• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must've been a US west coast IPA. They can't get enough hops. But I tend to agree. Hopdog's C-Bomb which I had recently is pretty bitter but still quite good.
I don't remember the exact brand, but it was from New Zealand and came with a goblet. It tasted good going down, but that aftertaste...

Holy shit, what the hell money bags Bernbaum! I would have to sell my first born to have a few beers in there :/
The cheapest beers start at around $10 or so. Because I rarely drink and when I do, I have just one, I decided to lash out and get some top-shelf stuff. It's not like I do it every weekend.

Also, the bottle was HUGE and the alcohol concentration was pretty high as well. It was like two beers in one.

Hey what are some IPA's that are actually brewed and imported from India? Coz I love IPA and it would be cool to try the OG taste.
IPAs were originally brewed in England for the men of the East India Company (hence the name). The reason they're so hoppy is so that it'd still be good when they arrived at their destination.

Weird thing is that they seem to be more popular in America than anywhere else.

Hey what are some IPA's that are actually brewed and imported from India? Coz I love IPA and it would be cool to try the OG taste.
The general consensus* is that IPAs are your basic pale ale (the generic British ale) that were more heavily hopped to withstand the trip from the UK to India. The extra hops acted as an antiseptic. Officers in the British armed forces began to like the taste (IPAs are pretty thirst quenching in the heat!) and so they became more popular back in the UK. The 'original' IPA is essentially a hoppy pale ale. US brewers take that WAY further due to the US market's preference for more aggressively hopped beer.

* Like all history, there's disagreement. Another take I heard the other day is that 'inventor' of the IPA just added more hops to differentiate his beer from competitors and it just so happened to survive the trip better and have a popular taste, but it wasn't targeted at the Indian market in the first place. Unfortunately logs from this brewer were destroyed so there's no evidence either way...

XBL Games on Demand sale

Fallout 3, 320 allards ($5)

Max Payne 3 for 320 allards ($5)

Metal Gear Solid 2&3 for 600 allards ($10)

Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker for 320 allards ($5)

Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 1, Half Life 2 Episode 2, Portal & Team Fortress 2 (OG Version) for 600 allards ($10)

Civ Revolution for 600 allards ($10)

Picked up CivRev (awesome awesome adaption of the series), MGS 2,3 & PW, Max Payne 3 and thinking about grabbing Fallout 3 (can't recall if my mate has the GOTY which I could just grab).

Stupidly cheap prices, especially if you can get $1:100 allard cards from eBay.

Some decent deals. Pity the eBay seller I usually buy points has raised his prices.

Bring on the fighting games sale.

Yeah my seller has bumped the 4000 allard codes up to $45, they can vary hour to hour though so I'm holding out!

IPAs were originally brewed in England for the men of the East India Company (hence the name). The reason they're so hoppy is so that it'd still be good when they arrived at their destination.
The general consensus* is that IPAs are your basic pale ale (the generic British ale) that were more heavily hopped to withstand the trip from the UK to India. The extra hops acted as an antiseptic. Officers in the British armed forces began to like the taste (IPAs are pretty thirst quenching in the heat!) and so they became more popular back in the UK. The 'original' IPA is essentially a hoppy pale ale. US brewers take that WAY further due to the US market's preference for more aggressively hopped beer.

Thanks chaps! Does this mean I should pour some paprika into some Coopers Pale Ale?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GTX 670 shipped. <3 PCCG. Fingers crossed it arrives safely. I've finished my backup so I can do a clean format tomorrow. Now to sell the GTX 570.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Now you too can endure the torture of PW.

jambo

I only got PW because I had 330 points left over and it was 320.

I've only ever played MGS4 and whilst I enjoyed some parts of it, the endless cutscenes were a bit much to handle. Plus I had to wiki a lot of stuff to work out what was going on haha.

Hopefully now I can get a better idea of the series by playing 2, 3 and PW.

Is there any way to get 1 in HD on 360 or PS3?

EatChildren

I cannot imagine the horror of only playing MGS4. That's madness. You're insane.

MGS1 is up on PSN's PS1 classics, but it's not HD I don't think. You used to be able to get it on PC. If you've got a beefy system you could always emulate Twin Snakes. Either way, you should definitely watch or read a thorough recap of the first game before you get stuck into the series. It's pretty integral to the lore, especially in the sequels.

There is no HD MGS. Twin Snakes on Gamecube is a minor reworking of it with some updated graphics by Silicon Knights.

MGS on PSOne still holds up okay, I assume it would look pretty nice on Vita too.

Mortal Kombat Vs. DCU is 320 allards ($5) here, was it any good?

jambo

I cannot imagine the horror of only playing MGS4. That's madness. You're insane.

It was pretty hilarious to be honest. Some of the characters just seem stupid, breaking serious moments with weird humour. And there were just people popping up all over the place. Fanservice I'm assuming.

Oh and, nanomachines.

The reason I only played 4 was that we got a PS3 in early 2008 and it was my first PlayStation. It's the 40GB model with no BC, so I grabbed a few games over the next few months and one of those games was MGS4.

teekun

There is no HD MGS. Twin Snakes on Gamecube is a minor reworking of it with some updated graphics by Silicon Knights.

I'd call Twin Snakes way more than a "minor" reworking. It takes the basic overall script and map layout, but then applies it to MGS2's gameplay.

I'd much rather play the origina PS1 game over it anyday, though. They hired Ryuhei Kitamura to do the cutscenes which means action choreography so over the top that you just end up laughing until you're bored and wish they would stop flipping around and kicking missiles and shit.

I'd call Twin Snakes way more than a "minor" reworking. It takes the basic overall script and map layout, but then applies it to MGS2's gameplay.

I'd much rather play the origina PS1 game over it anyday, though. They hired Ryuhei Kitamura to do the cutscenes which means action choreography so over the top that you just end up laughing until you're bored and wish they would stop flipping around and kicking missiles and shit.

Yeah I meant more of a dolling up rather than a proper remake, it just feels a little off with the MGS2 system.

The awesome cutscenes can be experienced on the internet thankfully :)

(and now I am concerned where I left my copy, hopefully it's in storage)

I find the recent spate of bad Wii U news to be disconcerting in a way that it really shouldn't be, I think because I have already made the decision to purchase one for Zelda, if not for the release of Wind Waker HD, then definitely for the release of Zelda U. Possibly X, too.

I want other stuff on the system to be excited about, however, and be able to justify keeping the system rather than buy it, play the two-to-five games I wanted, then sell it on for its residual value like I did for the PSP. That feels almost wasteful.

Maybe I'll buy one second-hand like I did with the Wii.

I find the recent spate of bad Wii U news to be disconcerting in a way that it really shouldn't be, I think because I have already made the decision to purchase one for Zelda, if not for the release of Wind Waker HD, then definitely for the release of Zelda U. Possibly X, too.

I want other stuff on the system to be excited about, however, and be able to justify keeping the system rather than buy it, play the two-to-five games I wanted, then sell it on for its residual value like I did for the PSP. That feels almost wasteful.

Maybe I'll buy one second-hand like I did with the Wii.

Assassin's Creed 4 is coming out on it!

Also Rayman Legends!

Pikmin/Zelda aren't out yet so at least you don't need to make a decision yet.

EatChildren

By the end of a generation I've been happy with every Nintendo system I've owned, because I think when the curtain falls there's always a software library of very high quality. The issue is consistency and release spacing, which makes the journey of having the system from the start soul crushing.

The system might as well not exist, as far as I'm concerned. It hasn't launched yet. Because as much as I enjoyed ZombiU (a lot) and NSMBU, it's now sitting there unplayed. I'd be playing Rayman, but...you know.

I just want The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 :<.

jambo

I played a bit of ZombiiU and while I found the asymmetric multiplayer to be fun, the player movement and controls felt like shit.

But then I had been playing a bunch of L4D2 on PC, so I was probably used to the high speed and precision of the mouse...

Dead Man

* Like all history, there's disagreement. Another take I heard the other day is that 'inventor' of the IPA just added more hops to differentiate his beer from competitors and it just so happened to survive the trip better and have a popular taste, but it wasn't targeted at the Indian market in the first place. Unfortunately logs from this brewer were destroyed so there's no evidence either way...

I don't know why the US market is so invested in hoppy beer considering their mainstream stuff is weak. Maybe that's why, but it drives me a bit bonkers sometimes when an otherwise fine brew has too many hops. Rogue River Brewery is an offender that springs to mind.

Omikron

I played a bit of ZombiiU and while I found the asymmetric multiplayer to be fun, the player movement and controls felt like shit.

But then I had been playing a bunch of L4D2 on PC, so I was probably used to the high speed and precision of the mouse...

Pointer controls?

it went out at like 5am last night when i assume no one was doing anything
and the first time was like 8 30 in the morning
i think its something my sister is doing as the only thing in common is that she seems to have just woken up when it goes out.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Can someone fill me in on the recent spate of bad Wii U news? I haven't kept up. Sales?

The vita outsold it in Japan.

DOA system baby!

I think most of the news is just sales and maybe what crytek have stated about Nintendos 3rd party support. Plus there seems to be very little news regarding upcoming *good* titles.

It really is, at this stage, Nintendos Vita.

hamchan

Can someone fill me in on the recent spate of bad Wii U news? I haven't kept up. Sales?

Lower sales than Vita in Japan.

Dreadful January NPD sales at 57k, much much lower than the 360, PS3 and Wii have ever done in a single month.

Pretty much no games coming out in the next few months that will help the situation, so sales are expected to drop even lower.

PS4 and 720 coming out the end of the year which we all know will have huge marketing blitzes with millions upon millions of dollars being poured in will not help matters. This was supposed to be Nintendo's free year, their head start, and it appears they have squandered their chance.

jambo

PS4 and 720 coming out the end of the year which we all know will have huge marketing blitzes with millions upon millions of dollars being poured in will not help matters. This was supposed to be Nintendo's free year, their head start, and it appears they have squandered their chance.

They really need to show off some grade A stuff at E3, like HD Zelda, HD Mario and some ambitious new IPs if they want to have any chance of selling Wii U's.

Assassin's Creed 4 is coming out on it!

Also Rayman Legends!

Pikmin/Zelda aren't out yet so at least you don't need to make a decision yet.
I've never played an AC game. Not sure how appealing it is.

Sales. Bad sales mean a bad library, which diminishes the value of the initial purchase.

By the end of a generation I've been happy with every Nintendo system I've owned, because I think when the curtain falls there's always a software library of very high quality. The issue is consistency and release spacing, which makes the journey of having the system from the start soul crushing.

The system might as well not exist, as far as I'm concerned. It hasn't launched yet. Because as much as I enjoyed ZombiU (a lot) and NSMBU, it's now sitting there unplayed. I'd be playing Rayman, but...you know.

I just want The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 :<.
I feel te same way. There's no reason for me to own one yet. I'm all Mario'd out right now and I don't know how well a game like Zombi U would work for me.

The vita outsold it in Japan.

DOA system baby!

I think most of the news is just sales and maybe what crytek have stated about Nintendos 3rd party support. Plus there seems to be very little news regarding upcoming *good* titles.

It really is, at this stage, Nintendos Vita.
Nintendo first party games will make it worth owning in the end, whereas Sony appears to be embarrassed that the Vita even exists.

The great thing about Nintendo systems is that they allow you to explore other interests in the time between releases. I learned every living European language while not playing my Gamecube and am looking forward to taking on Mandarin between Wonderful 101's eventual release and whatever they put out next year.

New ips? Nintendo?
Nintendo release new IPs all the time. For whatever reason, people ignore them, probably because they're often:

1) Spinoffs of existing IP
2) Smaller-scale games
3) Not aimed at the 13 - 35yo male gamer demographic

The Wii_, Dillon, and Blox games, the Xenoblade series, Freaky Forms etc. all exist, but for whatever reason, don't count. Even failures like Disaster get forgotten.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nintendo first party games will make it worth owning in the end, whereas Sony appears to be embarrassed that the Vita even exists.

That's nothing new though and I mean no harm when I say this. That's pretty much the same fucking excuse and reason people say about every damn Nintendo hardware release since like the N64.

A HD zelda, Mario, Metroid, Whatever might be enough for the hardcore crowd but that isn't going to be enough to really sell the amount of units they are after.

The wii was huge in terms of sales because it was really casual. Yes it sold mario titles in millions but still, it wasn't really enough to carry the system on it's own. Like the gamecube, N64 before it.

jambo

Luckily Nintendo have enough cash in the bank to absorb any losses they have over this gen. Hell, they could probably survive two shit generations.

I know you're being a dick, but it's all about balance.
He's got a point, beneath the snark. Gen 8 is looking to be the HD equivalent of the generation the Sega Saturn was designed for.

The Saturn was *great* at 2D sprites. They were colourful and big and well-animated, could be stretched and scaled and you could put a lot on the screen at once. It was the logical successor to the SNES/Megadrive generation and had polygonal 3D not been the new hotness (let's say the tech still had some unsolved problems), it would have done roughly equivalent to what PS4/720/WiiU will do - make the last generation's ideas marginally prettier.

Luckily, 2D sprites' diminishing returns were circumvented by the arrival of hideous 3D, so the effect of having no "hook" in lieu of self-evidently better visuals was never tested.

It will in Gen 8, unless the services are so amazing as to render the past gen obsolete, because by themselves, I don't think the graphics bump will cut it.

That's nothing new though and I mean no harm when I say this. That's pretty much the same fucking excuse and reason people say about every damn Nintendo hardware release since like the N64.

A HD zelda, Mario, Metroid, Whatever might be enough for the hardcore crowd but that isn't going to be enough to really sell the amount of units they are after.

The wii was huge in terms of sales because it was really casual. Yes it sold mario titles in millions but still, it wasn't really enough to carry the system on it's own. Like the gamecube, N64 before it.
Um.. Yeah? That has very little to do with the Vita comparison being hogwash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom