• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting aside what you'd get as takeway from either a greek or turkish/ middle-eastern restaurant in Australia...
My experience was travelling the region for a month, not local takeaway (though there's quite a bit locally). Not a huge amount of experience, sure, but it was enough for me to get my half-baked impression.

I'd say Greece had the larger amount of diversity (especially with things like pastitsio having no Turkish/Serbian/Bosnian equivalent), but there are heaps of things that are virtually the same, with only minor differences between regions (e.g. spanakopita may as well just be burek, a plate of meat with bread is pretty much the same with some minor spice differences, similar foods wrapped in vine leaves, and so on).

One of the great joys of travelling for me is regional foods and after a month travelling through that area I barely felt like I'd experienced much variety because it was all so similar. Sure there are minor differences (like you say, more/less spicy), but to me it was close enough to be negligible.

If I was going to be making equally bad comparisons I'd be saying Thai and Cambodian (and probably Myanmar-ese), not Japanese and Thai. :)

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If no one else answers regarding Civ 5 in the next few hours, I'll grab it thanks. I assume if someone else butts in before, say, 5pm, they want it more than I do.

Dead Man

you have to be his friend.

I've done worse. If you want it though Cod feel free.

Edit: PS might be not broken, fancy reinstall system setup menu might have saved the day. Drive is still noisy as shit though :/

Edi2: Nope, spoke too soon. All I want to do is install this fucking game you cocks!

I've done worse. If you want it though Cod feel free.

Edit: PS might be not broken, fancy reinstall system setup menu might have saved the day. Drive is still noisy as shit though :/

Edi2: Nope, spoke too soon. All I want to do is install this fucking game you cocks!

Tried compressed air?

Shaneus

My Ozgameshop order for Bioshock Infinite became a limited edition. :) Email says I'll be getting the artbook too. :D
Do they all do that, or was that just a fluke?

I suppose it's about equal in value as the GMG deal, with 50 billion games for free when you preorder.

Wait, was that a DD code or full retail box?

That reminds me, I'd kill for PC games to be sold in proper retail boxes... they don't do that anymore, do they?

PS. While looking for pictures of game boxes, I just found THE BEST SITE EVER. Scans of adventure game boxes, and when you click on them... SCANS OF ALL THEIR CONTENTS! It's a substantial list, too. About 50 Sierra On-Line games, and it looks like a healthy collection of LucusFilm Games ones.

Edit: Okay, this is rad:
BVIru0T.png

3D!

Have to say though, I had another compilation box with three Sierra sequels (PQ2, SQ2 and KQ2... bought from an OziSoft store? I'm sure that's what it was) and the comic was pretty rad.

teekun

PC games in retail boxes were awesome when there was actually stuff in that box besides the game discs. As soon as they were reduced to a paper insert and a disc in a paper sleeve, there stopped being much reason to have anything physical.

The last well-packaged PC game I remember buying was Neverwinter Nights. It wasn't even a special edition and it still came with that awesome spiral-bound abridged D&D handbook.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
PC games in retail boxes were awesome when there was actually stuff in that box besides the game discs. As soon as they were reduced to a paper insert and a disc in a paper sleeve, there stopped being much reason to have anything physical.

The last well-packaged PC game I remember buying was Neverwinter Nights. It wasn't even a special edition and it still came with that awesome spiral-bound abridged D&D handbook.

Blizzard still rock the well packaged PC games

Dead Man

RIP Microprose.

10Kls.jpeg

Edit:
Anyone here into Daft Punk?

So, I've known about this since February, but SH Figuarts Daft Punk just revealed:

486294_570562809629555_1246799902_n-noscale.jpg

Fusebox

Banned

I remember Elite on the C64 came with a novella set in that universe. Love stuff like that.

The last few games I've bought have been for Vita. Open the case, there's nothing in there but a cart. Not a shred of paper in sight. :(

Shaneus

Anyone have DM's other contact details? I was enjoying his input in the F1 threads (mainly because he was agreeing with me and calling fuckheads out, but still).

Yeah they do. You can even get copies of Frozen Synapse, Super Meat Boy, Tales of Monkey Island, etc from EBGames!
Actual cardboard boxes, not DVD covers. Are they in legit boxes?

PS. You were right about those last few Archer episodes. Once I got my NAS back up and running (long story, almost lost everything) and watched them... holy shit. The Korean one and the people smuggler ones were fucking GOLD.

Cardboard case around the DVD container! Even ToMI came in a box. SMB had a T-Shirt and everything! Usually they have a postcard or some shit too.

Dunno, just got a random email.

Thanks. :)

DD code.

They ran out of codes so they are giving you the Premium retail edition to make up for having to wait for it to be delivered? DD codes are out of stock now.

Kritz

Banned
BIOSHOCK INFINITE ONE HOUR IMPRESSION

+ the shooting feels really good
+ oh my graphics
+ dem arts
+ introduction noncombat stuff was really good
+ First PC shooter in FOR EVER that works without using iron sights. You're just as accurate without them as you are with them. The only advantage you get is that you move slower. And by advantage, I mean, 'consideration for console players'.

- Gamey elements during noncombat introduction was dumb as shit. Why are there coins everywhere. Why does nobody care that I'm stealing their food. Where are my question marks.
- Mechanical contradiction regarding fall damage
- Some of the keybinding is weird. Q is, like, a standard for switching weapons. Why did you bind switch weapons to E?
- No feet
- When you are sonic the hedgehog it's weird because all you are is a floating gun going 60kmph down this fucking grind rail
- Why bother giving me camera control during cutscenes when you just awkwardly snap the view back

Game sets up a lot of narrative hooks right off the bat. I like that, I think. As long as they get resolved.

Was the PC standard edition. Uber version had a head and BIG artbook!

Regardless of how you feel about Anita Sarkeesian, at the very least you have to give her credit for making females in gaming a talked about topic. A MUCH needed talked about topic.

If it were not for her spotlight on this issue I wouldn't expect to see this brilliant Jim Sterling piece which absolutely nails some harsh truths about gaming at the moment. No judging, just harsh truths that are a fact at the moment.

(POSSIBLE BIOSHOCK SPOILER IMAGES NOT REALLY SPOILED, JUST TRAILERS BUT STILL YOU MIGHT BE ON BLACK OUT SO LOOK AWAY WHEN IT GETS COLOURFUL)

Also this is a very very very eloquent response to the Damsel in Distress trope focus videos.

Jintor

I'm poking through the (free sections of) the GDC Vault. Some really interesting stuff in here. I hope the X-Com retrospective gets shoved in here, the high profile stuff generally does.

Shaneus

Was the PC standard edition. Uber version had a head and BIG artbook!

Regardless of how you feel about Anita Sarkeesian, at the very least you have to give her credit for making females in gaming a talked about topic. A MUCH needed talked about topic.

If it were not for her spotlight on this issue I wouldn't expect to see this brilliant Jim Sterling piece which absolutely nails some harsh truths about gaming at the moment. No judging, just harsh truths that are a fact at the moment.

(POSSIBLE BIOSHOCK SPOILER IMAGES NOT REALLY SPOILED, JUST TRAILERS BUT STILL YOU MIGHT BE ON BLACK OUT SO LOOK AWAY WHEN IT GETS COLOURFUL)

Also this is a very very very eloquent response to the Damsel in Distress trope focus videos.
John Riccitello resigned?

What sale does that fall under? Midweek/daily?

What sale does that fall under? Midweek/daily?

Indie Sale. Tons cheap. Picked up a few myself (already have Broken Sword DRM freeeeee).

Also this quote from the Eurogamer Wipeout retro is very damn true

Thompson suggests WipEout failed to reinvent itself throughout the course of its life. "It's not a fashion statement of its time, whereas the original WipEout was," he says.

"What I would have liked to have seen - and I don't know whether the business would have supported it - was WipEout to evolve in its look and its music and its fashion, because it was still harking back to The Designers Republic thing. That's the past. That was my youth, not the youth of today. What are they into? You want to write that game with the twenty-somethings who are writing games now, and say, 'Right, you take it.' Call it WipEout. That's the dynamic. But what's the aesthetic? What's the soundtrack? What's the look? What's the design ethic?

"It's difficult when there's an idea that the success of a project is down to a specific look or a specific aesthetic and there's a pressure on you to recreate that time and time again, because if you don't, it's not WipEout.

"But I don't think that's what WipEout is. WipEout's not an aesthetic. It's a time capsule. And the time capsule should be updated. You should open up the box and pour more stuff when you do another iteration. That would give you another time capsule from 2012."
It was always still WipEout, not something cutting edge anymore. Wipeout HD was amazeballs, but it was only ever a remake. It was never the reinvention it needed (i.e. System Shock 2 -> Bioshock -> Bioshock Infinite).

Jintor

Urgh. Stupid finances... huge urge to spend money right now, but gotta restrain myself. No more food court food... gotta stick to all these games I already have.

Deeku

^^^looool

I just realised I haven't touched my portables ever since I got an iphone 2 weeks ago:eek: Been mostly playing the kairosoft stuff and peggle!

Shaneus

Indie Sale. Tons cheap. Picked up a few myself (already have Broken Sword DRM freeeeee).

Also this quote from the Eurogamer Wipeout retro is very damn true

It was always still WipEout, not something cutting edge anymore. Wipeout HD was amazeballs, but it was only ever a remake. It was never the reinvention it needed (i.e. System Shock 2 -> Bioshock -> Bioshock Infinite).
Ah, didn't realise Broken Sword was considered "indie".

And too right about Wipeout. Sadly, I think that's what I love about it, though. It's very "a view of the future from the past" kinda thing, almost like the Hackers movie (even though it was present day, I think you know what I mean).

Yeah, that's definitely what I love about it. That ultra clean, sterile look it has, along with that very specific aesthetic (almost a little bit Blade Runner... but with a good dose of Equilibrium thrown in) just sends me into a frenzy. But I don't think that's what any game is about ever now. Kinda like PGR... I want something that gives me a fuckload of style without smothering it in dystopian-ness or bro-ness or some kind of message. Like James Bond.

Ugh, ramble over.

So, the guys that made The Neverhood are making another claymation game! There's also a post in there about some guys who managed to get Neverhood working on modern computers! It said you needed the original CD, but the setup.exe weighed in at 600mb so I tried my luck, and it worked anyway.

I'd never played it before, so I just gave it a quick go and it's fucking awesome.

PS. You were right about those last few Archer episodes. Once I got my NAS back up and running (long story, almost lost everything) and watched them... holy shit. The Korean one and the people smuggler ones were fucking GOLD.

I watched the first season of archer and stopped watching for some reason. Should I start from where I left off, or can I skip some of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom