• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Django Unchained, I really enjoyed it.

Haven't watched GoT Ep 1 yet, Still working my way through S2. I should finish it one of these days.

Shaneus

You have to be an actual developer to go though, yeah?

Can I ask in what capacity you were able to go, Ventron? For a particular developer?

Ventron

You have to be an actual developer to go though, yeah?

Can I ask in what capacity you were able to go, Ventron? For a particular developer?

You don't have to be a developer. I went for myself as a hobbyist. There were a ton of students there with CVs.

Fusebox

Banned
quick ausgaf, ssx or okami hd.

WHICH DO I CHOOSE?

Not fucking Okami HD.

Can't believe I paid $20 for that junk and now it's free on PS+ anyway and I haven't even made it through the intro yet. That chattery fake voice noise and the insanely slow unskippable walls of text were just killing my high. I've tried to sit through it at least 3 times and it just does my head in.

Anyone here use spotify?

Premium since the week it started in the US, I love Spotify. Why?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
usodifhsdofh fucking racist australian threads.

sick to shit of them.

i'm so close to going out in a blaze of glory in the next america thread.

Stackboy

What's up Ausgaf? Been away for a month, what have I missed? Recap please.

Spent 3 weeks in the states. Saw plenty of Ice Hockey, road tripped from DC down to Florida, went to Disneyworld with my niece and nephew, saw a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral, went to Boston and PAX, met Cliffy B and Tim Schafer.

Oh, and how good is Bioshock Infinite!!

Spent 3 weeks in the states. Saw plenty of Ice Hockey, road tripped from DC down to Florida, went to Disneyworld with my niece and nephew, saw a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral, went to Boston and PAX, met Cliffy B and Tim Schafer.

Recap is everything was less awesome than what you got up to you lucky s.o.b.!

Shaneus

usodifhsdofh fucking racist australian threads.

sick to shit of them.

i'm so close to going out in a blaze of glory in the next america thread.
I went in there, thought of a few things I could say... bit my tongue and closed the tab. I've subbed to that thread but the one thing I've learned about those sorts of threads is that you can NEVER convince the holier-than-thou posters of anything ever, so don't even try. Best to just let the thread fizzle out on it's own.

Only thing those threads are good for are recruiting Australians to AusGAF.

Sackboy, The Lucky Cunt.

AssCreed Anthology (1, 2, 2B, 2R & 3 along with SOME DLC content, not all) for $70 on 360, $86 on PS3 delivered from Amazon.

If anyone else is just being polite and not taking anything, please speak up and claim a game. I'd much rather that someone (anyone!) get some use out of them rather than go to waste.
Fine, I'll take Bioshock Infinite then!

Rented Skyfall + Dredd from the video store on blu-ray. Fun movie night ahead!
Both are 5/5 movies, loved them both for their own reasons. Would love to see more Dredd in that style.

Django Unchained, I really enjoyed it.
Same here, his best since Jackie Brown.

Holy crap, book turned up I bought for my son's birthday and its like.... huge. ~45cm x 30cm or something.
I love board books, kids books are so fucking cheap from overseas compared to here. Picked up board book version of the Hairy Mclary books for like $8 each. Also grabbed her 40 year old classic My Cat Likes To Hide In Boxes, lolcats forever!

Every time you post I hate you moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

How was the rocket launch? That is on my bucket list.

I went in there, thought of a few things I could say... bit my tongue and closed the tab. I've subbed to that thread but the one thing I've learned about those sorts of threads is that you can NEVER convince the holier-than-thou posters of anything ever, so don't even try. Best to just let the thread fizzle out on it's own.

Only thing those threads are good for are recruiting Australians to AusGAF.

They are handy for adding ignorant fucks to the ignore list. This dude does not abide reading closeminded comments on message boards.

lexi

Banned

It's a fantastic game but never have I had such an urge to finish up a gameplay segment just so I could see more story. I think I might actually enjoy a 2nd playthrough more.

Going to Lansmash this Saturday?

We've recently changed our office jukebox from iTunes to Spotify, and I quite like it. The big plus for me was the open playlist, to encourage the team to add their own music choices. With iTunes people would have to GET UP from their desks and WALK UP TO TEN WHOLE METRES to the PC running iTunes before spending up to THIRTY SECONDS copying mp3s over. IT WAS LIKE A LIVING NIGHTMARE.

I can neither confirm or deny the allegation that the office playlist is currently 99% indie rock from the early to mid 90s.

Can I work with you? Spotify is awesome.

Omikron

I can see things like first post here being the norm for a while.

:/

We used to play jRPGs a fair bit together, both taking turns to play through parts of the story or whatever. But haven't done that in a looooong time.

Lots of board gaming though!

I love board books, kids books are so fucking cheap from overseas compared to here. Picked up board book version of the Hairy Mclary books for like $8 each. Also grabbed her 40 year old classic My Cat Likes To Hide In Boxes, lolcats forever!.

For sure, but mostly been buying regular books now / borrowing tons from the library (best thing ever).

Kritz

Banned
Oh man, GDC was an absolute whirlwind of awesome. Anyone who has any interest in developing videogames, go, and chat with tons of higher-ups in the industry. It is well worth the high cost.

EDIT: And my favourite bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zwWvoP4z8m4#t=300s

Seems like the gaming side doesn't like that video so much. :p

(I actually liked it - it's nice to see people pointing out how PR hypes up things as the latest craze, when in actuality it's just another fucking shooter with some interesting cutscenes)

Fusebox

Banned
We used to play jRPGs a fair bit together, both taking turns to play through parts of the story or whatever. But haven't done that in a looooong time.

Lots of board gaming though!

For sure, but mostly been buying regular books now / borrowing tons from the library (best thing ever).
Library here is pretty shit, also the quality of the books has been a bit yucky tbh :/

Geelong one was pretty great though.

I need to pick up more board games for wifey time, working together on RCT or SC4 has been fun even though it gets a bit boring. Maybe Diablo 3 could work out well with on screen co-op. Another LBP would be nice!

Seems like the gaming side doesn't like that video so much. :p

(I actually liked it - it's nice to see people pointing out how PR hypes up things as the latest craze, when in actuality it's just another fucking shooter with some interesting cutscenes)
People point it out all the time though, I can understand the piece coming across as lazy and ineffective.

RPS has been doing the best job of it these last few months, culminating in the recent Battlefield 4 piece which became more of a media wide opinion, showing that even a lot of the media itself understands how ineffective it is becoming.

The first reply? Why is that a bad thing? Unless you're referring to the OP itself, in which case... ugh.
First reply made an assumption that they knew the OP enough that it was a slight based upon gender, rather than taking the simplest, most expected reasoning that it was a reaction of the master becoming overshadowed by the pupil.

No need to instantly whip the pitchforks out it's holder so quickly.

Serious? That sound crazy to me. Not only was Jackie Brown a snoozefest but since then he's made Kill Bill 1 and 2 and Inglourious Basterds.

I should qualify that as best for my tastes, all three of those above movies are some of the best entertainment of the last decade-ish. Basterds especially is a fun movie to put on because of the vastly swinging moods of the movie.

I enjoyed Jackie Brown for the throwback performances and the delicious writing mainly.

Fusebox

Banned
I enjoyed Jackie Brown for the throwback performances and the delicious writing mainly.

Y'know, I first saw JB when it came out and I don't think I've seen it again since. I really need to sit down one day and rewatch it coz I'm sure the older me will find more to appreciate than the younger me did.

Stackboy

reptilescorpio said:
How was the rocket launch? That is on my bucket list.

Insane.

We were standing on the beach, a few miles away. It was a launch for a satellite from a private company. Saw the smoke plumage first then this really bright light coming from the bottom of the rocket. Once it got in the air about 30 seconds later you could hear the noise of the rocket. Like something straight out of science fiction.

Y'know, I first saw JB when it came out and I don't think I've seen it again since. I really need to sit down one day and rewatch it coz I'm sure the older me will find more to appreciate than the younger me did.
QT flicks are always enjoyable on the rewatch because he packs so much into every shot, definitely give it another watch even just to pick up on all the little touches to other movies.

Insane.

We were standing on the beach, a few miles away. It was a launch for a satellite from a private company. Saw the smoke plumage first then this really bright light coming from the bottom of the rocket. Once it got in the air about 30 seconds later you could hear the noise of the rocket. Like something straight out of science fiction.

Even just watching on Youtube it feels like you are going up into the atmosphere with the rocket, in person it would be mindblowing.

Shaneus

Same. I think I even wagged school to see it opening day, and I just remember it being kinda boring (and damn long).

Fusebox

Banned
I just typed up a reply about our Aboriginal members clearly not pulling their weight but then deleted it in case it was taken out of context by a mod who might not have seen that bus thread, then I manned up and undeleted it, but then I chickened out again and deleted it so I'm not posting it now.

Kritz

Banned
People point it out all the time though, I can understand the piece coming across as lazy and ineffective.

RPS has been doing the best job of it these last few months, culminating in the recent Battlefield 4 piece which became more of a media wide opinion, showing that even a lot of the media itself understands how ineffective it is becoming.

I kinda agree that the presentation itself wasn't that great - especially not when standing alone from the GDC environment, especially not without context that Chris Hecker (I think?) does those things every year. I suppose it's easier to forgive the crudeness of the video within the environment it was given - that is a noisy, informal gathering of developers and enthusiasts.

RPS's BF4 writeup was sublime, also. Not like this is an either or proposition.

--

I didn't care much for Jackie Brown. It had a great Samual L Jackson, and a great Chris Tucker performance that really set the tone of the piece. However, Reservoir Dogs will always, always be my favourite Tarantino movie. It's not even really a preference of quality, it's more that I really love the theme of RD. Bank Heist goes wrong, and a bunch of conmen and criminals get stuck in a garage for an hour not knowing what the fuck's going on.

... Man that movie'd suck if it existed in a world where every person and their dog had a mobile phone.

(I also don't care much for KB Part 2. But I don't think I've ever watched the KB films back to back, and KB2 is just so slooooow compared to 1. It's weird that my complaint for KB2 is that it's too much like a QT film)

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs/Inglourious Basterds
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2

I pretty much like them all but there's a bit of a drop between the top three and Jackie Brown and again from it to the Kill Bills. I don't really remember KBV2 very well though 'cause I was pretty drunk at the time. Still need to see Django

Shaneus

I just typed up a reply about our Aboriginal members clearly not pulling their weight but then deleted it in case it was taken out of context by a mod who might not have seen that bus thread, then I manned up and undeleted it, but then I chickened out again and deleted it so I'm not posting it now.
Like I mentioned earlier, you can put forward the most well thought out, concise, easy-to-understand argument but you'll always be countered by people who think they know more than you because they've they've managed to find random statistics that support their misconceptions. It's a lot better than to give up, because you'll be one of the few who retains what sanity they have left.

So, we're calling the AusGAF 9 thread title now? Sweet, I don't think that's ever happened before. I had a hand in naming one of my brother's dogs and another friend's dog, but that's it. Never an AusGAF thread title! Chuffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom