• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

x3n, what do you think about studying for my CCNP? Think it's pointless if I don't have the real world experience to back it up?

Definitely not pointless, as there is a lot of hands on with the cert, and even if you don't have equipment you can use you can use dynamips/gns3 for all the layer3 stuff. For layer2 you can probably get away with Cisco's packet tracer, just make sure you use the latest version as older ones have issues with spanning-tree and there is a fair amount of it in CCNP (especially in the Switch exam). I am finally pulling my finger out and getting mine done and probably going to move straight on to CCIE (not looking forward to taking the lab exam). It typically goes experience > certs > degree, however with a CCNP there are a number of entry level networking positions that are just asking for CCNA or equivalent that you should be able to slot in to. You have a slight disadvantage without the experience so make sure you study and know the material, rather than studying for the exam, paper CCNA/CCNP/MCP/MCSE (basically people that just use exam dumps to pass an exam) etc are a dime a dozen and you will get asked technical questions at most interviews so ensure you have a thorough understanding of every layer (at least the first 4) of the OSI model as well as a good understanding of TCP/IP. Other good skills to have in networking are unix/shell scripting/perl and if you're really keen you can start diversifying and learn more about data centre tech (you can do a CCNA data centre) which will really help you out. Data centre and networking go hand in hand and I see a future where the two roles are basically merged. From there you can study towards certs in wireless, voice, security and then even expand on your data centre knowledge and learn more about VMware and even go for a VCP. Also learning more about layer7 switching, DNS/DHCP (typically anything using bind/dhcpd and MS DNS), VPN (especially Cisco ASA's), as well as looking into other vendors like Juniper, Brocade and even HP (more so their data centre stuff like the flex fabric).

Having said all that, just start applying for network related roles while you're studying for CCNP, that are just asking for CCNA, and attend a few interviews, at the very least it's great experience but you may even land a job. It's so easy to get bogged down with certs, the sooner you can get your hands dirty the better.

Get desk from Op Shop and chair from Office Works! OEM Win7 is $25 still right?

I thought that stopped in February, might be wrong.

edit: WHATWHATWHAT, VLR free for psn+ man I have been getting awesome value out of this sub lately, Sony really are starting to get their shit together.

Fusebox

Banned
You know, despite only having a (very) small number of games for the Vita, I'm struggling to find a reason to regret my purchase. Wipeout and Lumines have me by the scruff of the neck and PSN+ just keeps on giving. Honestly, the only thing I don't like about it is the shitty memory card system. Everything else they've done surprisingly well.

I'm tempted to pick up Guacamelee (seriously, best name ever) but my handheld space is currently occupied by ScummVM and Full Throttle (and then, Monkey Island 1+2, with a bit of Jones in the Fast Lane sprinkled throughout) so I can't really justify it.

But PSN+ discounts are generally only ever ~10% or free, yes? I should just grab it now, save the hassle.

My Vita backlog is looking something like this (in order of what I intend to play em in)

P4G - 65 hours in!
DOA5 - Always whenever I feel like a quick burst of action
DJMAX Technika - Always whenever I feel like a quick burst of bemani
Guacamelee - might finish this in a couple of small sessions in between epic P4G sessions

And sitting on my memory card, lined up after those is...

Atelier Totori
FFVIII
Jeanne D'Arc
FFIX
Persona 3P
MGS1-3
FFX-HD

And Soul Sacrifice in there somewhere too. Not to mention Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, Lumines, Puddle, VLR all sitting on my Aus memory card too.

And that's enough goddamn hours of gaming to see me through to the next year!

Kritz

Banned
Put an optical drive in there, they're cheap. Also, get the K version of the CPU so you can overclock it when some mad PS4 emulator comes out that needs like 5GHz.

I'm not the kind to overclock. Part paranoia, part can't be arsed.

VIx4V8r.png

Hrm, your PSU is only $5 more than mine and has hella more Watts. Don't think it's modular though? Anyone have a recommendation for a good, modular, $90-110 PSU? The one I have picked out is a 520W antec one.

Fredescu

Maybe one day you'll want to and you'll be annoyed that you didn't listen to me! It's like $20 for the option.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good, modular, $90-110 PSU? The one I have picked out is a 520W antec one.

Seasonic are the best because I'm a fanboy.

520w for $109 or 620w for $129

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_972&products_id=15957
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_972&products_id=13567

Dead Man

Hrm, your PSU is only $5 more than mine and has hella more Watts. Don't think it's modular though? Anyone have a recommendation for a good, modular, $90-110 PSU? The one I have picked out is a 520W antec one.

Why is modular better?

Modular means a hell of a lot less cable management. Just plug in the ones you need! Improves air flow through the case too.

What about the Corsair CX-500M? Only $79

I've got a HX-650M but that's pricey now.

senahorse

Looking forward to building a new PC soon, going to wait for Haswell though and a potential (yeah right) price drop on the stupidly priced titan.

Guarantee that has to be something wrong with the connection string... right? :S

Edit: You fixed it already :(
When I output it to screen it looked fine. In fact when I tried to connect outside of my function (that was working when I started today and I didn't change) it worked fine. Calling the function somehow added invisible characters somewhere. Going through my usual method of distrusting everything (so stripping garbage using regex and then trimming) fixed it. I just assumed since it was a private function I didn't have to bother. Really odd since I still don't actually know what the problem is but I've got it working now at least.

Dead Man

Alright, how am I doing?

TUQuZMP.png

Also, if I want Windows 7, what is the best version to get?

<--- vista victim and still running it :(

Edit: The corsair is no good?

Drop the 750 to a 600 watt PSU could be a good idea?

Titan-mini is rumoured to be out in a few months time!

Your HX-650 was actually made by Seasonic! The CX-500 is made by a company called Channelwell and they're not so well regarded.

I knew about Corsair repackaging PSU's initially, was hoping they were still doing it for the new lines I hadn't seen :(

senahorse

That's a good point, I will wait and see, going to wait till July at any rate. It will be interesting to see what E3 brings, hopefully will get a better idea of what will be running on PC at years end and next year.

Dead Man

That's a good point, I will wait and see, going to wait till July at any rate. It will be interesting to see what E3 brings, hopefully will get a better idea of what will be running on PC at years end and next year.

Shit. SEE? This is what I have not been buying a gaming PC for so long. There is always someone saying wait and see! LOL

legend166

Definitely not pointless, as there is a lot of hands on with the cert, and even if you don't have equipment you can use you can use dynamips/gns3 for all the layer3 stuff. For layer2 you can probably get away with Cisco's packet tracer, just make sure you use the latest version as older ones have issues with spanning-tree and there is a fair amount of it in CCNP (especially in the Switch exam). I am finally pulling my finger out and getting mine done and probably going to move straight on to CCIE (not looking forward to taking the lab exam). It typically goes experience > certs > degree, however with a CCNP there are a number of entry level networking positions that are just asking for CCNA or equivalent that you should be able to slot in to. You have a slight disadvantage without the experience so make sure you study and know the material, rather than studying for the exam, paper CCNA/CCNP/MCP/MCSE (basically people that just use exam dumps to pass an exam) etc are a dime a dozen and you will get asked technical questions at most interviews so ensure you have a thorough understanding of every layer (at least the first 4) of the OSI model as well as a good understanding of TCP/IP. Other good skills to have in networking are unix/shell scripting/perl and if you're really keen you can start diversifying and learn more about data centre tech (you can do a CCNA data centre) which will really help you out. Data centre and networking go hand in hand and I see a future where the two roles are basically merged. From there you can study towards certs in wireless, voice, security and then even expand on your data centre knowledge and learn more about VMware and even go for a VCP. Also learning more about layer7 switching, DNS/DHCP (typically anything using bind/dhcpd and MS DNS), VPN (especially Cisco ASA's), as well as looking into other vendors like Juniper, Brocade and even HP (more so their data centre stuff like the flex fabric).

Having said all that, just start applying for network related roles while you're studying for CCNP, that are just asking for CCNA, and attend a few interviews, at the very least it's great experience but you may even land a job. It's so easy to get bogged down with certs, the sooner you can get your hands dirty the better.

I thought that stopped in February, might be wrong.

edit: WHATWHATWHAT, VLR free for psn+ man I have been getting awesome value out of this sub lately, Sony really are starting to get their shit together.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Definitely a good point about not studying for the exam, and I didn't do that with the CCNA. I think it was you who got me on to CBT Nuggets and that's what I used (plus all my retained knowledge from uni).

TOPIC CHANGE

I want to start a new book series. Wheel of Time, or Hyperion?

senahorse

Shit. SEE? This is what I have not been buying a gaming PC for so long. There is always someone saying wait and see! LOL

That's true, but it has been 7-8 years since new consoles have come out, I really would like to see what they will be doing and from that get an idea of what kind of hardware will be required by a PC. It's no doubt that anything you buy now will be more powerful than the consoles going by the numbers though I like to remain a little cautious around a new console launch.

legend166

I've read Mistborn already. Great series.

I bought Wheel of Time book 1. I'll see how I like it. I've been warned the series gets bogged down but the last few books make up for it.

North Korean TV is fascinating. So far watched a women's basketball game, flowers, and news where after a couple of segments they just showed scans of newspapers and talked about that. Easier than video I guess.

And now some show about people bulldozing stuff.

hamchan

I've read Mistborn already. Great series.

I bought Wheel of Time book 1. I'll see how I like it. I've been warned the series gets bogged down but the last few books make up for it.

I got bored at the third Wheel of Time book and apparently that's when it's still supposed to be good!

Last few books are by Brandon Sanderson so yeah they're probably good.

Dead Man

That's true, but it has been 7-8 years since new consoles have come out, I really would like to see what they will be doing and from that get an idea of what kind of hardware will be required by a PC. It's no doubt that anything you buy now will be more powerful than the consoles going by the numbers though I like to remain a little cautious around a new console launch.

I want to get to the point where the only games I buy on a console are console exclusives. So the relative performance doesn't really bother me, I just don't want to be locked into supporting practises I find shitty in the console space simply because I can't run and game post 2010 any other way.

So I guess I will remind myself of the reason for getting a gaming PC and keep that foremost in mind so I don't get caught up in the new product wait and see cycle :)

I want to start a new book series. Wheel of Time, or Hyperion?

Depends. Hyperion is by far the better series, but it is not a normal series of books telling one story in pieces. If you aren't bothered by that, Hyperion without a doubt. Unless you want 300 pages of braid pulling, foot stamping, and exasperated sighs.

Jintor

Does anybody remember what good couch multiplayer games there are nowadays? Besides Halo I mean. Preferably the the 360 but whatever

Kritz

Banned
Maybe one day you'll want to and you'll be annoyed that you didn't listen to me! It's like $20 for the option.

Seasonic are the best because I'm a fanboy.

520w for $109 or 620w for $129

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_972&products_id=15957
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_972&products_id=13567

better to go modular and have a nice looking case or go higher power?

also I decided I'd get another SSD so both can have one. Which now justifies me being cheap in other areas!

senahorse

I want to get to the point where the only games I buy on a console are console exclusives. So the relative performance doesn't really bother me, I just don't want to be locked into supporting practises I find shitty in the console space simply because I can't run and game post 2010 any other way.

So I guess I will remind myself of the reason for getting a gaming PC and keep that foremost in mind so I don't get caught up in the new product wait and see cycle :)

That's fair enough, I am just a stickler for high framerates and I hate having to do things twice.

Oh yeah, played some Blood Dragon today. Surprise, it's Far Cry 3 again but with neon lighting and some funny jokes

Games I have really enjoyed on the couch in multiplayer lately have been Trine (both of them and the DLC), Sonic racing 2 and Rayman Origins

Does anybody remember what good couch multiplayer games there are nowadays? Besides Halo I mean. Preferably the the 360 but whatever

PS360
Double Dragon Neon
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
fightan gaems

Wii/U
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
The House of the Dead: Overkill
Kirby's Adventure Wii
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
New Super Mario Bros. U

Jintor

hmmm... was really hoping for something super easy for my nongamer friends to get into. There was some cool simplified soccer game that went up on GiantBomb's GDC livestream that seemed cool. And nidhogg, if that ever gets released ever

hmmm... was really hoping for something super easy for my nongamer friends to get into.

Well everything I listed is pretty much old-timey "move your guy with the dpad and punch things with one or two buttons" (or point at the screen and shoot with one or two buttons in the case of HotD), dunno that it gets much more accessible than that on consoles.

senahorse

I have to throw out 2 sixers of SN pale ale, it's 3 months out of date, in fact I think it must have been out of date when I bought it from Dan Murphy's.

Shaneus

HOLY SHIT just noticed that an update of Chrome now has the hoverover expand text on the right hand side if the link you are hovering over is near the bottom of your page and the hoverover expand text would go over the top of your link/cursor

MIND BLOWN
Not sure how long it's been since you used Chrome, but last time I consistently used it (over 6 months ago) it was doing that.

Looking forward to upgrading my old q9550 sometime towards the end of this year... has served me amazingly well.
God damn, my Q9550 was a beast... until so many games became CPU limited. But man, overclocked like a dream, stable as anything and probably the second best CPU I've had (next to the 2500K I'm using now).

Get desk from Op Shop and chair from Office Works! OEM Win7 is $25 still right?
RECOMMEND ME A CHAIR FROM OFFICEWORKS, PUNY HUMAN. SOMETHING GOOD FOR MY BACK WOULD BE NICE, BUT IF NOT, THEN I WILL SETTLE FOR COMFORTABLE.

Any downside to using this case, besides cost and weight?

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
It's named after the ship in Pirates of the Caribbean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom