• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yep - feels like I'm really going all in and it's been a great experience so far.. it almost feels like I'm entering a different world where I'm unsure of what's going happen next and so on.;p nightclub party was pretty fun times.. danced with two of the female friends I made earlier, drunk a bit, meet a bunch of people, flirted with a zoology student etc, I'm not so sure if I'm a big fan of night-clubs tho, too much noise, prefer quiet bars for socialization.

Yeah, nightclubs blow. But I'm not really a dancer, and am much more of a conversationalist. Going to the pub, listening to some live music, and chatting over beers/food >>>>>>> gyrating to obnoxiously loud and awful dance music. I can see why people love them, but I don't.

Going to a club is like going to a birthday party you weren't invited to. You know nobody, you can't talk to them because of the loud music and the cake turns out to be fruitcake. The fruitcake then tells you he's an economics major and how Ron Paul is the future, also he thinks reptilians exist. Lots of fruitcakes at clubs...

Dead Man

Yeah, nightclubs blow. But I'm not really a dancer, and am much more of a conversationalist. Going to the pub, listening to some live music, and chatting over beers/food >>>>>>> gyrating to obnoxiously loud and awful dance music. I can see why people love them, but I don't.

Live music tends to be just as obnoxiously loud these days.

/old man

pfff, first years with all their peppiness and enthusiasm, enjoy it while it lasts!

wait till he actually starts uni and isnt just referring to orientation day

also awww wtf
mw2 mp decided to dl today 6 of 12gb
i mean i might aswell finish it now
fuck that though wasting my peak dl and slowing everything else

You just made my morning. That Shetland(?) is swag (and chubby) as fuck.

Wait really? Just in the chair at the dentist? All 4 teeth?

I think it depends on how hard it is to get to them, none of hers are poking up because she has a smallish mouth apparently. On the xray you can see that they are coming in sideways.
If they're impacted they probably won't be able to remove them in the chair :(

The first previews of Assassin's Creed IV make it sound like third person Pirates! with stealth. After the reception to 3, I was out of the series... but this sounds like it could be cool.

Of course, all previews do that, so I'm still pessimistic.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
wait till he actually starts uni and isnt just referring to orientation day
Pretty sure based on my personality I'm being intentionally "ironic" when I do that. I'm already aware orientation week isn't really representative of what uni life is really like (something I like to point out constantly during orientation) although I'm not really the type of person that likes to party non-stop. I'm definitely have a preference towards the more academic stuff that uni is known for, but these social experiences have been definitely a good thing for my self-confidence, which is something I'll need for my chosen career.;p so it's all good!

Kritz

Banned
You'll pull through.

Maybe.

The requirement that Tim and Paris gave us was, "make something cool", which is perhaps the single most daunting requirement ever. I have no doubt I can make cool shit, I just don't know how much free time I will sacrifice to do it. Or how much I will freak out early in development when the thing doesn't look cool and I'm so trapped in the process that I can't see the cool at the end of the tunnel.

/melodramatic

Everytime I see LAX I think you guys are talking about PAX:(
pfff, first years with all their peppiness and enthusiasm, enjoy it while it lasts!
Lol, I think I've become more peppy as the years go by. My first year I was tiny and shy and did dumb things like buy textbooks from co-op bookshop.

Everytime I see LAX I think you guys are talking about PAX:(

Lol, I think I've become more peppy as the years go by. My first year I was tiny and shy and did dumb things like buy textbooks from co-op bookshop.

tumblr_m60otejCV41ro16tz.gif

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
lol @ all the people that don't read textbooks.

never said I didn't read them!

if required, go to library, scan relevant pages.

or scan a few pages, then google book sentences to get the preview of a few pages before and after that page

Omikron

or scan a few pages, then google book sentences to get the preview of a few pages before and after that page

Different people learn in different ways, I prefer actual printed text when learning, especially for making hand written notes and such.

Just reading something tends to go in the eyes and drain out somewhere before reaching any actual storage in my brain.

edit: should also note that plenty of my textbooks at uni had reference tables galore at the back that were invaluable / required. Engineering, yo.

What are you guys, like first years? You wait until someone else answers a question in a tute, stick your hand up, and say the same thing again in your own words. Sit back and do nothing for the remainder of the tute.

I spent most of yesterday playing my $3 copy of Black Ops. I'm actually enjoying it more than the bit of the MWs I've played. Some of the stuff, like the Khe Sahn level (it's like 3 years old surely it doesn't need a spoiler) remind me of CoD 1 and 2 which was rad.

Rezbit

The library was useful except for the fact they never had enough copies of books.

Also, scanning and googling? Fuck that noise, too much effort, I'd rather just plonk down the cash to buy it.

Edit: unless it was over about $40, psych text books were crazy expensive.

Different people learn in different ways, I prefer actual printed text when learning, especially for making hand written notes and such.

Just reading something tends to go in the eyes and drain out somewhere before reaching any actual storage in my brain.

edit: should also note that plenty of my textbooks at uni had reference tables galore at the back that were invaluable / required. Engineering, yo.
I'm the same. And I cant stand reading pdf files on a Pc. The books themselves make good references for future courses, or just good reading. I've also had courses where the lecturer kind of rambled without saying much. I would have been really stuck without the text.
The library was useful except for the fact they never had enough copies of books.

Also, scanning and googling? Fuck that noise, too much effort, I'd rather just plonk down the cash to buy it.
And the people hiring out the copies just camp on them for the whole semester. It's incredibly frustrating. :mad:

I'm the same. And I cant stand reading pdf files on a Pc. The books themselves make good references for future courses, or just good reading.
I much rather learn by doing. Reading is OK, but I find it dull after a while if I'm not putting it into practice.

Looks like TweetDeck v0.38.2 is getting shitcanned when Twitter moves to their v1.1 API, as the older, better TweetDeck software on AIR can only use v1.0 API...
Check out Janetter. I've just switched this morning and it seems pretty good (tried a while back and didn't like it).

Rimfya

Banned
Does anybody have that Nike Kinect game and want $30 for it and want to send it to me now?

I need indoor exercise but I ain't waiting 3 weeks to get it rom the UK.

Holy shit I need a drink.

If they're impacted they probably won't be able to remove them in the chair :(
Yep. Already resigned myself to it.

I really didn't want to have to do it until my son went to school but I pretty much need to find a second job at this point. Just too much money going out in bills to get anywhere.

:(

The first previews of Assassin's Creed IV make it sound like third person Pirates! with stealth. After the reception to 3, I was out of the series... but this sounds like it could be cool.

Of course, all previews do that, so I'm still pessimistic.
seinfeldbackin.gif

Pretty sure based on my personality I'm being intentionally "ironic" when I do that. I'm already aware orientation week isn't really representative of what uni life is really like (something I like to point out constantly during orientation) although I'm not really the type of person that likes to party non-stop. I'm definitely have a preference towards the more academic stuff that uni is known for, but these social experiences have been definitely a good thing for my self-confidence, which is something I'll need for my chosen career.;p so it's all good!
Great to hear you are enjoying it! Try and take it as it comes.

Our lecturers would make their own custom textbooks so we had to buy them at $120 and some of the money went to them. Fucking commerce.

I spent most of yesterday playing my $3 copy of Black Ops. I'm actually enjoying it more than the bit of the MWs I've played. Some of the stuff, like the Khe Sahn level (it's like 3 years old surely it doesn't need a spoiler) remind me of CoD 1 and 2 which was rad.
Yeah I really like it despite the fact you never ever ever need to fire a weapon.

FOLLOW ME: The Game.

Story and characters are fun though. Woods is godly.

MW3 is the high point for me. In retrospect I think less of BLOPS2, just a middling entry aside from your buddy being awesome.

Does anybody have that Nike Kinect game and want $30 for it and want to send it to me now?

I need indoor exercise but I ain't waiting 3 weeks to get it rom the UK.
Check KMart and Target, I picked up the first Nike one for $10 at Target and KMart are always trying to clear out those fitness games (Zumba on PS3 is $20).

jambo

CoD 2 was the high point, CoD 4 was also great.

Since then they've just released very expensive map packs with some 5 hour SP DLC every 12 months =P

Clipper

Speaking of textbooks and stuff, you guys are lucky that you can get slides off the Internet. That didn't become common practice until the last year or so of my undergrad degree. I still have my books of hand-written notes copied down from whatever the lecturer was writing or revealing on their overhead transparencies and/or on the blackboard. Yes, there were the classes where the lecturer would give the transparencies to the copy shop so you could get a print-on-demand version later on, but you just got used to copying all that stuff out yourself.

Thank goodness I never had to do that when I started lecturing, though. I don't think I could stand it.

Holy shit I need a drink.

Yep. Already resigned myself to it.

I really didn't want to have to do it until my son went to school but I pretty much need to find a second job at this point. Just too much money going out in bills to get anywhere.

:(
I wonder if you'd be able to do anything from home? My teaching job for example is 8pm-2am, so you'd still be able to spend time with him and he'd probably be in bed before you started. Hed only be a year or two off though right?
Good luck Rep:(

I wonder if you'd be able to do anything from home? My teaching job for example is 8pm-2am, so you'd still be able to spend time with him and he'd probably be in bed before you started. Hed only be a year or two off though right?
Good luck Rep:(

Yeah he is just over 2, only another 3 years to go.

Probably just pick up a part time hospitality job again. A friend is a cook at a restaurant here, might see if they want another pizza boy for the 5pm-midnight shift a few days a week. Once I get all the debt paid off I would probably drop the second job.

People actually play blops single player?

I've had a few games of multiplayer which has been fun, also have seen a fair few low level players which is always nice. The hacking doesn't seem to be as rampant as I was led to believe, as in I haven't seen any yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom