• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

OH YEAH, THE FOOTY IS BACK!

Channel 9 has really increased the production vales of their presentation (I think they've borrowed a bit from how the NFL is aired). Some of the camera angles have been hit or miss, but that hasn't been too frequent so far. One thing that I'm impressed with and I hope they continue is that the crowd is much more audible. It used to be rather subdued, making it feel a little stale, now it is so much better.

Danoss

I didn't think nine showed the footy on a Thursday night, or is it only down south?

It's a new thing for the opening 4 rounds this year, and one in the 7th round. 5 days of footy each of those weeks, no complaints here.

Edit: Now the game's over, I spoke too soon about Channel 9. Karl Stefanovic has no reason to be anywhere near Rugby League. Also, could Tom Waterhouse please leave or drop dead? I don't care which.

I finished tomb raider and it was greaaaaaaaat. The locations were so beautiful I wanted to cry. The puzzles were also pretty fun, though I would have liked more. A lot of reviews really panned the story for being unbelievable, and I kind of agree but for different reasons. Spoilers ahead:
The main problem, sited as being Lara's switch between being upset about shooting a deer and then shooting a bunch of dudes, didn't really register with me at all. They were bad guys, iunno. Lara's friends, on the other hand, were so goddamn ridiculous it snapped me out of the immersion whenever they appeared. They are all awful caricatures of popular stereotypes. There's one scene where Lara bursts in and kills a few guards to get to her friends (they're trapped in a cage). Despite not having known if she was alive until then, they spend the whole time saying dumb stuff like "damn guurrl, that was kick ASS!" (Angry black mother character). I gave 0 fucks about saving any of them. There was a hilarious bit though where the friendzoned character unnecessarily tries to sacrifice himself for Lara, and she just gives him a peck on the cheek. Ice cold.

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Jintor

Tomb Raider more like god damnit I just want to build a city why won't you let me on servers WHYYYYYYYYY

just kidding I'm playing Luigi's Mansion 2. Deadlines you know.

Shan were you playing on PC? How much did you pay? Steam is $70 atm and I am like NOPE

Would've maybe jumped in with you chaps playing L4D2 tonight but I didn't notice until 9pm that I didn't actually have it installed. All good now, so next time perhaps...

Tomb Raider more like god damnit I just want to build a city why won't you let me on servers WHYYYYYYYYY

Shan were you playing on PC? How much did you pay? Steam is $70 atm and I am like NOPE

Aww man. I wanna buy sim city :( even with the tiny tiny city lots.

On PC yeah. Unfortunately boyfriend?! bought it and waking him up for answers only yielded a "who? .... I don't know". I think it was on steam. It looks great on PC (apparently much better than console), but it is kinda short so it might be worth waiting until reptile finds a good deal :p

Omikron

1024x640.resizedimage

Video games.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU :/

Would've maybe jumped in with you chaps playing L4D2 tonight but I didn't notice until 9pm that I didn't actually have it installed. All good now, so next time perhaps...
Just finished up. I'm keen for some more over the weekend.

It looks great on PC (apparently much better than console), but it is kinda short so it might be worth waiting until reptile finds a good deal :p

PC games are awesome!

Although I can't really link to deals here as most of the good ones are through keysellers and it is near impossible to guarantee that none of their games for sale are Russian keys.
GMG, Impulse, Gamersgate, the Eurogamer one, are fine though.

Beat The Bomb has the PC retail edition for $37.50 delivered but not sure where it is from, all their stuff is usually UK stock though.

Dead Man

Speeding down 40% for SA

Information from SA Police indicates 282,000 expiation notices were issued in 2007-08.

Last financial year, the number was 170,000.

SA Police Minister Michael O'Brien credited more speed cameras, higher fines and the fear of bigger demerit point losses with having an impact on drivers.

"They know that there's a higher probability of being detected and in addition to fear of losing their licence they've been hit in the hip pocket," he said.

"No better way to produce a change in behaviour than a hefty fine."

But...

http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/87382/pinkbook2011.pdf

2008:
Crashes 21468
Fatalities 99

2011:
Crashes 22938
Fatalities 103

Not really seeing a reduction in crashes or fatalities. Definitely time for a new focus rather than just 'speed kills'.

jambo

AoE2HD on Steam, Steamworks multi, Steam Workshop mod support, enhanced engine.

Fucking amazing.

AOE2 is on the steam store, $20 ($18 pre-order) or $60 for the 4 pack.

Currently the single price is $17.99.

EDIT: you ninja editing bastard!

Managers out of the office for the day? 4 day weekend!

Tomb Raider really is a great game so far and everytime it crashes on my GTX670 I take that as a signal to take a break.
Nvidia even came out and appologised for the issues. Eidos must have rushed them a bit too much before release, Nvidia were meant to be getting better with this kind of shit, probably spent most of their time with Crysis I bet :/

Not really seeing a reduction in crashes or fatalities. Definitely time for a new focus rather than just 'speed kills'.
But gotta fill those coffers buddy!

Just make people do more fucking training. Also harsher penalties for actual shitty driving. Also don't let old people drive ffs.

AOE2 is on the steam store, $20 ($18 pre-order) or $60 for the 4 pack.
$15 like I thought, sounds good to me!

(I'll play it once and the wife will play it twice and then it will never be played again)

Omikron

Man, this Sim City clusterfuck. Ya'll see they disabled one of the game's speed modes? Amazing.

As I said on twitter, this kinda makes sense depending on their implementation of the centralised saving / multiplayer stuff.

My guess is it constantly syncs data back to the central server every n in game time periods, if you have the speed cranked right up, it probably smashes the servers and they can't cope very well.

Jintor

It might make sense from a code standpoint, but from a 'what the fuck did you do to my game' standpoint it's preeeeeeeeetty shitty.

I don't understand why it wasn't just every n seconds/minutes and it does a delta on the save game data to see if enough has changed or something, I dunno. Surely that's a better implementation than every n gametime cycles.

jambo

I saw some reviewers and game devs talking about it on Twitter and most of them said that they spend 80-90% of the game in Cheetah speed mode.

I use it a tonne in SC4 so It would suck not being able to fast forward to collect revenue faster or wait for something to develop.

Omikron

I don't understand why it wasn't just every n seconds/minutes and it does a delta on the save game data to see if enough has changed or something, I dunno. Surely that's a better implementation than every n gametime cycles.

Tell that to devs that likely are given requirements at a late stage post the majority of the game being finished / completed.

I thought the always online tracking stuff has been talked about since almost day one with Simcity? I remember saying NOPE NO BUY BUY to it months ago.

2-day weekend. :(
Yeah but you get like 4 fucking weeks off over the Christmas period in exchange don't you?!

Man, this Sim City clusterfuck. Ya'll see they disabled one of the game's speed modes? Amazing.
I see Amazon has pulled it from their marketplace lol

As I said on twitter, this kinda makes sense depending on their implementation of the centralised saving / multiplayer stuff.

My guess is it constantly syncs data back to the central server every n in game time periods, if you have the speed cranked right up, it probably smashes the servers and they can't cope very well.

I agree. But then it's a business decision. Not a decision to make the game better. They simply don't want to improve their DRM or pay for more servers.

"Hey guys! We removed some feature of the games so a few more people can get on and play it! If things are still shaky tomorrow we can remove the ability to save cities, that should ease the load and get 10-15 more people online to play their single player game!"

EDIT : Also it's the fastest one they took out? That sucks even worse because now it would play like a f2p mobile game but without the option to skip sitting around waiting.

Jintor

I thought the always online tracking stuff has been talked about since almost day one with Simcity? I remember saying NOPE NO BUY BUY to it months ago.

I think people were assuming it would work alright. Apparently that was overly optimistic. "Launch day for every game is ALWAYS a clusterfuck!" Sure, but should it be?

OH YEAH, THE FOOTY IS BACK!

Channel 9 has really increased the production vales of their presentation (I think they've borrowed a bit from how the NFL is aired). Some of the camera angles have been hit or miss, but that hasn't been too frequent so far. One thing that I'm impressed with and I hope they continue is that the crowd is much more audible. It used to be rather subdued, making it feel a little stale, now it is so much better.

I was also a fan on the new stuff at the start and then realised it was pretty horrible. The new graphics and stuff are good. The ex players walking on the field talking about the players they think will have an impact (who at best kind of did) was terrible and Karl can fuck right off.
Except for his mention of the old BRL. Clydesdales for life yo.

Oh did the stream work? I was suffering through Channel 9 delay and on an internet ban to overcome it.

Tell that to devs that likely are given requirements at a late stage post the majority of the game being finished / completed.

Yeah, I'm not blaming the devs at all. It wouldn't surprise me if they had put it forward as a solution but it was overcast for what is now the bane of the game's launch.

jambo

I agree. But then it's a business decision. Not a decision to make the game better. They simply don't want to improve their DRM or pay for more servers.

"Hey guys! We removed some feature of the games so a few more people can get on and play it! If things are still shaky tomorrow we can remove the ability to save cities, that should ease the load and get 10-15 more people online to play their single player game!"

From what I've been reading in the SimCity thread, people have already been having major issues with servers losing progress or entire cities just being fucked.

Plus, because it's all online and connected you can't just save and reload from that earlier point later on, so if you screw up your city you have to abandon it or demolish the whole thing...

Also, SimCity 4 Deluxe is in the top 20 sellers on Steam atm :lol

Plus, because it's all online and connected you can't just save and reload from that earlier point later on, so if you screw up your city you have to abandon it or demolish the whole thing...
That happened to someone at work. They reloaded after a break and their city was just missing.

I saw a screenshot where someone was trying to load their city and it either gave them the option to rollback (it didn't specify how far or how long) or abandon. No other option to quit and try later. Nice work.

Omikron

The whole move to 'cloud' saving and online integration is the correct one, but the implementations have largely been pretty bloody terrible.

Saves / content / etc should always be local, with the cloud being there for backup / major restore points etc etc, not as the primary source.

But what would I know, I am a consumer.

The whole move to 'cloud' saving and online integration is the correct one, but the implementations have largely been pretty bloody terrible.
Absolutely. You shouldn't have to worry about any of this stuff, it should just work in the background, and when things go south have the ability to recover without user intervention.

Maybe in ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom