• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

@Shane - haven't run into to many games I haven't been able to play close to full settings.
I think it was because I was trying to run them at *better* than full... was definitely hitting the limit of the cores while my 5850x2 (I may have had the 5970 at that stage, I think). Or maybe that's just what I told myself to justify the upgrade ;)

You downsample like a motherflipper I bet Shaneus!

Does anybody remember what good couch multiplayer games there are nowadays? Besides Halo I mean. Preferably the the 360 but whatever
Diablo 3 on PS3 sounds like it will be awesome for local co-op.

Otherwise grab Perfect Dark Zero!

Do you have a Kinect? Plenty of fun local MP stuff there. Double Fine approved!

Oh yeah, played some Blood Dragon today. Surprise, it's Far Cry 3 again but with neon lighting and some funny jokes
You dirty fucking pirate!

It is fucking amazing. Love the upgrade system and the AI seems to be way better than Far Cry 3. Must buy once it actually releases. 5/5 - Kritz.netTM

I have to throw out 2 sixers of SN pale ale, it's 3 months out of date, in fact I think it must have been out of date when I bought it from Dan Murphy's.
I would have drunk it!

RECOMMEND ME A CHAIR FROM OFFICEWORKS, PUNY HUMAN. SOMETHING GOOD FOR MY BACK WOULD BE NICE, BUT IF NOT, THEN I WILL SETTLE FOR COMFORTABLE.
You 100% need to go try them out. Head into town on Saturday and see what they have laying around. My chair is a bit like this one but with soft fabric. I actually got it when the Facilities department in Geelong was throwing out old furniture

:)

Jintor

You dirty fucking pirate!

It is fucking amazing. Love the upgrade system and the AI seems to be way better than Far Cry 3. Must buy once it actually releases. 5/5 - Kritz.netTM

I was at an event. Dude on stage was joking about the 'leak', actually. (I put leak in quotes not to say that it was intentional, but more to say it was stupid as fuck)

Shaneus

You downsample like a motherflipper I bet Shaneus!
Very much restricted to how much I can downsample now :/ Despite having a 5850/5970 combo which is, for all intents and purposes, powerful enough to last me another year or two at least... because the dual-GPU 5970 has only 2GB and the 5850 is only 1GB, it means I'm restricted to relatively low resolutions (compared to the guys in the PC screenshot thread, at least) and not quite maximum texture resolutions (and forget about AA).

BTW You wouldn't know anything about this chair, would you? I remember trying it out in OW a little while back but I think the majority of the $129 price tag goes toward the novelty and not quality :/

PS.
O8T7xqtl.jpg

Fuck yes.

Sierra Nevada pale ale is indeed good. An easy go to craft beer.

x3n, open one up, they're probably fine. Unless they've been in the light they should taste OK.

Drinking a homebrewed saison ATM, really happy with how it's aging. All the carbonation bubbles are in the middle of the glass, just like a nice champagne. :)

Edit: That North Korean stream just crashed... Watched nearly 1.5 hours of it in the background. Just astounding.

senahorse

Did you try one?

I did, and I think it tastes ok, the problem is I haven't had it before this carton and I don't know if it tastes funny or my mental perception is kicking in, I suppose I could buy a fresh one and compare.

edit: definitely haven't been in the light, have been in a fairly cool dark spot the whole time.

It's probably fine then. Better drink them quick to be certain you don't waste any! Most beer is usually OK even if past the use by date unless it's a 'gusher'...

I've a couple in the cupboard that have use by dates of like 2035.

Dos Equis make a lager (green bottle) and amber (called ambar - brown bottle).
Both are quite nice.

The amber doesn't belong in a michelada though (found that out the hard way when I ordered one when I thought they had the lager but only had the amber)...

Only realised after I started drinking it, that it's what this guy was drinking:
McZP3ls.jpg

(The world's most uninteresting post)

PS. New public transport racist in the news, two people stood up to her. Where's the thread?

I only started drinking it after seeing on two and a half men ages back. Product placement ftw!

Shaneus

I only started drinking it after seeing on two and a half men ages back. Product placement ftw!
I started because cods recommended it to me. It's kinda like a heavier-feeling Corona, so I like it.

Drew Carey?

PS. The latest rumours about the Nextbox fill me with joy. The idea of the b/c add-on is a fucking awesome idea, as is the fact that it's standalone (so I assume that would mean being able to play GoD games on an Apple TV-like (in size) device. Wonder what all those people who were "zomg never trusting MS again, even if the rumours are false" are saying now?

Jintor

PS. The latest rumours about the Nextbox fill me with joy. The idea of the b/c add-on is a fucking awesome idea, as is the fact that it's standalone (so I assume that would mean being able to play GoD games on an Apple TV-like (in size) device. Wonder what all those people who were "zomg never trusting MS again, even if the rumours are false" are saying now?

Why would you ever willingly take a stance based on incomplete information? These romans are crazy.

PS. The latest rumours about the Nextbox fill me with joy. The idea of the b/c add-on is a fucking awesome idea, as is the fact that it's standalone (so I assume that would mean being able to play GoD games on an Apple TV-like (in size) device. Wonder what all those people who were "zomg never trusting MS again, even if the romours are false" are saying now?

0004c6t4.jpg

In reality though it is a good thing. Although it hinges entirely on the mini-Xbox taking off in popularity with subscriptions to the TV shit. If it doesn't sell well MS will kill it off.

Hoping they still sell regular 360's as I would love to pick one up cheap ($100ish) to store away so I can play my retail games in ten years time. Still got a Gamecube, Xbox & PS2 in storage that were around $50 each brand new!

Also nice to see Kotaku running a Metacritic article that we have been bitching on about for years now.

According to Metacritic’s rating scale, any game above a 75 is considered “good,” but realistically, according to multiple developers I spoke with, publishers expect scores of 85 or higher. Sometimes, Urquhart told me, the demands can get unreasonable.

“A lot of times when we're talking to publishers–and this is no specific publisher–but there are conversations I’ve had in which the royalty that we could get was based upon getting a 95,” he said. “I’ve had this conversation with a publisher, and I explained to them, I said, ‘Okay, there are six games in the past five years who have averaged a 95, and all of those have a budget of at least three times what you’re offering me.’ They were like, ‘Well, we just don’t think we should do it if you don't hit a 95.’”

Heard quite a few stories floating around about budgets cut back and put into these unattainable rewards.

Also this is pure gold.
There’s the story of the mocked mock reviewer, for example. Some background: game publishers and developers often hire consultants or game critics to come into their offices, play early copies of games, and write up mock reviews that predict how those games will perform on Metacritic. Often, if possible, publishers and developers will make changes to their games based on what those mock reviews say. Mock reviewers are then ethically prohibited from writing consumer reviews of that game, as they have taken money from the publisher.

One developer–a high-ranking studio employee who we’ll call Ed–told me he hired someone to write a mock review, then threw that review in the shredder. Ed didn’t care what was inside. He just wanted to make sure the reviewer–a notoriously fickle scorer–couldn’t review his studio’s game. Ed knew that by eliminating at least that one potentially-negative review score from contention, he could skew the Metascore higher. Checkmate.

Jintor

I'm having trouble understanding that. A studio hired someone to review their game and then shredded it. This prevents that guy from reviewing that game for another publication how?

Mock reviewers can't review games for publications because they already accepted money from the game publisher.

Shaneus

In reality though it is a good thing. Although it hinges entirely on the mini-Xbox taking off in popularity with subscriptions to the TV shit. If it doesn't sell well MS will kill it off.

Hoping they still sell regular 360's as I would love to pick one up cheap ($100ish) to store away so I can play my retail games in ten years time. Still got a Gamecube, Xbox & PS2 in storage that were around $50 each brand new!
I think it's a good thing as well. Keeps the Durango price down, allows me to play games on the new system (maybe upscaled? Who knows?) and gives me a portable option for the 360, as well as giving me seamless access to all my old 360 XBLA shit via the Durango's front end. Will definitely get one if it's 100% true... and honestly, it's a genius idea from MS. They can sell to old 360 owners, as well as people who always wanted to get into the 360 but found it too prices and just wanted access to XBLA stuff (or even just Minecraft). Also artificially increases the amount of downloadable games available at launch because that entire library is already there.

I'm having trouble understanding that. A studio hired someone to review their game and then shredded it. This prevents that guy from reviewing that game for another publication how?
Yeah, same. Most I can understand is that because they hired him to do a mock something, a "real" review would be a conflict of interest so it disqualifies him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom