• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Saves / content / etc should always be local, with the cloud being there for backup / major restore points etc etc, not as the primary source.

But what would I know, I am a consumer.

Origin actually kinda does this already.

You have local save files, but also the option of baking them up to the cloud.

Only problem is quite a few people have had issues when the client attempts to sync the cloud saves so a lot of people, myself included, turn it off...

Omikron

Danoss

I was also a fan on the new stuff at the start and then realised it was pretty horrible. The new graphics and stuff are good. The ex players walking on the field talking about the players they think will have an impact (who at best kind of did) was terrible and Karl can fuck right off.
Except for his mention of the old BRL. Clydesdales for life yo.

All the pre-game stuff was terrible as per usual. The in-game camera and sound work was a real step up. They did flounder a bit on the odd occasion, the spider-cam in particular was fantastic on some occasions and incredibly disorienting in others.

It's bad enough that we have to put up with Phil Gould who is by far the worst offender, but also Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler. Why did they have to add Karl Stefanovic to the mix? I felt he was incredibly condescending to Sterlo at half time and that's unforgivable. You cannot behave like that to one of the only two worthwhile commentators on the game who offers some of the best analysis you'll hear.

Whoever had the idea for the SBW voice-overs needs a solid boot up the arse. Maybe it was nice however they imagined it, but in reality that's not something anyone needs to hear. Ever.

Oh did the stream work? I was suffering through Channel 9 delay and on an internet ban to overcome it.

It was pretty damn good. I had it and the TV on next to each other for a bit. The delay wasn't too long, it doesn't handle motion as well which I would assume is a framerate thing. I had it on in HD (not really HD, but still very good) and it held pretty damn well.

PS Vita is $200 at EB again. We seem to get a lot more sales on it here than the US.

Also Nexus 7 32GB is $249 at Dick Smith, which is really tempting if I had money.

Four or five days, yes. That doesn't help me now when everyone else is having a long weekend!
Ah, you don't get from the week before Xmas to the week after New Years off? Must have only been the Logistics staff.

That isn't so awesome then if you still lose the public holidays.

I think people were assuming it would work alright. Apparently that was overly optimistic. "Launch day for every game is ALWAYS a clusterfuck!" Sure, but should it be?
For one of the biggest publishers on the planet? It shouldn't be. They have FUCKLOADS of servers. They should be able to handle it. Otherwise they shouldn't have done it in the first place.

From what I've been reading in the SimCity thread, people have already been having major issues with servers losing progress or entire cities just being fucked. :lol
See, that ain't good. I really hope this leads to them allowing offline cities.

It fucking better lead to them allowing offline cities.

DmC is $58 at Big W. The feel of import prices.
Under $50 from BeatTheBomb & Play Asia. OzGameShop is $48

Omikron

I never understood how the Steam Cloud sync works.

Is it all games? Steamworks games? Valve games? Can you turn it off or change any settings?

Just some I think, think they show if they have cloud saves on the store page... fairly sure you can turn it off / configure it per game that has it via the properties.

Jintor

Origin actually kinda does this already.

You have local save files, but also the option of baking them up to the cloud.

Only problem is quite a few people have had issues when the client attempts to sync the cloud saves so a lot of people, myself included, turn it off...

I've been thinking about poking around that Citadel DLC for ME3, so I hope my saves are in the cloud... number one reason I have a bunch of Steam games clogging up my PC, no idea if they're cloud'd or not. Mandatory cloud saves would be fine by me if it was well-implemented.

jambo

See, that ain't good. I really hope this leads to them allowing offline cities.

It fucking better lead to them allowing offline cities.

Problem is, a whole bunch of processing is done on servers and then piped down to your PC, much like Diablo III.

They would have to make pretty major changes to get it working offline.

Just some I think, think they show if they have cloud saves on the store page... fairly sure you can turn it off / configure it per game that has it via the properties.

I've seen a few games syncing on close and what not and sometimes Steam will take 15-20 seconds to close as it syncs.

Might have a snoop around on the weekend.

Yeah just right click on the game entry in your Library, go to pref, should have a Cloud Saves section in the middle of the window that pops up where you can select yes/no as well as how much space it takes up.

EDIT: Pretty sure Dick Smith has 3DS stock for $119! I wouldn't expect a lot of stores to still have them though.

All the pre-game stuff was terrible as per usual. The in-game camera and sound work was a real step up. They did flounder a bit on the odd occasion, the spider-cam in particular was fantastic on some occasions and incredibly disorienting in others.

It's bad enough that we have to put up with Phil Gould who is by far the worst offender, but also Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler. Why did they have to add Karl Stefanovic to the mix? I felt he was incredibly condescending to Sterlo at half time and that's unforgivable. You cannot behave like that to one of the only two worthwhile commentators on the game who offers some of the best analysis you'll hear.

Whoever had the idea for the SBW voice-overs needs a solid boot up the arse. Maybe it was nice however they imagined it, but in reality that's not something anyone needs to hear. Ever.

It was pretty damn good. I had it and the TV on next to each other for a bit. The delay wasn't too long, it doesn't handle motion as well which I would assume is a framerate thing. I had it on in HD (not really HD, but still very good) and it held pretty damn well.

I didn't love the spidercam. I saw a couple of players looking around distracted at the scrums before realising what it was. I didn't think it added much really. Not like ref cam has in the Super Rugby. That's awesome.

Totally checking out the streams when I get a chance.

Also I'm watching the first Anita Sarkeesian video. It's excellent.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I totally forgot to put in my Syndicate review.

Pressing a button fast while opening doors totally makes me feel like i'm opening a real door. Like, Dat immersion is just amazing.

Danoss

I didn't love the spidercam. I saw a couple of players looking around distracted at the scrums before realising what it was. I didn't think it added much really. Not like ref cam has in the Super Rugby. That's awesome.

Oh, it wasn't earth-shattering at all. Used in the right places, I think it definitely adds something but I wouldn't complain much if they never used it again. Their use of the crowd sound was the most impressive thing, they've needed to amplify that for some time now and I hope that wasn't a one-off.

Totally checking out the streams when I get a chance.

They're keeping the archived videos too! So watch the replays in non-shitty quality. I still can't believe how shit the BigPond Player is. The stored video files are decent I'm sure, but the player pixelates the shit out of it.

Wow. Simcity went from 9.5 to 8 and now 4 on Polygon.

I totally forgot to put in my Syndicate review.

Pressing a button fast while opening doors totally makes me feel like i'm opening a real door. Like, Dat immersion is just amazing.

Fucking BLOPS man. Can't ever EVER open a fucking door. Just run straight into them. Can't be opened unless it just so happens to be one that the dude with a big FOLLOW text above his head wants to peruse.

Only when you are told to tap the fuck out of A are you allowed to open a door. Tap the fuck out of that like there is a hydraulic piston trying to push it back against your force. Tap the fuck out of that like you have the strength of a pineapple. Throw your pineapple self at that damn door time and time again. Otherwise you ain't getting that fucking door open!

Fucking doors.

‏@brentread_7
Hearing NRL is ready to intervene at Cronulla and make some big changes off field. Could be major developments later today.

In hindsight I should have changed my tips....

This SimCity debacle is ridiculous. That said I'm totally picking up 4 over the weekend

EDIT: What's the best price on WiiU's at the moment? Even though I'm poor and trying to save I kind of want one.

MTE

Speaking of prices of Nintendo Hardware... what price would I have to pay for a Wii? Mine's kicked the bucket, somewhat. New or second hand...

A new Wii would be under $100 easily, usually the Mario Kart bundles get under $99 (saw it once for $69 at a KMart). Pre-owned ones have been under $50 for ages, EB would have pre-owned ones for that. Otherwise hit up Dick Smith/KMart/Target.

‏What's the best price on WiiU's at the moment? Even though I'm poor and trying to save I kind of want one.

No real deals on. Was cheapest at launch really.

Aside from ZombiU there hasn't been a game to kickstart a sales campaign so I wouldn't expect anything decent until Pikmin or Wonderful 101.

A small ($20 at most) sale when LEGO GTA comes out is possible too.

Meh fuck it then. I need to save anyway

More importantly there is apparently a gunman in Queen St Mall. It's been evacuated and locked down. Stay safe BrisCityGAF!

markot

Banned
That's a ridiculous price for such a sweet bit of hardware.

no.

32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card
PS Vita
$113.00
+ Add to cart
16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card
PS Vita
$68.00
+ Add to cart
8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card
PS Vita
$48.00

Was actually thinking of getting the vita but screw it and its proprietry memory card shit.

Fuck you sony you mini discing basterds.

BEzFrgaCQAEfkrX.jpg:large

From https://twitter.com/MattWarrell/status/309839825601708033/photo/1

jambo

I remember in the cricket a few players got annoyed when it came down too low in their field of vision, Wade especially.

How did he get into Sim City?

Let's hope the server crashes...

Fusebox

Banned
no.

PS Vita
$113.00
+ Add to cart
PS Vita
$68.00
+ Add to cart
PS Vita
$48.00

Was actually thinking of getting the vita but screw it and its proprietry memory card shit.

Fuck you sony you mini discing basterds.

Buy the 32GB from Amazon for $75 instead. $275 for a Vita + 32GB card is still cheaper than Vita RRP and if you have PS+ it's crazy good value.

MTE

Just for those who might be at all interested, lunchtime recon reveals:

New Wii w/ Mario Kart: $199
Pre-owned Wii @ EB: $68

Apparently he ripped something off his wrist and his shirt.

I SMELL A POSSIBLE UNDERBELLY STORY BREWING HERE

COMING TO CHANNEL NINE IN 2014

UNDERBELLY: CAMPBELL'S COUNTY

Come on man. It's out of Victoria or Sydney. Channel Nine doesn't cover events north of the Tweed.

There could be a really good Underbelly type show on the government and police corruption during the Joh regime, but Nine would prefer to reenact little known pushers instead.

There could be a really good Underbelly type show on the government and police corruption during the Joh regime, but Nine would prefer to reenact little known pushers instead.

No production company would be willing to pursue it, lest they get sued regardless of the validity of the claims.

Which sucks because I love me some good boardroom drama.

If it turns out that he wasn't under the influence of vast, inhuman amounts of meth I'll be disappointed.

Clive: The first thing I thought of when I saw that first picture was "is that Vanilla Ice?". Uncanny.

If this dude with a gun walked down a public mall in America at least one person would be dead. He does it here, no one else has a gun, the cops do their job awesomely, and only he is hurt and even then not really that badly considering.

davidnic

Sounds like its all over. The dude's been detained and possibly shot, non-fatally.

Back to complaining about SimCity

I watch this on TV at lunch, I thought there should shot him and there did, because it be easy solution and he won't hurt anybody then. We probably here more on the news tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom