hive mind that most are disappointed apart from the PS3 fans on GAF?

I don't think any currency savings will be passed on to purchasers, I expect a butt raping for the first 18 months of the console.

As for the hive, I think it is more just that it was a confirmation of what was known rather than disappointment.

jambo

The Xbox 360 dropped in price sharply within a few months of launch, plus the Wii U was priced incredibly well.

I don't think MS and Sony will be able to get away with a big difference, especially with MS being brought before Parliament to explain their price differences.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hmmm not sure, but I will only use it until maxwell comes out next year so I don't want to blow a fortune on it and it has to be a better performer than the 6970, preferably Nvidia, pretty sick of AMD's issues.

No real issues with my 6970 at the moment. The 670 could be a good small upgrade if you really wanted to spend the money.

I do wonder though. With both next gen consoles having AMD parts, Would ports on the PC be better on AMD GPUs?

I still don't know what I want my PC to be. If I really want it to be a sweet gamer rig, maybe xfire/sli mid range parts, 27" IPS monitor, good speakers, water cooled or simply continue playing the same sort of PCs i've always built.

Omikron

The Xbox 360 dropped in price sharply within a few months of launch, plus the Wii U was priced incredibly well.

I don't think MS and Sony will be able to get away with a big difference, especially with MS being brought before Parliament to explain their price differences.
I think for hardware there is a fair bit more wiggle room than online dd pricing mismatch.

360? I doubt that would have dropped quickly (when nothing dropped for ages this gen). Happy to be corrected if it was.

I know the orig Xbox went from 650 to 399 in about a month. MS at least game early adopters a controller and 2 first party games.

PS3 went down from 750 to 650 bundled with a game in 2001 and then down to 499 briefly before going UP by about $30-40. PS3 went down to 799 with the 40 Gb

I don't think any currency savings will be passed on to purchasers, I expect a butt raping for the first 18 months of the console.

As for the hive, I think it is more just that it was a confirmation of what was known rather than disappointment.

Pretty much.
The Gaikai stuff is cool. Most of the tech stuff was pretty rad. But the games were a bit samey.
Maybe Kinect 2 will actually do some cool shit this time. Like for real. Like finger tracking for RTS games or gesture control for team mates in shooters. People are clearly getting sick of the same games just shinier (RRP $899)

Aww yeah. Next two brews lined up: A hoppy American Pale Ale (brewing tomorrow). Brew number ten (I think) will be a Saison, next month.

And now that I've moved my brewday up...

... MELGAF MEET AT (TBA, PROBABLY BEER DELUXE) ON SATURDAY 23RD AT 1PM. ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* aniseed (maybe?)
* evlcookie (ha!)
* you?

I've just been advised that the AusGAF Mumble server has been down for a few days, thanks to BananaArnie for bringing this to my attention. It seems the providers were victims of a DDOS attack and the problem was recently resolved (this time yesterday). I just had to start the server to get things running again.

If there are any problems like this that occur, please let me know so I can get on it for you. Most of you use the server more than I do, so you'll be aware of most things well before I am.

I hadn't abandoned the server and am more than happy to keep it going for as long as people are using it.

yeah thanks, i appreciate having a mumble for us to use. just joined a friends teamspeak, i doubt it was that all 4 of them had shitty mics and internet connection but that sounded the worst, like train platform announcer bad. nothing like the crisp clear sounds of mumble.

Danoss

www.depressionquest.com

just wanted to share the above. credit goes to shanshan for finding.

Depression Quest is an interactive fiction game where you play as someone living with depression. You are given a series of everyday life events and have to attempt to manage your illness, relationships, job, and possible treatment. This game aims to show other sufferers of depression that they are not alone in their feelings, and to illustrate to people who may not understand the illness the depths of what it can do to people.

That is indeed excellent for people who don't get what depression does to you and how stifling it is.

As a person who has and still does experience depression, it's like a mirror being held up. I just read that for a little bit and am like "well, that's my life". It could certainly gotten much darker very early on, but it would throw people off who don't understand and it seems to be demonstrating the downward spiral that it really can be.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Aww yeah. Next two brews lined up: A hoppy American Pale Ale (brewing tomorrow). Brew number ten (I think) will be a Saison, next month.

And now that I've moved my brewday up...

... MELGAF MEET AT (TBA, PROBABLY BEER DELUXE) ON SATURDAY 23RD AT 1PM. ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* aniseed (maybe?)
* evlcookie (ha!)
* you?

Might come (since I probably won't have many chances to go to melbgaf meet-ups when I start uni!)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
That is indeed excellent for people who don't get what depression does to you and how stifling it is.

As a person who has and still does experience depression, it's like a mirror being held up. I just read that for a little bit and am like "well, that's my life". It could certainly gotten much darker very early on, but it would throw people off who don't understand and it seems to be demonstrating the downward spiral that it really can be.

same.

I was going through it going this is so fucking me. where was this 5 years ago to let me know I had it.

It's quite spot on.

Jintor

I've just been advised that the AusGAF Mumble server has been down for a few days, thanks to BananaArnie for bringing this to my attention. It seems the providers were victims of a DDOS attack and the problem was recently resolved (this time yesterday). I just had to start the server to get things running again.

If there are any problems like this that occur, please let me know so I can get on it for you. Most of you use the server more than I do, so you'll be aware of most things well before I am.

I hadn't abandoned the server and am more than happy to keep it going for as long as people are using it.

Cheers D.

D'ya need chip-in costs to keep it up by any chance?

Dead Man

Yeah, I pimped it out on facebook too, I thought it was pretty well done.

Danoss

Cheers D.

D'ya need chip-in costs to keep it up by any chance?

Nah, it's not terribly expensive, but thanks for the offer.

One person chipped in a little while ago and I don't think they've even used it once. I think that was when cash-flow was a real problem for me, it was a nice gesture that I thought I'd mention so they know I haven't forgotten.

Rezbit

Nah, it's not terribly expensive, but thanks for the offer.

One person chipped in a little while ago and I don't think they've even used it once. I think that was when cash-flow was a real problem for me, it was a nice gesture that I thought I'd mention so they know I haven't forgotten.

Yeah thanks heaps mate, you're a legend. We use it a lot for Dota and it's invaluable!

Oh man, PS4 reveal went much better than expected. All the Sony stuff was perfectly done, shits all over any other console reveal that I have seen, especially the PS3 reveal.

The fact that it was before E3 means they can introduce the important features and then go into full detail at E3 when they don't have to provide background for all of this.

I cannot think of how they could have pleased more people, without alienating the majority of the market. The focus on DD and Cloud gaming, along with PC ideas like interconnected social networks (and livestreaming) give console gaming something fresh which is nice.

Love the idea of streaming PS4 games to a Vita when you have to give the TV up for someone else to use.

Also love that you can allow people to message you will you livestream a game, I can see that being really fun in adventure games.

The fact that the PS4 is effectively 'always on' also means I don't have to worry about updates, which you would think more people would be talking about since one of the biggest complaints about the PS3 is that you have to update it every 30 minutes!

Also really cool that you get to try every PS4 game without spending a cent! I can see that being a good way to pick up impulse buyers in the future, allow people to try a game on a whim and if they like it they will find a price tag in front of their face saying "unlock the whole game right now for only $xx!".

After 360/PS3 dropped BC with the vast majority of Xbox/PS2 titles I didn't expect PS4 to either, especially once it was confirmed it was x86. It sucks but I can deal with it while I have a working PS3, same as I did with my PS2 and Xbox.
The potential of the Cloud certainly makes it a less bitter pill to swallow! Definitely the future of gaming.

Games shown were great, just a taster since it was only announcement day after all. Most games would be held for E3 since they have to go up against all the other platform holders. Also love the fact that the first PS4 game to be shown to public is a cool, cutesy looking Jak & Daxter type game.

Still lots of questions to be answered, but the event ran long as it is. If we don't get more concrete details about all the prices involved at E3 I would get annoyed, not yet though.

Nice to see that it is 2013 though! Didn't expect it to come with a headset though.

Mad as Hell = Good
Mr and Mrs Murder = Bad
Awww that sucks, the ads looked good!
Was going to watch it tonight with the wife, might hold off now.

gaf already dropped once, wonder how many more deaths will be died today
It's as if it is held together by paddle pop sticks lately, not sure what is going on.

I think GAF ran pretty well through E3 last year?

If it doesn't improve I can't see how it will hold up for this year :/

Playstation Meeting Snack Thread?

For fuck's sake, people.
Awww get fucked Jase! Gotta get your snack on! Especially if it was going to be a hilarious Wonderbook event!

20130221_101341y9pr2.jpg

(My tummy hurt after eating so much popcorn though :( totally worth it )

Rep: Do you have that (whiskey) cheers/toast gif handy? Need it if you have it around!

(which man?)
Muglh.gif

Mark Cerny, god of the industry. You will have enjoyed many of his productions.

Also this is the actual slide that showed up in the event, not that photoshoped one.
thirdparty.jpg

Any pricing prediction? I'm betting on $449 (USD).
Considering the 300 pound rumour seemed to be pretty solid I would guess $400USD in the US (maybe even $450 like you guessed), $500AUD here. Won't be more than $600AUD here, Aussie dollar is high and Sony know they need to get this thing rolling into as many homes as possible to avoid missing out on taking advantage of the weak WiiU reception.

Don't know why. It's unified memory, so if you wanted a reasonable graphics card compared to a PC one, which is 2GB, you "only" have 6GB left over. It is pretty fast though, which is nice.

Compared to current gen, which has gotten us games like Watch_Dogs, Uncharted 2, Halo 4 and Arkham City, it is a huge deal!

Sounds like the OS stuff isn't too hungry so there will be plenty left over for gaming usage, which is shown by being able to multitask so much!

Maybe I've become jaded, but the I thought the Sony conference was fucking weak. If this is what people are excited for then maybe consoles are dead to me.
What wouldn't have made it weak though? I'm not sure what more they could have done a few months before E3. If they blow all their wad at once they will lose steam before release.

Marketing ho!

Terrible article. Zero detail, just "ZOMG! Look at the Twitters!".

Give us a look back at the WiiU, PS3, 360, Xbox announcements.
Give us a look at how many high level female rep's there are at these developers and publishers that you would expect to be asked to give their 5c on the PS4 at announcement.

Outrage is more fun though I guess.

What WAS weird was they needed to get 4 guys from Bungie all the way to the event, put them up on stage, and then only have one of the guys talking. What were the other 3 for?

So Jarryd Hayne is being spray painted as Prophet for some reason...
http://instagram.com/p/V-sgmUO7-P/
One of the Pussycat Dolls got done too.

Typical shitty EA marketing.

You would think they could come up with a campaign that actually ties into the game better, considering you wear the suit in the game the whole time so you can't see the damn thing.

SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH YEAR OF THE BOW FFS!

Maybe Kinect 2 will actually do some cool shit this time. Like for real. Like finger tracking for RTS games or gesture control for team mates in shooters. People are clearly getting sick of the same games just shinier (RRP $899)
Would be good, Kinect has turned out like the Wii though. Sold a fuckload of hardware, graveyard of software though. Nothing outside of party games and some early, promising efforts that didn't sell.

It was meeeeeeeeeeee.
I don't play MP games so I haven't used it, aside from that one time we played L4D2 and I stunk up the place.

Dead Man

What wouldn't have made it weak though? I'm not sure what more they could have done a few months before E3. If they blow all their wad at once they will lose steam before release.
Yeah, I wasn't blown away, but I don't think it would be possible for a console launch to do that, I don't know what people expected who are disappointed. I am disappointed by the lack of PS1 BC, and BC in general, but other than that it is about what I expected, some cool things I wasn't expecting balance it out.

'Nerdgasm! Pussycat Doll Ashley wearing nothing but paint'... and bra, and knickers, and shoes, and makeup. Lies, everything is lies.

The Revolution launch blew my hype levels into the stratosphere. I thought myself cynical then but I bought into it. For something to impress me given the Wii letdown, it's going to have to be pretty fucking incredible.

Compared to current gen, which has gotten us games like Watch_Dogs, Uncharted 2, Halo 4 and Arkham City, it is a huge deal!
Problem is, most of the demos they ran were dullsville. I was bored about 30 seconds into where the guy was given control on the Killzone 4 (whatever) demo, after the 45 minute cutscene.

The car game might be nice, but who the hell knows (and it's not Gran Turismo, where the fuck was that)? It looks like a car show simulator. I hope it's got a Jeff's Shed "track" so I can relive the Melbourne Car Show.

Watch_Dogs I am incredibly skeptical about, because it's Ubisoft and all their games are becoming the same side-quest-athons. Assassin's Creed 3, Far Cry 3 (haven't played either of those, actually). I got the same vibe just after the guy ran down the crook in that demo.

What else did they show? A PC game (The Witness) and some fucking weird Muppet simulator (that Media Molecule thing). That's it. Oh, the Capcom Dragon's Dogma Dark Souls Deep Down game looked nice. But given it's Capcom... I'll wait and see. And where was Remember Me? Oh right, there's a Final Fantasy apparently.

The always-on, sharing (doesn't sound like it's built-in but instead uses third parties like twitch.tv), background downloading, playing-while-downloading, all sound pretty cool. I wish they'd change the fucking controller more because I hate the DualShock, but I'll give it a go because it does look at least slightly different. Plus it's got coloured lights I'll never look at.

Jintor

I'm not terribly fussed over the PS4's plus or minus. I'm far more interested because this'll standardise the dev thingies for multiplatform game developments

I expect it to hit some places December, a few territories to be pushed to January if they don't get some sweet manufacturing contracts in place.

Look what happened to the WiiU after all.

The Revolution launch blew my hype levels into the stratosphere. I thought myself cynical then but I bought into it. For something to impress me given the Wii letdown, it's going to have to be pretty fucking incredible.

What you need, my good man, is Oculus Rift! Meets the hype and is indeed, a revolution.

I was an early adopter of Eyetoy so my hype level for the Wii never really got going lol

The game stuff they showed didn't really wow me but pretty much all the system talk before hand was pretty awesome imo. Which is the opposite of how these things usually go.

Not that the footage was bad just not as much hype as I was hoping for.

Can we get a scale on that bar graph.

looks a bit dodgy to me like they did some wierd bandwidth + size combo graphs

DELICIOUS 10MB GIF

Killzone 4 (whatever) demo, after the 45 minute cutscene.

The car game might be nice, but who the hell knows (and it's not Gran Turismo, where the fuck was that)?

Watch_Dogs I am incredibly skeptical about, because it's Ubisoft

What else did they show? A PC game (The Witness) and some fucking weird Muppet simulator (that Media Molecule thing). That's it. Oh, the Capcom Dragon's Dogma Dark Souls Deep Down game looked nice. But given it's Capcom... I'll wait and see. And where was Remember Me? Oh right, there's a Final Fantasy apparently..
I expected Killzone 4 since the dev hasn't been doing much lately, Killzone 3 was what, 2011? So they would most likely be the furthest along in development, also because of their close ties to Sony hardware development.

New Evolution game was expected due to the last Motorstorm game being so long ago, the addition of a few other racing developers to the team have me excited for their work again. Also internal studio very close to the hardware team.

Sucker Punch had been quiet too. Same with Media Molecule, their Move game looks to be a bit of fun.

Watch_Dogs was there purely so Ubi could build hype, nothing more.

The Witness was a strange inclusion, I guess it was nice for an indie dev to get such a spotlight though.

Remember Me is meant to be out soon! Well before the PS4 so I didn't expect anything about it at a PS4 Announcement Event. Plus I don't have much faith in it, neither do Capcom by the looks of it.

The game stuff they showed didn't really wow me but pretty much all the system talk before hand was pretty awesome imo. Which is the opposite of how these things usually go.

looks a bit dodgy to me like they did some weird bandwidth + size combo graphs
Yeah I was dreading the tech talk but Cerny is awesome and hit all the points quickly and focused on how it made things better to use.

Also the graph was just a joke way to say that it is a huge upgrade over the PS3, especially considering how much RAM even PC games use.

Shaneus

Buying for $5. If only someone could do a similar thing for ADHD, then I'd donate ten times as much. But knowing my luck, there are probably about 300 different games out there... all half finished.

PS. The one thing I did quite like about the PS4 is the 3.5mm controller, which (I assume) could be for custom sounds in games if you're playing multiplayer. My guess is, they do that thing where a 3D TV displays two different pictures to two different people and has two different audio streams going through the headphone jack. Or it's just so you can play games with headphones without needing to fuck around too much. Which I'm surprised hasn't been done already a billion times. Such an obvious idea, but yet to be implemented. Chuck some Dolby Digital Live or the DTS equivalent or whatever and watch people who have no home theater enjoy "surround" sound with no additional cost.

Actual framerate?

What's that?

Omni

So university starts again next week. Where would be the best place to buy a Surface, AusGAF? (figure that it would be good for note taking)

Deeku

nice little recap there rep, thanks:D

can't say i'm excited yet, but it sounds cool enough.

Salazar said:
Anyone have a best-guess as to how much money I should set aside for this Sony thing ?
sell ur boots

Danoss

Buying for $5. If only someone could do a similar thing for ADHD, then I'd donate ten times as much. But knowing my luck, there are probably about 300 different games out there... all half finished.

Haha, I love the way you put that, gave me a good laugh.

I was diagnosed with ADD, but that was well before ADHD was a thing, I'd assume they're the same anyway. It is a prick, I'd have no idea how to demonstrate that. Maybe "here's a slightly challenging math equation, now solve it while a bunch of people yell random distracting things and while we flash distracting images over the top of the equation to make it hard to concentrate".

Depression Quest would fit in well as depression commonly pairs up with ADD/ADHD, as does drug abuse.

And now I am abusing someone who probably suffers from depression in that Depression Quest thread :( I am a bit of a shit sometimes.

Depressed people can be arseholes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom