• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Alumni. I'm a software developer.
I work in Hobart, where I browse GAF and eat too much food. Fun times.

So, who are these elusive TasGAF members? Roll call?

Omi is oldschool Tasmanian who abandoned us.
Rezbit is either currently or has just left Tassie. Forget which.
Randomrosso goes to UTas.
DeafMutes is some guy I dunno
I'm all up in this shit.

And there's always one or two other wildcards out there.

Kritz

Banned
So, it was a pretty boring night. Me and about five friends decided to bring our computers over to a friend's house. We weren't allowed to set up in the house itself, though, as his uncle was known for being, um, less than accommodating. So we set up in this little outdoor thing that had been built as a hobby kinda thing. Had a kitchen, bathroom, an area that was neither of those two things, and above everything were some beds locked behind a cage, about 2.5-3 metres off the ground. Thing only fit two people at best, and at that you needed to go outside to fetch a rickety wooden ladder to be able to climb up there.

We set up some tables in the 5x5 space we had to work with, got our computers going, made the entire place a tripping hazard with cables, and that was that.

Shit, we need to eat. Drive down to la bellas. Order three pizzas between us. A vegetarian pizza for the pacifist, a cheese pizza for the passive aggressive, and a BBQ chicken for the humans. Drive back, eat pizzas, play some Battlefield 2. Start feeling not so good. At first, just stomach ache. I can handle it. Then, the ache moves a bit lower down. I take a drink of water... still not feeling great. Decide, hell, it's 11pm now, I could probably sleep if I had to.

OH GOD IF I DON'T USE A TOILET RIGHT NOW I'M GOING TO SPRAY A FOUNTAIN OF SHIT ALL OVER MYSELF.

Five of my closest friends, stuck in a tiny shack, separated by half an inch of wood, getting to listen to what the inside of my body sounds like when it collapses on itself. The hard, musky waft of La Bella BBQ chicken engulfs us all, forever. Then we played some Halo ODST coop.

Danoss

One use of headphones is to cover up such unpleasant sounds. Or amusing sounds, depending on how you look at it.

1 out of every 3 pizzas has that affect me. I don't know what it is, but I've had to stop eating them because of it. Stabbing pains in my intestines started to get old real quick.

Farts are always funny though. I've heard one that may have perfectly resonated with the frequency of the porcelain, resulting in a bass-like effect, radiating a low frequency sound in all directions.

I have spent the day at work listening to the Hotline Miami soundtrack. It has been excellent.

On the other hand I've had a day where people haven't been returning my calls. Less excellent. Made even more annoying by the fact this one guy doesn't have a message bank just a "Hmmmm, it seems the person you are trying to call....." blah blah smug message.

Danoss

Maybe the cheese?

If it's a little off maybe. I'm not lactose intolerant or anything, I love cheese, maybe a little too much.

I did get food poisoning from Pizza Hut once, must've been some rancid meat or something. Serves me right for ordering Pizza Hut, though they were the only place still open when I was hungry.

It's Coles' version of 'craft' beer, just like the Sail & Anchor or whatever brand is the Woolworths one.

It's just as dull a beer as you could find anywhere. It's not even interesting as an accidental mistake, it's just cheap rubbish.

Better off buying that Swedish Kiss beer. Really. It's cheaper and actually tastes better.

It's Coles' version of 'craft' beer, just like the Sail & Anchor or whatever brand is the Woolworths one.

It's just as dull a beer as you could find anywhere. It's not even interesting as an accidental mistake, it's just cheap rubbish.

Better off buying that Swedish Kiss beer. Really. It's cheaper and actually tastes better.

What is the price like? Would hope it is under $30 a slab.

They're $3.90 for a single. Better off buying something from Bridge Rd, Feral, Stone & Wood, Moon Dog for the same price... those guys actually give a shit about making great beer.

Omni

Bought an iPad Mini today. Was gonna get a Surface but only had $650 and the guys at Harvey Norman wouldn't knock any off the price (apparently they don't make enough money on them to do so...)

Thought that was interesting.

Dead Man

Oettinger makes me gassy, not quite cheap enough for the discomfort and taste.

Also haven't had Rosella in years. Aldi tomato sauce is where it's at.

For the price it's not bad. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum had some beez neez other night, wasn't too bad. Still rather fat yak out of the two though.

I cant stand their tomato sauce.

I don't like their sauce either, Beerenberg is where it's at:

bbHotTomatoSauce.jpg

Still sad to see.

Had a fat yak today, quality continues to drop.

That makes me quite sad. I need a new go to beer I think. Might be back to the Coopers for me.

Bought an iPad Mini today. Was gonna get a Surface but only had $650 and the guys at Harvey Norman wouldn't knock any off the price (apparently they don't make enough money on them to do so...)

Thought that was interesting.
Probably because Microsoft aren't interested in pushing it with some good deals for retailers.

That makes me quite sad. I need a new go to beer I think. Might be back to the Coopers for me.

Yeah Coopers Pale Ale is my ole standard beer. Always solid and tasty.

Had a fat yak today, quality continues to drop.
I hadn't had one for a couple of years until last week (hey Holy!) and it tasted pretty much how I remembered. I presume you're just drinking better stuff.

Then again if you drink it enough maybe it had been dropping in quality.

Also, how the hell did I get 0 points for those farmers in Carcarssonne?!

Dead Man

Coopers isn't much to talk about either. My go to beer for a few months now has been Red Trolley Ale. 5.8% and full of lovely caramel malts.

Coopers is awesome because it is available everywhere here. A go to beer needs availability, otherwise you can't go to it when there is nothing better/more interesting.

I think I will need to try that Red Trolley though.

Omikron

I hadn't had one for a couple of years until last week (hey Holy!) and it tasted pretty much how I remembered. I presume you're just drinking better stuff.

Then again if you drink it enough maybe it had been dropping in quality.

Also, how the hell did I get 0 points for those farmers in Carcarssonne?!
Could be all of the above really. :/

As for carcassonne, I had 3 farmers to your 2... Sorry :(

As got carcassonne, I had 3 farmers to your 2... Sorry :(
Oh so most farmers in an area gets the points to themselves? Noted!

Listened to a podcast recently with a brewer from Stone in the US (popular craft brewer) who had previously been with Annheiser Bush (Budweiser IIRC) and it's really interesting how a big brewer designs beers to be consistent on a massive scale vs a small brewer. Big places usually put dozens of hop varieties in, so if there's a shortage people won't notice. If you're dependent on one variety and there's no yield that year, you're screwed. The flipside is that the taste is usually not as unique.

You should all try a Tripel Karmaliet.
Got a St Bernadus Abt 12 (about the closest to a Westvleteren XII you'll find in Australia for under $30) and a Saison Dupont (considering trying to harvest the yeast from this bad boy, but probably won't) last week. Super excited for both.

With regards changing beer tastes, when Chuck Hahn released his first beer in the 80s it was apparently a pretty faithful pilsner, but Australians hated it so they changed it to what we know it as. I believe he's on a mission to release his original beer somewhere.

Kritz

Banned
Damn my new avatar looks bad, I keep forgetting Gaf has avatar boarders now :/

what? Not on firefox and chrome they don't. However your avatar IS noticeably scaled down, with way too much aliasing. >_>

... nobody here works for a chinese restaurant in north hobart do they. If you do, I am free to continue talking about antichamber.

Jintor

Despite having met some of you in person I still keep visualising you as your avatars

except for Rahk who I visualise as fred bonaparte from psychonauts

Omi is oldschool Tasmanian who abandoned us.
Rezbit is either currently or has just left Tassie. Forget which.
Randomrosso goes to UTas.
DeafMutes is some guy I dunno
I'm all up in this shit.

And there's always one or two other wildcards out there.

Tassie here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom