• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happen to like it.
You're awful. Even if it does create opportunities to wear rad coats. I want to be warm and toasty when I step into a classroom.
Incidentally, that paper you generously came and watched me stumblingly deliver is finally getting published, it seems.
Ooh, Congrats! I quite enjoyed it. Again, I'm really sorry if I threw you off>< how's the main research going, by the way?

It weirds me out for some reason that there are fellow UQers on neogaf.

I'm enjoying the rain. It has given me an excuse to bail on going out tonight, which means I can catch up on work & summer internship applications & everything else going on in my life at the moment. (Who am I kidding, I'll just spend the whole night watching youtube videos).
Yeah! There are like 4 or 5 of us, plus ex-uq students. It's kinda cool really. Might I enquire as to your field of study? :D

isoquant

Yeah! There are like 4 or 5 of us, plus ex-uq students. It's kinda cool really. Might I enquire as to your field of study? :D

I'm reluctant to post it here because I enjoy my anonymity on this forum haha. Though I am pretty curious to find out if I have / have had any courses with people here...

Addicted to this song at the moment!

There's been a few over the past 12 - 18 months from memory.

I'm sure another one could be organised by the usuals if there was interest.

I'm keen. Before uni gets busy again would be a good time. We could do the mana bar, though there's not really any good places to sit...

I'm reluctant to post it here because I enjoy my anonymity on this forum haha. Though I am pretty curious to find out if I have / have had any courses with people here...

Oh, my apologies >< I don't really think about things before I type them..

Addicted to this song at the moment!

The first thing I thought was "oh hey its that one guy's avatar". I need to spend less time here :/

Deeku

i'm gonna take a stab at economics since an isoquant is a micro thing.

and because usernames say everything about the user!

Holy Shit! Someone announced a WiiU game! Someone check hell!

Also the expectation is that it will be a rushed mess. Yearly fucking titles. Arseholes. JUST MAKE IT POLISHED BEFORE PLOPPING A RELEASE DATE DOWN FFS.

EDIT: Hmmph, video taken down? It was for AssCreed4. Releasing this October. PS3/PS4/WiiU/360 (also said it as next-gen platforms so you would expect Durango too).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Put in an order for a GTX 670. Should be sent off Monday, unless PC Case Gear's online stock tally doesn't live update and they're actually all gone. Grabbed the Galaxy GTX 670 for $379.

Will be looking to sell my GTX 570 afterwards. Where's the best place to hock it off? I guess I could try Gumtree.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How much are you going to try and sell the 570 for?

Cheapest I can find on staticICE is an ex-demo 570 for $215, then a new one for $226. I'd be happy to part for something like $150. Its an MSI GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Overclocked, purchased 18/03/2011. For most of it's life I've ran it with a shaped fan threshold so it kicked in higher, earlier to keep the card cool.

I'm keen. Before uni gets busy again would be a good time. We could do the mana bar, though there's not really any good places to sit...
Archive?

I'm massively hungover at work and the internet isn't working. I've resorted to mobile GAF. How am I meant to watch YouTube? Do they expect me to actually work?

Omni

Really enjoying Tomb Raider so far... Played a lot yesterday. Should probably break it up a bit so I don't finish it so quickly (given that multiplayer is so, so, so terrible)

Salazar

Hmm what stuff do you research (and write about) Salazar?

Well, basically, the argument is that periodical criticism and reviewing of scholarship and literature are susceptible to having a kind of family-photo relationship to the actual character of those discourses and disciplines. It's not controversial to insist that the production of meaning in any field is (and can't be moved away from) social action. And reviewing (especially anonymous reviewing - which matters for the journal I'm looking at) is, or can be, a fairly limited social action. So what one would tend to do, if one were interested, is to look for sites that involve the deployment of knowledge/taste/the rest of critical stuff in a context of significant, sustained, varied sociability. And what you come up with is the letters to the editor section. Which has a pretty bad cultural reputation, and a fairly deserved one, but there are intellectual magazines in which they matter, are interesting, and all the rest of it. And the letter to the editor is a sharply circumscribed, reciprocity-minded social unit. It's about as close as material print culture gets to a kind of open, participatory sociability (that we associate with Enlightenment ideologies of egalitarian knowledge-formation, and pre-Enlightenment Republic of Letters humanists firing witty, acutely learned letters to each other all over Europe). What I'm looking at are the tendencies (the strategies, the effects, the historical changes and deliberate editorial moves) involved in a section of correspondence over the course of the 20th century, more or less. How arguments tend to run, how anonymity and celebrity matter or don't, the extent to which social virtues in life are different or redundant or much more important than usual in terms of academic discussion, how people try to be funny or mean or nice, what seems to work and what seems to fail. How you talk about slippery things like taste in a domain devoted to rationalistic determination of stuff.

That's the area, in any case.

GAF is one big Letters to the Editor.

But with banhammers. For the better. No financial agendas here either, aside from our own disposable income of course.

Salazar

u can freely edit your own GAF posts, tho. That's what gives letters that people have obviously composed and sent off too hastily their frisson, their embarrassing social glow.

Yeah no Killing Floor for me, never been cheaper than $6.66

u can freely edit your own GAF posts, tho. That's what gives letters that people have obviously composed and sent off too hastily their frisson, their embarrassing social glow.

Mods can see the original post and re-edit it in which is nice!

EatChildren

How was soundwave? Any good this year or just so so ?

My mate was disappointed in Slayer. Said the mixing was a bit weak, and seeing Slayer perform mid afternoon in the glaring sun just didn't make for good atmosphere. His picks were Metallica and A Perfect Circle. Another mate is a huge Blink fan and was really disappointed by their performance.

Frawdder

I enjoyed it. It was great, for me, to be able to see bands that I used to listen to back in the late 90s, Blink 182 and The Offspring. A Perfect Circle were a class act, solid performance from them. I also saw Red Fang and The Sword on one of the smaller stages and they too were pretty damn good (plus there weren't huge crowds and drunk idiots pushing into you for no reason either).

Oh yeah, turns out cramming 40,000 people into an Adelaide park makes the telephone network shit itself (at least for me it did, thanks Optus) spent a good portion of the day trying to find a couple of people but their delayed messages made it really difficult.

12 months ago it was all rain all the time.
Now fucking nothing! Parched as a whale in heat down here. :/

Not too much rain though thanks.

My mate was disappointed in Slayer. Said the mixing was a bit weak, and seeing Slayer perform mid afternoon in the glaring sun just didn't make for good atmosphere. His picks were Metallica and A Perfect Circle. Another mate is a huge Blink fan and was really disappointed by their performance.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOMBARDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How about if Brisgaf doesn't meet at the Mana Bar because that place is small and
really fucking lamesauce.
It does have really neat drinks though. They taste amazing and are decentishly priced. It also feels gaf appropriate :p
It was the beeeeeerest.
I've never heard of it but from the website it seems good!

The Mana Bar is like all those people you try to avoid at SupaNova cramped up into a really small room with only 3 games to play and remixes of meme songs playing over the speaker system with 35 year olds giggling like children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom