• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish this MP would shut up, he clearly has nfi.
I will take this opportunity to bash the National party again. Muppets.

Are many people here heading to PAX Aus?
Meeeee. Although I thought you passed away?

Holy shit. If the government legislated against geoblocking... damn. Would that be precedent setting internationally?
It would certainly set a precedent. In my pants. Of pure awesome.

Won't happen any time soon though.

Hey Shaneus! Deadlight is currently $3.75. You can finally pick it up! Joy!!

Thank me later.
Holy shit! Did Shaneus see this?!? Totally buy it at this price!

Although it is just okay. Art design is great, gameplay is basic and repetitive, story isn't fleshed out enough (heh).

Roulette

Although it is just okay. Art design is great, gameplay is basic and repetitive, story isn't fleshed out enough (heh).

Average game with silly ending. But hey, I finished it, unlike most of the crap I pick up. Art design is definitely its strong suit. I got it with some Amazon $10 pack that had some really good games in it (Iron Brigade, Mark of the Ninja etc.).

The Sony phone X or Z or whatever looks stunning too.

Average game with silly ending. But hey, I finished it, unlike most of the crap I pick up. Art design is definitely its strong suit. I got it with some Amazon $10 pack that had some really good games in it (Iron Brigade, Mark of the Ninja etc.).
I grabbed that pack too, awesome deal after the Editors Choice coupon! Already had MotN and Deadlight on XBLA too...

Honestly i prefer a sharehouse at the moment. Though i've been in Brisbane for 3 years now i still don't know many people outside of my work circle. And i don't like living in a flat / hotel-esque room :)
Ah okay that makes sense. You need to make more friends then! That way you can get a sharehouse with people that you will hang out with.

Avoid work people though. 24/7 with anyone will just lead to chocking them with a Lightning charge cable.

INQUIRY: “Is the differential between game pricing on Xbox Live in Australia and the US something that is an issue,” asks Committee Chair Nick Champion MP.

Marlow: “We don’t operate in a global market so we can’t tell one way or the other.”
WUT?

Omikron

Think Fred covers it (and now pie)

'we provide Visual Studio free with our partner program'

Hah.

I also find it really interesting that Adobe and no MS are pushing their cloud products so hard as being 'competitively' priced. Clearly they are going to make more money overall if you go for a subscription arrangement.

Geoblocking is a market restriction isn't it?

Free market would allow somone to resell US bought copies of MS products in Australia and undercut MS.

Sorry, my bad. Not saying what they are doing is an example of a free market at work, but charging with the market will pay is. Maybe capitalism would have been a better word than free market. There is a reason I dropped out of econ.

In other news Watto to captain Australia. Only the second ever Queensland born player to do it.
Edit: In a test. I'm failing at posting coherently today.

Fredescu

Sorry, my bad. Not saying what they are doing is an example of a free market at work, but charging with the market will pay is. Maybe capitalism would have been a better word than free market. There is a reason I dropped out of econ.

In my opinion, charging what the market will bear for a Mars bar is different to charging what the market will bear for items that are inputs for industries that are highly competitive globally.

Their products have been popularised (and even standardised) overseas at lower prices. The Australian market isn't big enough to dictate which operating system becomes an international standard. So the market bears it because it has to, to a degree, but due to the higher costs of inputs, Australian based IT is less globally competitive. The market bears it in the short term, but that same market will be (has been?) harmed in the long term.

Fred! Why is high street rental so expensive? That jeans chick who closed her Melbourne store said she was paying $50k a year in rent, that seems insane.

In other news Watto to captain Australia. Only the second ever Queensland born player to do it.
Edit: In a test. I'm failing at posting coherently today.
I bet he is the first to captain his country the match after being dropped too!

I bought ass creed 3 and its 18gb >.<
That is insane. I thought most WiiU units only have like 40GB? Even the PC version isn't that big!

Bad enough when I need to download a 6GB GoD game. Max Payne 3 was stupidly big. Like 6GB, then 3 extra downloads which came to 5Gb so a grand total of 11GB I think!

markot

Banned
Ass creed 3 says its 17gb on steam too >.<

I guess when you have a million people work on the game credits can take up alot of room...

Unity on PS platforms? Nice work Sony! They are making some nice moves for indies for the PS4 by the looks of it. This is the kind of stuff Nintendo should be doing, bringing middleware and developers into the fold so developers and publishers can clearly see how to make things work financially on the platform. Rather than just silence. And hope.

I guess you're paying for foot traffic. The right business can take good advantage of that.

What are the costs involved in owning one of those places and renting them out to businesses? I know we have a huge problem here with a lot of empty shops in the CBD that never get rented out because of complaints of high rent.

Would it be logical to charge lower rent? Just wondering if there are major overheads involved which leads to the owners just leaving them empty.

FThat is insane. I thought most WiiU units only have like 40GB? Even the PC version isn't that big!
WiiU has twice the screens. Double the polygons have to be crammed in and stuff.

Plus some additional gigs chucked in to make you feel like you've downloaded the patches and DLC that you'll never get.

Would it be logical to charge lower rent? Just wondering if there are major overheads involved which leads to the owners just leaving them empty.
Rates would probably be a bitch and dictate some of the additional cost. The rest would be opportunism.

Which high profile game/s is it that doesn't have the DLC, then?

Edit: just had a look. Pretty much every other game. Eh, you can't win 'em all.

Fredescu

What are the costs involved in owning one of those places and renting them out to businesses? I know we have a huge problem here with a lot of empty shops in the CBD that never get rented out because of complaints of high rent.

Not sure. Maybe they pay high council rates? It's possible some of them are stuck on interest only loans and need a certain level of rent to pay for their mortgage on the shop. If that were the case though, leaving it empty would be costing them a lot of money. Technically an oversupply should mean the prices will come down. If they're not, that could indicate a monopoly or collusion or something? Maybe one guy owns all the empty places and is playing hardball with rents?

Retail has tanked a bit and it's probably taking a while for everyone to catch up, landlords included.

markot

Banned
They should retail tanks then!

Anyone getting Bioshock >.>?

I want to see reviews, but are they doing a lame 'reviews after release' thing that lamers do these days?

Also the deal on gmg will be over by thence...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I want to see reviews, but are they doing a lame 'reviews after release' thing that lamers do these days?

Same for meeeeee. I've been itching to pull the trigger on GMG BioShock Infinite for the last few days, knowing I'm running out of time. But then I went and purchased a Vita with no games because I don't know what I'm doing with my money.

0mi doesn't count, he got it for free with some stupid hat! Fucking Valve!

Rates would probably be a bitch and dictate some of the additional cost. The rest would be opportunism.
That was the only cost I could think of.

Which high profile game/s is it that doesn't have the DLC, then?
Most of them. New DC fighting game won't have a Season Pass discount unlike all other consoles.

Ubisoft are really the main 3rd party supporter of the WiiU. Pretty much the only ones.

Not sure. Maybe they pay high council rates? It's possible some of them are stuck on interest only loans and need a certain level of rent to pay for their mortgage on the shop. If that were the case though, leaving it empty would be costing them a lot of money. Technically an oversupply should mean the prices will come down. If they're not, that could indicate a monopoly or collusion or something? Maybe one guy owns all the empty places and is playing hardball with rents?

Retail has tanked a bit and it's probably taking a while for everyone to catch up, landlords included.
The woman the other night was quite flabbergasted that 80% of her business was done over the internet where people couldn't even try on the clothes or feel the fabric! Makes less and less business sense to have stores open everywhere when more and more of the sales are being cannibalised into the online store.

I wasn't going to pick it up but after thinking about things I feel like I should despite the high price.

Irrational have always made unique, fantastic games that buck the trend at the time. Despite the original Bioshock not measuring up to what I was expecting from a spirtual successor to System Shock 2 it was still a very enjoyable experience with; atmosphere up to your neck, interesting catch 22 gunplay/plasmid play, a story that was tied into the gameplay to such a degree that it actually made sense to tell it through that medium rather than just as a book or movie.

Not to mention the decision to drop MP and to do future DLC content that will be story based, so actually useful stuff to me! Like the fantastic Minerva's Den.

I feel like I should reward 2K for funding this kind of game, with such a unique setting, with such unique gameplay design and such a unique take on the FPS genre.

It won't be System Shock 3. But it will be something just as high quality in its own right.

Also IGN paid for an exclusive review first up.

Fredescu

I'm in the money, I'm in the money.

Sportsbet said:
After all the hype... nothing really changed!

Obviously there's still a lot of confusion about what actually took place with the Labor leadership challenge yesterday.

Here's what we are doing, so it's fair for all of our customers who placed a bet on the Labor Leadership Challenge market:

1. Pay all bets for Gillard to win the Labor ballot as winners.
2. For those who backed Kevin Rudd or any other candidate, you can either have your bet refunded in full, or you can keep your bet live until the next federal Labor party leadership ballot - your choice. Please let us know by COB Friday 29 March whether you would like your bet refunded.
3. Anyone who backed Gillard and have already voided their bets, will have those bets paid as winners.

Unlike K-Rudd, everyone's a winner!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
budget for april worked out :(

already into a nice 400$ debt before the month begins... and that's removing the money i had designated to go into savings which isnt now :(

yay for living

That feeling when your son convinces the mother-in-law to cook lasagna instead of stupid seafood crepes, just with the power of one phone call.
Feels good man.

Totally worth all the financial burden. And emotional stress. And accelerated baldness and graying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom