• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
I like playing munchkin much more than I like reflecting on any game of munchkin I've played and realising every single one ends up with every player on the level 9 door having a war of attrition until someone accidentally wins.

But boy is it enjoyable to create a super overpowered character in the midgame and just fuck people over for the most petty of reasons.

legend166

Screw you guys and your fancy board games, I was trying to find Imaginiff on the weekend to play with my family, and it was nowhere to be found. Boo.

The wife is a fan of Game of Life but it is pretty hard to find an old style copy of the game. Drunken Monopoly played in a D&D style was always fun at uni. Without the personas I can see it would drag a bit.

Munchkin game design: pile on the leader.

Sounds like Mario Kart.

MTE

Looks like this man has taste in board games. But the big question is, what do you think of Munchkin?

Is OK. Would play again, having played twice.
Best played with people that won't get annoyed when you purposefully screw with them. As is Carcassonne.

Omikron

Yeah, my personal taste is for euros with little or no luck element. Or at least games where the luck is for the most part mitigated by actual gameplay choices.

Shaneus

The URL was to touch arcade, Check on your mobile like the rest of us at work!

Also the first page of gaming has multiple Polygon and Origin and Maxis threads going, read them all for maximum hilarity.
But I can see GAF, so people should be courteous enough to repost it so I can see it at work rather than having to bounce between my desktop and mobile. I can look like I'm doing work on a PC, I can't when I'm on my phone :(

Danoss

Forget Munchkin, lets talk about good games.

V7djjtk.jpg

6hP6Iiz.jpg

This is the coolest game kit I've ever bought. It's so simple, but just oozes theme that the game is designed to evoke. The rules are printed in a little notebook, it comes with custom cards with the events printed on them, cool skull (contempt) tokens as well as some dice. All this fits in a little burlap bag that it comes with. I think it's brilliant.

The Quiet Year by Joe McDaldno is a map-making game set in a post-apocalyptic/post-collapse community. You have driven off the faction you were at war with and obtained a year of relative peace. With this year you will use it to try and build up your community. There will be dramas, setbacks, and good and bad luck throughout. Here's the fluff:

For a long time, we were at war with The Jackals. But now, we’ve driven them off, and we have this – a year of relative peace. One quiet year, with which to build our community up and learn once again how to work together. Come Winter, the Frost Shepherds will arrive and we might not survive beyond that. But we don’t know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, there is an opportunity to build something.

Light on components and simple to play. All you need is the small rulebook, a deck of cards (or the custom ones above), some tokens, some six-sided dice and of course some pencil and paper. You decide, narrate and illustrate events as they happen, going from a very open-ended question or statement posed by the cards, often there are options where you can choose which question to answer on the cards. e.g. "The strongest among you dies. What caused the death?" or "The weakest among you dies. Who’s to blame for their death?"

After all is said and done, you have a map to show for your time spent playing the game. That map could be used to kick off another roleplaying game, or The Quiet Year could take place during an interim period in another campaign. Joe McDaldno has made roleplaying games in the past, and while this does feature roleplaying, it's different and it's cool and I like it.

Dead Man

Forget Munchkin, lets talk about good games.

V7djjtk.jpg

6hP6Iiz.jpg

This is the coolest game kit I've ever bought. It's so simple, but just oozes theme that the game is designed to evoke. The rules are printed in a little notebook, it comes with custom cards with the events printed on them, cool skull (contempt) tokens as well as some dice. All this fits in a little burlap bag that it comes with. I think it's brilliant.

The Quiet Year by Joe McDaldno is a map-making game set in a post-apocalyptic/post-collapse community. You have driven off the faction you were at war with and obtained a year of relative peace. With this year you will use it to try and build up your community. There will be dramas, setbacks, and good and bad luck throughout. Here's the fluff:

Light on components and simple to play. All you need is the small rulebook, a deck of cards (or the custom ones above), some tokens, some six-sided dice and of course some pencil and paper. You decide, narrate and illustrate events as they happen, going from a very open-ended question or statement posed by the cards, often there are options where you can choose which question to answer on the cards. e.g. "The strongest among you dies. What caused the death?" or "The weakest among you dies. Who’s to blame for their death?"

After all is said and done, you have a map to show for your time spent playing the game. That map could be used to kick off another roleplaying game, or The Quiet Year could take place during an interim period in another campaign. Joe McDaldno has made roleplaying games in the past, and while this does feature roleplaying, it's different and it's cool and I like it.

That looks and sounds amazing.

legend166

Guys I'm so tempted to go see Bruce Springsteen again on Friday night. If you appreciate live music I seriously recommend getting a ticket and going. Best live performer I've ever seen.

Shaneus

Yeah, I'm not generally captivated by board games (at least, the appearance of them) but that looks and sounds badarse.

So you actually generate a map in that game and that in turn can be used as a map for some other game? That's a pretty rad idea.

Danoss

That looks and sounds amazing.

Yeah, I'm not generally captivated by board games (at least, the appearance of them) but that looks and sounds badarse.

So you actually generate a map in that game and that in turn can be used as a map for some other game? That's a pretty rad idea.

Totally!

Indeed as you play the game, a map is generated with different features and whatnot as projects are completed or failed and resources come and go for various reasons (as decided by the players). Everyone gets to contribute to things that appear on the map. Playing is it's own reward, but having a souvenir at the end of the game is simply wonderful.

I'm not sure if using the finished map for other games was the intent behind the game, but I'm confident he knew that it would be used for exactly that. It's an engaging and fun way to create a map with your friends and using it to play something else just makes it so much more rewarding.

Jintor

Media Watch has a trophy called the Campbell Reid Perpetual Trophy for the Brazen Recycling of Other People's Work, named after a former editor of the Daily Telegraph. It's basically a dead fish with the words 'Carpe Verbatim' underneath it, which I thought was pretty clever.

Shaneus

Totally!

Indeed as you play the game, a map is generated with different features and whatnot as projects are completed or failed and resources come and go for various reasons (as decided by the players). Everyone gets to contribute to things that appear on the map. Playing is it's own reward, but having a souvenir at the end of the game is simply wonderful.

I'm not sure if using the finished map for other games was the intent behind the game, but I'm confident he knew that it would be used for exactly that. It's an engaging and fun way to create a map with your friends and using it to play something else just makes it so much more rewarding.
Awesome. I didn't actually know whether there were games that allowed use of one's own map (versus a pack-in one) but you learn something new everyday :) Now I just need to find friends who'd be up for playing that sort of thing!

Tried around a dozen new beers tonight. One a recreation from a 130 year old recipe.
It wasn't that great.

One beer was called Lando Kardashian, the one straight after the Millennium Falcon. How's that for kismet?

Yes I'm aware it's Kalrissian, so what?

Also apparently there's a swimming pool in Melbourne named after Harold Holt. That's hilarious.
This is true.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Vita with 4gb memory card for $150 from a friend. I'm thinking yes, on the basis I'll buy one eventually, and I don't see sub-$150 anytime soon.

Help me impulse GAF.

markot

Banned
Vita with 4gb memory card for $150 from a friend. I'm thinking yes, on the basis I'll buy one eventually, and I don't see sub-$150 anytime soon.

Help me impulse GAF.
Ive got a rock that will provide the same amount of fun and be a better paper weight.... 20 bucks! And itll still be useful a year from now!

Vita has no gaemz

has over 100

Has nothign but ports

What you're saying is that it's pretty much a 3DS, but with more original titles...

Its nothign like the 3DS

So I'll actually use it?

The Hobbit was indeed boring.

There was a ton of other replies to do but it is already late.

Glad you have someone IRL to talk to about shit Danoss! Goes a long way to maintaining sanity.

Help me impulse GAF.

Do you have PS+? If so you instantly have like 6 games.

With PS+, if you no longer want to pay up, do you lose access to 'your' games?

Yes. Until you resub. 12 months is usually around $50 without exploits or free months that they seem to throw around fairly often.

You keep any games/content you buy using the PS+ discount during sales obviously.

Once you resub all the PS+ freebies are unlocked for you again.

Oddly enough there are quite a few that are still unlocked even after lapsing, Stacking was one I noticed.

Have any interest in XCOM?
Hard as ballz punishing strategy game? One that has two difficulty settings: 1) kick in the ballz 2) kick in the ballz with spikey metal boot.

I hate myself so it seems up my alley. Why do you ask, oh sir?

I did play the old games, much to my ballz chagrin.

Gazunta

God damn it don't convince me to play Xcom for the rest of the night you son of a bitch

XCOM

Anyway guys the new Giana Sisters is out on XBLA and it is FUCK YES GOOD

Media Watch has a trophy called the Campbell Reid Perpetual Trophy for the Brazen Recycling of Other People's Work, named after a former editor of the Daily Telegraph. It's basically a dead fish with the words 'Carpe Verbatim' underneath it, which I thought was pretty clever.

Media Watch is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom