• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Has anyone used a reshipping service from the US? I want to buy some shoes but the wankers say it will cost $55 to ship them express and give no surface shipping option. I know reshippers are normally for products that won't ship to Australia, so I don't know if it will actually be cheaper.

Fredescu

Australia's political system is FUBAR, and the 2 party system is having a lot to do with why.

We don't really have a two party system. We have preferential voting which means voting for a minority isn't "throwing your vote away" since you can just put your preferred major party as #2. Because of this, it's been fairly rare lately for the government to have a majority in both houses. This tends to keep things fairly centered as you're only going to get heavily ideological policy through when you have a majority in both houses. Like Workchoices. But then that got that government thrown out fairly quickly.

They complain about "the two party system" in the US, but they have literally no one holding any seat of power that isn't in one of the two majors. Here we have a bunch of Greens, a few independants, is that family first guy still kicking round? Democrats once upon a time. Maybe we'll get a Wikileaks party senator or a One Nation senator next time around. Who knows!

The state of political discourse might be absolutely terrible at the moment, but I think the general mechanics are fairly sound.

Bottom line is, you don't have to vote for Kang or Kodos.

Has anyone used a reshipping service from the US? I want to buy some shoes but the wankers say it will cost $55 to ship them express and give no surface shipping option. I know reshippers are normally for products that won't ship to Australia, so I don't know if it will actually be cheaper.

I haven't used them, but have a look at the shipping calculator on http://www.shipito.com/

Dead Man

We don't really have a two party system. We have preferential voting which means voting for a minority isn't "throwing your vote away" since you can just put your preferred major party as #2. Because of this, it's been fairly rare lately for the government to have a majority in both houses. This tends to keep things fairly centered as you're only going to get heavily ideological policy through when you have a majority in both houses. Like Workchoices. But then that got that government thrown out fairly quickly.

They complain about "the two party system" in the US, but they have literally no one holding any seat of power that isn't in one of the two majors. Here we have a bunch of Greens, a few independants, is that family first guy still kicking round? Democrats once upon a time. Maybe we'll get a Wikileaks party senator or a One Nation senator next time around. Who knows!

The state of political discourse might be absolutely terrible at the moment, but I think the general mechanics are fairly sound.

Bottom line is, you don't have to vote for Kang or Kodos.
I think there needs to be more education about how the preferential system works, as I talk to people these days they have no idea that you can make a primary vote for a minor party and not waste your vote.

I haven't used them, but have a look at the shipping calculator on http://www.shipito.com/
Ah, options, that's much better!

Clipper

Cheers.

Edit: Doesn't look like it will be much cheaper once I add shipping to their warehouse. Thanks though.
Yeah, you're probably looking at that price no matter what. However, if you get more stuff, it won't add much. You can get them to combine several shipments, so if there's other import stuff you are considering, get it all at once to massively save on the shipping price.

Ah, options, that's much better!
I've used Shipito quite a bit too, but keep in mind that you can't ship to most of their locations unless you pay extra. If you use the Torrance location (the one with all the options), then you will likely need to pay sales tax as well when you make the purchase (Oregon is tax free while California has really high tax), so make sure you factor that into your calculations.

Fusebox

Banned

I've used myus.com a lot in the past but I doubt it would work out cheaper if you're just getting one pair of shoes.

- Plan B Model 15
- Tip Top Audio Z3000
- Jones O'Tool Oscilloscope
- Harvestman Double Andore

???

Plan B that I bought from you at Muffs
Z3000 that I bought from you at Muffs
Jones Osc
Double Andore
Bubblesound SEM20 that I bought from you at Muffs!

Hahah, small world isn't it man.

I'm sequencing it all from my Minibrute these days, the ES-3 was just a little fiddly for my liking.

iOS is far better for pinball right now. Having said that, PA has now just been confirmed on Greenlight :D

Gotta agree. It was cool that my Marvel tables from the PS3 were automatically unlocked on my Vita but I far prefer the size of the iPad for pinball.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it could be a bit of fun. I was thinking it has a very Matrix vibe to it, mixed with a healthy dose of Men in Black and hint of the old west. Big stupid fun.

Yeah looks like it could be good. Strangely that was the first time I'd heard of it when you posted it. If the trailer is anything to go by there should be a few good one liners.

Clipper

One more thing to consider... When I get shoes, I usually get them from shoemetro.com. Pretty good prices and the shipping to Australia goes from $18-$40 depending on speed.

Shaneus

Yeah looks like it could be good. Strangely that was the first time I'd heard of it when you posted it. If the trailer is anything to go by there should be a few good one liners.
Never mind it has the woman from Weeds in it. Never going to say no to her in a movie.

PS. Fusion: Just had a look at that Minibrute (I'd never heard of it before). Damn, that thing is sexy as hell. As for me, I still need to learn how to use Ableton (or similar) :/
That actually reminds me... I haven't used it much outside of plugging it in and having a quick fuck around, but I bought one of these for $50 and it could well come in handy for you. If not, it's cheap and it looks like something from Knight Rider.
PPS. What's "Muffs"?

Shaneus

Muffs!

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/index.php

You would really like the General Gear section I reckon man.
Wow, that forum looks like it's on another level to me. I think I need to get back into the base stuff first before blowing my load all over there. I just dug out my old (because it's second-hand) Electribe ER-1 for playing with, should start fiddling again.

On that note... the Electribe stuff for iPad. Worth it? Comparable to the physical box?

That USB controller is pretty sexy, you could really great use out of those faders and buttons for general Ableton navigation and tweaking. I'm tempted to get one for that price.
Yeah, I snapped it up REALLY quick because I thought they'd sell out, but they've been on sale for quite a while. I'm not sure how customisable it can be (I'm still sketchy on how anything can be tweaked/mapped to use something that has controller support) but I'm sure everything can be assigned to something. Plus, it really does look good. Free copy of Virtual DJ LE too, bahaha (I think).

Pc Ausgaf. Bf3 for $5 today. 12pm-12am. Even though it is ea and uses origin, it's still a decent game. And for $5 you'd be silly not to get it. [/end rep sales pitch]

https://www.facebook.com/events/362137787220125/
Will jump in. Is that local time? Australia only or worldwide? And I buy it on Origin directly or is it via a special link?

NBA Playoffs stream free REALLY this time! Only Game 1 though. Need to cancel by Tuesday after watching them to avoid getting charged the whole thing. Hopefully I can watch the Spurs Vs. Lakers stream.

Dark Souls GOTY Edition for 360 is $30 posted at BTB
Skyward Sword for Wii is $25 posted at BTB

Indie Gala Mass Effect - $6 for Mass Effect 2 (Origin), Shank 2 (Steam), Shadowgrounds (Steam), Zombie Driver HD (Steam) and another Steam game to be revealed.

Jintor

I went into EB yesterday to preorder Fire Emblem and I swear to god half that store is now action figures and skylanders and minecraft helmets. Good for them if it's helping them profit I guess.

Stackboy

Also from the ninemsn homepage:

Untitled_zpsbe95bde9.jpg:original

Shame on me for thinking Australia was a little more progressive than that, and the fact Gillard...an atheist is against it and won't explain why is astounding. The homophobia that is still prevalent in this day and age is amazing.

Shame on you for thinking that users of Ninemsn are a good example of what Australians are really thinking.

I know this was said before, but I'm slow.

a poll saying something should be legalised is a bit leading if the subject isn't actually a criminal offence.

same-sex marriage isn't recognised by the law in Australia. Meaning if you were a gay couple who got married, the government wouldn't recognise it as a marriage in terms of benefits, taxes, family court matters etc. Well no more than a de facto relationship at least. If you went to NZ to marry your partner you wouldn't be arrested on your return to australia and charged with anything.

semantics but anyhoo.

Whilst tangentially on the same subject, are "Tom is Gay" stickers common? I saw one on the back of a ute yesterday and I'll bet I know to whom they are referring. pun intended

One more thing to consider... When I get shoes, I usually get them from shoemetro.com. Pretty good prices and the shipping to Australia goes from $18-$40 depending on speed.
Or see if you can find somewhere that does 'fulfilled by Amazon' on Amazon, as the speed and price are both reasonable. Not all shoes can be shipped this way (even shoes from the same brand will differ as to whether they can/can't be sent).

senahorse

LOL, Turnbull got torn a new asshole at the NBN enquiry, and his FTTN plan and claims of Labors 90B NBN ripped to shreds.

Also NBN will offer up to 1Gb plans before the end of the year and are now referring to it as a 1Gb network.

No doubt some of the media will find a negative slant to it all.

Omikron

LOL, Turnbull got torn a new asshole at the NBN enquiry, and his FTTN plan and claims of Labors 90B NBN ripped to shreds.

Also NBN will offer up to 1Gb plans before the end of the year and are now referring to it as a 1Gb network.

No doubt some of the media will find negative slant to it all.

The problem is, they probably just won't report it, therefore the LIbs getting their misinformation out there is what is important. Seen it happen again and again.

senahorse

It would be really unfortunate if they don't just let the NBN go ahead as is after the reaming their policy just got, but politicians gonna politicise.

Turnbull already came out and admitted that their solution would cost more and deliver slower speeds than the NBN. They just needed to make the initial announcement sound like they had a better plan than Labor, the typical voter won't follow the issue further.

Shaneus

Battlefield 3 get. Note: Not bought for actual gaming purposes, because (as is my understanding) it has more non-interactive scenes than MGS4. Which is technically impossible, but they managed to do it.

jambo

Battlefield 3 get. Note: Not bought for actual gaming purposes, because (as is my understanding) it has more non-interactive scenes than MGS4. Which is technically impossible, but they managed to do it.

Who the fuck plays Battlefield for singleplayer?

Shaneus

Ugh, the reason I don't go into the main Gaming area continues:
YvIlkb7.png

I'd love to see some kind of threads that ask for people's favourite whatever. Or something that at least allows the question to be open-ended (like, what's your favourite RTS and why?). Shits me to tears, they should all be locked, users banned for a day with a message "What exactly the fuck did you hope to achieve by creating a thread like that?".

Technically it's single-player with a hyphen, mother-fucker =P
You were still wrong, Adelaide-boy.

AusGaf 9: Puns and Pedants
No, we're using the one I came up with a few pages back that I can't remember.

Dead Man

Yeah, you're probably looking at that price no matter what. However, if you get more stuff, it won't add much. You can get them to combine several shipments, so if there's other import stuff you are considering, get it all at once to massively save on the shipping price.

I've used Shipito quite a bit too, but keep in mind that you can't ship to most of their locations unless you pay extra. If you use the Torrance location (the one with all the options), then you will likely need to pay sales tax as well when you make the purchase (Oregon is tax free while California has really high tax), so make sure you factor that into your calculations.
Yeah, I think I just have to suck it up and pay the shipping. Didn't even think of sales tax. Wish I was on better terms with my family in... Oregon LOL
I've used myus.com a lot in the past but I doubt it would work out cheaper if you're just getting one pair of shoes.
Yep :(
Thanks for the tip on other store, I'll check them out.
The problem is, they probably just won't report it, therefore the LIbs getting their misinformation out there is what is important. Seen it happen again and again.
Interesting article in a rural paper:
http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/1438714/regional-australians-dive-into-the-nbn-fast-lane/?cs=2452

A NEW poll shows regional Australians would be happy to pay big bucks for very-fast internet, casting doubt over claims Labor’s National Broadband Network will be too expensive to use.

The latest instalment in Fairfax Regional Media’s online opinion poll, Election 2013: Hot or Not?, has revealed a core chunk of the Coalition’s constituency – rural and regional Australians – prefer Julia Gillard’s $44.1 billion NBN plan over Tony Abbott’s $29.4 billion alternative.

Nearly 40 per cent of respondents said they would be prepared to pay up to $50 a month for unlimited high-speed broadband. Twenty-six per cent said they’d be happy to shell out up to $75 a month. A further per cent even indicated they would pay more than $75 a month.

Dead Man

Ugh, the reason I don't go into the main Gaming area continues:
YvIlkb7.png

I'd love to see some kind of threads that ask for people's favourite whatever. Or something that at least allows the question to be open-ended (like, what's your favourite RTS and why?). Shits me to tears, they should all be locked, users banned for a day with a message "What exactly the fuck did you hope to achieve by creating a thread like that?".

You were still wrong, Adelaide-boy.

No, we're using the one I came up with a few pages back that I can't remember.

Hey hey hey, calm down with those regional insults sunshine, anyone from Adelaide knows that anyone not from Adelaide is wrong if they disagree with someone from Adelaide!

And can you not just not read those threads? Why does it bother you so?

Shaneus

Hey hey hey, calm down with those regional insults sunshine, anyone from Adelaide knows that anyone not from Adelaide is wrong if they disagree with someone from Adelaide!
I only use it against Jambo... everyone else from there seems to be okay.

And can you not just not read those threads? Why does it bother you so?
I don't read them! But seeing them in the list of threads under Gaming offends my senses. If someone could write a script to search for "favorite" and remove the entire line, I'd be all for it. I like going in that general area, but not when it's stuffed with irrelevant crap like that.

I might create one just for shits and giggles.

I should be happy today, I'm getting my car back from being repaired. But no Pinball Arcade update and no TV make Shaneus something something.

Although this makes me happy, and somewhat glad I still tolerate the main Gaming page on GAF:
Another GFW Radio (The Brodeo) reunion coming soon? Get excited in here!

Dead Man

And after all that they don't take non US credit cards anyway. That's one way to get around offering international shipping on brands that don't normally offer it, prevent it another way. Motherfuckers and the stupid restrictions on buying shit! Fuck it makes me mad! All just to protect regional distributors who contribute nothing to the product except a 100% mark up.

I only use it against Jambo... everyone else from there seems to be okay.
LOL :)

I don't read them! But seeing them in the list of threads under Gaming offends my senses. If someone could write a script to search for "favorite" and remove the entire line, I'd be all for it. I like going in that general area, but not when it's stuffed with irrelevant crap like that.

I might create one just for shits and giggles.

I should be happy today, I'm getting my car back from being repaired. But no Pinball Arcade update and no TV make Shaneus something something.
Fair enough. Just seems like it is weird to be upset about people wanting to discuss things (poorly, but still) on a discussion board. If it were specifically a news board or something I can see it, but GAF has always had those sorts of threads, and probably less than lots of places.

Jambo better still have a rockin' beard in that mirror.

And after all that they don't take non US credit cards anyway. That's one way to get around offering international shipping on brands that don't normally offer it, prevent it another way. Motherfuckers and the stupid restrictions on buying shit! Fuck it makes me mad! All just to protect regional distributors who contribute nothing to the product except a 100% mark up.

Hey hey hey calm down sunshine, you can always buy locally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom