• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
AusGAF board gamers. We have successfully climbed K2, though some of us nearly died in the process. Now we have the opportunity to possibly die exploring The Cave.

neKjmnq.jpg

Thanks to Unhalfbricking being great, I got my hands on the promo exploration tiles from Essen. I also included Space Cadets and Resistance: Avalon in the picture because why not.

So jealous right now. I am really interested in The Cave and Space Cadets.

You guys like Good Food & Wine right? At least those of you in VIC or NSW.

I dropped most of my cynicism the moment Cerny walked on stage and announced he's been in charge of the PS4 all along. That's just fucking INSPIRED placement. Take a look at all the games Mark Cerny's helped make. Jesus.
See this man knows his history.

Nothing wrong with being cynical about a thing we still know nothing about. Do we all have to "jizz" over it? It was a 2 hour extremely bloated presser that showed mostly CG footage of games and 3 nice bits of actual gameplay. Even the Gaikai stuff, they just said they're "investing."
No need to get hype or get jizz.

It's a platform announcement. All that would be expected is, "Hey! We are going to release a new console. Here is some Alpha footage of games that haven't even been announced before today!"

Seems like a lot of people are being cynical for reasons disconnected to the actual event itself. This wasn't Sony saying WE GONNA SAVE DIS INDUSTRY BOIIII. It was them saying, "We have another console, here is the direction we are taking it."

At a New York event, Sony argues that the game industry’s problems can only be solved with more of everything
At no point did Sony argue that.

The article then goes on to argue that if developers aren't happy with their work on the PS3 they shouldn't be in this business at all. As if they should instead just iOS games on a tiny budget, as that is all they should need.

Anyway. At this announcement event they announced a lot of stuff. Isn't that what is expected? To announce stuff?

neKjmnq.jpg

Thanks to Unhalfbricking being great, I got my hands on the promo exploration tiles from Essen. I also included Space Cadets and Resistance: Avalon in the picture because why not.
Space Cadets looks awesome!

Sony on used games:

They're still being cagey and not providing direct answers, but it sounds like they are going to provide the ability for publishers to lock out used games, so Sony can throw up their hands and say "it's the publishers' decision, not ours!"
Sounds like Project $10/Season Pass but for the entire game. Which makes sense that it is on the publisher side and not Sony's side.

Technically they could easily put this into action on 360/PS3 right now can't they? Just lock out the content like they do with Project $10 stuff?

Will be interesting to see how much they/publishers think they can get away with. Sony seem pretty worried about taking the wrong steps this time around, if a publisher comes out and says they will block used games I wouldn't be surprised if Sony try and work out another route to avoid that scenario if it is announced before launch.

"Who's going to want a new console? The other iteration will only be seven years old at that point."

"iPad 7?! Hoooooly shit, my iPad 5 is going in the bin. By the way the new iOS update isn't coming to iPad 4, but who cares right? It's sooo old."
Pretty much. Comes down to marketing and PR. Sony have a long way to go to meet Apple in that department.

I know what you mean, it does look like the same old gameplay (even more COD-eqsue now), but I've always enjoyed Killzone.

Except Rico.

And the ending to Killzone 3

In fact, how the can there even be a Killzone 4 after the ending of 3.

/whatever.
It's a prequel by the looks of it.

Also look like a typical FPS tbh.

If I had to put in my own words what I didn't like about (what I heard about) the PS4 reveal, it's that they never really showed anything that was hugely different or innovative beyond what they'd done on PS3. Like they were upgrading for upgrading's sake rather than because it actually serves a useful purpose.

The whole vibe of "none of this was even remotely possible on the current gen" was a load of horseshit, too. If we need all that power for emotions and shit, then what was it I experienced when I played The Walking Dead? Fuck you, Cage.

I'm seeing better graphics with it, but I can't definitively say I'm seeing better experiences with it. And fuck, we don't even know what it looks like, just that they're releasing a driving game, an FPS and we'll be seeing the announcement of something from Squeenix at E3.

1. Isn't that exactly what everyone has been calling out for over the last 1-2 years?

2. I took it more like the developers are happy that they don't have to spend so much time trying to work around the limitations of the system. Now that it is x86 architecture they can focus their efforts more on developing that impact they are searching for. In regards to Cage I can understand that since his productions are more focused on cinematic and reactive experiences, so the increased fidelity is just more in line with how he directs a game (his final PS3 game is an example of that, with a lot of focus on making the people in the game believable).

3. What kind of experiences would be better experiences in your opinion? Is it a genre taste thing? They hit the major genre points out of the box; FPS, Racing, Action-adventure, Adventure-brawler (like God of War I guess, can't think of the right word). All the usual sports shit will be there, along with the indies since they are opening up the market for them all to jump into easier.

Would be great if it was $200! All my budget would allow for :)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwesome deal though! 1080p at 50 inches for $500 is all you need really!

So, the 'support' act for Opeth next month is Katatonia? How did I not know this. Going to be an epic night.
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Damnit, every once in a while all the textures on the PSN version of FFVII corrupt and the game becomes completely unplayable. Managable if you're just tooling around grinding. Less so when you're in the middle of the game's many, stupid timed sequences.

Might need to re-download the game? Sounds like it didn't download and unpack correctly.

Danoss

So jealous right now. I am really interested in The Cave and Space Cadets.

Space Cadets looks awesome!

As soon as I get the chance to try out both of them, I'll be sure to post about it.

With Space Cadets, it uses a 30 sec sand timer for some things, but be warned that most of them aren't 30 secs at all. Mine is closer to 40 and some others are off by even more. While there is always the option of pouring some of the sand out, Stronghold Games do have a free app for Android and iOS which has different timers in it specifically for their games. I've had a look inside the Space Cadets part of the app and it's quite well done. There are separate timers for different stages of the game, and sound alerts for when time is close to expiring and when it is up.

I wasn't expecting this until Monday, but now I can have a quick tool around with this over the weekend.

This thing was finally on special again, so I grabbed it. I wanted to be able to record game sessions in future with something like this, where it could still sound decent and be easy to listen to. It's got 2 XLR inputs so I can plug some better quality microphones into it. I've got a Shure omni boundary mic on the way, which should do a satisfactory job of recording the voice of everyone at the table. I've had a nice enough Rode condenser for years, which could be good for GM recording specifically.

The one thing I like about this unit is the safety track recording. If you're recording no more than 2 channels, you can have a duplicate track recorded at up to 12dB less than the main track. So if someone suddenly gets super excited and yells, clipping the audio, you can revert to the safety. I've probably put far too much thought into all of this.

Now I just have to pull my finger out and make something happen so I can run and participate on more games in person.

I was just so excited, I had to share. Last pick-up post of the day, I promise.

Fusebox

Banned
That looks like an awesome stereo field recorder. What are you using for? I read your post, just not sure what you meant by recording game sessions.

This thing was finally on special again, so I grabbed it. I wanted to be able to record game sessions in future with something like this, where it could still sound decent and be easy to listen to. It's got 2 XLR inputs so I can plug some better quality microphones into it. I've got a Shure omni boundary mic on the way, which should do a satisfactory job of recording the voice of everyone at the table. I've had a nice enough Rode condenser for years, which could be good for GM recording specifically.

The one thing I like about this unit is the safety track recording. If you're recording no more than 2 channels, you can have a duplicate track recorded at up to 12dB less than the main track. So if someone suddenly gets super excited and yells, clipping the audio, you can revert to the safety. I've probably put far too much thought into all of this.

Now I just have to pull my finger out and make something happen so I can run and participate on more games in person.

Nice one. I have some similar Zoom ones for recording sounds. Sure beats lugging around a DAT recorder. The nice ones also act as a USB sound card so you can use a PC to record the mike. Don't discount the built in mike being useful. You can also mount them on a camera tripod (which, I would assume you have, Danoss) to get a better mike position (at least you can with the Zoom ones).

also- EatChildren- something like this would be handy for your podcasts if the people are together around a table

Shaneus

On special? I've been looking for something to record at line-level for ages so I can get DJ sets on file, but they all tend to have something wrong with them that keeps me from buying them (usually the maximum input is woefully low for what I want). How much and where from?

And is it any good?

Damn you Danoss! I bought two recorders last year, stop making me want to buy a new one.
I do think I need a mic for mine. It's not really a broadcast quality recorder but I'm pretty sure I could up it from useless turd with a decent mic for scrums. Which I rarely to ever go to, but still.

Fusebox

Banned
On special? I've been looking for something to record at line-level for ages so I can get DJ sets on file, but they all tend to have something wrong with them that keeps me from buying them (usually the maximum input is woefully low for what I want). How much and where from?

And is it any good?

Why don't you just line-out man?

Also the ps4 looks terrible. Controller play with a Vita? I guess when you dont have any games for a gaming device you may as well make it the worlds most expensive control pad!

REMOTE play. So you can sit anywhere at home playing PS4 games on your Vita while the missus and kids use the TV.

markot

Banned
Also that Sony guy everyone just discovered and decided to hype up said single play games will be gone in a few years.

Lol.

Remote play if you also buy another console? That has no games? And costs a lot? Sounds like a plan. Next up, final fantasy crystal chronicals ps4 remake as killer ape!

Also the ps4 looks terrible. Controller play with a Vita? I guess when you dont have any games for a gaming device you may as well make it the worlds most expensive control pad!
I agree! The Vita only managing about 100 games in its first year is deplorable. It will take more than an additional feature of being able to also remotely play all PS4 games to improve the handheld.

markot

Banned
I agree! The Vita only managing about 100 games in its first year is deplorable. It will take more than an additional feature of being able to also remotely play all PS4 games to improve the handheld.

100 games and a good one aint one.

Get it? I did a song thingy.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm talking about using one to record a line out with... I'm not sure what you're asking :(

Lol, you even said line-out in your post and I just totally missed it. I bet that was annoying! Haven't you got a laptop or do you want something more pocketable? What about one of those snazzy new iPad compatible soundcards? Something like this with the CCk would be sweet:

www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1248

Remote play if you also buy another console? That has no games? And costs a lot? Sounds like a plan. Next up, final fantasy crystal chronicals ps4 remake as killer ape!

[CONSOLE] HAS NO GAMEZ GUYS LOLOLOL

Turning AusGaf into AusGamefaqs one post at a time.

Fredescu

Lol, you even said line-out in your post and I just totally missed it. I bet that was annoying! Haven't you got a laptop or do you want something more pocketable? What about one of those snazzy new iPad compatible soundcards? Something like this with the CCk would be sweet:

www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1248

While we're talking recording pickups, I bought one of these just last week:

It's mostly to replace an old M-Audio Delta 66 (PCI) I've had forever. I wanted something to use on my laptop that had mic pres that had enough inputs to record shed jams and this one seemed pretty good for the money ($329 locally).

Danoss

Nice one. I have some similar Zoom ones for recording sounds. Sure beats lugging around a DAT recorder. The nice ones also act as a USB sound card so you can use a PC to record the mike. Don't discount the built in mike being useful. You can also mount them on a camera tripod (which, I would assume you have, Danoss) to get a better mike position (at least you can with the Zoom ones).

The Zoom H4n was certainly an attractive unit, but the extra features just weren't worth $100 to me. That extra money went into a couple of accessories to go along with it (short XLR cables, SD card, tabletop tripod (pictured), a windscreen) and even postage.

Acting as a USB soundcard is pretty sweet, the DR-40 doesn't do that, but the H4n does. I already have a MOTU firewire interface to do that at home, so it wasn't necessary. Totally worth the extra if I didn't. The H4n can also record from a 3.5mm jack, so if you want to be a sneaky smartarse and record calls on your mobile via this method using hands-free, you totally can.

I've tested the built in mics and they're quite good (sound sample). They absolutely need a windscreen because talking anywhere near the mic creates wind noise. I'm not talking about P popping, but just gentle breath is enough to set it off. The windscreen cuts that out completely, of course.

And is it any good?

I got mine from B&H Photo. I got it for $142, but it seems to have crept up to $155 which is still less than what it usually is at just under $200. I got the unit, a windscreen, 16GB SD card, pocket tripod and 2 short XLR cables and postage for $254.18 including the banks conversion fee.

For what I want to use it for, I think it's great. If you don't need the bells and whistles the Zoom H4n has, then it's great value for money. The sound sample above is just using the built in mics with a quick and dirt compressor thrown in which would have upped the noise floor a bit. It has line level input and can record 2 of them up to 24-bit/96kHz. The only specs I have seen for line level input are; Nominal input level: +4dBu, Maximum input level: +20dBu. I'm not sure if that helps, I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

Damn you Danoss! I bought two recorders last year, stop making me want to buy a new one.
I do think I need a mic for mine. It's not really a broadcast quality recorder but I'm pretty sure I could up it from useless turd with a decent mic for scrums. Which I rarely to ever go to, but still.

Haha, sorry! Maybe grab it or something like it and perhaps an Audio-Technica AT2035. They're a nice mic and they come with a shock mount too, which is nice.

Edit: I just re-read your post and that mic probably isn't what you're after, being side-address and all. Is a scrum like when the press crowd around players and coaches in those weekly NRL club interview things, shoving mics in their face? If it is, there are plenty of reasonably cheap ones that will do the job for you in those situations. I've seen plenty of people use iPhones in those, even something like the Rode iXY might do the trick if you have one.

It's mostly to replace an old M-Audio Delta 66 (PCI) I've had forever. I wanted something to use on my laptop that had mic pres that had enough inputs to record shed jams and this one seemed pretty good for the money ($329 locally).

Nice one dude! Looks like a good price for it too.

I was looking at downgrading to something like that. More specifically the MOTU 4pre. I'm currently running the MOTU UltraLite mk3, but not the hybrid one, so FireWire only. I'd miss the DSPs from the Ultralite if I did, even though I don't use half of what it can do, it's a shame the 4pre doesn't have them.

Fusebox

Banned

Lovely, Focusrite make terrific stuff. I have the Pro 40 in my rack at home.

Yours should even work with the iPad CCk too I think for a nice portable rig.

Rahk

Did you people see Atelier Totori Plus remake for VITA was rated R18+ in Australia?
The original on PS3 was PG. Seems like the ratings board is already starting to shoehorn games into the R18 category.

From this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47966990&postcount=1

Direct Link to rating:
http://www.classification.gov.au/Pa...ETSlfSwMX%2fuX2dGQo1zkGNqawLmVA0tWHsHBG9lWpXU
It has new content so maybe they've added something that justifies the rating. It states high impact violence and references to sexual violence.

Theres a song about 100 problems this guy has and he has to over come them with a series of trials.
So it's a song about Odysseus? How does that relate to the Vita? Are you saying that the Vita will overcome a series of trials and become locked in a deadly battle with the 3DS until the hand of god comes in and persuades them to give up their vendetta and creates a handheld peace between Sony and Nintendo?

If so, that's pretty cool.

Haha, sorry! Maybe grab it or something like it and perhaps an Audio-Technica AT2035. They're a nice mic and they come with a shock mount too, which is nice.

Edit: I just re-read your post and that mic probably isn't what you're after, being side-address and all. Is a scrum like when the press crowd around players and coaches in those weekly NRL club interview things, shoving mics in their face? If it is, there are plenty of reasonably cheap ones that will do the job for you in those situations. I've seen plenty of people use iPhones in those, even something like the Rode iXY might do the trick if you have one.

Yeah like a post game media scrum stuff (I got a Reds media pass. Seriously life complete).

But I am thinking of starting a podcast thing with a mate (getting some multi-media stuff in the portfolio seems in light of the state of print media) so I do need a proper mic for that. And a mixer I guess. Goddamn money

previously anything even remotely related to sexual violence was instant RC, i believe it was part of the actual description of what RC includes. Will be interesting to see just what the references are.

Deeku

Danoss

Yeah like a post game media scrum stuff (I got a Reds media pass. Seriously life complete).

But I am thinking of starting a podcast thing with a mate (getting some multi-media stuff in the portfolio seems in light of the state of print media) so I do need a proper mic for that. And a mixer I guess. Goddamn money

That's a pretty great man, good on you.

For podcasts, I think the AT2035s mics I mentioned earlier would be a great choice. Put them on a couple of desktop stands (or studio arms if you're feeling fancy) and that'd be fine. They're much cheaper if you import, though not many places will ship them here because Audio-Technica are jerks like that (I found a place that I'm testing out).

If you don't want to spend too much on a mixer, one of the portable units like I just bought would certainly do the trick. You can take it to the scrums with you as well as using it for podcast recording, making it probably the more sensible purchase if you want to save money. Otherwise there are some neat interfaces like the MOTU 4pre (USB/FW), PreSonus AudioBox (USB) or FireStudio (FW) and many others (I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me could chip in and recommend stuff) that will use your computer for the mixing desk and recording medium.

BTW, if anyone here can use a Rode Procaster, let me know. I bought one before I had any idea what I was doing. It's a dynamic mic and I needed a condenser. Used once, then put back into the box.

markot

Banned
429 for wii u premium and zombie u!?

Orrrrr wait for Monster hunter 3 pack which has monster hunter + pad pro for 488?>

Hmm, Does the monster hunter pack come with nintendo land?

Danoss

Need to put some ratings on there man!

Also: jelly.

I'll have to get on that. I didn't realise until just now that they have a guide for what constitutes each score. I like when places do that, so it's less arbitrary.

I'm jelly that you have someone that's often up for board games. My gaming group has gotten so flaky, it's beyond irritating. They're mostly play Warmachine/Hordes currently which I cannot stand. Too many of those games you see haven't been played even once. :(

Omikron

I'll have to get on that. I didn't realise until just now that they have a guide for what constitutes each score. I like when places do that, so it's less arbitrary.

I'm jelly that you have someone that's often up for board games. My gaming group has gotten so flaky, it's beyond irritating. They're mostly play Warmachine/Hordes currently which I cannot stand. Too many of those games you see haven't been played even once. :(

Damn. I wish I had a board game group, but I imagine it would get difficult if the majority get stuck onto one game or whatever as you have experienced.

Also, they have a guide for scores? Need to find this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom