• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
If this dude with a gun walked down a public mall in America at least one person would be dead. He does it here, no one else has a gun, the cops do their job awesomely, and only he is hurt and even then not really that badly considering.

Has anyone posted a really smug self centred post in OT about how much better Australia is? Because we totally deserve one right now.

Dead Man

So... has anyone else had their PS3 die with the flashing red light while it was in standby? Seems like all the stories I have read have happened when it was turned on. Mine died sometime between last nigh and now and it has been in standby the whole time.

No, sorry, I haven't heard of that before. Do you have PS+? If so, it could be that it turned on to update over night when something happened.

Does it not turn on at all anymore?

Dead Man

No, sorry, I haven't heard of that before. Do you have PS+? If so, it could be that it turned on to update over night when something happened.

Does it not turn on at all anymore?

No PS+. I managed to get it to do a fan test to eject my disc, but it switches right off and goes back to blinking red light. I think it's dead, or at least dead enough that a replacement will be easier than a repair. Is there any way to transfer data from a dead console?

jambo

You can easily remove PS3 HDDs, so you might to be able to hook it up to a PC and get whatever files you need off of it from there.

Dead Man

You can easily remove PS3 HDDs, so you might to be able to hook it up to a PC and get whatever files you need off of it from there.

Yeah, I've got a spare enclosure, I was thinking more savegame stuff since most of those are locked these days. Stupid trophies.

Deeku

PS3 hdd stuff is encrypted or whatever iirc so you can't get it off onto a pc. And putting the drive into another PS3 doesn't work either cos it will auto format it.

You're kinda boned if you haven't/can't back up the drive unfortunately:(

Deeku

Bugger. This is a bit frustrating.
Yup.

Don't send it straight to Sony either cos they won't retrieve the data for you. If you really need that savedata, best thing to do is find a console repair place that can fix it for cheap-ish, back up the stuff and get a new one.

Also this is going by my experience from like 4 years ago so things may have changed. Call around and check etc

Jintor

Well give me your true name so I can ensorcell you, come on

how am I going to curse you henceforth without your true name? don't be inconsiderate

Dead Man

Yup.

Don't send it straight to Sony either cos they won't retrieve the data for you. If you really need that savedata, best thing to do is find a console repair place that can fix it for cheap-ish, back up the stuff and get a new one.

Yeah. I think I'll just buy a new one this weekend and see how I go with losing the save data. I think I'll be okay except for a few games which were bitches to get a completed endgame save for.

So, what's the best deal on a PS3 at the moment?

Bugger. This is a bit frustrating.
You sort of only have a couple of options right now, I'm sorry.

1) If you want/need your save data you will need to get it to power on long enough or frequently enough (whichever is possible) to back up your save data. Then send it to a repairer/Sony. Sony only sends back referbs and will not back up your data. Or transfer the save data to a new PS3.

2) Get a new PS3 and start over.

If there's one thing that Sony really screwed regarding harddrives is pairing of harddrives to the one console. You really should be able to take your hardrive out or transfer over data easily like the 360.

I don't suppose you recently performed a backup?

I'm really sorry, Dead Man :(

Jintor

So I added Aon as a friend in origin but for some fucking reason it doesn't actually sync to the friends list inside sim city. great job.

Aon

Yeah I cant see you in game either.

I wonder if this is one of those "peripheral social features" they disabled.

Jintor

People please note that Jintor hasn't added me, despite asking for my username.

XSTEoMX.jpg

Omikron

Fucked if I know dude. 'Only on Origin' feature. :D

That is what it says my Origin ID is! You Jintor on there? Sent a request anyways.

All is forgiven.

Pretty sure the only reason I have one is from that time they were giving Sims 2 away. Also I guess I probably needed it for periphery stuff in Dragon Age Origins/Mass Effect/ME2 or something?

Yeah, most likely, I have Mass Effect account of some description linked it seems, but it doesn't appear in my games list, of course.

Axiom

I'm Aratis on Origin, I'll try and pop on now

Edit: I added Aonshi within SimCity itself and still not showing up.

I take it the AusGaf region is private, as trying to find it through the list isn't going well.

Edit 2: I found the region, the friend thing started working!

jambo

L4D2 tonight ?

Participants:
Omikron

I've got a date tonight with the missus to see the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra play 2001: A Space Odyssey, so I'll have to pass. I don't have anything planned for the weekend though, so one of the three days I should be free.

Any good prices on sim city as yet?

$5.99 on GoG.com and $19.99 on Steam ;)

Yeah, most likely, I have Mass Effect account of some description linked it seems, but it doesn't appear in my games list, of course.

You should be able to grab CD keys from EA games on Steam and put them in to Origin.

$5.99 on GoG.com and $19.99 on Steam ;)
Hang on a second...

Much like twins, ears also have a strong connection with each other and can feel the other's pain.
This was actually kind of what I was thinking. Like when people without limbs can feel pain where there was a limb. Or My left ear is tired of being slept on (can't sleep on my right side).

L4D2 tonight ?

Participants:
Omikron

Can I be put down as a "maybe, if I get this homework done"?

Omikron

Hang on a second...

This was actually kind of what I was thinking. Like when people without limbs can feel pain where there was a limb. Or My left ear is tired of being slept on (can't sleep on my right side).

Can I be put down as a "maybe, if I get this homework done"?
I'll take that as A yes, because, procrastination.

Danoss

This so so weird. I got a lower helix piercing on my right ear a few days ago, and it throbs a bit sometimes... but the same spot on my left ear is starting to throb too.

While it is certainly weird, the body can mirror pain and also some benefits to the opposing part of the body. I've read a couple of things where scientists are somewhat beginning to understand and investigate this further.

How's your sleeping going with that piercing? I want to get that same piercing at some point but have heard from many sources how much of a pain cartilage piercings can be. I've heard many times that it might seem healed for ages and the slightest bump can set it off again, since cartilage piercings take a very long time to heal. And all you can do is sea salt soaks to help the healing process.

Travel pillows are meant to be great to keep the piercing from touching anything in your sleep. I bought a Total Pillow after hearing many people say how great they are.

Edit: On that topic, my stretched ears are still healing. I guess that should be expected when you go from no piercing to a 6mm hole in under a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom