• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Josh Papalii backs out of the contract signed with the Eels and re-signs with the Raiders for 3 years.

I'm fine with clubs having every opportunity to retain their players, but I think that once a contract is signed, that's it. This whole system has to change, maybe keep the current club in the loop to give them the opportunity to match or exceed another clubs offer.

A signature on a contract is "I agree to be bound by the terms written here and here is my signature to show that I intend to follow through with this agreement, not "I agree with the above unless I change my mind later on, in which case you can eat my dust".

So the Sharks are boned. Like proper boned..

Yeah, shit is looking pretty dire for them. Just over 10 mins until the club announces what's going on.

i got fired.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Josh Papalii backs out of the contract signed with the Eels and re-signs with the Raiders for 3 years.

I'm fine with clubs having every opportunity to retain their players, but I think that once a contract is signed, that's it. This whole system has to change, maybe keep the current club in the loop to give them the opportunity to match or exceed another clubs offer.

A signature on a contract is "I agree to be bound by the terms written here and here is my signature to show that I intend to follow through with this agreement, not "I agree with the above unless I change my mind later on, in which case you can eat my dust".

Yeah, shit is looking pretty dire for them. Just over 10 mins until the club announces what's going on.

Totally. I realise contracts aren't official until round 13 or something, so it sounds like Papalii was pretty much using the Eels as a negotiating ploy, but it's a shitty system.
Have a system like US sports. If they're not your player you can't talk to them when they're under contract. Contract expires then you can negotiate.

The idea players can't move in an offseason is a load of shit. When anyone quits their job and moves location they get what? Four weeks? The offseason is way longer than that.

Apparently there are more clubs to go with this too. Sounds like ASADA is going NRL crazy and hasn't even looked at Essendon yet.

Danoss

Totally. I realise contracts aren't official until round 13 or something, so it sounds like Papalii was pretty much using the Eels as a negotiating ploy, but it's a shitty system.
Have a system like US sports. If they're not your player you can't talk to them when they're under contract. Contract expires then you can negotiate.

The idea players can't move in an offseason is a load of shit. When anyone quits their job and moves location they get what? Four weeks? The offseason is way longer than that.

Yep, it's broken. At least he didn't take until the deadline to decide so the Eels can look elsewhere, wherever that might be.

Apparently there are more clubs to go with this too. Sounds like ASADA is going NRL crazy and hasn't even looked at Essendon yet.

Yeah, how quickly the focus switched to the NRL. I'd say I'm surprised, but the media loves slinging shit at the NRL. How the AFL has avoided it for so long is beyond me.

Cartilage, actually.
Haaa.
Yep, it's broken. At least he didn't take until the deadline to decide so the Eels can look elsewhere, wherever that might be.

Yeah, how quickly the focus switched to the NRL. I'd say I'm surprised, but the media loves slinging shit at the NRL. How the AFL has avoided it for so long is beyond me.

They don't have nearly as good media control or spin doctors. I seriously doubt the AFL will be clean though.
So. Perth Sharks anyone?

EDIT: People keep on saying how sad this is. Bullshit. It's sad there is a drug scandal to start with. Weed them out and get rid of them. There's nothing sad about that

Kritz

Banned
if it's after 8 I can join in l4d2. My ping seems to be pretty normal now. Dunno what caused the 200+ ping last night.

While it is certainly weird, the body can mirror pain and also some benefits to the opposing part of the body. I've read a couple of things where scientists are somewhat beginning to understand and investigate this further.

How's your sleeping going with that piercing? I want to get that same piercing at some point but have heard from many sources how much of a pain cartilage piercings can be. I've heard many times that it might seem healed for ages and the slightest bump can set it off again, since cartilage piercings take a very long time to heal. And all you can do is sea salt soaks to help the healing process.

Travel pillows are meant to be great to keep the piercing from touching anything in your sleep. I bought a Total Pillow after hearing many people say how great they are.

Its hard to say because I'm only on day three, but its alright so far. It sometimes gets uncomfortable laying on one side but I've yet to roll over onto it and wake myself up :p That pillow looks handy! I've been able to do something similar just resting on my arm and having the piercing sit in the little hole between arm bits. And yeah, its supposed to take 3 - 6 months to heal, as opposed to 4 weeks for lobe piercings. My main concern right now is hair catching on it.

Edit: On that topic, my stretched ears are still healing. I guess that should be expected when you go from no piercing to a 6mm hole in under a minute.

D: Jesus that sounds painful. Was there much blood? My lobe one didn't bleed at all, but the helix did a bit (I got two, for clarification).

Danoss

They don't have nearly as good media control or spin doctors. I seriously doubt the AFL will be clean though.
So. Perth Sharks anyone?

Media control is it exactly. I've read a bunch of things on what some AFL player have done and it's on-par with the worst NRL stories and yet the difference in coverage couldn't be greater.

EDIT: People keep on saying how sad this is. Bullshit. It's sad there is a drug scandal to start with. Weed them out and get rid of them. There's nothing sad about that

It really is. I was hoping for a year where there wasn't a scandal in the NRL. Sadly, that's not to happen this year. Last year was about as quiet as we could have hoped for.

Its hard to say because I'm only on day three, but its alright so far. It sometimes gets uncomfortable laying on one side but I've yet to roll over onto it and wake myself up :p That pillow looks handy! I've been able to do something similar just resting on my arm and having the piercing sit in the little hole between arm bits. And yeah, its supposed to take 3 - 6 months to heal, as opposed to 4 weeks for lobe piercings. My main concern right now is hair catching on it.

Yeah, the in-between the crook of your arm trick is certainly one. I found that too uncomfortable and couldn't do it. Lobe piercings are 8-12 weeks, so not too quick but far better than cartilage piercings, though obviously longer if they're stretched.

I thought that pillow might be helpful, it's pretty great. Very handy for the easily aggravated cartilage piercing.

D: Jesus that sounds painful. Was there much blood? My lobe one didn't bleed at all, but the helix did a bit (I got two, for clarification).

Not much blood at the time of the piercing and there has only been a few drops here and there since. I think I've got another month or two to go. It hurt like hell as you would imagine, but only lasted the duration of the procedure.

Dead Man

You sort of only have a couple of options right now, I'm sorry.

1) If you want/need your save data you will need to get it to power on long enough or frequently enough (whichever is possible) to back up your save data. Then send it to a repairer/Sony. Sony only sends back referbs and will not back up your data. Or transfer the save data to a new PS3.

2) Get a new PS3 and start over.

If there's one thing that Sony really screwed regarding harddrives is pairing of harddrives to the one console. You really should be able to take your hardrive out or transfer over data easily like the 360.

I don't suppose you recently performed a backup?

I'm really sorry, Dead Man :(
Thanks. Nah, no backup recently, last one was about a year ago when I put in a new hd, and I think I have deleted than once anyway. Looks like I'll just grab a new one and see how I go. There's only a couple saves I will really miss. GT5 mainly. Oh well, at least the grind for money is not as bad as it used to be in that one.

So is JB the best place to get a new one at the moment?

i got fired.
Damn man, sorry to hear that.

Yeah, the in-between the crook of your arm trick is certainly one. I found that too uncomfortable and couldn't do it. Lobe piercings are 8-12 weeks, so not too quick but far better than cartilage piercings, though obviously longer if they're stretched.

I thought that pillow might be helpful, it's pretty great. Very handy for the easily aggravated cartilage piercing.

Not much blood at the time of the piercing and there has only been a few drops here and there since. I think I've got another month or two to go. It hurt like hell as you would imagine, but only lasted the duration of the procedure.

I can't sleep on my arm but its come in handy lazing on the couch. Thanks for letting me know about the lobe piercing, I don't wanna take it out too soon.

How come you decided to stretch right away? Wouldn't it be better to wait? Also, did you end up getting the eyebrow re-done? Off your tree is doing a sale this week, fyi. $1 piercings if you buy a ring for it.

I honestly don't even know. They were just flailing up there.

Off the top of my head:

People fired for "management failures" during the period of early 2011 when Dank was employed there. Details not given.
It wasn't related to doping allegations, but it is related to Dank and that time period. So effectively it is related.

The Sharks are standing by their players. Expect the named team to play on Sunday. Innocent until proven guilty.

Flannagan has been "stood down" not fired.

This year the club was on track for their best financial year ever after being in mega debt for years.

i got fired.
Well that sucks. Was there any indication it was coming? Did they say why at least?

Also, from half of your comments in IRC... it's probably not the worst thing ever. Also also, you can drink a shitload this weekend with (almost) no repercussions!

Danoss

I can't sleep on my arm but its come in handy lazing on the couch. Thanks for letting me know about the lobe piercing, I don't wanna take it out too soon.

No worries. I take it they didn't tell you this at the shop? If they didn't, here's an aftercare guide by the Association of Piercing professionals. There's a link on the page there to a nicely formatted pamphlet, it's very good.

Generally, leaving a piercing alone for as long as possible is the best thing you can do for it. The only thing that needs to be done is to do warm sea salt soaks once or twice a day and gently drying with a paper towel afterwards. The best guide I have for how strong to make the sea salt solution is it should taste like tears, not brine.

Any sea salt from the store shelves is fine, table salt is no good at all. I mix mine with some just boiled water and some deionised/distilled water from the supermarket.

How come you decided to stretch right away? Wouldn't it be better to wait? Also, did you end up getting the eyebrow re-done? Off your tree is doing a sale this week, fyi. $1 piercings if you buy a ring for it.

The real danger of stretching ears is a "blowout" which is pushing the fistula, which makes the hole the jewellery sits in, to the outside. It's very painful, unpleasant and looks disgusting. The bonus with stretching right away is that there is no fistula there at all, since that's what the healing process creates, so you can stretch more aggressively. Only a proper piercer should do this and there is only so big you can go before it's unsafe to do so without risks not worth taking. I had mine done as big as my piercer will ever go.

I didn't get my eyebrow redone, but I had the bar changed over. It was the smallest one they have and looks fantastic. My piercer was very surprised with how resilient my piercing was and said I should definitely keep the same hole as repiercing comes with a range of possible problems. I'm glad I did, it looks great.

i got fired.
Ah fuck sorry dude :(

Hope something pops up quickly.

Yeah that is really fucked. Breach of contract should mean you get penalised. Not cool to dick around clubs like that.

Ideally he would get injured first round :)

Danoss

Manly markers all night: "what's square?"

FallbackPants, you gotta love that try by Brisbane. That looked like a brilliant set play and Hodges just made a gap where there wasn't one. Wonderful to watch. Bonus: ref taking a tumble.

Edit: Spoke too soon, that second try was absolutely incredible! Wallace almost got Prince poleaxed, but Prince turned it into something special. Hodges couldn't have completed that better.

No PS+. I managed to get it to do a fan test to eject my disc, but it switches right off and goes back to blinking red light. I think it's dead, or at least dead enough that a replacement will be easier than a repair. Is there any way to transfer data from a dead console?

You won't be able to transfer data without getting the system to boot. If you remove the hard drive and try to use it in another Ps3, it will format itself.

You can get it fixed for $60-$80 and then keep it as a blu-ray player, after transferring your save data. No point in using it for gaming after the repair, as there is a 50% chance you will have that problem again.

Are you really desperate to get a new Ps3? I'd suggest waiting till E3 or whenever Sony decides to clear the air about backwards compatibility with the PS4.

In related PS news, vita wifi is again 199 at EB. Thinking of getting it, since the price does not seem to be going down anymore. It's actually more expensive in the USA, I was hoping to get one from there in a few months.

Sorry to hear about your job Megadrive. :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The single player experiment.

So I have to say, Forcing myself to play through games i've purchaed and barely touched was somewhat of a success. While most of them were average at best, They were at least enjoyable in their own little ways to make me actually get through them.

I think this year will certainly be about me continuing to finish off the backlog. Part of me really wants to write down notes as I go along to give a more correct opinion on what I played. That would require some mad time though and actual writing skills, I lack the motivation and writing skills. Wat.

Now I just need to go through all my games and figure out which ones I have left to complete. Time to make a list.

Jintor

Do you at least enjoy the games you're playing enough to finish them and still enjoy them?

I drop games I don't enjoy
unless I'm being paid of course
. I don't have that much spare time.

Aon are you on Oceanic?

Fredescu

Part of me really wants to write down notes as I go along to give a more correct opinion on what I played. That would require some mad time though and actual writing skills, I lack the motivation and writing skills. Wat.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed your mini reviews.

Danoss

Channel 9, spider-cam is a privilege, not a right. You have abused it and don't know how to use it. REVOKED.

Tom Waterhouse, please drop dead.

It's going to be great being at the game tomorrow. 3 grades of footy to watch and none of Channel 9's inane bullshit. I will have to put up with some Eels fans and many of them seem to be mentally deficient, so there's that.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
For what it's worth, I've enjoyed your mini reviews.

I actually had better reviews in my head, As soon as I start typing it all vanishes and the most random assortment of crap comes out. So it's just this giant mess instead of it actually being really well thought out.

That happens with everything I do though D:

Omni

Ehh, my connection has been terrible tonight. Try to play BF3 and I just get frozen on the spot (and invincible). As much fun as it is watching five or so guys trying to kill you, it's very frustrating not being able to do anything

Well that sucks. Was there any indication it was coming? Did they say why at least?

Also, from half of your comments in IRC... it's probably not the worst thing ever. Also also, you can drink a shitload this weekend with (almost) no repercussions!

Its my birthday next week so plan on it! They did say why and it was partly a financial thing on their part. They're a startup and I wasn't putting out enough work at times so the money vs output ratio was off.

I have no idea what I'm gonna do about money :-(

img-tom.png

CAN FUCK OFF

Soule

Ugh what a disappointing second half of the Broncos game, just rolled over and let them have their way with them. And that was to be the highlight of my night of studying after football

Deeku

had a nice little farewell dinner thing with some friends. friend semi surprise organised it at a place I've been meaning to try for a while as well, which was v. nice. good food, good wine, good night!

also I'm sick of packing. i have too much loser gamer nerdy crap, like i didn't even realise how much of a loser i was until i had to sort through and move boxes n boxes of stuff into the garage...and I was pretty certain on throwing out a lot of of stuff too but then I chickened out:/

Any Broncos fan should know that for most part the Broncos are a first half team. They play a fancy first half then turtle up during the second but a lot of the star players are tired as fuck by then and with all the newbies this season it's a tactic that needs revision.

Jintor

had a nice little farewell dinner thing with some friends. friend semi surprise organised it at a place I've been meaning to try for a while as well, which was v. nice. good food, good wine, good night!

also I'm sick of packing. i have too much loser gamer nerdy crap, like i didn't even realise how much of a loser i was until i had to sort through and move boxes n boxes of stuff into the garage...and I was pretty certain on throwing out a lot of of stuff too but then I chickened out:/

deek deek going to hong kong :T

Channel 9, spider-cam is a privilege, not a right. You have abused it and don't know how to use it. REVOKED.

Tom Waterhouse, please drop dead.

It's going to be great being at the game tomorrow. 3 grades of footy to watch and none of Channel 9's inane bullshit. I will have to put up with some Eels fans and many of them seem to be mentally deficient, so there's that.

Spider cam might be alright if it was in HD, as is the resolution is terrible and you can barely make anything out. Agree that tomorrow is going to be awesome, super Saturday is my favorite time of the week.

On Tom Waterhouse i had a patient not long ago who told me i look just like him. The whole time he was in hospital he called me Tom (at first i didn't know why). Felt like offing myself lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom