• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Danoss, You're a pro speaker guy. What is this in the picture and any idea what caused it? I'm guessing just manufacturing defect.

http://i.imgur.com/EdC037J.jpg

It's an amazing quality picture ... But at the top speaker thingy, there's lots of little dots on the, what i imagine to be, soft material.

Clearly I know my speaker terminology, My geek cred has dropped 10000 points.

I'm guessing I will need to take it back to the store. No major issues with it though sound wise, there has been a few small hiccups but I get the feeling that's because of the mp3s in question.

It's hard to tell with that picture as the tweeter (the name of that type of speaker which emits high frequency sounds) is somewhat out of focus.

If I was to hazard a guess, it would be that there is dust, dirt or fungus in the grill. Dust, dirt and grime there is quite harmless as the grill is there to catch that. If it is fungus, it shouldn't be, it's usually a greeny-brown colour and indicates there has been moisture there at some point, which is not good.

If it's brand new, you're well within your rights to take it back with some "what the fuck is this shit, it's supposed to be new" questions.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It's hard to tell with that picture as the tweeter (the name of that type of speaker which emits high frequency sounds) is somewhat out of focus.

If I was to hazard a guess, it would be that there is dust, dirt or fungus in the grill. Dust, dirt and grime there is quite harmless as the grill is there to catch that. If it is fungus, it shouldn't be, it's usually a greeny-brown colour and indicates there has been moisture there at some point, which is not good.

If it's brand new, you're well within your rights to take it back with some "what the fuck is this shit, it's supposed to be new" questions.

Yea there's no light around to give me a better shot. It's certainly on the tweeter itself and not the grill.

Guess I will have to give them a call and take the speaker back. Boourns.

Danoss

Yea there's no light around to give me a better shot. It's certainly on the tweeter itself and not the grill.

Guess I will have to give them a call and take the speaker back. Boourns.

Yeah, it sounds like physical damage to the tweeter or some sort of residue or markings.

Definitely take it back to the shop and get them swapped over. Don't take 'no' for an answer.

tumbleweed.gif

This place is crazy today

teekun

Holy shit I want to throttle half the people in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516730

I love indie games, but man have they really warped peoples perceptions of what it actually costs to develop software (games and otherwise) in a professional studio. Being "indie" doesn't only mean one or two smelly dudes living in a darkened one-room apartment living off of next to nothing.

Danoss

People quickly forget that the people making such projects have to make ends meet. The cost of rent, food, power and water is just the beginning. That alone is not cheap.

Are people expecting video game sweatshops too? It sure seems that way.

teekun

It just blows my mind that nobody can do the simple maths of what it costs for 8 in-house developers to work on a project for a couple of months. The fact that they're doing that, plus outsourcing a bunch of shit they can't do themselves, all for 150k is actually pretty cheap.

I suppose when you're an unemployed teenager that can seem like an astronomical amount of money, but for fucks sake I wish they'd stop pretending like they know what they're talking about when it's so clear that they don't.

Holy shit I want to throttle half the people in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516730

I love indie games, but man have they really warped peoples perceptions of what it actually costs to develop software (games and otherwise) in a professional studio. Being "indie" doesn't only mean one or two smelly dudes living in a darkened one-room apartment living off of next to nothing.

It's insane isn't it? I think they all think this is still the 80s. In fact that sums up GAF pretty well these days

Omikron

TBH, I think 150k is pretty damn cheap for that sort of change, especially considering ~30k or so is going to rewards / indiegogo.

teekun

It's insane isn't it? I think they all think this is still the 80s. In fact that sums up GAF pretty well these days

I'm not even sure it's a mentality of it being the 80's still. I think so many indie devs have made fantastic games while either living in poverty or doing it in addition to a day job that the perception of independently developing games has been warped. I mean, if you can live like that and make great games, that's fantastic, but a game like Skullgirls isn't going to come out of that sort of situation.

I know I'm being a whiny bitch about it, but... I dunno.
Nope, you are totally justified to vent about that kind of stuff. Otherwise it just gets you down. You are more tolerant than I ever would be.

Baby wipes. Baby wipes are the solution.
See, this man is wise. Wise beyond his mortal years.

Whoever invented baby wipes deserves a Nobel peace prize.

Are they still okay to use on babies, or has the backlash against man made products hit them too?

Man, Gaming is nigh on insufferable at the moment. But I can't help but read all the fanboy laden threads
ZE CONSOLES ARE LAUNCHING!!! RERELEASE THE FANBOIS!

Yeah that was mindblowing.

Do you work for a company? If so you should understand how much fucking money it costs to get shit done.

teekun

Yeah that was mindblowing.

Do you work for a company? If so you should understand how much fucking money it costs to get shit done.

The best part is that every time some ignorant shit is given a breakdown of how much time and effort is required, the response is along the lines of: "well then they should really re-examine how to do things more efficiently."

hamchan

Finished Metal Gear Rising. Timer says 4:20.

The last boss is the most anti-American thing i have ever seen in a video game. :D

Game is amazing. Gonna replay it right now.

Jintor

Mine said 3:52 or something, lol. Either I died a lot, spent a lot of time in codec calls or I watched a hell of a lot of cutscenes because I reckon I spent around 8 hours on normal there

jambo

TBH, I think 150k is pretty damn cheap for that sort of change, especially considering ~30k or so is going to rewards / indiegogo.

But omi:

My company uses a room the size of a walk-in closet, a moderate metal microphone, a screen in front of that microphone, and a small 1'x1'x1' box made out of cut out egg-crate foam. Total cost? Less than 100 dollars on Amazon. Voice quality? Just as good as any other thing you'll hear in a video game. You really do not need to rent a studio if you just use some elbow grease.

Jintor

But that would still indicate 4:30 of actual gameplay (outside of cutscenes, etc), right?

4:30 of best time run gameplay. I suspect closer to around 6-7 hours, and even then, that's only a first run. For someone who likes action games, I doubt they would be playing Rising once on normal. When I get some more time I'm going to dive back in on hard, but I need a break first.

Only gameplay sections where you didn't die before getting to the next checkpoint. So effectively your best run at all the sections.
Ehhhh, I guess that's better. But still... that's a little bit disappointing.

But omi:
My company uses a room the size of a walk-in closet, a moderate metal microphone, a screen in front of that microphone, and a small 1'x1'x1' box made out of cut out egg-crate foam. Total cost? Less than 100 dollars on Amazon. Voice quality? Just as good as any other thing you'll hear in a video game. You really do not need to rent a studio if you just use some elbow grease.
The acoustic properties of elbow grease have been overlooked for years. It's great to see it finally getting the recognition it deserves.

So she knows how much gouging goes on in the industry. Charge $4000 for $3 of elbow grease and 10 mins of recording time captured by a webcam from Dick Smiths.

jambo

So she knows how much gouging goes on in the industry. Charge $4000 for $3 of elbow grease and 10 mins of recording time captured by a webcam from Dick Smiths.

Dick Smiths? What are you, some fucking elitist?

MSY man, $5 webcams. I could save the gaming industry millions!

teekun

Ehhhh, I guess that's better. But still... that's a little bit disappointing.

It's a Platinum game. Vanquish and Bayonetta are both about the same, aren't they? I mean, if you strip out all your deaths and retries. Not saying that's a justification for everyone, it's just how they build games. They're designed to be replayed for faster clear times.

wonzo

Banned

The worst thing about that thread are the posters taking their issues with AAA budgets and using that to throw this ridiculous amount of scepticism on one of the most transparent and upfront crowdsourcing projects I've seen. I just don't get it.

Dick Smiths? What are you, some fucking elitist?

MSY man, $5 webcams. I could save the gaming industry millions!
No, it's just that Dick Smith's have a better returns policy. I always take the webcam back for a refund after I've finished recording.

It's a Platinum game. Vanquish and Bayonetta are both about the same, aren't they? I mean, if you strip out all your deaths and retries. Not saying that's a justification for everyone, it's just how they build games. They're designed to be replayed for faster clear times.
You're probably right. I thought they were longer but I suck most heartily at them, so that probably accounts for the time.

teekun

You're probably right. I thought they were longer but I suck most heartily at them, so that probably accounts for the time.

I was the same with Vanquish. I think it took me 2 straight hours of playing that first boss before the game finally clicked and I could get past it.

Omikron

Trackmania 2: Canyon can be activated on Steam for those that own it. :)

We should have an AusGAF session. Sorry, we will have an AusGAF session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom