• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

Another thing i'll ask AusGaf - so these past few weeks i've been having trouble with my mid to top back -- just general pains throughout the day. I've basically given this time to try out an chiropractor a friend recommended me, but i haven't seen the results i want.

I want to go to an actual physio and sort my back out -- does anyone have any recommendations for Briabane?

I'm also looking for new chairs for my work space as the chairs we have have tall arm bits, which i can't get under my low desk and therefore make me slouchh a bunch. Anyone have a good deak chair that doesn't have side handles

Shaneus

I need to go see a physio or chiro or something like that, but I never know which is the good one and which one is hokey, and who *specifically* is a good one to see. But I keep forgetting to chase it up :/

Likely an import copy, if my copies of Dishonoured (still yet to play) and WRC3 (barely played) are any indication.

PS. Still interested in that memory card, x3n05 ;)

is this a bad thing?

Another thing i'll ask AusGaf - so these past few weeks i've been having trouble with my mid to top back -- just general pains throughout the day. I've basically given this time to try out an chiropractor a friend recommended me, but i haven't seen the results i want.

I want to go to an actual physio and sort my back out -- does anyone have any recommendations for Briabane?

I'm also looking for new chairs for my work space as the chairs we have have tall arm bits, which i can't get under my low desk and therefore make me slouchh a bunch. Anyone have a good deak chair that doesn't have side handles
What side of Brisbane and how far out? There's a place out at Jindalee that sorted me out for torticolis and they seemed competent. If you're interested in their details, just PM me.

Omni

Some cool kids hanging around the house tonight. Dog is barking like mad... expect to hear some complaints tomorrow. One of the guys yelled "fuck up cunt" to my dog but when I went outside to check he was gone... I think. Gonna stay up a bit longer I think just in case they try something

Shaneus

Good luck buddy, I'm in before you! And you're not supposed to name a price! Let them name it! I bet you're the one guy at an auction who bids what the market value is worth :/

How come no-one ever told me about this site? Looks rad and the guy who maintains it should be in AusGAF:
http://www.retrogamingaus.com/

PS. If anyone wants a laugh this fine morning, Crescente reviews SSBB. It's old, but I only just saw it today.

Chiropractors aren't real doctors.

Do you exercise much (I recall you did a run a little while back, is that a regular thing?)? Not exercising won't help. Even just 20 minutes of walking will be enough. Do you wear a messenger bag? They can hurt backs.

And yeah, your chair probably isn't helping. Try encouraging yourself to stand up when taking a call, or compiling, or whatever you do frequently throughout the day. If your office is cool, see if they will offer standing desks, or better yet convertible ones. Wish my employer offered them...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Most of what a "good" chiropractors does in practice is no different from what the average physiotherapist does in terms of physical health care.. however in addition to that, it can be said that chiropractors are more or less just a poor man's physiotherapist who couldn't get into medical school, and the "bad" chiropractors must be avoided at all costs and are no different from 100% of alternative medical practitioners.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP for $22

$39 inc postage. People have had issues with Video Ezy in the past as they are a strange off shoot of WOW HD now. Still worth a shot at that price if you prefer retail to digital!

Do some Yoga!

Go check out Office Works of a decent size and they should have some floor stock to sit in and get a feel for. Main thing is to try the chair out first.

is this a bad thing?
Import generally means 2 week wait time at the least. Depends on how they secure their stock, I know BeatTheBomb generally have their import stock rushed to them so there isn't too much difference between pre-ordering a UK or AU copy from them.

After the first big Video Ezy sale a bunch of people here pre-ordered through them. A few ended up cancelling them due to not getting the game even a month after launch.

DUCKTALES WOO-OOO!
HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ALL IS FORGIVEN CACPOM

How come no-one ever told me about this site? Looks rad and the guy who maintains it should be in AusGAF:
He has popped in here before dude....

His Australian magazine cover collection is really fun to go back through.

Silly Shaneus!

Dead Man

Most of what a "good" chiropractors does in practice is no different from what the average physiotherapist does in terms of physical health care.. however in addition to that, it can be said that chiropractors are more or less just a poor man's physiotherapist who couldn't get into medical school, and the "bad" chiropractors must be avoided at all costs and are no different from 100% of alternative medical practitioners.

Pretty much. You can go to the student physios here for like $15. Maybe something similar in Brisbane?

Shaneus

He has popped in here before dude....

His Australian magazine cover collection is really fun to go back through.

Silly Shaneus!
You're not thinking of Rlan's collection, are you?

Anyway, if anyone else is still bored, read the first few posts from this guy. Absolutely incredible.

Wait, what's this about Ducktales and Capcom?

And, so I don't get confused, chiros are the herbal medicine equivalent of physios... is that correct? Laf, can you recommend anyone around Geelong area? Are physios even the sort of people that need recommendations, given that they're all basically at the same level of physiotherapyness?

No the Retro Gaming AU dude came in here and told us about the mag collection in the first place!

For Shaneus, sorry for the Holy.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

wait can I jam this into a vita or not

Nope. Pretty sure it is coming to PSN though!

It was a limited-ish run though so I'm holding onto my copy for sure!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EatChildren or anyone else interested I have a brand new 16GB Vita memory card(unopened) I will sell for a good price (whatever that is) if interested.

How much? My system only came with a 4GB card. 16GB would probably be better.

I'm playing Uncharted at the moment courtesy of PS+. It's pretty fun. Still early days. I do wish to one day see a shooter on a portable that doesn't have funky loose feeling shooting though. I assume its a processing limitation of this hardware, literally almost every single portable shooter I've ever played feels like it has goofy big hitboxes and loose shooting. Even stuff like Goldeneye/Perfect Dark on the N64 felt tighter and more "precise" to me (I'm explaining this poorly). The only portable shooter I can think of that felt really tight in its hitboxes and collision detection of shots was Metroid Prime: Hunters, but that might as well have been an Unreal Tournament mod so *shrug*.

Still, it's pretty good. I need to buy Wipeout. I liked the demo, sans the framerate. After I finish Uncharted I'll download Gravity Rush since I'm keen for that. Do PS+ games change ever month?

Do PS+ games change ever month?

Yeah they cycle in new ones every month, the old ones usually are up for 6-8 weeks for people to snap up.

You should know this stuff for 'work'!

Just bookmark the Blog and check it every now and then for the heads up on what games are free at what point, this is the latest bunch.

In summary
Leaving PS Plus in April:
3rd April: Mass Effect 3
3rd April: Mortal Kombat
3rd April: Guardians of Middle Earth
10th April: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
24th April: Puddle

Entering PS Plus in April:
3rd April: Okami HD
3rd April: Lord of the Rings: War in the North
3rd April: The Cave (Ed: ZOMG BOMBA)
10th April: Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (Ed: ZOMG YAYZ)
24th April: Thomas Was Alone

Shaneus

I don't think we got MK though, did we? Or ME3? Definitely got MGS and Puddle, though.

What's the bet we don't get Okami?

PS. I bet they fuck Duck Tales like they (kinda) did with Rocket Knight. That was a bad "update", wasn't it?

How much? My system only came with a 4GB card. 16GB would probably be better.

I'm playing Uncharted at the moment courtesy of PS+. It's pretty fun. Still early days. I do wish to one day see a shooter on a portable that doesn't have funky loose feeling shooting though. I assume its a processing limitation of this hardware, literally almost every single portable shooter I've ever played feels like it has goofy big hitboxes and loose shooting. Even stuff like Goldeneye/Perfect Dark on the N64 felt tighter and more "precise" to me (I'm explaining this poorly). The only portable shooter I can think of that felt really tight in its hitboxes and collision detection of shots was Metroid Prime: Hunters, but that might as well have been an Unreal Tournament mod so *shrug*.

Still, it's pretty good. I need to buy Wipeout. I liked the demo, sans the framerate. After I finish Uncharted I'll download Gravity Rush since I'm keen for that. Do PS+ games change ever month?
Yay or nay on Lumines, tiger? Like I mentioned, I have no real attachment to my cart now I have it for free via PSN+, but figured you might be interested still.

I don't think we got MK though, did we? Or ME3? Definitely got MGS and Puddle, though.

What's the bet we don't get Okami?

PS. I bet they fuck Duck Tales like they (kinda) did with Rocket Knight. That was a bad "update", wasn't it?

We didn't get Mortal Kombat obviously. We got that other LotR game instead.

Also we did get Mass Effect 3, still up there now.

Duck Tales is being done by WayForward so hold your fucking tongue until it is released! They rarely fuck up, even when they get projects dumped on them. One of those rare developers who can make the best of a bad situation. Would be great to see someone like Sony pick them up and use them to their full potential rather than all this scattershot contract work.

Oh and I see no reason why we wouldn't get Okami.

Fusebox

Banned
Good luck buddy, I'm in before you! And you're not supposed to name a price! Let them name it! I bet you're the one guy at an auction who bids what the market value is worth :/

I bid one miiiiiiillion dollars.

Btw I'm selling my copy of Senran Kagura for Vita if anyone is interested.

We didn't get Mortal Kombat obviously. We got that other LotR game instead.
Didn't we get Lego Batman PSP instead of the Vita version and then when it was for PS3 we got Gotham City: Imposters instead.

and while we're on the subject:

PS+ offer: Buy 1 Year get 3 additional months.

15months for $69.95 (or $4.66 per month). Basically pays for itself if you only played the games currently available for it, even if some of the games are of questionable quality/appeal:

PS3
LittleBigPlanet2
inFAMOUS 2
Motorstorm: Apocalypse
Mass Effect 3
Dead or Alive 5
Quantum Conundrum
F1 Race Stars
Joe Danger2: The Movie
LotR: Guardians of Middle Earth

Vita:
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Puddle

Jintor

Wrapped Brutal Legend again. God, that ending is even more of a clusterfuck than I remember. Some of the final cutscenes are almost storyboards they feel so incomplete.

Still, an amazing environmental world they built. Just wish there was more interesting things to do in it.

markot

Banned
I need to go see a physio or chiro or something like that, but I never know which is the good one and which one is hokey, and who *specifically* is a good one to see. But I keep forgetting to chase it up :/

Likely an import copy, if my copies of Dishonoured (still yet to play) and WRC3 (barely played) are any indication.

PS. Still interested in that memory card, x3n05 ;)

tumblr_llyhq3eTep1qc70t1o1_500.png

stonedwal

I am forever lurking - used to post on AusGAF a lot more, but I stopped writing about video games and went back to working as a CPA. Free time is at a premium.

Couple of things stopping the magazine cover project getting finished, but the main one is access to magazines and the tedium of scanning. Plenty of people have helped out over the years, so I'm happy we've got to where we are.

I'd love to have full sets of NMS, Megazone and other out of print Aussie mags up there, but most of the scanners I talk to say that it takes about 8 hours to do a good scan job, add that to the hundreds of dollars and hours of time it'd take to get a set of the mags and it becomes a bit of a pipe dream. Then there's all the copyright guff.

Man I am so down at the moment, I've been unemployed for about 4 months but have 2 years waiting experience. The last time I was looking for a job everyone was like a year or two experience is required and that's fine. Fast-forward two years later and every hotel, restaurant and takeaway place is asking for 3-5 years experience or else I won't get a job. I am so fucking sick of these managers implying that you need to be in a waiting job for half a decade to carry a bunch of plates. It's fucking retarded and I want a goddamned job. I've been volunteering at a church making coffee in the meantime hoping something like that added to my resume would be a golden ticket but jesus fucking christ this is some rage-inducing stuff.

New Archer was fucking fantastic. That final gag had me rofl. Perfect comedic writing.

Also Bioshock Infinite pre-order cancelled (Anna Karenina spoilers within!)

Thanks for the tips/info, gents! Thanks for popping in here too, stonedwal :)
TOLD YOU

Something that some people may find interesting:
WipEout: The rise and fall of Sony Studio Liverpool
I haven't read it yet, but it's Eurogamer so you know it's good.
Thanks big ears, always love these kinds of retrospectives.

PS. Something something Australians don't know how lucky they are (it actually seems to be a decent read, from The Guardian in the UK)
No shit. Nice to see someone lay it out nicely though. Despite my constant bitching and complaining there is no fucking way I would leave this country. Especially now that I have a son and a wife. No chance in hell.

Man I am so down at the moment, I've been unemployed for about 4 months but have 2 years waiting experience. The last time I was looking for a job everyone was like a year or two experience is required and that's fine. Fast-forward two years later and every hotel, restaurant and takeaway place is asking for 3-5 years experience or else I won't get a job. I am so fucking sick of these managers implying that you need to be in a waiting job for half a decade to carry a bunch of plates. It's fucking retarded and I want a goddamned job. I've been volunteering at a church making coffee in the meantime hoping something like that added to my resume would be a golden ticket but jesus fucking christ this is some rage-inducing stuff.
Where do you live? Down here they are desperate as fuck for anyone who knows how to write an order down on a notepad properly, let alone carry more than 3 plates at a time. I'm actually tempted to take a weekend position at a cafe we frequent.

Jintor

*quietly shifts Tolstoy back down the bucketlist another year until I've forgotten the spoiler*

I guess I'll read Dostoyevsky first, then...

Where do you live? Down here they are desperate as fuck for anyone who knows how to write an order down on a notepad properly, let alone carry more than 3 plates at a time. I'm actually tempted to take a weekend position at a cafe we frequent.

Brisbane, I feel like I frequent all the restaurant strips more than I do my own University.

Shaneus

No shit. Nice to see someone lay it out nicely though. Despite my constant bitching and complaining there is no fucking way I would leave this country. Especially now that I have a son and a wife. No chance in hell.
It popped up on my FB feed a few times, so I figured it's worth sharing here, too. Whilst I may not know what 80% of my FB "friends" think about such matters, I'm glad there are at least some who can find an article like that to give them some sense of perspective.

Dead Man

Ugh. Back to work after 7 hours at home :( 16 hours of fun times, another 7 hours home, then back to work again! The things you do when the relief workers are sick.

Thanks for the tips/info, gents! Thanks for popping in here too, stonedwal :)

Something that some people may find interesting:
WipEout: The rise and fall of Sony Studio Liverpool
I haven't read it yet, but it's Eurogamer so you know it's good.

PS. Something something Australians don't know how lucky they are (it actually seems to be a decent read, from The Guardian in the UK)

Both good reads, cheers.

Kritz

Banned
King of Tokyo impressions:

Played three games, one once. Sister got the other two.
Both times I died were from not paying attention to what cards were out - both were from 'do 3 damage to the other monser' cards.
Man, game goes fast. People weren't kidding.
Rolling big dice is fun. Even if there's no skill involved, the actual act of rolling 6-7 big chunky dice is pretty fun.
With 3 players it's alright, but I found that 2/3 games were won by the person actively trying not to be in tokyo.
The cards add a tiny bit of strategy to the game, but the games we played, we barely ever drew more than 1 card each.
Father almost won by having victory points. He ended up at 19 when my sister rolled a lucky 5 hit. I was sceptical that you could even win by victory points, but I guess if you actively go for them you can sneak in a victory.

Will try and get some 4-5 player games in some time. Maybe try and have a board game day with some friends.

EDIT: I will note though that it's strange how ambiguous certain cards can be.
Or how certain cards are incredibly overpowered considering their cost

E.g., a card that allows you to heal by spending an energy. It doesn't specify any restrictions, such as how often you can use it. So it effectively turns every energy side on the dice into health. At that the card doesn't say it doesn't work in tokyo, and the rules only forbid healing via the hearts on the dice. All that for only 3 energy cubes to buy it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Uncharted: Golden Abscess is kinda eh. It's good in a "they made a portable Uncharted" kind of way, but that's about it. Fun enough.

Yay or nay on Lumines, tiger? Like I mentioned, I have no real attachment to my cart now I have it for free via PSN+, but figured you might be interested still.

Sure. How much do you want?

Yeah they cycle in new ones every month, the old ones usually are up for 6-8 weeks for people to snap up.

You should know this stuff for 'work'!

Just bookmark the Blog and check it every now and then for the heads up on what games are free at what point, this is the latest bunch.

I'm only just recently a PS+ user so I've used the absence of such a service as an excuse to neglect Sony :p.

Cheers. I'll grab Okami next month. Not interested in Virtue's. Seems like a good service though. I like that it's all just bonus content, and not pay-for-necessary-services HELLO MICROSOFT.

Dead Man

Choice has published guides to circumvent geoblocking, LOL.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-23/circumvent-geo-block-to-buy-cheap-software-choice/4590210

Consumer advocacy group Choice has called on Australians to circumvent the technology that allows major software companies like Microsoft and Apple to charge higher prices for their products.

Three giant IT companies - Microsoft, Apple and Adobe - gave evidence to a Senate inquiry yesterday as to why their goods are more expensive in Australia compared to other markets.

Choice spokesman Matt Levey says the consumer group has published guidelines to help consumers circumvent geo-blocking, which prevents people from buying the cheaper, identical products available in other countries.

"There's one particular creative suite product from Adobe which currently has a $1,200 price difference between the US price and the Australian price," he said.

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-an...pping-online/navigating-online-geoblocks.aspx

Cheers. I'll grab Okami next month. Not interested in Virtue's. Seems like a good service though. I like that it's all just bonus content, and not pay-for-necessary-services HELLO MICROSOFT.
Regardless of your interest, it's always worth "purchasing all the available games. Once you've purchased them you down download them at any time. Once they've been removed from the service they are no longer available to access. Therefore it's worthwhile buying everything in the off-chance you'll want to play it later.

Choice has published guides to circumvent geoblocking, LOL.
Shots fired!

EatChildren

I thought it was pretty decent, starts slow then picks up. Bossfights are an atrocity though.

Regardless of your interest, it's always worth "purchasing all the available games. Once you've purchased them you down download them at any time. Once they've been removed from the service they are no longer available to access. Therefore it's worthwhile buying everything in the off-chance you'll want to play it later.

I thought the way it worked was once a month was over you could no longer grab that month's PS+ games? So if I were to, hypothetically, download Virtue's Last Reward in April, I would no longer be able to play it once May hit.

Or do you mean it's just not available to download, but if it's stored on your system you can still play it?

Arksy

So that's what all those yellow t shirt wearing fools were doing ;) What was it for?

The Adelaide University Engineering Society holds a pubcrawl once a year. It's not so much as a pub crawl as a pub swarm as it's basically become the Adelaide University pub crawl. It usually pulls around 5k people. (At least that's how many shirts they sold).

So yeah, lots of engies + lots of non-engies + lots of beer = giving the police some work to do for the night. The police presence last night in the CBD was insane.

Frawdder

The Adelaide University Engineering Society holds a pubcrawl once a year. It's not so much as a pub crawl as a pub swarm as it's basically become the Adelaide University pub crawl. It usually pulls around 5k people. (At least that's how many shirts they sold).

So yeah, lots of engies + lots of non-engies + lots of beer = giving the police some work to do for the night. The police presence last night in the CBD was insane.
Oh my, I had heard about how big the Adelaide Uni Engineering pub crawl was but didn't realise it was of that size in your picture. Crazy.

I thought the way it worked was once a month was over you could no longer grab that month's PS+ games? So if I were to, hypothetically, download Virtue's Last Reward in April, I would no longer be able to play it once May hit.

Or do you mean it's just not available to download, but if it's stored on your system you can still play it?
This is the way it goes: there are a bunch of games that will be available for a long period of time. For example, Uncharted and Gravity Rush have been available since PS+ Vita games were offered. Once a month they offer a couple of different games which are then swapped out the next month.

If you fail to "purchase" a game while it's on offer, you miss out on playing that game. However, if you "purchase" a game, it remains in your PSN download list, like any game that you've purchased from the service. What that means is that for as long as you subscribe to PS+, you can download that game and play it.

That's why it's worth purchasing every game whenever they become available. Sure, you may not want to play it now, but you may in the future. Someone you know may want to play it (if you don't mind lending out your systems). It's better to have the option, I feel.

The best way to purchase the games is via the SEN store. It's quicker, easier, and doesn't automatically start downloading to any device. If you do it via the PS3/Vita stores, you will then have to cancel the download. It's not a big inconvenience, but quicker and easier is better.

Then all you have to do is access your "Purchase History" on your PS3 or Vita and download the game you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom