• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
MELGAF MEET AT BEER DELUXE ON SATURDAY 23RD AT 1PM.
ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* aniseed
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* lafiel (maybe?)
* evlcookie (maybe? probably not)
* you?

NOT ATTENDEES:
* shaneus (has better things to do)

If you're a maybe, make sure you let someone know whether you definitely are or aren't going!

Omikron

ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* aniseed
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* lafiel (maybe?)
* you?

NOT ATTENDEES:

If you're a maybe, make sure you let someone know whether you definitely are or aren't going!

Nein. Family commitments!

(ie. 2yo birthday party time)

Danoss

Damn. I wish I had a board game group, but I imagine it would get difficult if the majority get stuck onto one game or whatever as you have experienced.

Agyar, Cods and Holy are nearby you aren't they? That'd be a great start if so.

If whatever accommodation is left wasn't so expensive, I'd travel down for some board gaming around PAX time.

Also, they have a guide for scores? Need to find this.

The little "i" logo when you go to add a score. Hover.

Jintor

references to sexual violence. ratings board is very hard on that, similar to their drug taking stance where actual drugs are bad, fake drugs are ok.

sexual references prob wouldn't even get you an M

so not actual sexual violence, just references to sexual violence

ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* aniseed
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* lafiel (maybe?)
* you?

NOT ATTENDEES:

Will be on the way to the Dandenongs by that point. Sorry dudes.

Fredescu

Nice one dude! Looks like a good price for it too.

It's an advertised price too: http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=4812 . It can be had slightly cheaper via importing but I figured it was worth getting it locally in case it breaks and so I don't have to dick around with converters.

BTW, if anyone here can use a Rode Procaster, let me know. I bought one before I had any idea what I was doing. It's a dynamic mic and I needed a condenser. Used once, then put back into the box.
For a second there I thought you were getting rid of your aforementioned Rode condenser. I'm slowly shopping from a condenser mic too.

Danoss

It's an advertised price too: http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=4812 . It can be had slightly cheaper via importing but I figured it was worth getting it locally in case it breaks and so I don't have to dick around with converters.

They're usually pretty cheap there, their advertised prices usually trump everywhere else.

For a second there I thought you were getting rid of your aforementioned Rode condenser. I'm slowly shopping from a condenser mic too.

I wish, a condenser would be so much easier to get rid of. Dynamic mics need powerful quality preamps to run them. My unit can power it, but I have to dial it right up which is not at all desirable.

If I were to buy a condenser mic now, it would be the Rode NT1-A. The NT2-A is wonderful, but far beyond my needs. The complete kits are excellent value too, with a pop filter, shock mount, and XLR cable included. I linked to Turramurra Music, because they are once again the cheapest.

ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* aniseed
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* lafiel (maybe?)
* you?

NOT ATTENDEES:

I have an important business meeting sorry.

Clipper

So, given it's about a year since we first started board gaming in SydGAF, and the recent gaming talk, I thought I'd look at the increase in my game list...

At the start of last year, I owned (along with release year as I am copying from my BGG list):
  • Mahjong (1850)
  • Get Nifty (2005)
  • Sid Meier's Civilization: The Card Game (2006)
  • Ticket to Ride (2004)

And since then, I have gotten (including most of the expansions for each):
  • Arkham Horror (2005)
  • Bang! (2002)
  • Battlestar Galactica (2008)
  • Cthulhu Dice (Copper die/white ink) (2012)
  • Discworld: Ankh-Morpork (2011)
  • Doctor Who: The Card Game (2012)
  • Elder Sign (2011)
  • Ergo (2009)
  • Game of Thrones (2012)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) (2011)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin (2007)
  • Guards! Guards! A Discworld Boardgame (2011)
  • The Hobbit Card Game (2012)
  • King of Tokyo (2011)
  • Mansions of Madness (2011)
  • Mice and Mystics (2012)
  • Munchkin Apocalypse (2012)
  • Munchkin Axe Cop (2011)
  • Munchkin Conan (2012)
  • Munchkin Cthulhu (2007)
  • Munchkin Deluxe (2011)
  • Munchkin Fu (2003)
  • Munchkin Impossible (2006)
  • Munchkin Quest (2008)
  • Munchkin Zombies (2011)
  • P.I. (2012)
  • Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery (2012)
  • Star Trek: Catan (2012)
  • Star Trek: Fleet Captains (2011)
  • Super Munchkin (2005)
  • Uncharted: The Board Game (2012)
  • War of the Ring (second edition) (2011)

I've liked all the ones I've played (and I have played most of them a few times and several of them many times), but I think one very safe thing to say is that I got addicted :/.

Thank you for this addiction, though, SydGAF, I do enjoy it. It is certainly going to be tough deciding what to bring to Pax Aus too...

ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* aniseed
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* lafiel (maybe?)
* you?

NOT ATTENDEES:

Crap. Totally out doing something else during then, but I'm actually going to be at Beer Deluxe later that night. Provided you guys are still there after 8pm, of course!

Fredescu

If I were to buy a condenser mic now, it would be the Rode NT1-A. The NT2-A is wonderful, but far beyond my needs. The complete kits are excellent value too, with a pop filter, shock mount, and XLR cable included. I linked to Turramurra Music, because they are once again the cheapest.
It's only for acoustic instruments, not voice. I'm thinking an M3 might be enough.

Danoss

It's only for acoustic instruments, not voice. I'm thinking an M3 might be enough.

Yep, that's a great mic. It's the condeser mic I'm currently using, so if you want a demo or something, let me know. Got it for $1 when Rode had a promotion on. Not kidding in the slightest.

Deeku

i don't really know what the vita game added, but the atelier series is generally pretty tame mostly innuendo j-nonsense. r18 just seems like overkill

i think it's just crazy that a work that might say something like 'rape occured' might immediately get bumped to r18+

well until we know what was actually said or shown it's hard to make a call one way or another.

I also think it could be crazy, but no less crazy than Fallout 3 going from RC to m15 just by changing the name of an ingame item

I'm going to take a guess that it's because you can bop slimes on the head in a bikini.

DOA would be instant refused classification if bikini violence was a thing lol

Danoss

Wow, that's one hell of a promotion. A demo would be lost on me, but thanks for the offer. I'm terrible with sound. I get fatigued with mixing and such so quickly.

It was indeed. You had to buy one of their listed mics, then you could choose one of the M Series and pay $1 for it. It only lasted a month, just a lucky time to be in the market for a mic I guess.

If you change your mind, let me know. I can easily meet you somewhere and you can try it out however you like.

Also, you're a guitar person aren't you? How did you learn? I used to play when I was young and tried getting back into it a few years ago. I bought an alright Yamaha acoustic guitar because a friend was going to teach me to play again. He showed me some exercises to practice finger co-ordination and I never saw him again. To save a guitar from going to waste in storage, do you know any reputable places to get some lessons?

markot

Banned
Comparing this to Miyamoto is insulting for everyone involved.

Major Havok (1983, arcade) — Programmer, Designer
Marble Madness (1984, arcade) — Programmer, Designer
Shooting Gallery (1987, Master System) — Programmer, Designer
Missile Defense 3-D (1987, Master System) — Programmer, Designer
Shanghai (1988, port to Master System) — Programmer
California Games (1989, port to Master System) — Programmer
Dick Tracy (1990, Genesis) — Programmer, Designer
Kid Chameleon (1991, Genesis) — Programmer, Designer
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992, Genesis) — Producer
Crash ‘n Burn (1993, 3DO) — Programmer, Designer
Total Eclipse (1994, 3DO) — Programmer, Designer
Disruptor (1996, PlayStation) — Executive Producer, Designer
Crash Bandicoot (1996, PlayStation) — Executive Producer
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (1997, PlayStation) — Producer, Designer
Spyro the Dragon (1998, PlayStation) — Executive Producer, Designer
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (1998, PlayStation) — Executive Producer, Designer
Spyro the Dragon 2: Ripto's Rage! (1999, PlayStation) — Executive Producer
Crash Bash (2000, PlayStation) — Producer, Designer
Spyro: Year of the Dragon (2000, PlayStation) — Design Consultant
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (2001, PS2) — Programmer
Ratchet and Clank (2002, PS2) - Designer
Jak II (2003, PS2) — Programmer, Designer
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (2003, PS2) — Designer
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (2004, PS2) — Design Consultant
Resistance: Fall of Man (2006, PS3) — Design Consultant
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007, PS3) — Design Consultant
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (2007, PS3) — Design Consultant
Resistance 2 (2008, PS3) — Designer
God of War III (2010, PS3) — Design Consultant
Killzone 3 (2011, PS3) — Design Consultant
Knack (PS4) - Director, Designer

Fredescu

Also, you're a guitar person aren't you? How did you learn? I used to play when I was young and tried getting back into it a few years ago. I bought an alright Yamaha acoustic guitar because a friend was going to teach me to play again. He showed me some exercises to practice finger co-ordination and I never saw him again. To save a guitar from going to waste in storage, do you know any reputable places to get some lessons?

I don't really remember how I got started, but I remember learning a lot from Nirvana's MTV Unplugged. The verses from About a Girl are just two chords, but learning to switch between them as a beginner and then getting the rhythm right was pretty rewarding. Then you can add another two chords on to the end of that and you have Polly! Then you know four open chords and the world is your oyster.

I didn't learn much theory until I took Bass lessons, but I wish I did earlier. I don't remember how I found out about that teacher and I don't remember how to find them again.

The best beginner guitar resource on the web is probably: http://www.justinguitar.com/ . I use it a fair bit to fill out gaps in my knowledge (there are a lot of those). If you feel you need face to face lessons, probably better to ask at a guitar store. I like the guys at http://iconmusic.com.au/ but they wouldn't be the teachers, so I can't speak for them in that regard.

Jintor

well until we know what was actually said or shown it's hard to make a call one way or another.

I also think it could be crazy, but no less crazy than Fallout 3 going from RC to m15 just by changing the name of an ingame item

Yes, but that was also fuckin' crazy

Danoss

I don't really remember how I got started, but I remember learning a lot from Nirvana's MTV Unplugged. The verses from About a Girl are just two chords, but learning to switch between them as a beginner and then getting the rhythm right was pretty rewarding. Then you can added another two chords on to the end of that and you have Polly! Then you know four open chords and the world is your oyster.

I didn't learn much theory until I took Bass lessons, but I wish I did earlier. I don't remember how I found out about that teacher and I don't remember how to find them again.

The best beginner guitar resource on the web is probably: http://www.justinguitar.com/ . I use it a fair bit to fill out gaps in my knowledge (there are a lot of those). If you feel you need face to face lessons, probably better to ask at a guitar store. I like the guys at http://iconmusic.com.au/ but they wouldn't be the teachers, so I can't speak for them in that regard.

Thanks mate. I think I'm better off with tradition lessons, I'm sure I'll need some help working with my short, stubby, uncooperative fingers. Looks like Guitar Factory has a tutor listed on their website, I might just give him a try and see how it goes. Face to face they can also easily pick up on bad habits and whatnot that may hinder progress at a later point.

Kinda wish I stuck with lessons and whatnot when I was younger. Could probably be a whole lot better off today, rather than starting again from scratch.

Jintor

Well, they have gotten lenient in one important respect: now the game can get a rating and at least be released on shelves

even if the shelves are in the naughty corner in the back with the weird bead curtains and the faintly creepy looking guy standing there browsing through games

Rezbit

Australia can't play spin. Must be a bi-product of having literally no international standard spinners playing for some time.

Of course it doesn't help India know this and prepared and absolute dustbowl of a pitch. Pretty dodge.

Fredescu

Kinda wish I stuck with lessons and whatnot when I was younger. Could probably be a whole lot better off today, rather than starting again from scratch.

That's one way of looking at it, but you're probably a lot more patient now than you were when you were younger. Now might just be the best point in your life to make a start. I totally wouldn't listen to the people telling me to learn theory and practice scales as a kid (it's not very punk!). Now I understand the virtues of consistency and patience and I learn some new theory and practice some scales every day, and I still improvise and do whatever shit I feel like afterwards, only this time there's a constant sense of improvement that goes along with it.

Starting out is definitely the hardest part. If you can grind through the initial difficulties (building your callouses and learning barre chords are probably the hardest), the learning curve after that can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

Dead Man

Well, they have gotten lenient in one important respect: now the game can get a rating and at least be released on shelves

even if the shelves are in the naughty corner in the back with the weird bead curtains and the faintly creepy looking guy standing there browsing through games

Only if the new content is actually something that would have been RC before. A reference to sexual violence seems like something GTA would have been RC'd for previously, or some other games, if it was actually bannable.

Australia can't play spin. Must be a bi-product of having literally no international standard spinners playing for some time.

Of course it doesn't help India know this and prepared and absolute dustbowl of a pitch. Pretty dodge.

Nail on the head Rezbit. If only we had spinners in Aus.

It's sad to see the Australian cricket team being so terrible, but it doesn't help when you don't pick the best players possible.

Danoss

That's one way of looking at it, but you're probably a lot more patient now than you were when you were younger. Now might just be the best point in your life to make a start. I totally wouldn't listen to the people telling me to learn theory and practice scales as a kid (it's not very punk!). Now I understand the virtues of consistency and patience and I learn some new theory and practice some scales every day, and I still improvise and do whatever shit I feel like afterwards, only this time there's a constant sense of improvement that goes along with it.

Starting out is definitely the hardest part. If you can grind through the initial difficulties (building your callouses and learning barre chords are probably the hardest), the learning curve after that can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

Very good point. I remember being told to go home and practice every day for a set amount of time. Did I do that? Of course not.

I originally learnt on a classical guitar, so callouses weren't really a thing then. With this acoustic guitar I have now, it will be a whole other kettle of fish. As long as I can see some semblance of progress when I'm learning, it's not so frustrating, you can see the reward at the end.

Fredescu

I originally learnt on a classical guitar

Me too, it was my mothers. Then I bought my own steel string and ouch! It didn't take that long to build up callouses I guess, but I knew how to play a few things by that time already. After you're over that hump though, it gets much easier. They stay with you for a long time too, even if you put it down for months.

Remembering this can help too, especially when learning. You might find yourself tensing up, holding on way too tight, bunching your shoulders up etc. The teacher might tell you to relax, and it's a good idea to keep in mind what that means. The person on that site is a bit of a nutcase about it, and from what I've read their book isn't worth it at all, but this one principle is very helpful.

Danoss

Me too, it was my mothers. Then I bought my own steel string and ouch! It didn't take that long to build up callouses I guess, but I knew how to play a few things by that time already. After you're over that hump though, it gets much easier. They stay with you for a long time too, even if you put it down for months.

Remembering this can help too, especially when learning. You might find yourself tensing up, holding on way too tight, bunching your shoulders up etc. The teacher might tell you to relax, and it's a good idea to keep in mind what that means. The person on that site is a bit of a nutcase about it, and from what I've read their book isn't worth it at all, but this one principle is very helpful.

Thanks again, they're some good things to know. I'm glad the initial discomfort from steel strings doesn't last long. I remember the first time I ever used a steel string guitar, I couldn't believe how unpleasant it was. Nylon strings were like pillows in comparison.

I've bookmarked that site for reference later, I understand the principle of it and it's surprising how common that is amongst many activities. It may not have as great an impact on other things, but it can certainly be there.

That looks like an awesome stereo field recorder. What are you using for? I read your post, just not sure what you meant by recording game sessions.

Sorry for the late reply, no idea how I missed this. By game sessions I meant pen and paper roleplaying games, making stuff up and rolling some dice. Hopefully pairing this up with a omnidirectional boundary mic for everyone at the table and perhaps a standard condenser for the Game Master (GM) will do a good job.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
ATTENDEES:
* codswallop
* holycheck
* aniseed
* bananaarnie (maybe?)
* lafiel (maybe?)
* you?

NOT ATTENDEES:

Change that "maybe' to a "definitely"

Will be there around 12:40ish.

Shaneus

Lol, you even said line-out in your post and I just totally missed it. I bet that was annoying! Haven't you got a laptop or do you want something more pocketable? What about one of those snazzy new iPad compatible soundcards? Something like this with the CCk would be sweet:

www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1248
I have a tablet which records alright (x86, it's an AMD Brazos) and also an iPad w/ Camera Connection Kit which I can get it to record with a vanilla, basic Behringer USB interface, but yeah... a portable "plug and play" recorder is what I'm looking for. That's hopefully not too expensive. Doesn't need to have that many features, just something like input gain control, WAV/MP3 recording and either an SD or CF slot. That's stereo.

With the jailbreak, maybe there's some audio recording software that'll work on iPhone (as the CCK is only supposed to work with the iPad).

PS. Thanks for the link-up, Danoss. I remember looking them up and I'm sure they appeared on my radar, not sure why I didn't follow it through. Maybe I thought ~$200 was more than I could afford at the time, I dunno. But if it's not a hunk of shit I'll definitely reconsider, even though (I think) you're really only using it to record via the mics and not the line-in.

Edit: Oh wait, maybe you can use the CCK on iPhone. Huh, there you go.

Danoss

Thanks for the link-up, Danoss. I remember looking them up and I'm sure they appeared on my radar, not sure why I didn't follow it through. Maybe I thought ~$200 was more than I could afford at the time, I dunno. But if it's not a hunk of shit I'll definitely reconsider, even though (I think) you're really only using it to record via the mics and not the line-in.

No worries at all mate. I am only using it for mics via XLR, not line audio via TRS. A friend of mine is a DJ, I'll see if I can get a test run done at some point in the future for you. I'm seeing her next week, so I'll ask her about it then.

So how bout that PS4?? Snoozefest apart form that Deep Down video if you ask me. I cant get excited bout 8 giga dwam whatever as I have no idea what it is/does.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate demos are out on both Nintendo systems, anybody give em a spin?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom