• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
MELGAF MEET AT (PROBABLY) BEER DELUXE ON SATURDAY 23RD AT 1PM.
ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* aniseed
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* lafiel (maybe?)
* evlcookie (maybe? probably not)
* you?

Fusebox

Banned
I had to do a few Chocobo races on the train this morning to get some GP to enter the battle arena - that's some surreal shit. Those rainbows. By the third or so attempt I was just closing my eyes listening to the weird music.

Jintor

I fucking loved the PS4 conference, I've watched it about 3 times so far lol. Jizzed at the official Vita/PS4 love.

Aaah I can't watch this at work, will have to check it out as soon as I get home.

I've been waiting for the disc swap prompt. Either disc 1 contains most of the game, or they've removed the manual disc swapping requirement on the Vita.

Probably the latter.

I played last night up to leaving Corel prison. The Chocobo section was supercharged speed wise, good to see they fixed that for the PC re-release.

It's still there, neither of you fools are far enough.

GAF will hate it so so much. People around here, for all their love of the shiny and new, are surprisingly hostile to change. I for one hope the Xbox 3 reveal is 75% social, entertainment or non-game stuff, 20% Kinect 2.0 and the stuff GAF wants relegated to a five minute sizzle reel. For the lulz, you understand.

If GAF could I'm about 90% sure they'd still be using SNES controllers if not Atari joysticks. Some of the time it really comes off as trying to keep gaming a niche market where you'd think this would be the people driving it to be as big as possible.

Oh and PS4 $650. Maybe $499 for a basic unit.

I'm not getting the Cerny love either. To me, not knowing him from a bar of soap, he came across of pretty uncharismatic and odd, but a lot of people have huge love for him after the show.

Did you guys see that article I linked to on Twitter? It pretty much nails exactly why I didn't like the PS4 "nonveiling".

Looking at my Twitter feed this morning, it seems that a number of articles are popping up regarding how bland it was. I'm just glad people are able to articulate exactly what I couldn't put my finger on was unsettling about that presentation.

Cynics: The Article.

Who gives a fuck about what the PS4 looks like? Are we that vain? I just want it to do lots of cool shit, I don't need to show off the case to people, I would show off the games to people.

When Gears of War came out I wasn't telling people, "Hey, look at this white box! How cool is that!", I was saying, "Hey, look at the visuals in this game! Look at how detailed it is!". Same with the PS3, it wasn't until Wipeout HD that I actually took the time to show the PS3 off to people who came by the house. I can't recall ever having someone grab me and tell me to look at the console shell itself

:/

Also

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO MAKE FPS GAMES ANY MORE
NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO MAKE RACING GAMES ANY MORE

EVERY NEW GAME MUST BE INSPECTED BY A PANEL OF EXPERTS TO MAKE SURE IT IS COMPLETELY UNRECOGNISABLE

I've been waiting for the disc swap prompt. Either disc 1 contains most of the game, or they've removed the manual disc swapping requirement on the Vita.
It's still there, neither of you fools are far enough.
Damnit, I totally remember the second disc starting after the boat ride? Or was it the Condor Fort?
Probably stuck in my head like that as Midgar always felt like what I expected to be a WHOLE game, not just part of it. So my childish brain would think that just the Midgar section was one disc. :)

I'm not getting the Cerny love either. To me, not knowing him from a bar of soap, he came across of pretty uncharismatic and odd, but a lot of people have huge love for him after the show.
He is the only Sony guy to talk about the hardware in a fashion that I found tolerable and didn't put me to sleep. He avoided slides showing bloody flowcharts and shit, focusing more on the ideas behind it.

Also he has been involved in a TON of awesome games over the decades.

Alright, I seem to accumulate awesome games and never finish them.

This week I will remain glued to the DS and finish both 999 and Ghost Trick.

Because I don't think my constitution is up for any more Dead Space 3 :(

Also I watched the Alien 3 doco the other day, was expecting it to go for half an hour or so but I was still up watching it at 2AM IN THE FUCKING MORNING. I should find out how long it was, certainly longer than the damn movie! Great watch, although the most interesting stuff is in the first half.

Fusebox

Banned
My body is ready.

Alright, I seem to accumulate awesome games and never finish them.

This week I will remain glued to the DS and finish both 999 and Ghost Trick.

Love Ghost Trick. I really need to replay 999 as well, I've only seen the first ending and apparently I haven't played the game properly if I haven't played it through 5 times or whatever it is.

Fusebox

Banned
What have you been doing the whole time Fuse? I'm sitting on like 25 hours and I'm nearly done with the second disc

Dunno, feels like I've been making decent progress. It's my first real playthrough and I'm not relying on any guides so I've spent a bit of time wandering around trying to figure out where to go next. Maybe it's that 18% speed difference if you're playing NTSC and I'm playing PAL.

Rezbit

Cynics: The Article.

Who gives a fuck about what the PS4 looks like? Are we that vain? I just want it to do lots of cool shit, I don't need to show off the case to people, I would show off the games to people.

When Gears of War came out I wasn't telling people, "Hey, look at this white box! How cool is that!", I was saying, "Hey, look at the visuals in this game! Look at how detailed it is!". Same with the PS3, it wasn't until Wipeout HD that I actually took the time to show the PS3 off to people who came by the house. I can't recall ever having someone grab me and tell me to look at the console shell itself

:/

Also

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO MAKE FPS GAMES ANY MORE
NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO MAKE RACING GAMES ANY MORE

EVERY NEW GAME MUST BE INSPECTED BY A PANEL OF EXPERTS TO MAKE SURE IT IS COMPLETELY UNRECOGNISABLE

Nothing wrong with being cynical about a thing we still know nothing about. Do we all have to "jizz" over it? It was a 2 hour extremely bloated presser that showed mostly CG footage of games and 3 nice bits of actual gameplay. Even the Gaikai stuff, they just said they're "investing."

Of course it will have great games and great features, but I will get hype when I have more concrete details to get hype. Or I might not get hype at all, a la Wii U.

Jintor

Dunno, feels like I've been making decent progress. It's my first real playthrough and I'm not relying on any guides so I've spent a bit of time wandering around trying to figure out where to go next. Maybe it's that 18% speed difference if you're playing NTSC and I'm playing PAL.

Ah, see, I'm not putting up with any of that old school 'we're not going to mark town names on your map so you forget what the fuck fort condor is because you never went there' bullshit

Danoss

AusGAF board gamers. We have successfully climbed K2, though some of us nearly died in the process. Now we have the opportunity to possibly die exploring The Cave.

neKjmnq.jpg

Thanks to Unhalfbricking being great, I got my hands on the promo exploration tiles from Essen. I also included Space Cadets and Resistance: Avalon in the picture because why not.

All he needs is a video of him chugging a yard glass and he could be in with a chance!

Sony on used games:

On possibility of PS4 blocking used games

When you purchase the disc-based games on PS4, it should work on any hardware. So that's what I'm saying.

On activation codes for secondhand PS4 titles

It's a publisher decision. We are not talking about it. Sorry.

They're still being cagey and not providing direct answers, but it sounds like they are going to provide the ability for publishers to lock out used games, so Sony can throw up their hands and say "it's the publishers' decision, not ours!"

Stackboy

Oh man, PS4 reveal went much better than expected. All the Sony stuff was perfectly done, shits all over any other console reveal that I have seen, especially the PS3 reveal.

The fact that it was before E3 means they can introduce the important features and then go into full detail at E3 when they don't have to provide background for all of this.

I cannot think of how they could have pleased more people, without alienating the majority of the market. The focus on DD and Cloud gaming, along with PC ideas like interconnected social networks (and livestreaming) give console gaming something fresh which is nice.

Love the idea of streaming PS4 games to a Vita when you have to give the TV up for someone else to use.

Also love that you can allow people to message you will you livestream a game, I can see that being really fun in adventure games.

The fact that the PS4 is effectively 'always on' also means I don't have to worry about updates, which you would think more people would be talking about since one of the biggest complaints about the PS3 is that you have to update it every 30 minutes!

Also really cool that you get to try every PS4 game without spending a cent! I can see that being a good way to pick up impulse buyers in the future, allow people to try a game on a whim and if they like it they will find a price tag in front of their face saying "unlock the whole game right now for only $xx!".

After 360/PS3 dropped BC with the vast majority of Xbox/PS2 titles I didn't expect PS4 to either, especially once it was confirmed it was x86. It sucks but I can deal with it while I have a working PS3, same as I did with my PS2 and Xbox.
The potential of the Cloud certainly makes it a less bitter pill to swallow! Definitely the future of gaming.

Games shown were great, just a taster since it was only announcement day after all. Most games would be held for E3 since they have to go up against all the other platform holders. Also love the fact that the first PS4 game to be shown to public is a cool, cutesy looking Jak & Daxter type game.

Still lots of questions to be answered, but the event ran long as it is. If we don't get more concrete details about all the prices involved at E3 I would get annoyed, not yet though.

Nice to see that it is 2013 though! Didn't expect it to come with a headset though.

Here here. I was pretty impressed with the PS4 presentation. Not sure what people expected really.

I dropped most of my cynicism the moment Cerny walked on stage and announced he's been in charge of the PS4 all along. That's just fucking INSPIRED placement. Take a look at all the games Mark Cerny's helped make. Jesus.

For a second I thought you were being sarcastic, but I looked at that list of games he's worked on and it is really impressive.

jambo

It's not looking good for the Sony!

http://www.businessinsider.com/goldman-sachs-speaks-on-ps4-2013-2

The firm also sees risk of a "downward spiral" just as game platforms have extended to smartphones and PCs:

in addition to dedicated consoles, we see little reason for developers to produce top titles for platforms with a low installed base; in turn there is a danger the installed base will not grow because the content lineup is weak.

Watanabe believes that the PS4's incompatibility to play PS3 discs is a serious disadvantage (PS3 games can only be streamed). This means software makers will have to develop software specifically for PS4.

DOOOOOOMED!!!

Jintor

Recursive logic lol

"Right now, the PS4 is not out. If we project these current standings into the near future, we can conclude that developers will not make games for consoles that are not out. Therefore, the PS4 will never have any games."

AusGAF board gamers. We have successfully climbed K2, though some of us nearly died in the process. Now we have the opportunity to possibly die exploring The Cave.

neKjmnq.jpg

Thanks to Unhalfbricking being great, I got my hands on the promo exploration tiles from Essen. I also included Space Cadets and Resistance: Avalon in the picture because why not.

of the games you own, are most of them quick to complete a round or are they long.
follow up, which do you prefer (i bet youll say either as long as its fun)

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/yoshida-talks-all-things-playstation-4-6404291 said:
On whether or not the PS4 will be region-locked

I know the answer, but I don't want to be quoted and get a call from my PR guy saying, 'What did you say?'

That’s... not a good sound...

Fredescu

"Who's going to want a new console? The other iteration will only be seven years old at that point."

"iPad 7?! Hoooooly shit, my iPad 5 is going in the bin. By the way the new iOS update isn't coming to iPad 4, but who cares right? It's sooo old."

That was super pretty. But when the guy finally got to play the damned game, after over five minutes of dull cutscenes, it looked fucking boring.

I know what you mean, it does look like the same old gameplay (even more COD-eqsue now), but I've always enjoyed Killzone.

Except Rico.

And the ending to Killzone 3

In fact, how the can there even be a Killzone 4 after the ending of 3.

/whatever.

Haha ridiculous logic. Not to say that PS4 is a guaranteed world beater, but that's stupid reasoning. Does the writer not realise this happens every generation?

Isn't that what Sony showed off today? All the same music/tv/movie streaming as Xbox? Also streaming to your Vita/phone/tablet?

Not to mention all the social stuff.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead I just saw it.

I'm imaging here the next Xbox would have TV and entertainment at the forefront. Like you get a Live subscription it comes with Foxtel on Xbox (or whatever its called) "for free." Actually that's genius. Xbox gets more services and Foxtel gets more subscibers.

IPTV has been talked about as the future for ages and with this generation of consoles, along with technology like the NBN, it's actually pretty possible. It seems obvious that Xbox Music will be included like it is in Windows 8, and then there is whatever that weird Microsoft LA studio is doing.

So it's not that gaming takes a back seat to this stuff, but it becomes just another part of the console.

Danoss

of the games you own, are most of them quick to complete a round or are they long.

I own a mixture, so there is something for all occasions. Some of the shorter games take about 30 mins, give or take; Hive in particular is one that can be over in as few as 5. The bulk of them take between 60 about 90 mins, but I also have a number that are 3 hours and up.

follow up, which do you prefer (i bet youll say either as long as its fun)

That's very close to what I'll say. They are all good as long as they are fun, but different times call for different games or a blend of some of them in succession. There are times when it's good for just a quick game of something, those games are usually light and rather easy to pick up and get into. There are other times when you'd like to settle in for something with a bit more meat, these games usually have a bit more depth to them and reward an investment in tactics and strategy and so on. Often the shorter/lighter games just serve as a warm-up before sitting down for a long session of one of the deeper games.

I wouldn't say that I prefer one over the other, but the longer games are often more rewarding. A victory often feels well earned, and even a loss feels like a triumph because you've learned something. That's not to write off the shorter/simpler ones at all. Looking at the quite possibly the shortest and simplest one I own, Hive, is very good indeed; it's like a cooler version of Chess, but no less serious once it hits the table.

Shaneus

So today I found a decapitated bird's head in my backyard.
As opposed to the head from a bird that *wasn't* decapitated?

Recursive logic lol

"Right now, the PS4 is not out. If we project these current standings into the near future, we can conclude that developers will not make games for consoles that are not out. Therefore, the PS4 will never have any games."
That was actually accurate for PS3, though.
JTZKkB7.png

Fredescu

My dad's iPad 2 runs iOS 6.1.2

Lucky it's not an iPad 1.

The point I was trying to make is that while consoles have definitive changes in compatibility every 6ish years, smart phones and tablets (not just Apple ones) gradually phase out compatibility without fanfare, and it's often a lot quicker to do so. It's clever marketing that sees us think of a 3 year old tablet as old hat but a 4 year old console as something that should receive years more software support. Yet they both cost roughly the same.

The Gizmodo AU story about SuperDaE is interesting but paints a man who is an admitted criminal and seems to be accused of corporate espionage in an really positive manner.

It's cool that Hopewell got so close to him to get the story, but he really needed some police sources there to balance it out.

jambo

The point I was trying to make is that while consoles have definitive changes in compatibility every 6ish years, smart phones and tablets (not just Apple ones) gradually phase out compatibility without fanfare, and it's often a lot quicker to do so. It's clever marketing that sees us think of a 3 year old tablet as old hat but a 4 year old console as something that should receive years more software support. Yet they both cost roughly the same.

I think the main difference with phones is that most people don't see them as being $800 items. They pay them off over a 2 year term and all they see is "Handset repayment $5 per month" and think it's a steal.

Jintor

By the way, i was asking about tablets a while back. What was the consensus? Nexus 7 with a blutooth keyboard or something?

Fredescu

I think the main difference with phones is that most people don't see them as being $800 items. They pay them off over a 2 year term and all they see is "Handset repayment $5 per month" and think it's a steal.

True. I think people would tend to buy tablets outright though, right? Those are what people often suggest are competing with consoles. It will be interesting to see if the new Xbox really does have an official repayment plan like that.

Shaneus

If I had to put in my own words what I didn't like about (what I heard about) the PS4 reveal, it's that they never really showed anything that was hugely different or innovative beyond what they'd done on PS3. Like they were upgrading for upgrading's sake rather than because it actually serves a useful purpose. I see the MS launch being a little different because it's going to be a little more of an "entertainment unit" than the PS4 and that's where I think they'll win over a number of people. Probably win over a few more by having a Kinect that's actually more sensitive and responsive, too.

The whole vibe of "none of this was even remotely possible on the current gen" was a load of horseshit, too. If we need all that power for emotions and shit, then what was it I experienced when I played The Walking Dead? Fuck you, Cage.

I'm seeing better graphics with it, but I can't definitively say I'm seeing better experiences with it. And fuck, we don't even know what it looks like, just that they're releasing a driving game, an FPS and we'll be seeing the announcement of something from Squeenix at E3.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1497914602&pf_rd_i=979455011

Bunch of DD PC games on sale at amazon and use CAGROCKS for an extra 25% off, only single use per account though.

Personally I bought Future soldier for $9.87 using the code
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081L7E8G/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Thanks for the heads-up! Buying the Dead Space 1-2 bundle now :) Probably means I'll have a spare Dead Space (Origin) code to give away, folks! Woo Friday!

MELGAF MEET AT (PROBABLY) BEER DELUXE ON SATURDAY 23RD AT 1PM.
ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* aniseed
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* lafiel (maybe?)
* evlcookie (maybe? probably not)
* you?
Nah, bunch of shit on in Geelong tomorrow. Soz guys!

Jintor

Damnit, every once in a while all the textures on the PSN version of FFVII corrupt and the game becomes completely unplayable. Managable if you're just tooling around grinding. Less so when you're in the middle of the game's many, stupid timed sequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom