• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

My new hobby officially started today, rc car racing. I am just practicing at the moment, it's harder than it looks, though I did manage a couple of laps without crashing or going on to the grass.

WP_20130315_001.jpg

Check out the wasp chasing my car :O

edit: uploaded better pic

Danoss

What sort of control do you have? I used to have dual sticks, which are horrible for controlling a car. As soon as I changed to one with a trigger and wheel, it was a piece of cake to control (plus I got a better car).

senahorse

Using a spektrum trigger grip control at the moment. It's very easy to steer at low speeds but when it hits second car the slightest turn and I can hit the curb or go on to the grass, slowly getting used to it though.

edit: this is it

SPM2120-450.jpg

Roulette

Well I registered years ago, but was only approved a week ago. I lurked AusGAF threads a while back. The only guy I remember was from QLD and he hated everything.

Danoss

Using a spektrum trigger grip control at the moment. It's very easy to steer at low speeds but when it hits second car the slightest turn and I can hit the curb or go on to the grass, slowly getting used to it though.

edit: this is it

SPM2120-450.jpg

Ah, you'll just need some practice then. That's a much better control than mine, which is just a basic Futaba AM control. I didn't bother with FM (or the newer 2.4GHz units which I didn't even know existed until now, that's how long it's been).

I haven't even bothered putting the twin speed kit on mine, I was keeping it stock to wear the motor in and never got around to putting it on. Don't use it much anymore. I have the Kyosho V-One-S, which was a brilliant car when it came out and is a dream to control since it's so predictable.

Danoss

Yeah certainly need practice, this is mine here, it's an X-Ray NT1

Petrol, excellent choice! The sound is like music to my ears.

I had an old and cheap Sinh-Yea (forget how it's spelled) and I crashed it once and the tuned pipe fell off. The fucking sound it unleashed just before the engine stopped from lack of pressure was unbelievable! It took a bit of work to get it running with the tuned pipe off, but it was worth it; it sounded like a dirt bike tearing up and down the street. People were coming out of their houses to see what the noise was, I kid you not. This was all from a size .15 engine.

The engine seized not long after that, but it was worth it.

XRay wasn't a thing when I was into it, not sure if they're relatively new or if I hadn't heard of them. That looks like a gorgeous car, and very well engineered. The only thing that looks like it would be worth changing are the shocks, some nice aluminium ones make a big difference.

Edit: How did you find building it? I had a blast putting mine together.

senahorse

I will keep these shocks until one breaks :). They are oil filled and have nice springs on them so they will do for now. The engine is a tuned .12 size. It's the only engine I am allowed to use in the class I will be in, it's all very tightly regulated to ensure close racing and stop costs spiraling out of control. I am still a little while away from racing but I have key access to the track to practice when I want and it's only 5 minutes away from here :D

As for noise, yeah it's not quiet lol, I ran it last night in the garage just to make sure it was ready for this morning and my god is it loud, filled the garage up with a lovely smell and a fair bit of smoke. I love the smell of nitro in the morning :p

Jintor

Credits roll on the first Metal Gear Solid.

My god that got really really stupid near the end. I can't imagine what that would have done to my poor, young, uncynical brain if I had played it in its proper time context. I would probably have gone nuts.

teekun

Credits roll on the first Metal Gear Solid.

My god that got really really stupid near the end. I can't imagine what that would have done to my poor, young, uncynical brain if I had played it in its proper time context. I would probably have gone nuts.

As someone who played it when I was still a teenager and it was brand new, I actually thought it was quality, impressive storytelling. I was so stupid.

Those end credits are still the greatest thing, though. Even now.

So have no never played any of these games? Because 2 is going to blow your mind with stupidity.

senahorse

I remember buying comics with ads for Metal Gear on NES. I used to love the ads as a war obsessed kid (collection of army men etc), as they showed all these weapons and gadgets over the whole page.

edit: found it :D

metal+gear+nes+ad+001.jpg

Danoss

I will keep these shocks until one breaks :). They are oil filled and have nice springs on them so they will do for now. The engine is a tuned .12 size. It's the only engine I am allowed to use in the class I will be in, it's all very tightly regulated to ensure close racing and stop costs spiraling out of control. I am still a little while away from racing but I have key access to the track to practice when I want and it's only 5 minutes away from here :D

As for noise, yeah it's not quiet lol, I ran it last night in the garage just to make sure it was ready for this morning and my god is it loud, filled the garage up with a lovely smell and a fair bit of smoke. I love the smell of nitro in the morning :p

Yeah, no need to go crazy on extra shit, that looks like a great unit right out of the box. The shocks just look plasticy in the pictures, but they might be different in person. The ones on my V-One-S were so shoddy looking, I had to get some better ones. Yours are adjustable, so that's already a win.

I'd imagine you'll have an easier time leaning on a size .12 engine, with a little less power to try and reign in. They're a little less quiet, but not by much.

Jealous of you having a track to race on, and so close by, that's very cool. The closest one to me is about 30 minutes away, not very practical. Most of the use mine had was on quiet streets and empty car parks, which is why I don't really bother using it anymore, the fun wore off.

A few questions: will you be racing in a stock league? Are you running it in on 5% nitro and working it up to a larger percentage? What's the highest percentage nitro they allow? Do you have one of those cool starter boxes (mines a pull start, but I always liked those magical boxes)?

GAFconfessions: I have never played any Metal Gear game.

Grab Metal Gear Solid off PSN, then get on this.

Not unlike Jint I've started in on the first after playing Revengeance (though I'm using an ex-rental I bought when I first got a PSOne in 2004) and am really enjoying it. Playing on easy because I cannot in to stealth but am a ways passed the disc change and I'm surprised by how much I've gotten in to it.

Jintor

I hadn't until now. I figured I might as well give them a shot.

MGS1 only clocked in at around 8 and a half hours. I knew a few solutions from just general videogame osmosis though.

I hadn't until now. I figured I might as well give them a shot.

I tried it once back when I bought it in 2004 alongside some other PS1 ex-rentals (think I got up to the tank boss that time?) but it got put aside for other things back then (probably Viewtiful Joe or Sonic Heroes or something) so this was basically a new experience. Really only gave it another chance because Revengeance put my foot in the door of the world, but I'm glad I did.

senahorse

Yeah, no need to go crazy on extra shit, that looks like a great unit right out of the box. The shocks just look plasticy in the pictures, but they might be different in person. The ones on my V-One-S were so shoddy looking, I had to get some better ones. Yours are adjustable, so that's already a win.

I'd imagine you'll have an easier time leaning on a size .12 engine, with a little less power to try and reign in. They're a little less quiet, but not by much.

Jealous of you having a track to race on, and so close by, that's very cool. The closest one to me is about 30 minutes away, not very practical. Most of the use mine had was on quiet streets and empty car parks, which is why I don't really bother using it anymore, the fun wore off.

A few questions: will you be racing in a stock league? Are you running it in on 5% nitro and working it up to a larger percentage? What's the highest percentage nitro they allow? Do you have one of those cool starter boxes (mines a pull start, but I always liked those magical boxes)?

The league is called "Gas Tourer" and here's a synopis of the rules:

These cars are 1/10th Scale 4WD Touring Cars.
They have a .12 size IC engine of less than 1hp and are an intermediate class.
They have a full range of suspension settings and are fully adjustable.
They run on foam tyres and have a 2 speed gearbox.
They mostly run on one of the short track options at our facility.

For 2013 we are offically adopting the ORRCA Gas Touring rules

ORRCA GT Rules Page

Generally this is for a few good reasons, the first being it puts us in line with a Qld wide based class for racing, which includes a yearly Gas Touring Qld Championship, being a good enduro type event for limited HP racing.

Secondly, the O.S. 12TG motor has proven a long term reliable performer, it's also proven to be easy to source, and because it's used in a Japan one make series, it's not likely to be discontinued anytime soon, and this guarantees long term supply.

At a club level we will still alow other motors for new racers to a point, we would highly prefer you stick to the 1hp limit, and unless you do stick with the ORRCA rules we can't include you in the yearly club championships.

The long version is here: http://www.orrcaqld.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ORRCA-Gas-tourer-rules-2.2.pdf

From there there is the Pro Tourer class which allows any engine modifications (to a point). But after watching those guys, I have long long way to go to get into that league.

They use 16% nitro and that's what I practiced with today. I have a Hudy starter box, I don't have a pull start.

Hudy_0020_Star_0020_Box_0020_1-8th_0020_and_0020_1-10th_0020_On_0020_Road_0020_Starter_0020_Box_0020_HD104400.jpg

x3n05, what speeds does the car get to?? Looks like it would be a lot of fun :)

Also, post some pictures of the car

At a guess, it does about 70km/h. In the pro-tourer class they hit 100 on the back straight.

edit: I had a couple of pics further down

Danoss

GAFconfessions: I have never played any Metal Gear game.

I never liked any of the ones I played. Also, my experience mirrors that of Dara O'Briain's here. I've set it to skip to the appropriate bit, but the whole show is worth watching and there is more on video games if you go back a few minutes.

Thanks for that info, mate. It's roughly what I would have expected.

You don't want a pull start, they suck in comparison. Handy if you don't want to lug around extra shit, but the starter boxes are just fantastic, I nearly shot my wad when I discovered they existed many years ago.

Have fun with it mate, it's a great hobby. It can be a bottomless money pit if you let it, much like any other hobby, but you've started in the right place with a very nice car.

All I can hear in my head is Opeth. Fuck they were good. Thanks again for the awesome hospitality Evlcookie! Also 0mi. Also nice to see Frawd! I totally should have called my mate before getting on the train though lol.

Also HOLY SHIT, Phantom Pain interview is a Fox Engine tech demo? I can actually believe that! I think even the monotone voice was a hint.

Nice!

Surgery went well I hope?
Yeah pretty well. She put Emla cream on which apparently is a big no no, despite having done it many times over the years. The anesthesiologist hates that it makes it harder according to the bitch of a nurse we had, once we talked to the anesthesiologist though he was nice as pie and didn't give a shit.

She was in the OR by 10am, I got called 45 mins later to pick her up. Had to wait another hour though because the stupid nurse forgot about us >_<

Looks like I smacked her a good one on the right cheek :)
She had a molar taken out too that was impacted by a smart tooth, that has been the biggest issue with bleeding so we couldn't take the Nurofen to take down the swelling. The actual Wisdom teeth were fine though. She is just sore as shit, painkillers don't seem to do much sadly.

Is UE3 experience handy? Bit of an open description!

Well I registered years ago, but was only approved a week ago. I lurked AusGAF threads a while back. The only guy I remember was from QLD and he hated everything.
That was Bernbaum right? He does like rocks though. A little too much if you ask me...

Tasmania.jpg

4aPrAQV.jpg
Come on! Even the German guy had to phone a friend to answer that brain buster!

EDIT: The fuck :/ I was sure that said Germany, not Invermay! I need some fucking sleep :/

Drank a Berliner Weiße (a sour beer, made sour with lactic acid) tonight, which was brewed with a couple of different yeasts, one of which was Brett (Brettanomyces yeast, often considered unwelcome except in sour and tart beers), and also flavoured with a little squid ink:

1fb87f888d4011e283e622000a1fb86d_7.jpg

Tastes much better than it looks!

legend166

Hey guys remember how I said Smith wasn't that bad? And how everyone ignores that he has a pretty good record batting in the top 4 for NSW?

Rezbit

Drank a Berliner Weiße (a sour beer, made sour with lactic acid) tonight, which was brewed with a couple of different yeasts, one of which was Brett (Brettanomyces yeast, often considered unwelcome except in sour and tart beers), and also flavoured with a little squid ink:

You're out of control, you've gone too far and must be stopped.

Deeku

Fly paper airplane notes to them!!
windows don't open:(

I am actually insanely jealous. Even if the buildings are kind of crappy compared to the other photo, it still looks really cool. Living up high, in the middle of the city! I bet all the lights look lovely at night. Take a night picture tooo.
Yeah, it's alright. Wan Chai is a pretty diverse sort of area with lots of different levels of food, culture, and people all squashed into one, so at least it makes things interesting! The place in the other pic was basically the expat business/finance dude district, so I was kinda out of place there being asian n everything lol.

But I like where I'm at now. Commute to work in cbd is only like 10 mins of walking/subway-ing which is cool, but the lack of interconnected malls means I have to walk on the street with the rad pollution. Probably gonna rock the surgical mask look when I start going to work next week!

Will get some night pics tonight :D
on that topic i vote we add "how long have you been lurking here for" to the list
i like this idea

Edit:

oh and mgs! finally got the vita workin online and downloaded the hd collection wooo

Shaneus

That reminds me. Back in my (much) younger days, I went to a friend's birthday party. It may have been a 21st, I'm not sure. Anyway, there was a "punch" that was made which was basically whatever alcohol was in his house.

It was that colour.

Also (and my apologies for the squeamish) but it also turned my... um... toilet paper (post-use) *exactly* the same colour for at least 24-48 hours. Scared the living hell out of me.

True story.

All I can hear in my head is Opeth.
All I can hear in my head is V8s. Glorious, sensuous, tantalizing F1 V8 engines.
*sigh*

PS. I'm glad your wife's surgery went well :) How long until she's back in the kitchen?

(I kid! I'm not that much of an arsehole, seriously. I leave the entire industry of being an arsehole to the employees of News Ltd.)

But what if my name is Barry Steakfries? :(

jambo

My gf is doing some live tech stuff for Fringe, and the venue has some questionable fire safety standards.

They're propping an emergency fire door open with a fire extinguisher...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom