• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
StdZv5P.png

I2bY9kP.jpg

FUCK.

Deeku

Kinda random, but does anyone know how difficult it is to switch your course at uni? I'm currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Social Science (police studies) and want to switch to a straight Bachelor of Arts (so nothing major). After the last 5 weeks + the short essay which I wrote over the weekend, I've realised that Public Policy reaaally isn't my strong suit and I don't think I'll get through three years of it.

By switching to BoA, I can keep my three other subjects and swap the one I don't like and start next semester... so it won't screw me over too much.
shouldn't be too hard. there's usually info on this stuff on your uni website. most likely they'll make you complete the semester and let you transfer based on either your atar, your semester marks, or a combo of both.

Omni

Transferring to a BA should be pretty easy, might want to check when the cutoff is or you may have to wait until next year.

Go to the Course Advisers office at your faculty and have a chat to them tomorrow, they will let you know what you have to fill out/do in order to transfer over.

I wouldn't expect any major roadblocks across to a straight Arts degree from your current one.

shouldn't be too hard. there's usually info on this stuff on your uni website. most likely they'll make you complete the semester and let you transfer based on either your atar, your semester marks, or a combo of both.

Ooh okay. I'll go in tomorrow and talk to them about it (after looking on the website it says the same thing >_>). Thanks guys

hamchan

Normally they want you to complete a certain number of credits before you can transfer which might a whole year. Marks cutoff will be the lowest possible since its arts.

Saw this on the NRL Livestream, if only this actually happened. Turn the power off and that'll be great.

gVoj25W.jpg

Pretty much the absolute proof that the people they sit in front of the computers in the background of the telecast are only there for the photo op.

Dead Man

I've got a couple of properties in suburban Sydney and he's generally right, a lot of renters don't take as much care of the property, as they would if they owned it. Pure and simple.

You can always pick a rented from non rented propoerty by the condition of the lawn? Good luck with that.

AkIRA_22

You can always pick a rented from non rented propoerty by the condition of the lawn? Good luck with that.

No not just the lawn, if a renter has a lawn they generally mow it. But the general condition of the place. There is no denying it's a generalisation, I wouldn't just assume a tenant is going to be a grub because they are a tenant, but from personal experience the house isn't as well looked after as my own. I have never dicked around a tenant when it comes to fixing stuff, it doesn't end up costing me much anyway, its a deductible. A happy tenant is more likely to look after your investment.

Their are fuck wit land lords too, but its mainly shitty real estates who are crap at managing properties. I've dealt with them the too. If it is a managed property, chances are the owner doesn't even know about the issues.

Dead Man

No not just the lawn, if a renter has a lawn they generally mow it. But the general condition of the place. There is no denying it's a generalisation, I wouldn't just assume a tenant is going to be a grub because they are a tenant, but from personal experience the house isn't as well looked after as my own. I have never dicked around a tenant when it comes to fixing stuff, it doesn't end up costing me much anyway, its a deductible. A happy tenant is more likely to look after your investment.

Their are fuck wit land lords too, but its mainly shitty real estates who are crap at managing properties. I've dealt with them the too. If it is a managed property, chances are the owner doesn't even know about the issues.

'Always'. Very strong word. There are shit tenents, there are plenty of owner/residents who have shit upkeep too. The statement is beyond just a generalistion, it is utterly stupid. If I showed you my neighbours, according to you they must be renters. They are not. They own (or pay a mortgage qat least) on the place they live in.

jambo

No not just the lawn, if a renter has a lawn they generally mow it. But the general condition of the place. There is no denying it's a generalisation, I wouldn't just assume a tenant is going to be a grub because they are a tenant, but from personal experience the house isn't as well looked after as my own.

So you think that all home owners keep their houses as nicely as you keep your own?

YOU ARE INCORRECT SIR!

Deeku

ok so now that i'm actually using my 3ds xl, the screens kinda suck!!

but they're bigger, so playing the text heavy jrpgs give me much less of a headache. ds games in original res are heaven tho.

Now that I have finished Infinite I can go through the BUCKET LOADS of articles that fine people have written on the game. This was a fantastic piece by Rab Florence about the backlash that it's a first person shooter that nails exactly how I feel about the game.
Best feeling shooter since the glory days of id

This. When we moved in we told them about; shower screen has detached from the wall, toilet seat doesn't stay up, paraline needs rewiring, 3 window winders are rusted and as a result the windows won't close the last 4 inches, provided keys don't work in ANY door locks with only the real estates key working in ONLY the front door lock, etc.

9 months later no change.

I know the owner would be like "Hey, it's like $100 to replace the front and back door handles which are knackered, might as well do it. Everything has been standard for the last 10 years so it isn't like I have done much with the place." Fucking real estate, all they care about is selling houses.

ok so now that i'm actually using my 3ds xl, the screens kinda suck!!

but they're bigger, so playing the text heavy jrpgs give me much less of a headache. ds games in original res are heaven tho.
Yep yep yep, especially the part about DS games.

Whatever you do, do not go straight from the XL back to a Vita. It will not end well!!

mandiller

Just reading on some articles.

Derryn Hinch outed Rolf Harris twice. Rolf was arrested last week for more questioning and released on bail until may.

Looks like that Rolf may have known what savile was doing and kept quiet like alot of other people did.

It's funny that the British media are naming Rolf, while aussie media here are begin coy with revealing Rolf.

The British media should also not be naming Rolf Harris, but they just don't care.

Clipper

I found the whole not naming him thing pretty silly when the papers went from calling him an 82-year-old Australian entertainer to an 83-year-old Australian entertainer on his birthday. The age thing was enough of a giveaway, but then to actually give away his birth date too?

Omikron

So, how much of a deal breaker is 'always online' for you console guys?

I have essentially been that way for quite a number of years with steam and am personally ok with it, but I doubt the new xbox will have any sort if offline mode.

Also, I expect the ps4 has similar, especially after the suite of online features they have announced.

I don't really get the outrage to be honest. I only ever console game in my lounge room and don't travel with my console to a place I don't have Internet.

I've been with iinet for years and I've never had a single internet outage either.

Couldn't believe there is a 200 page thread on it. GAF gotta GAF I suppose.

Dead Man

I don't really get the outrage to be honest. I only ever console game in my lounge room and don't travel with my console to a place I don't have Internet.

I've been with iinet for years and I've never had a single internet outage either.

So does everyone who bought SimCity. Ask them how having a good internet connection is helping.

Clipper

I thought that the outrage tends to be not directly due to the console being always online, but from the way people associate "always online" with "no used games"...

Omikron

I think there is a lot of over reaction, but largely based on some pretty bad specific game experiences... Sim City, Diablo 3 etc.

So does everyone who bought SimCity. Ask them how having a good internet connection is helping.

I think specific game implementations of always online are very different to just being online with the console. From a technical perspective anyway.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The always online argument mostly comes down to having actual freedom with the product you just purchased. To be forced into a specific play style, An always online connected facebook twitter feed world, When you don't want that, Clearly isn't ideal.

Then you have the actual services themselves. Considering how fucking poorly companies do time and time and time and time and time again with product launches that require a constant online connection, Do you really wonder why people are so afraid? These are the companies who are rolling around in mad money but couldn't be arsed to buy more servers and then put out a PR that says "zomg it sold a fuck ton and we weren't expecting it, we are upgrading services now!".

Hey assholes, You have money, Buy more servers from day 1 and then scale it back if the launch is a fucking bomb.

Then of course you paid $60 to play the game and you sure as hell want to actually, I don't know, Fucking play it. When the above and other examples happen it doesn't come across as a positive outlook for the future of always online.

Steam/Origin and so on are slightly different beasts. They are a general service and not game specific. Sure some games are now steamworks and require steam to actually work but you can still play that game in an offline setting. Being online with these services is seen as a bonus, because of the potential communities that are born within them. If you don't want to participate or find anything like that then you can either a) ignore it all or b) offline it up all day long.

Always online doesn't allow you to do either of those. It's their way or it's nothing else.

Fusebox

Banned
I've got a couple of properties in suburban Sydney and he's generally right, a lot of renters don't take as much care of the property, as they would if they owned it. Pure and simple.

I've got a property in the city and the renters look after it a lot better than I ever did.

Also, NOT ROLF, Noooo! I could image him up on beastiality charges maybe, tying all those kangaroos down so he can stretch his extra leg etc but not kiddies ffs.

Shaneus

This. When we moved in we told them about; shower screen has detached from the wall, toilet seat doesn't stay up, paraline needs rewiring, 3 window winders are rusted and as a result the windows won't close the last 4 inches, provided keys don't work in ANY door locks with only the real estates key working in ONLY the front door lock, etc.

9 months later no change.
Because you're living with a woman. Am I right, guys, or am I right?

*cue Married With Children audience*

PS. There's no way MS will make their console "always online". There are no consoles that do that and to have that be the case would fucking destroy them. I'd wager a good number of Windows PCs have never been online, never see them force it for Windows (I think there's a way to "activate" Windows over the phone, so no internet needed at all).

Dead Man

I think there is a lot of over reaction, but largely based on some pretty bad specific game experiences... Sim City, Diablo 3 etc.

I think specific game implementations of always online are very different to just being online with the console. From a technical perspective anyway.

The point being that even with great internet, you are at the mercy of a server you don't have any control over.

The point being that even with great internet, you are at the mercy of a server you don't have any control over.

Yeah but when has Xbox Live been down for a chunk of time? I can remember once around Xmas a few years ago but that's about it. I mean obviously having an offline mode is best so I'd like to see their justification apart from DRM.

If any new consoles have a requirement for always being online I'm out. I'm not always online. I don't have access to ADSL or cable internet. I'm just straight up out and don't have a say in the matter.

I know I'm not the only person either in Australia or in the developed world. It would be foolish to try it at this stage, I think. That doesn't mean that it won't happen. though.

Fusebox

Banned
Going by all reports so far, this will be the first Sony console I buy on day 1 and the first MS console I don't buy on day 1.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So at the moment i'm thinking that I will pick up the new HTC One phone. It's about time I moved over to android from iOS, Especially since my home button is starting to piss me off with it working half the time.

I'm still on the family plan so this will be my attempt to throw myself onto my own mobile plan.

The only issue is that I barely use the phone at all. It's pretty much an MP3 player for the train rides to and from work with some random SMS messages and the random browsing of gaf / twitter.

So the cheapest plan is $50 a month, 1GB of data and blah blah for text/sms. I totally wish it was cheaper.

So the HTC One is currently $698 from HN, Which is the cheapest I've seen it around outright locally anyway. Silver 32GB which would be good enough for me personally.

So there's either.

A) Buy it outright and throw it on a $50 plan from telstra which is who I would prefer to go with.
B) Buy the phone from Telstra, The lowest plan they have is $70/month and it's the black version and not silver. Not that it really matters.

I can't imagine myself upgrading phones all the time these days. I might have when I was 16 and polyphonic ringtones were the new shit but i'm too old these days.

So I have no idea which way I should try and go. The outright price and freedom along with a cheaper monthly price would end up being more expensive over say 24 months than the, What I imagine it to be 24 month contract via telstra.

Telstra contract ends up being $1680 on the lowest for the phone after 24 months.
Outright + $50 a month over 24 months is around $1900

Not a huge difference I guess.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If you rarely use a phone for phone type stuff, why not go for prepaid? Is there a reason why you want to go on contract?

There's smaller data on the prepaid planes and while it doesn't seem like an issue now, I imagine I might use some more data on a android handset. Why, I have no idea!

They are bringing out no lock in plans on April 23rd, Which I think might just be the same as their casual offerings but I don't have anymore information on it.

legend166

What happens to always online systems in 10 years? 20 years?

We moved house at the end of last year, and we didn't have internet for two weeks. When we were moving, I saw my GameCube, and so during that two weeks I played Super Monkey Ball. It was awesome.

What happens in 10 years to the games on the Xbox 720? Because it's an absolute guarantee they'll turn off the authentication servers at one point. Those games will just be lost forever.

So that's a huge, huge issue that's reason enough to stay well clear from always online consoles. We don't even need to go into all the problems it will cause during the life of the console.

legend166

Yeah exactly. I feel like with Steam I get enough advantages to outweigh the disadvantages.

And there's also the comfort of knowing that if Steam ever dies I'll just be able to pirate every game I bought anyway so it won't matter.

There's smaller data on the prepaid planes and while it doesn't seem like an issue now, I imagine I might use some more data on a android handset. Why, I have no idea!

They are bringing out no lock in plans on April 23rd, Which I think might just be the same as their casual offerings but I don't have anymore information on it.
There were those Aldi prepaid plans that people were talking about a while back. $30 per month for unlimited calls, text and 5gigs of data. That might suit you.

I was probably going to get a PS4 first anyway but just this week I've had my net drop out a few times, never for very long but it seems to coincide with any sort of decent rain and living in the tropics that basically means a spotty connection for half of the year.

The two non Nintendo consoles are so close in library anyway that any negative for one is a free shot for the other.

It's still all rumours and speculation at this point so it will be interesting to see if they actually go through with it. Alot of the rumour stuff just sounds to me like MS is doubling down on the US market.

senahorse

Meh, I will still get one, as with a PS4 also. I can understand people getting upset at such a thing but it won't really affect me so eh.

Day one patches and unfinished operating systems. This is the future that we're getting.

Purposefully shipping unfinished products and assuming everyone has the internet and will hook up their console/games immediately to them then turn their purchase into a finished/fixed product is shitty. It isn't a problem for people with strong, reliable internet but it means that everyone else gets less features/stability/enjoyment yet they've paid the same amount of money. It's a shitty business practice and people shouldn't have to put up with it. I shouldn't have to transport systems to a friend's place, impose on them just to get the product that I've paid for, were promised, and everyone else is experiencing.

I'm not in a position where I have a choice of if I wish to support that behaviour, so I guess they're possibly getting to the point where they're actively refusing my money. I can't be the only one so hopefully more people stop putting up with it.

PS: I'm not mad. They're making a product that no longer suits my current position; I can't get mad at someone making a product that isn't aimed at me. I've got plenty more life out of my current and previous generation consoles that I will survive quite comfortably without their consoles. It's just disappointing that it's come to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom