• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too like the idea of add-on BC. Don't want it? The system is cheaper. Want it? It's there. Your old system breaks? Here's a cheaper option.

I almost never use BC so to me it's a better way forward. I wonder whether (or more importantly, how long) the supposed device would play XBLA or XBLIG or on demand games though? Those are my biggest concerns with our all-digital future.

Can't or shouldn't? Do studios frequently hire well known reviewers to write mock reviews?
The article, IIRC, says they "morally shouldn't". Although if they're already taking money for a mock review that's shredded I don't think they're worried about that.

Though I suppose anyone found using "prior consultants" to provide reviews (as happened recently) would be looked upon unfavourably.

The Xbox mini is digital only. No disc drive. So it plays your XBLA games as they won't be compatible with Durango going by rumours. In order to play 360 retail games you need a mini AND a Durango I guess.

Can't or shouldn't? Do studios frequently hire well known reviewers to write mock reviews?

I would expect can't. The publication wouldn't accept it knowing that they have a conflict of interest (game developer gave them money) and the publisher then has the quandry of one score being higher than it would have been without the mock review (which could have cost Bethesda $1 million in the case of New Vegas).

You wouldn't pay someone to do a review of something they helped make if you were running a media outlet would you?

Mock reviewers are then ethically prohibited from writing consumer reviews of that game, as they have taken money from the publisher.

As much as I hate the influence of Metacritic I agree it shouldn't tell us the weightings or change review scores after the initial review.
The first is just too messy and you can vaguely tell it is the big boys that get the strongest weighting any way.
The second means outlets should do the fucking review correctly the first time, don't rush it out. Test Sim City out once it is released and THEN release the review FFS. If you get a freelancer to do a review, get someone with knowledge of the game to proofread it FFS.

I just got to that point in the article. It makes a lot more sense with the prior paragraph included.

Sorry about that, I thought I included it but I was thinking of the first quote :(

LTTP but I started the free copy of The Darkness 2 that I got from GMG with BioShock Infinite and it's actually really good. Digging the comic book visuals too.

Metacritic should be taken a little more lightly by publishers, it is still useful but not a hard and fast ruling on the quality of a game due to the subjective nature.

The producers at publishers should play more games damn it!

LTTP but I started the free copy of The Darkness 2 that I got from GMG with BioShock Infinite and it's actually really good. Digging the comic book visuals too.

One of the best games of last year. I really should do a co-op run at some point.

(same with Far Cry 3 but that is just for the cheevos, need to find a free 1 month gold code somewhere)

teekun

Metacritic should be taken a little more lightly by publishers, it is still useful but not a hard and fast ruling on the quality of a game due to the subjective nature.

Yeah, it's an incredibly useful tool for consumers, but the fact that publishers are using it as a way to set goals for a game in development is insane. Especially when they're using it for determining bonuses and things like that. You can't incentivise good work when your metric is something as unpredictable as subjective quality. Bonuses are a way of rewarding employees who helped make the company money. Moving bonus goals away from sales figures is just a way to fuck over hard working people.

Fredescu

Dear GuitarAusGaf, I got this the other day:

eTTWWqp.jpg

Tone knob schmone knob I say.

Isn't that what happened with Choc? He started out in media didn't he.

Dear GuitarAusGaf, I got this the other day:

Tone knob schmone knob I say.

Nice! I noticed JB have some great prices on instruments. Monterey MGE-14BK Electric Guitar for $96, no idea on that brand quality though. I really need to pick up an electric though to get back into it. Bass playing at night really isn't good when living in town :(

Fredescu

Nice! I noticed JB have some great prices on instruments. Monterey MGE-14BK Electric Guitar for $96, no idea on that brand quality though. I really need to pick up an electric though to get back into it. Bass playing at night really isn't good when living in town :(

Yeah, they have some pretty crazy prices on PRS guitars from time to time. I wouldn't buy a learner guitar without trying it first and seeing what you think about it, if it's comfortable etc. If I was to recommend a beginner electric, it would probably be one of the higher end Squiers, but they start around $300. Like one of these.

Fusebox

Banned
Nice Jag Fredescu, love that grain peeking through man, looks wicked. Hows it sound with the P90s?

I didn't even know JB sold axes let alone PRS lol. Check this one:

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/musical-in...orina-electric-guitar-with-gig-bag-sku-99770/

Awesome value. I find PRs necks a little chunky and over-finished for my liking but there's no denying their quality.

Are you in Sydney by any chance? I should know that already, I must have forgotten. If you're in Sydney I've got a very tidy Squier strat kicking around that you can have for $100 if you want. I bought it to play at work in downtime but I don't work out of hours as much as I used to now.

Shaneus

Same here! Which explains all my NeoGAF posting today lol

Kebab Friday again? Sure, why not!

Also, paging Shaneus
That's... um... weird. No allusions to what sort of game it is? Sounds like something that Suda would put out.

Hmmmm, if I had to chose between the title of "Men's Room Madness" or the developer being ex-Sony Liverpool people as to the reason why you think Shaneus would be interested...

I'm picking the name.
I was nice to you last week, damnit :(

WOW that got destroyed :/

Yeah, they have some pretty crazy prices on PRS guitars from time to time. I wouldn't buy a learner guitar without trying it first and seeing what you think about it, if it's comfortable etc. If I was to recommend a beginner electric, it would probably be one of the higher end Squiers, but they start around $300. Like one of these.
Man they look delicious, my old room mate bought a Squier not too long ago and he loves them. I'm moderately competent on the guitar but haven't touched one in probably 5 years now so I'm mostly interesting in how I go in the new family setting with it. If it feels like a good fit and won't get ignored I'll look at saving up for a huggable one.

I didn't even know JB sold axes let alone PRS lol. Check this one:

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/musical-in...orina-electric-guitar-with-gig-bag-sku-99770/

Awesome value. I find PRs necks a little chunky and over-finished for my liking but there's no denying their quality.

Are you in Sydney by any chance? I should know that already, I must have forgotten. If you're in Sydney I've got a very tidy Squier strat kicking around that you can have for $100 if you want. I bought it to play at work in downtime but I don't work out of hours as much as I used to now.
Yeah I was looking at that one too!

I live out south west Victoria sadly. My brother-in-law has a few extra guitars so I will end up borrowing one of his, thanks for the offer though!

That's... um... weird. No allusions to what sort of game it is? Sounds like something that Suda would put out.

I was nice to you last week, damnit :(

Won't be a racing game going by previous interviews.

Also what have done for him lately? Got him that danish? That's right, nothin'!

Fredescu

Nice Jag Fredescu, love that grain peeking through man, looks wicked. Hows it sound with the P90s?

Close, it's a Jazzmaster. To be fair, I think they have pretty much the same body and it's only the switches (and scale length) that are different, and this model has the switches removed completely. The pickups are these: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/jazzmaster/1103435_36_anti/ . I'm still getting used to the sound, it's pretty different from my strat. The bridge position is amazing. Trebly but still meaty.

Fusebox

Banned
Oh yeah it is a Jazzmaster! Lol almost forgot about them. I saw it and thought, well it's not a Mustang so it must be some kind of new Jag. Duh.

Those pups look rad from the specs. I've got a set of P90s in my Les Paul 50s tribute but damn they hum a lot with gain, way more hum than the single coils in my Strat, I keep meaning to upgrade them with some noiseless or something but I don't play it a lot anyway so I'll live with it for now.

I've always wanted an electric guitar, $100 is mighty tempting.

Jintor

I like that they will take hotel rooms and plane tickets, but draw the line at cash :/

It's very easy to think of services as being 'part of the job'. Money, more difficult to rationalize.

Holy shit, what is in the water over at Capy this week?!?

Also the immediate backlash to Infinite is delicious. Can't wait for them to struggle to explain their thinking in 12 months time. This is one of the best fly-off-the-handle ones I have read. Shame as Golding has written one or two decent pieces in the past.

The extracts I read seemed to be a reasonable critique, but I didn't read the whole article because I haven't played Infinite yet.

Shaneus

Holy shit, what is in the water over at Capy this week?!?

Also the immediate backlash to Infinite is delicious. Can't wait for them to struggle to explain their thinking in 12 months time. This is one of the best fly-off-the-handle ones I have read. Shame as Golding has written one or two decent pieces in the past.
Did you mean to link to page 2? Is that page 2 @ 50pp or 100? Edit: I remember now, have seen both trailers. If they're talking about knocking off the concept for watching a VHS video, they should have a good look at Retro City Rampage.

Also, backlash to Infinite... is that re: violence/shooting, or something else? Why would people explain said backlash in 12 months?

hamchan

Apparently some people even hate the idea of Bioshock Infinite being a shooter. What genre should it be then? Maybe these people would prefer it not even be a game. It's not often we get a decent story and themes in games after all, maybe it just feels unnatural to have quality writing contrasted with standard video game stuff like big violence.

I posted this comparison in the thread, it's a better comparison IMO. The idea is very similar (random channel changing, 80s cartoon theme), but it's hardly original.
Similar idea that has been used tons of times lately. Hell, lots of Italo music contains that stuff in their clips since it is a cliche at this point.

? Is it not a brilliant game now? I haven't played it.
THIS GAME IS NOT THE GAME I WANT IT TO BE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE for the most part.

I have read a few interesting critique of the game (strangely enough mostly on GAF) but for the most part a lot of media outlets are running the usual THIS GAME IS TOO FOCUSED ON BEING AN FPS IT SHOULD BE DEAR ESTHER 2 line.

It has flaws but most of the complaints are that it is an Irrational Games game. It fits into their formula of development since all the way back to System Shock 2. The fact that it is named Bioshock and is a FPS should have set that expectation but no, everyone thought it would be an intellectual masterpiece.

I must have missed the press release from Levine saying, BREAKING: INFINITE WILL GO INTO HEAVY DETAIL ABOUT HEAVY SHIT RATHER THAN JUST TOUCH ON SEVERAL THEMES AS THIS IS A BOOK, NOT A VIDEO GAME

The extracts I read seemed to be a reasonable critique, but I didn't read the whole article because I haven't played Infinite yet.
I'll quote a few that were funny
Vox Populi, the non-white revolutionary movement
Were the white people hanging out with the Vox Populi hypnotised or something then?

BioShock Infinite, as I have noted, wants to be taken seriously, to be held up and applauded for artful substance and narrative as much as its visuals and design. BioShock Infinite wants to be remembered for having something to say.
(Citation required please, most discussion from Irrational pre-release was about the Elizabeth-Booker connection)

BioShock Infinite, the game that many would hope to point to as an example of how art and subtlety might be found in expensive, mainstream videogames, sets up its moral stakes by asking the player if they would like to be a violent bigot. These are the complex and difficult decisions found in videogames in 2013: would you like to be in the Ku Kux Klan or would you like to be Abraham Lincoln? Would you like to join the Nazi party or found the United Nations? Would you like to be for or against?

Do you see the nuance here? Do you see the art?
Oh shit! I forgot every second of a video game should be one or the other!
Subtle or not subtle!
This is the same stupid reaction that Spec Ops The Line got. Why can't you be on the nose at any point? Why does it have to be a hard and fast rule that your game has subtle or heavy handed depth?

In the context of the moment it seems an insane reaction. The moment is there to show all is not well, that this place is not as magical as the walk to the park made it seem. There is another side to this place. It also works very well to establish Booker's reputation in that world, after that moment (regardless of your decision) you learn more about the person you are moving around the game. I also felt the moment was grey, rather than black and white as quoted above, it isn't a for/against moment.

Also, backlash to Infinite... is that re: violence/shooting, or something else? Why would people explain said backlash in 12 months?

In 12 months time plenty of critical analysis will be coming out that has actually required some time and effort to think through, rather than jumping to conclusions to get easy hits as close to the release of the game as possible.

This is the Infinite tweet from another person at Capy that people were talking about too.

Bioshock is so flawed, so horrendous, so damaging, yet sits @ 94% metacritic. It's clear that we have drank our own Kool-Aid pretty hard.

The follow up was hilarious too. Not sure what moron would think that a video game would miraculously fix all the industries problems.

By "we", I mean "we, the game people." All of us. Bioshock Infinite isn't the answer to our problems. It is the best example of them.

Infinite is an interesting game but I can't see myself replaying it anytime. Same goes for BioShock and BioShock 2. Dishonored on the other hand.

I don't think opinions against the hive mind should be disregarded but when its the typical knee jerk reaction... its the same shitty cycle for any big AAA release these days. Hype, acclaim, edgy haters, fake controversy, rinse repeat

Same here! Which explains all my NeoGAF posting today lol

Kebab Friday again? Sure, why not!

Maaan. But I just cooked some pork buns! Next week I guess.

Apparently some people even hate the idea of Bioshock Infinite being a shooter. What genre should it be then? Maybe these people would prefer it not even be a game. It's not often we get a decent story and themes in games after all, maybe it just feels unnatural to have quality writing contrasted with standard video game stuff like big violence.

I didn't mind it being a shooter, but I was kind of frustrated at the way it switched back and forth between story and "stop, wait! Shoot some doodes".

Dead Man

THIS GAME IS NOT THE GAME I WANT IT TO BE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE for the most part.

I have read a few interesting critique of the game (strangely enough mostly on GAF) but for the most part a lot of media outlets are running the usual THIS GAME IS TOO FOCUSED ON BEING AN FPS IT SHOULD BE DEAR ESTHER 2 line.

It has flaws but most of the complaints are that it is an Irrational Games game. It fits into their formula of development since all the way back to System Shock 2. The fact that it is named Bioshock and is a FPS should have set that expectation but no, everyone thought it would be an intellectual masterpiece.

I must have missed the press release from Levine saying, BREAKING: INFINITE WILL GO INTO HEAVY DETAIL ABOUT HEAVY SHIT RATHER THAN JUST TOUCH ON SEVERAL THEMES AS THIS IS A BOOK, NOT A VIDEO GAME

Oh. Those people. I didn't really enjoy Bioshock, so I didn't play 2, and probably won't play Infinite. But why in the hell should a particular game be a certain way? It's normal to want certain types of games, but it's not real useful to criticise a game for not being something it isn't trying to be.

Unrelated, but after much feedback from PCGAF over in the new pc thread, this is what I have now. I feel like it's gone a bit beyond what I wanted, but it's still under 1600 so I think I'm okay with it.

l2qeA26.png

Dead Man

What about criticising a game for not being what it's hailed to be?

Criticise the people hailing it, or the hailing itself. You can't expect a dev to be responsible for wrong thinking by other people.

How to do that without reference to the game/text though?

Yeah, you can't, but you can avoid criticising the game for not being something it is not trying to be. Reference is not criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom