• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

It is pretty interesting that unrated entertainment materials are readily available for purchase on Steam in Australia.

Also, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon sounds like the best fucking thing ever

Far Cry® 3 Blood Dragon is THE Kick-Ass Cyber Shooter taking place on a bizarre open-world island crawling with evil. Welcome to an 80’s VHS vision of the future. The year is 2007 and you are Sargent Rex Colt, a Mark IV Cyber Commando who’s fighting against a cyborg army gone rogue. Your mission: get the girl, kill the baddies, and save the world. Experience every cliché of a VHS era vision of a nuclear future, where cyborgs, blood dragons, mutants, and Michael Biehn (Terminator, Aliens, Navy Seals) collide. Playing Far Cry® 3 Blood Dragon doesn't require a copy of Far Cry® 3.

Michael Motherfucking Biehn!

Evl you should check out aldi (as already mentioned), tpg, liveconnected and maybe amaysim.

Aldi's plan is actually $35p/m according to their website.

Aldi is probably the best value if you're planning to use heaps of data.

I've been with liveconnected since December and besides taking a week or so to port my number I haven't had any problems. The speed and coverage for you in Melbourne should be even better than the decent amount I get here.

I'm on the medium plan which is 12 bucks a month for me (now 17 dollars for new customers :/ ). I apparently only used 200mb last month.

Slab of Hoegaarden for $45 is a good deal at Aldi?
I don't really get the outrage to be honest. I only ever console game in my lounge room and don't travel with my console to a place I don't have Internet.

I've been with iinet for years and I've never had a single internet outage either.

Couldn't believe there is a 200 page thread on it. GAF gotta GAF I suppose.
So do you actually mean "I am not outraged" rather than "My experience is the same experience as millions of people around the world in hundreds of countries with many different variables in their lives?"

Also I forget, is the internet for discussion? A 200 page thread of discussion is a harmful thing in what way? What are you on about?

Sorry if everyone not having the same experiences as you is a strange concept to your brain.

I thought that the outrage tends to be not directly due to the console being always online, but from the way people associate "always online" with "no used games"...
Nah 2 seperate issues.

Always Online: Millions of people can't play their games when their internet drops in and out

No Used Games: Added cost to each time you borrow a game from a friend, kills rental industry, kills retail industry, etc

Because you're living with a woman. Am I right, guys, or am I right?

*cue Married With Children audience*
Pfffft! More for the little guy, his training seat thingy goes on top of the toilet bowl so we have to tie the damn seat up so it doesn't hit him in the back of the head.

Real Estate manager doesn't seem to give a shit though. She laughed when we told her.

Yeah but when has Xbox Live been down for a chunk of time? I can remember once around Xmas a few years ago but that's about it. I mean obviously having an offline mode is best so I'd like to see their justification apart from DRM.
What does Xbox Live have to do with this? It doesn't currently have you pinging the servers every 3 minutes for every console hooked up.

The main issue is the consumers internet, not the Microsoft servers, in the short term.
Long term Microsoft is turning the servers off, no ifs or buts about it mate.

The only issue is that I barely use the phone at all. It's pretty much an MP3 player for the train rides to and from work with some random SMS messages and the random browsing of gaf / twitter.

So the cheapest plan is $50 a month, 1GB of data and blah blah for text/sms. I totally wish it was cheaper.

So the HTC One is currently $698 from HN, Which is the cheapest I've seen it around outright locally anyway. Silver 32GB which would be good enough for me personally.

So there's either.

A) Buy it outright and throw it on a $50 plan from telstra which is who I would prefer to go with.
B) Buy the phone from Telstra, The lowest plan they have is $70/month and it's the black version and not silver. Not that it really matters.
Like the suited monkey said, Aldi have unlimited plans for $35 a month with 5GB on no contract, no plan. Just pay as you go each month.

Runs on the Telstra 3G network. Keep your old phone number if you want. Just pick up a sim card from Aldi for $5 (has $5 credit on it). Do the whole process on their website. Here is a rundown on it, similar to KoganMobile.

Are you sure you want such an expensive fancy phone if you don't use it much? The Galaxy S3 is around the $400 mark now.

Yeah exactly. I feel like with Steam I get enough advantages to outweigh the disadvantages.

And there's also the comfort of knowing that if Steam ever dies I'll just be able to pirate every game I bought anyway so it won't matter.
Yeah the pirate option is always a good fallback plan for PC gaming in case of a major catastrophe.

The change in equation with Steam compared to the old retail effort was much lower prices, instant access to download your games so you didn't have to have them all burnt onto disc or trawl accounts to find which site has your key, spotty implementation of offline mode and the general concern that Steam could one day disappear. They can also be manipulated once downloaded with a lot of them not requiring Steam to be loaded up anyway (aside from Steamworks titles?).

It is pretty interesting that unrated entertainment materials are readily available for purchase on Steam in Australia.
I guess it is because they can pull the game out of your collection whenever they want if there is a blow up about it. Even places like OzGameShop take down sales pages for unrated games here since it is a physical product they have to send through to us.

Always on consoles are fucking stupid, end of story.

I don't have internet at my parents. If I buy a 720 and leave the console there, I can't play it? How about no.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Slab of Hoegaarden for $45 is a good deal at Aldi?
Like the suited monkey said, Aldi have unlimited plans for $35 a month with 5GB on no contract, no plan. Just pay as you go each month.

Runs on the Telstra 3G network. Keep your old phone number if you want. Just pick up a sim card from Aldi for $5 (has $5 credit on it). Do the whole process on their website. Here is a rundown on it, similar to KoganMobile.

Are you sure you want such an expensive fancy phone if you don't use it much? The Galaxy S3 is around the $400 mark now.

Aldi could be an option but it looks like it's a capped version of Telstra's 3G. With the HTC One I at least can get 4G on it, Which would be nice, For when I'm looking at gaf on the train and need to post ASAP!!

Also. I'm no kid. Why would I want to play with plastic when I can play with machine made metal designed sexy toys? Pfft Samsung S3/S4. Come on son!

In reality, There's something about the phone I just dig. I could buy a nexus 4 or wait until Google has their conference in May which I might actually wait for. They will probably announce the new nexus along with next Android version then.

I would prefer a "Google" android phone for updates but at the same time i'm sure the kids over on XDA can get things going anyway.

Aldi could be an option but it looks like it's a capped version of Telstra's 3G. With the HTC One I at least can get 4G on it, Which would be nice, For when I'm looking at gaf on the train and need to post ASAP!!
"Capped" meaning it doesn't service places you won't go, ie mines.

I would prefer a "Google" android phone for updates but at the same time i'm sure the kids over on XDA can get things going anyway.
Doesn't always work, but HTC One is a pretty popular not-yet-available phone that will have that support for sure.

senahorse

Also, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon sounds like the best fucking thing ever

Michael Motherfucking Biehn!

Game sounds great, can't wait.

jambo

Game sounds great, can't wait.

The art is even better!

zhjnm88.jpg

And then there's the music

http://fc3blooddragon.uk.ubi.com/sloan-assault.html

http://fc3blooddragon.uk.ubi.com/power-core.html

The always-online, used game blocking Xbox will only embolden Sony to do the same with PS4, mark my words. There are those who take ambiguous quotes as proof they won't, but I know better. They've always wanted to do it and have had the tech ready for a while. Here's their chance.

It might take a softer form, like a one-time activation or license transfer fee when you first try to boot up a used game, but it'll happen.

Me? I'm not mad about it. I already find myself spending a lot of unrecoverable money on games. If I deem a game worth it, I will (and have) pay hundreds of dollars in order to be able to do so, resellability be damned.

hamchan

I don't really mind no used games and always online since I'm a PC gamer, I'm used to that stuff already. I do mind paying for Xbox Live Gold to play online though! That is absolute bullshit. I support Sony and the PS4 all the way if they continue with free online, free video streaming etc, with their premium service continuing to be the PS+ program. I have gotten so many games to play through PS+ for such a great value.

Shaneus

There's smaller data on the prepaid planes and while it doesn't seem like an issue now, I imagine I might use some more data on a android handset. Why, I have no idea!

They are bringing out no lock in plans on April 23rd, Which I think might just be the same as their casual offerings but I don't have anymore information on it.
Telstra is actually really good for prepaid. They might not have it anymore (a mate who was thinking of moving couldn't find anything confirming it) but if I drop $40/month, I get ~$300 of calls, 600MB data and $40 with which to buy "bonus packs". In those packs, $20 will get you 700MB. So I basically get 2GB of data a month. Even more if I have a quiet month and wind up buying the 700MB pack right before I recharge (so I effectively have 700MB + whatever for the next month).

Pfffft! More for the little guy, his training seat thingy goes on top of the toilet bowl so we have to tie the damn seat up so it doesn't hit him in the back of the head.
Ocky strap.

Please tell me that's standalone. I don't think I could handle having to buy FC3 for that.

Sounds kinda like 3D Hotline Miami.
Edit: Fuck, standalone! And received a Brazilian rating (or something) for PC as well :D

PS. Who knows anything about Vaya (network etc.)? That they have access to a 4G network has me curious. Not because I have a 4G phone, but it means they're less likely to be bottom-feeders on 3G.

jambo

Please tell me that's standalone. I don't think I could handle having to buy FC3 for that.

Sounds kinda like 3D Hotline Miami.

"Playing Far Cry® 3 Blood Dragon doesn't require a copy of Far Cry® 3."

=D

PS. Who knows anything about Vaya (network etc.)? That they have access to a 4G network has me curious. Not because I have a 4G phone, but it means they're less likely to be bottom-feeders on 3G.

From memory, there's a fairly large Vaya thread on Whingepool.

Shaneus

Rad :D

Artwork reminds me a lot of 90s futuristic game covers:
eMyFNLS.jpg

In fact, if I didn't know better... I'd say it's closer to being a ripoff of it.

teekun

Telstra is actually really good for prepaid. They might not have it anymore (a mate who was thinking of moving couldn't find anything confirming it) but if I drop $40/month, I get ~$300 of calls, 600MB data and $40 with which to buy "bonus packs". In those packs, $20 will get you 700MB. So I basically get 2GB of data a month. Even more if I have a quiet month and wind up buying the 700MB pack right before I recharge (so I effectively have 700MB + whatever for the next month).

This is what I do, and it works really well. The only thing they've gimped over the past year or so is the amount of data you get with an encore recharge. But buying plus packs pretty much takes care of that. Plus, if you aren't making tons of calls, the bonus call credit can also be used to pay for per-MB data when you run out of data. Being pre-paid, the worst thing that happens is you have to recharge early if you somehow manage to burn through everything.

Fusebox

Banned

eMyFNLS.jpg

In fact, if I didn't know better... I'd say it's closer to being a ripoff of it.

Oh shit Crime Wave! Nostalgia overload! One of those games I had forgotten all about but that cover... memories flooding back of digitised graphics and bad explosions.

I want to play it again now lol

Jintor

My brother absolutely wrecked my pinky on my left hand when we were sparring :-/

I think i want to take up a grappling martial art... judo or something...

Shaneus

Oh shit Crime Wave! Nostalgia overload! One of those games I had forgotten all about but that cover... memories flooding back of digitised graphics and bad explosions.

I want to play it again now lol
I tell ya, I still have a spot for RealSound... mostly for music like this and to a lesser extent, the Crime Wave music.

Hard to imagine they went on to make the Links and Amped games!

Bit late to the always online/used game conversation, but since I'm drinking alone (...) I have time now...

Used game blocking doesn't affect me now, but I dislike the idea because I think all games should always be available to play in some form (I don't really care about backwards compatibility though) and this would prevent that.

Always online with Steam barely affects me either, but I still hate the idea. I paid for the damn game, just let me play it. If I have gone to the effort of registering and installing a game, and I don't want any of your online crap, leave me alone. Offline Mode is an OK start, but I shouldn't have to remember to be proactive about it.

AutoCAD costs thousands of dollars and I can use that offline (even with network-only licenses, but unless you 'borrow' a license that too is online only). Your fifty dollar game should not hold me to the same standards.

Ocky strap.
Aldi is $35 a month with unlimited calls, unlimited text, unlimited mms, unlimited calls to 1300/1800/etc numbers, 5GB of data per month.

Also Ocky Straps are almost universally banned! Plus it just isn't feasible to use on a toilet cistern. I do love those ocky nets you put over a trailer though, very well designed.

eMyFNLS.jpg

Heh, this is what I'm watching tonight

Nemesisposter93.jpg

My brother absolutely wrecked my pinky on my left hand when we were sparring :-/

I think i want to take up a grappling martial art... judo or something...
Nah go full on Kyokushin! I would love to see it play a part in Sleepy Dogs 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Super keen for the Dishonored mission pack this month. Grabbed it for $8 on Green Man Gaming with GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD 20% off voucher.

Are you talking about in your household or generally? If the latter, why are they?
Are you asking me or cookie? If me google ocky strap and look at the fourth result. They are dangerous as fuck and no workplace would knowingly have them on site. I heard plenty of horror stories.

I don't know shit about grapples though :T

No need, just dig in and start at the beginning! I wish I had time to get into it properly.

Are you asking me or cookie? If me google ocky strap and look at the fourth result. They are dangerous as fuck and no workplace would knowingly have them on site. I heard plenty of horror stories

You.
Yeah I saw that when I was checking occy straps were what I thought they were. Just was the first I've ever heard of them being dangerous.

Shaneus

Japan has gifted the world the most relatable superhero ever.

tumblr_mkxil1g5Ne1qmx94go1_500.png
Fucking awesome. What's it from?

PS. Not as relatable as this guy:
LPwsqSnm.jpg

Aldi is $35 a month with unlimited calls, unlimited text, unlimited mms, unlimited calls to 1300/1800/etc numbers, 5GB of data per month.
I was more thinking what provider they're on... I think Aldi was Telstra, but 3G only? And didn't they have some arse data limit per day?

PS. Still loving the shit out of this theme*. All the games that had that wave-based PC-speaker funk going on were incredible at the time:
MACH 3
This did too, but I can't find a video of it:
MsgwKzIm.jpg

And from memory, whilst they didn't have wave-based PC music, I know a bunch of Activision games had speech, like Ghostbusters 2, Tongue of the Fatman and I *think* Deathtrack... although the latter may have just had those crappy digitised, dithered-to-shit EGA photos that always looked crap.

*I think I want to make it my ringtone. Also, I absolutely loved the fact that all those early Access Software games had to use one of their main developer/lead guys for basically every cutscene and box cover ever.

Edit: BAHAHAHA. This is from the Crime Wave intro:
9jWmdkm.png

markot

Banned
Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,
Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
Let them know
The Wicked Witch is dead!

Let them know

It should be just as big a celebration here as it would be in Northern England. The policies of Australian Conservatives from the 1980's onwards has reeked of Thatcherism, and that is never a good thing.

Ventron

Let them know

I love it, the next few days will show off some real sexism and misogyny (cf. Macquarie Dictionary definition)

Shaneus

PS. Why I love my iPad:

There's something about playing old-school adventure games whilst sitting on your couch that just feels so much more... I dunno, comfortable? Intimate? Just you and the screen and a story... no keyboards or sitting upright at your computer desk, you can play it wherever you want, no probs.

And yes, this is my first time playing Full Throttle.

PPS. Not resizing. Bask in the glory that is RETINA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom