• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

Its not just you :p I guess I'll wait for the official announcement, but so far there's nothing that's really grabbed my attention. I did read they were going to focus on Australian acts, which could be cool.

No bands have been announced for the Australian Warped tour this year, so how could anything grab your attention?

Danoss

Its not just you :p I guess I'll wait for the official announcement, but so far there's nothing that's really grabbed my attention. I did read they were going to focus on Australian acts, which could be cool.

Let us know when you hear anything new, I'm not in the cool circles that hear these things.

I can't think of many good Aussie punk acts. Bodyjar springs to mind immediately; Frenzal Rhomb of course, Jay would be well recovered from the brain surgery by now and certainly then; Irrelevant is amazing, but relatively unknown; Seraph's Coal were pretty cool, but they broke up years ago.

Edit: Forgot Bodyjar had their albums reprinted. Now I can replace my lost copies of No Touch Red and the rest.

Didn't, actually. With CFW (not illegal) the UMD is displayed as an additional drive next to the memory card when connected to a computer via USB. There isn't actually any copy protection on UMD game discs to speak of, it's just that there isn't an official drive to read them.

NEXT.

Wait... you can do that?

I have a PSP3000 with roughly a jillion UMD games (I bought a bunch in Japan etc). Now I have a PSVita (which I barely play) I sure as hell don't have time to go back to my PSP. I feel bad that those UMDs are all just sitting there though.

I never bothered with CF for my PSP. Can I install custom firmware, copy all of the UMDs onto my computer, and play through an emulator or something on my PC? Is that legal? Is such a thing even possible?!

Shaneus

Well, this is fucking frustrating.
TAQLBFv.png

PRETTY SURE I DON'T HAVE THE FUCKING GAME YET YOU CUNTS.

Wait... you can do that?

I have a PSP3000 with roughly a jillion UMD games (I bought a bunch in Japan etc). Now I have a PSVita (which I barely play) I sure as hell don't have time to go back to my PSP. I feel bad that those UMDs are all just sitting there though.

I never bothered with CF for my PSP. Can I install custom firmware, copy all of the UMDs onto my computer, and play through an emulator or something on my PC? Is that legal? Is such a thing even possible?!
yesitis2.gif

Pretty much. May have had to run a file manager application first, but an extra drive will appear and depending on the application you used (I think?), it'll either just have a single file in it (an actual .ISO file) or the file structure of the UMD. It's been a while since I've done it, but it worked wonders when I did.

What model PSP do you have? There's a chance you might not be able to, but I know for sure that with a 1000, you're golden.

legend166

Speaking of hacking, if I were to buy a 3DS, would there be a way to get my DS games onto one of those R4s for a 3DS without having to download the games? Can I rip them straight to the card somehow?

senahorse

They're real bastards about cable speed. As soon as any of your Telstra bills are late, like by an hour, they cap your cable down to unusable levels. It's pretty clever but fuck it's annoying.

I experienced issues with that once, I have now changed to direct debit, just have to keep an eye on it as they have gotten the bill wrong before. I can't wait to move back to someone like iinet, 6 years of service with them and always had a good experience.

I have little to contribute to the ongoing conversation, but I will say that I've just thought of a great analogy to describe race relations in Australia. Are you ready for it?

Being an ethnic minority in this country is a little like being left handed. Only idiots make fun of you for it, but in a hundred subtle ways every single day, you are reminded that the environment you operate in wasn't built with you in mind. You're not likely to be accommodated either.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Man I love doing a online test that gives you time to double-check all your answers via google and the textbook.

Didn't, actually. With CFW (not illegal) the UMD is displayed as an additional drive next to the memory card when connected to a computer via USB.
It may not be illegal, but are you sure the custom (non official) firmware through one or more exploits isn't circumventing copy protection somewhere? I would expect if there was no copy protection you'd be able to simply backup those files.

Not that you're likely to get into problems unless you distribute the files anyway.

Shaneus

It may not be illegal, but are you sure the custom (non official) firmware through one or more exploits isn't circumventing copy protection somewhere? I would expect if there was no copy protection you'd be able to simply backup those files.

Not that you're likely to get into problems unless you distribute the files anyway.
Pretty sure. There are no exploits involved as such, it uses a modified battery to allow it to boot into a service mode, from where you can install and run unsigned code. There doesn't seem to be any decrypting or hacking by any of the software to get to the stage where you can dump UMDs.

Mine is a PSP2000. So last decade, we're living in the Twenteens now!
I think you *might* be lucky, but it could depend on what firmware the device is currently on. I have a feeling the PSP CFW lifecycle was not unlike the iPhone's... first few iterations had a hardware-level exploit so you could always downgrade, where the later ones were software-only, so if you upgraded past a certain point they could not be upgraded at all.

If you haven't used it or upgraded it for a while... don't upgrade it!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Was this a test of your googling and referencing skills?
Mostly my knowledge of environmental issues and terms. I did study a lot which might have given me a lot of time. I knew like 20 or 30 or so questions out of the 50 given to me off the top of my head.

New Bundle Stars. $5 for steamkeys for Shattered Horizon, Nuclear Dawn, Two Worlds 2, Two Worlds 2 Castle Defence, Planets Under Attack, Iron Grip: Warlord, Ion Assault and X-Blades!

Wonderbook bundle on PS3 for $25 posted from Mighty Ape
Kinect Disneyland on 360 for $15 posted from Mighty Ape
Prof Layton Lost Future on DS for $20 posted from Mighty Ape

Ni No Kuni on PS3 for $37 posted from Play Asia

Forgot Bodyjar had their albums reprinted. Now I can replace my lost copies of No Touch Red and the rest.
Oh really? Might have to grab them while I can, I wonder if they have a Bandcamp page.

Also Senses Fail would be awesome if true Shan, although they are way more metal than post-hardcore these days, new album is pretty harsh (in a great way).

Would be awesome if they could get The Stooges out too, new album is really awesome, great return to form after the strange last album they did like 5 years ago.

Well, this is fucking frustrating.
TAQLBFv.png

PRETTY SURE I DON'T HAVE THE FUCKING GAME YET YOU CUNTS.
Did you email them? Did you check your address? Haven't had any delays from them lately.

Also this came in the mail today!
$11 from Big W lol

I have little to contribute to the ongoing conversation, but I will say that I've just thought of a great analogy to describe race relations in Australia. Are you ready for it?

Being an ethnic minority in this country is a little like being left handed. Only idiots make fun of you for it, but in a hundred subtle ways every single day, you are reminded that the environment you operate in wasn't built with you in mind. You're not likely to be accommodated either.

My son is leaning towards being left handed. Already pulled him out of his private school and blown all his college fund on booze. Will buy him An Idiots Guide To Pool Cleaning and call it a day

:(

;)

Shaneus

Did you email them? Did you check your address? Haven't had any delays from them lately.
Address was correct, haven't bothered contacting them. I just remembered you said you experienced a week or so delay when ordering from O/S so I was just kinda hoping that was the case... perhaps it isn't :/

There doesn't seem to be any decrypting or hacking by any of the software to get to the stage where you can dump UMDs.
Interesting stuff. Never looked into PSP or Vita "hacking" really, so not sure what they're capable of. Seems like the Vita would make a good portable emulator* machine?

* Of course, you already own the originals so it's all above board.

Deeku

check out all these old ass games my shiny new hacked machine can play!!...:/

re playasia, they were always slow for me. even recently, i ordered from them cos they had stock and it took 4 freakin days...like from hk to hk

So I thought this was an 'interesting' question/statement from a so called baby boomer on Q&A.

Kevin Uren asked: Most of us "baby boomers" speak and write well and can do mental maths.
In my opinion today's kids can't write, can't spell, don't know their times tables, need a calculator for simple maths, can't articulate a sentence, can't create and have no imagination. They are rude, disrespectful and don't know how to relate to others, particularly older people. Why do governments believe that throwing billions of dollars at education reform will fix the problems? Don't give a Gonski. Give our teachers and kids some discipline, some respect for others and for themselves and some personal and national pride.

Turns out he doesn't 'speak well' either.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s3736079.htm (1:11 minute mark)

Dead Man

So I thought this was an 'interesting' question/statement from a so called baby boomer on Q&A.

Kevin Uren asked: Most of us "baby boomers" speak and write well and can do mental maths.
In my opinion today's kids can't write, can't spell, don't know their times tables, need a calculator for simple maths, can't articulate a sentence, can't create and have no imagination. They are rude, disrespectful and don't know how to relate to others, particularly older people. Why do governments believe that throwing billions of dollars at education reform will fix the problems? Don't give a Gonski. Give our teachers and kids some discipline, some respect for others and for themselves and some personal and national pride.

What a fucking idiot.

"I don't know anyone under 25".

jambo

I fucking hate that whole "can't relate" line that people bandy about.

It can go both fucking ways. How many times do you see older people complaining about modern music, modern movies, modern television and modern video games without attempting to relate to it or the modern generations that create and consume it.

Also I make it a point to do as much calculation in my head as possible. I know some people that do it as well, but plenty who will use a calculator or phone and these people vary in age from young to old.

And no imagination? He should take a look at some of the amazing content that the younger generations are outputting via the web, reddit, YouTube, video games, etc. He'd be amazed if he actually took a proper look.

Cunt.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Today I cooked burgers, mixing ground chili and garlic with hot English mustard and a dash of egg into the surprisingly light-in-fat mince, left to sit in Worcestershire sauce and pepper. I barbequed these, along with tandoori pasted eggplant slices and strips of zuchini. These, combined with some cheese and lettuce, and Johnno's Home Made tomato sauce (Johnno's is unquestionably the best shelf tomato sauce I've ever had), made for super fucking tasty burgers.

Dead Man

Today I cooked burgers, mixing ground chili and garlic with hot English mustard and a dash of egg into the surprisingly light-in-fat mince, left to sit in Worcestershire sauce and pepper. I barbequed these, along with tandoori pasted eggplant slices and strips of zuchini. These, combined with some cheese and lettuce, and Johnno's Home Made tomato sauce (Johnno's is unquestionably the best shelf tomato sauce I've ever had), made for super fucking tasty burgers.

Yeah it would have, sounds fucking amazing.

Kritz

Banned
Here's some quick impressions of games I've had the chance to play this week:

Starseed Pilgrim - Fun little puzzler, way too hard, way too random. It's a game where you have to learn the mechanics and rules by yourself, which can be rewarding, but once you learn the mechanics and what the goal of the game is... completing it is really hard and time consuming. I enjoyed my time with it, but have no desire to return and finish it.

Monaco - Top down stealth game with coop. The singleplayer's good fun, and is very slow and methodical and feels a bit like Mark of the Ninja in regards to pacing and level design, but a lot more emergent due to abilities you pick at the start of each level. I've only played coop once, which was a hilarious clusterfuck of running around bypassing guards and the entire game had a polar shift in tone. I'd love to play some more coop, but I don't know how replayable the game actually is.

Zeno Clash 2 - First person open world-ish RPG-ish brawler. Fighting feels really good, and the story so far seems interesting. Seems hugely expanded from the first game in terms of plot and world and play length. It feels like a game that would be right at home with old early 3D adventure / RPG games. I think it has the potential to be right up there as a game of the year, but I'll have to play more and find out.

FEZ - It's fez. Wonderful music, a chilling atmosphere, and helluv puzzles. Even if you dislike the game's creator, it's still a fantastic game. And an even better second game.

Planetside 2 - I am really sad nobody in ausgaf plays planetside 2 anymore because it's great. and free. and gigantic. :(

Shaneus

Where can I buy this tomato sauce you speak of? Not that I need it right now, I'm up to my arse in chilli con carne, but a good dead 'orse always comes in handy.

Interesting stuff. Never looked into PSP or Vita "hacking" really, so not sure what they're capable of. Seems like the Vita would make a good portable emulator* machine?

* Of course, you already own the originals so it's all above board.
Right now, the Vita is only "hacked" as far as the PSP "environment", in that if you buy a certain PSmini title (a game that works on both PS3, PSP and Vita via PSP emulation) and have a certain f/w version, there's a savegame exploit which will load a menu where you can access homebrew stuff. Really only useful if you want to play either PSP games or PSP homebrew stuff (like emulators)... doesn't allow access to any Vita functions whatsoever. So it's very limited in that respect. PSP however, depending on the hardware revision, is wiiiiide open.

Yup PGR5 is pretty much a lock. Would have been nice to see them release on PS4/PC too though :(

Troyes board game is $42 posted from LOGS
Also these Vita games are 2 for $48 posted. Most are around the $26 mark anyway. Most Wanted is $27, someone asked about that the other day.

Never understood the love for Project Gotham Racing, always felt like it wasn't a good enough engine to make a serious racing game and it was too dull to be an arcade racer. What's the appeal? Wonder if I simply missed something...

Shaneus

Never understood the love for Project Gotham Racing, always felt like it wasn't a good enough engine to make a serious racing game and it was too dull to be an arcade racer. What's the appeal? Wonder if I simply missed something...
Graphics engine?

Dull?

More succinctly:
PGR has the best blend of realistic and arcade physics, great graphics and sound, racing in different weather conditions at different times of the say, weather includes snow and rain and a robust multiplayer with different modes added based on community feedback.
Fantastic graphics, weather (PGR4), perfect marriage of sim and arcade handling, great city circuits (Edinburgh [PGR2] and Quebec [PGR4] to name a few), Kudos system, tons of gameplay variety, great selection of licensed songs, online innovation originally with Xbox Live (PGR2) and with things such as Gotham TV (PGR3)... The list goes on.

Yup PGR5 is pretty much a lock. Would have been nice to see them release on PS4/PC too though :(
There's every chance it could come out on PC (it IS Microsoft's IP after all) but has about as much chance as Forza making it to PC. Still, considering the franchise has basically been written off since Bizarre went to Activision, I'm just happy it's coming back in *some* form (and that it's not being given to a completely different team like Turn 10).

markot

Banned
Dumbos who keep getting lapped in Mario kart.

Graphics engine?
I never really considered it a pretty game, and by dull I just mean that for an arcade racer there's not much of a hook like with, say, NFS (pick any), Burnout, etc. I guess Kudos but it felt rather pointless to me.

Instead of a great 'balance' been sim and arcade, to me it feels like an inferior version of both.

Not every game is for every person, so I guess PGR just isn't for me. Thought I may have missed some special hook that may have sucked me in but it doesn't sound like it.

Dumbos who keep getting lapped in Mario kart.
I... uh... wha? Is that post the Hitler of Chevy Chases?

Bernbaum

That's an eloquent as fuck allegory right there, brah.

EatChildren, the true burger king. Tonight you dine in h
eaven
ell.

woooooo tax increase.

Thanks Jules.

Edit: oh wait, just read it wouldn't be implemented until after the election, which Labor has 0.00001% chance of winning. No tax increase!

There's this fantastic podcast out there called 'commercial talkback radio'.

You can't listen to it on your grandson's wizz-bang iPhone mp3 whoosacallit, but you can listen to it over the wireless from the comfort of your favourite rocking chair.

Are you left handed? I am and I'm having trouble thinking of any such ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom