• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
Fairy nuff, although it's dead easy imo. If I ever do need to go back to my Aus account for whatever reason it takes about 3 minutes to swap but that's why I recommend going 100% US account with the Vita.

And yeah definitely add me. You can find me by my imaginatively titled username usaaccount75

My Australian account is Ausgeno if you want to collect the whole set.

In hindsight I really should have chosen something better. Can we change PSN user names? edit: Google says no.

Fredescu

I can definitely see that someone who 'lived' his team or code would could support this. That's the fanatic, though. There are many different levels that support can take, from the all-encompassing fan that consumes every bit of information but that would also go down throughout the levels to people that watch every game and follow some 'off-field' occurrences all the way down to people that watch just the games. Do these other levels of fans not deserve some form of consideration?

That's not the fanatic, it's the casual too. The most casual sports fan isn't the one that watches a game every weekend and doesn't follow any news, such a person would be extremely rare, not to mention not really all that casual. The casual sports fan has a team they support and follows them in the news, checks the results and perhaps rarely watches a game. The type of person who needs to watch every game to the point of taping them and watching them later is certainly not a casual sports fan.

There's probably also something in the fact that due to the permeation of an election result into most facets of our life that makes the result of the election the important part of the equation, not the drama in the see-saw of the score. I recognise that there are some people that would find that thrilling, but I'm also certain that the final results per electorate as pure stats, whether real-time or post result, would also be enough to satisfy them.

For a sports fan, sports results permeate most facets of their lives too. As a kid when you make a bunch of friends that follow the same sport, it becomes pretty much impossible to avoid the fallout on Monday at school (or later, at work) when your team loses badly. From very early on, a tradition is established that results get "discussed" (gloated about, downplayed, etc) more or less straight away. Of course, the results are also broadcast on the nightly news, in the paper the next day, and of course in social media. Social media is particularly great because sport is a live event, in real time, and it can be discussed in real time. Millions of people can say "Wow, did you see that!" at the exact same moment. This can not happen in any of the media you're trying to conflate with sport.

To avoid results, they have to avoid talking to friends, avoid the news (and commercial TV altogether since sports results are often in the advertisements for the nights news), and avoid social media. And god help you if you follow a local team, you'll know the result from the car horns.

You never see "In tonight's news,
Darth Vader
is Luke's father". You never see movie spoilers on the front page of papers or in TV advertisements. Friends will always ask you if you've seen X movie before discussing the twist. You probably get spoilers in social media from time to time, but I'm with you that we should do as much as we can to stamp these out. I don't think I've personally ever been spoiled on something major through social media.

The difference between how sports results and movie plot points are discussed and disseminated is already established. It's not something we can make a little rule about and expect enforcement, because it's just so different from how it happens in the rest of the world.

Not always. Let's take Japan, for example then. Usually, a game is expected to have about a 70% or more sell-through rate in their first week of shipping, with a precipitous decline after that. This is to an extent that games that are not sold within the first month usually get heavily discounted due to lack of interest and a high used game sellback to stores. Some popular games will have much longer tails but for many games, their first week in the sales charts will be their last and only. As this consumption rate more closely reflects a weekly sporting event, should this mean that game spoilers in Japan would be given the same conditions as sport?

Fun fact: In size, a mote of dust is halfway between the earth and a sub atomic particle. It might be fast for a game, but 70% within a week is nowhere near the consumption rate of sport. Not even slightly close. For it to be analogous to a game, almost everyone would have to be playing it at the exact same time at the exact same speed. It's just not comparable.

Outside of whether sport is a spoil-able or not, the internet sometime could do with not assuming that everyone operates to the same schedule that they do. You don't always have to describe the twist ending, you don't need to always name the character that does or talk about that thing that happened was more awesome because you didn't expect it. Sometimes a little bit of self-moderation and consideration for other can go a long way. I also enjoy not discussing certain things until someone has seen or played something; it's far more enjoyable to talk about reactions and feelings when they've gone in unaware as opposed to asking someone "did you enjoy that bit I told you about?"

Agreed, I don't think anyone in this thread has tried to say "there are no spoilers in sport, and by the way there are also no spoilers for movies or games." Sport is a different beast and the onus is on the viewer to avoid any news channels (GAF included) if they really want to delay their viewing for a particular game. This is not a controversial statement, and one that the sports fans in this thread agree with.

Galaxy S3 16GB for $359 shipped, super scam it seems :/
Galaxy Note 2 16GB for $399 shipped, still a scam just bigger sized

Rocksmith on PS3 with cable is $29 shipped from Play Asia
Lumines on Vita is $12.50 (plus $5 postage if your cart is under $25) from Play Asia too if you don't already have it

Danoss

Galaxy S3 16GB for $359 shipped, super scam it seems :/

How about a Galaxy S3 16GB for $389 shipped? The 4G LTE variety appears to be $405 shipped. Price only applies to black as other colours are more expensive, who knew that different plastic dies attracted such a price premium? Absurd.

I've purchased plenty of camera equipment from DWI and not had a problem. You can pay extra for express shipping and it's ridiculously fast, but the free postage is also pretty quick.

Agreed, I don't think anyone in this thread has tried to say "there are no spoilers in sport, and by the way there are also no spoilers for movies or games." Sport is a different beast and the onus is on the viewer to avoid any news channels (GAF included) if they really want to delay their viewing for a particular game. This is not a controversial statement, and one that the sports fans in this thread agree with.

I'm imagining news outlets changing their tune to keep those concerned with sports "spoilers" satisfied.

Samantha: "And here's Peter with sport"
Peter: "Thanks Samantha. Plenty of action in the sports arena today, but we won't be reporting any of it. Unfortunately, some people don't want sports news and highlights as soon as possible and can't figure out how to stay away from media until they've watched the game in their own time, so we'll be delaying until a week after the game has been played. Hopefully this will be sufficient to keep such people at bay. Remember, you'll hear it first at Imaginary News Outlet, except sport, because some people are whiners."

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
For those doing the C25K. How are you going about it aside from actually running. Are you using any particular application on your phone for it or is it just all mental work with reminding yourself when and how to go about it?

Jintor

Aww hell no you gotta have a beeper in your ear or it all goes to shit

I use an app for android called Ease into C25k, don't bother with the GPS feature. Once i figured out that the inbuilt music player accepts my normal playlists everything has been fine

Fusebox

Banned
For those doing the C25K. How are you going about it aside from actually running. Are you using any particular application on your phone for it or is it just all mental work with reminding yourself when and how to go about it?

I use this one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25k-5k-trainer-free/id485971733?mt=8

The free version is fine, I paid for the full version just to support the devs because I intend to keep using it. The reason I like this one is it works with Spotify, so I can have my own music playing and at the intervals that the app has figured out it just drops the music volume a bit and says 'start walking', 'start running', 'start walking' and so on.

Oh and good shoes man! I got fitted for some Mizunos that are designed for people that overpronate. I didn't even know what overpronating was before I get fitted, I would have guessed it had something to do with my arse but nope. Good shoes for running feel so good.

I'm using Endomondo Pro on Android, which is a generic exercise app. You don't need a specific C25K app, one that allows you to enter intervals will be enough. I just entered the intervals manually as needed, using the ones here: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_metric.html

Basically I just set walking as "low intensity" and running as "medium intensity", and it would beep and let me know when to start the next phase. That particular app mutes other music/podcasts to let you know what's going on. Once I hit 5km I now just tell it I have a 5km goal and go from there, with it telling me every 1km about my pace and such so I know how far I have to go.

You could do it without an app, and just do the timed intervals instead of the distance intervals. Shouldn't be a big problem, but the metric thing I listed above seems to assume I can run much faster than I actually can.

Managed for the second time this morning to do 5km in under 30 minutes (all 1km legs under 5 min each), so that's pretty good.

Jintor

That too. Although he does have a job so I assume that's just his internet laziness and he shapes up for things that matter professionally. Or not?

Always funny to me when people who claim inside knowledge mock the suppositions of those with no knowledge just rumours from other sources. Post that shit anonymously earlier or shut the fuck up you twat.

"Hey guys!

I totally have insider knowledge!

These 5 rumours here that have a lot of mounting similar rumours are true!

This one stupid rumour here that hasn't been backed up in months is false! You idiots!

I know all!

I will offer nothing new to these rumours!"

That thread was a waste of time. Aside from the whole 32x thing.

Rezbit

So Black Caviar has been retired. Just a lazy 25 wins straight. 8 mil in prize money and now all the cash made from having babies. Damn wish I had a cut of that.

Shaneus

Anyone having problems with data or calls on Telstra mobile right now? As in, someone not in my office building? Myself and at least one other guy can't make calls or receive data.

Fusebox

Banned
No probs in Sydney, we have a few smaller sites around Melbourne using 3G routers but they can work offline for a day or two and all our Melbourne staff are on Telstra with their blackberrys but meh, they can go make a cup of coffee and use their desk phones until it's fixed.

Sounds like it's fixed now anyway?

Thanks for the response, Fred. There are a couple of points that I agree with in there and a couple that, whilst I don't necessarily agree with them, I can definitely see the rationale and can understand why people feel the way that they do.

I think we're at a point where further discussion (while I did enjoy it) would be retreading our opinions and facing diminishing returns. If you do have more that you wish to discuss I'm happy to do so, I just don't want this to become a tired, unwanted discussion in the thread. Especially since I don't have any investment when it comes to sport and spoilers.

It's so hard to find people that don't, though. Most people take one look at me and practically beg.

It's a hard life, I tells ya.
I did not need to know that bit of information about you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541176

The writing reminds me a little of Choc. Same with the writing on the Twitter account: https://twitter.com/4d7220335f

*shrug*
Capitals and punctuation? gedthufugouddahere

So Black Caviar has been retired. Just a lazy 25 wins straight. 8 mil in prize money and now all the cash made from having babies. Damn wish I had a cut of that.

Would be nice. Have a few mates who "invest" in race horses, from what they've said your better off just gambling on the races.

Well gee it's boring on here tonight.

Guess the state!

A man who fell from the balcony of a sailing club while attempting a handstand is suing for damages

In District Court documents, Mr Cucuk says he had been drinking for seven hours before the party and club staff breached their duty of care by serving him more alcohol.

He claims there were not enough staff on duty to supervise the partygoers and nobody prevented him from going onto the balcony.

It would have been obvious to a reasonable person in his position that standing on the balcony railing and/or attempting handstands presented a risk of injury
Grange Club defence
Mr Cucuk also claims the club had a duty of care to ensure those who might become intoxicated were not at risk of injury due to the state of the premises.

He is arguing the club failed to ensure the balustrade "was of a sufficient height to prevent a person falling".

In its defence, the Grange club denies staff kept serving the man.

"Alcohol was not provided to intoxicated guests," it said.

It argued the balcony met national safety standards and Mr Cucuk should have known attempting handstands on the railing presented a risk of injury.

"The plaintiff voluntarily assumed the risk of falling from the balcony," the club argued.

"It would have been obvious to a reasonable person in his position that standing on the balcony railing and/or attempting handstands presented a risk of injury."

He has his Facebook profile on public. Includes bitching about being fined for driving on an expired licence

:/

THIS IS THE SOCIAL AGE PEOPLE, WISE UP

markot

Banned
Oh come on. Foxtel is shit evil crap arse and other words.

I love that just as cable is dying in the US its catching on in Australia >.>

Jintor

Yeah well that's because netflix doesn't exist here and qstream or whatever the fuck it is has the market presence of a gnat

markot

Banned
Yeah well that's because netflix doesn't exist here and qstream or whatever the fuck it is has the market presence of a gnat

Ironically Quickshit was bought by HBO!

Its the terrible download limits and shit. They dont have that crap in the USA. Kinda kills streaming when you always have one eye on your quota...

Hell, my main piracy is due to the shit Foxtel pulls. Cant watch the daily show online cause of those cruntlers.

senahorse

The pay TV market in this country is horrible, well I guess it's not really much of a market. No wonder Murdoch Co is so scared of Labor's NBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom