• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out into the backyard to see if I could grab some macro shots before the sun went down this afternoon. There was nothing but leaf-curling spiders for ages and they're inuickly dwindling to nothing and my legs well bitten and incredibly itchy, it was time to head inside.

thas a dope fly
you might say he looks pretty fly

Kritz

Banned
I have a free copy of Zeno Clash to give away. It's a really fun 2 hour first person brawler with some seriously fucked up amazing art and themes. Message me on Steam if you want it.

I also have 3 alpha invites to Arma 3 that I need to get rid of. These don't give you access to MP as far as I know, but you still get to play the 3-4 showcase SP levels. Again, hit me up on Steam.

Steam ID's Kritz7.

Danoss

You're not alone. A couple of random tips from someone not very prolific or good at street shooting: Go to busy places (festivals). Stand and compose a photo, waiting for someone to enter frame. If 'caught', give a little nod and a smile. It's better to take the photo and apologise than ask first. The worst you'll usually get is curiosity, rarely anger. You're doing this for a uni course. Shoot from the hip (pre-focus, set to around 50mm zoom).

Once I can get over my anxiety in such situations, I'll get right into it. I have a great camera for street photography in the Fuji X100; it's discreet enough to not drawn much attention. Thanks for the tips though!

Alright! After dropping from 98kg before my bout of viral infection to 91kg 2 weeks later I thought my muscles had reaccumulated enough that I could start C25K again! Was enjoyable despite the cold, just doing the 0.25/1 stuff at the moment. Picked an awesome post-apoc uptempo playlist (Perturbator, Burial, Churches, HTDA, ShockOne, Telefon Tel Aviv) and got through it unscathed. Hammy is a bit tender but better than I expected. Now to stick with it!?!

Also first major blow to Port's season :( :(

At the last big homosexual meeting (you know, where they discuss their agenda and plans for worldwide domination) they decided to only use homosexual papers for now.
pZLjI.png

depends where you go. My grandmother lives in the shitty area but apparently they are "kicking all the drug dealers out to make way for luxury investments".
Sounds about right! Lots of swanky suburbs used to be the places where the "gays" and the gypsy's used to hang out.

Also since when aren't drug dealers living in luxury! This isn't a third world country!

Have you checked Big Dub? Dunno what it's like elsewhere, but mine had Fire Emblem and Weegee when I was there last week while JB had neither and EB only had Weegee.
Yeah Big W is god tier for Ninty stuff.

Hey, cinco de mayo this weekend. I will make tacos. But here is something I found for Rep in the meantime.

EalqpmU.jpg
esg8sgv.gif

BRB, downloading the new United States of Bacon episode.

Pro tip: If you want Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or Animal Crossing. Preorder it now.
Pro tip:
vook3trgu.png

N8WDeuF.jpg

With the available light quickly dwindling to nothing and my legs well bitten and incredibly itchy, it was time to head inside.
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnn that is awesome! How cool is it that you can get that kind of awesome photo just in your own yard! Nature is cool.

Darklord

Banned
Yes. What do you hope to achieve though?

Just to have a wifi point for my phone and anything else I need.

It would only work if your modem/router supports WiFi too of course. And your PC would only use one connection or the other at a time for the Internet and stuff, whichever it deemed better (or whichever you forced it to use). It wouldn't double your bandwidth or anything.

Oh so if it was using wifi it couldn't also use ethernet? I remember having the old nintendo dongle for wifi, it let me use both but that was more specific I guess.

guys htc or gs4
and why
how come everyone got the htc all fo a sudden
i also dont particularly want to pay 800 for a phone or have it be as big as it is but no ones making sub 4" phones thesedays so :(
did they start making pockets bigger?

Ydahs

Hey AusGAF, I need some advice...

I've lost a passion for gaming, can't play footy this year from a shin injury and am regretting taking my masters course. This loss of interest all came up at once and I'm left feeling a bit miserable, with little direction in life. Social life has taken a hit too. Only thing I have going for me now is my website, which I love working on.

I'm sure we've all been at this stage before where the world just seems so... boring. For the last four or five years, I've challenged myself to do something big and succeeded each time. This year? Nothing. I've gotten nothing done at all. I can't find the motivation to do anything. I've "rediscovered" old hobbies (guitar, writing, music) but life feels like it's at a standstill. Not something you want to admit at the age of twenty one.

Any recommendations on what I should do? Or can do? Any places around Melbourne which could give me a good mental boost? Any good events around the corner? I'm considering taking next semester off and going on a holiday alone. No family, no friends. Just myself, reassessing my life with no distractions.

Darklord

Banned
A few hours ago I was laughing with friends and my biggest worry was what movie I'm going to watch. I'm now sitting here, heart broken, single, and lost the love of my life in a way I really didn't expect to happen. We didn't want to end it which made it even harder but had to due to the situation. I wish today had never happened. :(

That sucks dude. Care to share what happened?

I just woke up from a dream where I was on a trip for work or something and an ex tracked me down at the hotel and tried to hook up with me. I refused and she sent me naked pics in the mail and a letter asking me to participate in a threesome, which caused all sorts of problems with my wife.

And I was like "I didn't do anything wrong!" But she didn't believe me.

It's like the premise of a Jason Segel movie.

Stackboy

I've lost a passion for gaming, can't play footy this year from a shin injury and am regretting taking my masters course. This loss of interest all came up at once and I'm left feeling a bit miserable, with little direction in life. Social life has taken a hit too. Only thing I have going for me now is my website, which I love working on.

I'm sure we've all been at this stage before where the world just seems so... boring. For the last four or five years, I've challenged myself to do something big and succeeded each time. This year? Nothing. I've gotten nothing done at all. I can't find the motivation to do anything. I've "rediscovered" old hobbies (guitar, writing, music) but life feels like it's at a standstill. Not something you want to admit at the age of twenty one.

Any recommendations on what I should do? Or can do? Any places around Melbourne which could give me a good mental boost? Any good events around the corner? I'm considering taking next semester off and going on a holiday alone. No family, no friends. Just myself, reassessing my life with no distractions.

Are you in the position to travel? Even locally, take a weekend, go away with a friend or 2 and put yourself in a different situation. That always gives me some good perspective. Camping is really worthwhile if you want to change things up. You'll get back and find yourself enthusiastic again.

A few hours ago I was laughing with friends and my biggest worry was what movie I'm going to watch. I'm now sitting here, heart broken, single, and lost the love of my life in a way I really didn't expect to happen. We didn't want to end it which made it even harder but had to due to the situation. I wish today had never happened. :(

Really sorry to hear that man, just occupy your time with the things you enjoy doing and remember that it always gets better.

Omikron

Happens... I tend to go in stages of playing the shit out of a game, then not playing anything for ages. Currently I am on a code writing bent and only really playing board games online with people.

BTW, your site is pretty good now, certainly much more consistent in its content than say, fanfooty, which seems pretty much broken whenever I try and access it these days, also, what is with those Windows 3.1 style menus he is using ffs? :S

I can't tell you what to do, but maybe I can shed some light on maybe what not to do based upon my own experience.

I love drawing. I've always wanted to be an artist. Leaving high school I applied for an Animation course but didn't get in. I finished my business management course which I had put in as a back up and applied again for animation when I had finished it. I was successful in my second attempt and everything was great. Kind of.

During my animation course I was also working a very-close-to full-time job. It was tough, and the drive for both my work and my art suffered. All of a sudden, drawing was less of a love and more of a responsibility that I had to do around work. At the end of the course I was burnt out, to the point where I didn't want to do anything, including draw. I didn't want to do anything and due to the change of drawing because I loved it and drawing because I had to, I questioned if I should even be trying to do it as a career. I questioned if that meant that I should be drawing at all.

So I didn't. For a long time. In a life full of regrets and a multitude of mistakes, that was and still in the biggest mistake of my life.

Over the years my skills have atrophied, even though I still draw from time to time. I mainly doodle, because if I try to draw something properly I just become frustrated with how far I've gone backwards and lament where my skills possible could have been if I had not stopped drawing.

I'm not happy with my life it is right now I don't like my job and when I think about what job I would like, there are none that I can think of. What would I really like to get paid to do? Draw. So I now I have to try and force myself to work through the barrier of disliking my own atrophied skills in order for me to get to the point where I can even start looking at working in the field.

This is all 10 years later than it should have been and it's a struggle. It's also frustrating because I gave up on my passion when, if I'd worked through it I could be living a completely different life right now.

My advice to you is this: even though you've lost all motivation within your life don't stop doing the things that you have loved doing in the past. Give yourself time to re-evaluate your life but keep doing those things that you had a passion for; there is a reason why you did them in the past, so don't let those interests and skills lay fallow for too long.

At some point in the future you may realize that your life is missing something and that may be the very things that you gave up during the period of your life you're currently experiencing. Keep on doing the things that you loved, even if just a little bit. At some point your life's path will become clearer and it may involve the very things you're thinking about giving up.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now and like I said, this isn't really advice, it's just a perspective from someone that possibly went through what you are and made the wrong decisions. At least for me, anyway.

I hope you're able to work through this, Ydahs.

I don't have anything to say apart from sorry, Darklord. I'm really sorry. I hope you can move past this quickly and find some happiness once again in your life.

DmC on PS3 is $37 posted at Play Asia

WOW HD have 20% off. You can pre-order Animal Crossing 3DS for $37. UK stock.

Buy a Vita!

Also have you considered helping out coaching the Auskick at your club? Mate of mine who got injured got through that period by getting more involved in the club at it really kept him positive about the whole thing.

That sucks man. Hopefully over the coming days and weeks everything can clear up and make more sense.

What movie did you go see in the end?

I just woke up from a dream where I was on a trip for work or something and an ex tracked me down at the hotel and tried to hook up with me. I refused and she sent me naked pics in the mail and a letter asking me to participate in a threesome, which caused all sorts of problems with my wife.

And I was like "I didn't do anything wrong!" But she didn't believe me.

It's like the premise of a Jason Segel movie.
But you forget Mr. Squirrel. It is always your fault and you always do something wrong. That is the contract you signed.

Also how did your ex track down your new postal address?

Forgot to post a photo of a chili dog after Rep's great suggestion. I missed out on lunch yesterday due to tight work commitments so gorged on dinner:

929ab2e8b0a711e28eb922000a1fbc88_6.jpg

Jintor

Damn man

hugs

Shaneus

PAX?

Drugs?

PAX on Drugs?

In all seriousness (although I am a little serious about the first two... the second option can be life-changing (for the better)), I can go for a year or two without achieving anything significant and not feel as bad as how you sound. Do you have good friends you can hang around with as inspiration, maybe?

If you can, maybe just don't think of every year as something where you need to do something.

Travel can definitely help. It is almost always invigorating, even more so if you throw yourself in the deep end and go by yourself. Hell, listening to the latest GFW makes me want to do Amsterdam by myself!

What did they write?

Ah shit, man. Share if you feel like it, or not... whatever you feel you need to do. But whenever in similar situations, I find a big-ticket purchase always calms the soul.

You know the Vita has some pretty good stuff on it ;)

Are you in the position to travel? Even locally, take a weekend, go away with a friend or 2 and put yourself in a different situation. That always gives me some good perspective. Camping is really worthwhile if you want to change things up. You'll get back and find yourself enthusiastic again.
Pretty much this. I hadn't even considered something local, but a weekend without technology in somewhere remote (without noise/air/light pollution) with friends could be the thing Shady's looking for. Cleansing, if you will.

PS. Jase's post is enlightening as well. I'm not sure exactly how or what any of us can take from it... but it seems wise somehow. Maybe it's that you shouldn't force yourself to stick to hobbies just because you're obligated to, or don't let any one aspect of your life impede on your ability to enjoy another? I'm not quite sure.

I'm friends on PSN with that guy! Totes besties now.

PPS. I thought about trying to make the chilli last night, but I got home lateish (fucking trains) and saw how much time it took some recipes to cook (some where hours, others were only a few minutes. Damn confusing). So I'm hoping to do something tonight, because the meat expires on Thursday.

I also need to buy containers because there's no way I'll be able to eat ~3kg of chilli in a few days.

Or is there?

Danoss

Just got a phone call from the psychiatrists office. Apparently the person I spoke to made a mistake. The appointment has been cancelled, he's not taking on new patients. Fucking hell.

Shaneus

Ugh, are you fucking serious?!? That's a pretty big fuckup, considering the people who are likely to actually be patients are the ones who are least likely to deal with such news poorly.

Bloody hell, man :(

r1chard

Christ Danoss that's bad form on their part :-(

To keep up the cheery mood...

DeathAbacus.gif

... and to celebrate I booked my first appointment with a psychologist to talk about [edit for over-sharing] shit.

Ydahs - travel is usually pretty inspirational for me. If you're skint it can just be driving around Australia. I currently have enough FF points to fly to Tokyo, somewhere I've wanted to go for ages. It's really difficult not just booking the flight right now - to do so would be irresponsible in my situation, but geez...

PS. Jase's post is enlightening as well. I'm not sure exactly how or what any of us can take from it... but it seems wise somehow. Maybe it's that you shouldn't force yourself to stick to hobbies just because you're obligated to, or don't let any one aspect of your life impede on your ability to enjoy another? I'm not quite sure.
Hmmm,I guess my rambly advice was too rambly and not full of clear advice/personal experience; I wrote that quite quickly while trying to do too much this morning, so I apologize. Poorly communicated advice is as bad as poor advice, so let's take another stab, while trying to be a little more succinct. This reply is more about Ydahs talking about not having the motivation to do the things that he had loved doing in the past and has stopped doing them.

In my experience: don't drop what you have traditionally loved doing - the things that have driven you in the past - because you're going through a period with low motivation. It is those very things that enrich your life and give you a reason to get up, better yourself, go towards making you who you are and ultimately (should) lead to your happiness/contentment in life.

If you stop doing those things, you will get used to living without them. You'll fill your life with other pursuits but they'll never give you the same satisfaction as those that you left behind.

It's a horrible realisation when you discover that your unhappiness with life is because you left those things behind because you suffered a crisis of confidence in your life direction and now you have to change course much later in your life.

By all means, take some time off, re-evaluate your life and what you want to do with it. Keep in touch with those hobbies and activities that bring you happiness, even if it's just a little bit. When your motivation comes back, you want to still have those activities in your routine, so that you can use your re invigoration to fuel those passions. Plus, you never know that it may very well be those activities that give you back what you're currently lacking.

I hope that's a little bit clearer - or not - and maybe more helpful than my previous ramble. Or not. Whichever way, Ydahs, I hope you find your motivation and love for those things that you've worked hard to accomplish so far in life.

(Or not, perhaps your new direction will connect you to whatever it is that brings you happiness in life. Like I said, this is just my experience in life and may not be applicable to anyone other than me)

Dead Man

My only advice would be to stop putting pressure on yourself to meet those expectations about doing something big all the time. 21 and doing a masters is pretty fucking good no matter what. Nothing wrong with having a slow patch, it helps you appreciate the faster paced moments. If you feel you are at a standstill, you need to figure out what you want to be working towards first.
Damn man, that sucks. I know that feel, it if fucking awful.
Just got a phone call from the psychiatrists office. Apparently the person I spoke to made a mistake. The appointment has been cancelled, he's not taking on new patients. Fucking hell.
Well shit, everybody is getting crapped on today. That is some serious bullshit man. You can't book an appointment by mistake, what the fuck is that?

Just survived my first GAF ban. It's been a tough two weeks. How was I meant to make snide comments?

Forgot to post a photo of a chili dog after Rep's great suggestion. I missed out on lunch yesterday due to tight work commitments so gorged on dinner:

929ab2e8b0a711e28eb922000a1fbc88_6.jpg

Holy jesus that looks amazing. Like top 3 meals of all time amazing

Shaneus

Well shit, everybody is getting crapped on today. That is some serious bullshit man. You can't book an appointment by mistake, what the fuck is that?
Sure seems like it. I'm waiting for my particular shoe to drop (I bet my chilli turns out like shit).

PS. That recipe for Sonic chilli looks like it's the one to go for. Easy, looks rad and hey, Sonic!

Ydahs

Happens... I tend to go in stages of playing the shit out of a game, then not playing anything for ages. Currently I am on a code writing bent and only really playing board games online with people.

I can't tell you what to do, but maybe I can shed some light on maybe what not to do based upon my own experience.

[helpful stuff]

I hope you're able to work through this, Ydahs.

Buy a Vita!

Also have you considered helping out coaching the Auskick at your club? Mate of mine who got injured got through that period by getting more involved in the club at it really kept him positive about the whole thing.
In all seriousness (although I am a little serious about the first two... the second option can be life-changing (for the better)), I can go for a year or two without achieving anything significant and not feel as bad as how you sound. Do you have good friends you can hang around with as inspiration, maybe?

If you can, maybe just don't think of every year as something where you need to do something.

Travel can definitely help. It is almost always invigorating, even more so if you throw yourself in the deep end and go by yourself. Hell, listening to the latest GFW makes me want to do Amsterdam by myself!
Ydahs - travel is usually pretty inspirational for me. If you're skint it can just be driving around Australia. I currently have enough FF points to fly to Tokyo, somewhere I've wanted to go for ages. It's really difficult not just booking the flight right now - to do so would be irresponsible in my situation, but geez...
Thanks for the responses. Traveling is definitely something I need to do within the next few months. Has to be local though, since I'm a poor uni student. Traveling alone is essential.

I think I can relate to what you have to say Planet_JASE. I don't really want to look back at this point five years down the track and see it as a waste, or lament over decisions I could've made. I think I feel the same about writing as you do drawing. It was a big part of my life during school, but I've completely ignored it until the last couple of weeks, when trying to break free from this slump. I guess the only major difference between us is that I still love to code, though my course is an absolute train-wreck. This semester has been the dullest period of study I've had and I'm definitely in the burnt-out stage.

I actually just dropped one of my uni subjects a couple of days ago to try and narrow my focus onto just three subjects, as well as give me some extra time to get my life back on track. It may sound stupid, but it was either that or failing a subject, which would be much worse. I'm gonna have to take five subjects in a semester next year, but hopefully by then I'll be right.

My only advice would be to stop putting pressure on yourself to meet those expectations about doing something big all the time. 21 and doing a masters is pretty fucking good no matter what. Nothing wrong with having a slow patch, it helps you appreciate the faster paced moments. If you feel you are at a standstill, you need to figure out what you want to be working towards first.
It may sound odd, but it's normally those big goals which built my confidence in other aspects. I guess I'm just used to the motivation trickling down to help me out in other areas that without it, I'm a bit lost.

I've got a lot of thinking to do regarding the bolded, since that's pretty much the answer. Sure, I want to graduate, get a decent job, but what else? For those that know of my background (culture, religion), there's definitely a few things I'd like to tackle which are a bit... difficult, but maybe that's where the problem lies as well.

Ah well, thanks AusGAF. You've given me a lot to think about!

Danoss

After spending the past few hours in utter distress, I'll be going back to the GP for yet another referral to a psychiatrist. Originally she was going to send me to Westmead Mental Health, which is much cheaper and more accommodating to someone on a pension, like me. I mentioned this doctor in particular because my friend recommended me, I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire now; who the fuck does that to someone? Anyway, I hope I don't have to wait too long to see someone in Westmead, I fear that being the public option the outlook might not be too bright.

Now I don't have to throw $416 in some dickheads direction, I'm gonna go for another piercing tomorrow instead. Septum piercing here I come. I don't look too pretty now, I doubt that will improve any come this time tomorrow.

bomma_man

Damn guys hope it all gets better :(

Anyone shotgunned an election OT yet? If no one else wants to do it I'd be willing to, although I'm not good at computer so someone would have to help me with banners and shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom