• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as an ethnic minority, I hate left handed people.

G0GXI.jpg

Clipper

How much would the comics be worth now?

According to the RBA Inflation Calculator, $140 in 1992 was worth $236.22 in 2012 (they don't have a 'today' calculation, strangely), so it seems that Gazunta actually did make a good deal there...

Edit: Given Gaz hasn't told us exactly when he bought them back, then perhaps this assessment is wrong, though. 2006 was the break-even year...

My son seems to have inherited that awful gene. :(
Yeeeeesss. More recruits for our dark army. According to Google, left handed people more often have higher IQs and creative personalities. We also die 7 years earlier but it seems like a fairish trade off.
Guitars, scissors
Also writing. Everything I write smudges! Then there are a bunch of subtle things like how rooms or tables are laid out, so I end up elbowing walls/ other people. I do feel like we've got the edge with typing and driving though. and castles. Castles staircases were designed so right handed knights couldn't draw their swords.

WiiU Basic pack for $209 posted from Amazon UK! Also get a game for 25 pounds with it.

Yeeeeesss. More recruits for our dark army. According to Google, left handed people more often have higher IQs and creative personalities. We also die 7 years earlier but it seems like a fairish trade off.

Also writing. Everything I write smudges! Then there are a bunch of subtle things like how rooms or tables are laid out, so I end up elbowing walls/ other people. I do feel like we've got the edge with typing and driving though. and castles. Castles staircases were designed so right handed knights couldn't draw their swords.

Aww fuck. I was totally planning on applying for that
k
night job at the local Castle

:(

Shaneus

My son seems to have inherited that awful gene. :(
I have no son :(
At least neither of them have red hair!

I never really considered it a pretty game, and by dull I just mean that for an arcade racer there's not much of a hook like with, say, NFS (pick any), Burnout, etc. I guess Kudos but it felt rather pointless to me.

Instead of a great 'balance' been sim and arcade, to me it feels like an inferior version of both.

Not every game is for every person, so I guess PGR just isn't for me. Thought I may have missed some special hook that may have sucked me in but it doesn't sound like it.
I don't think it's that you've missed a hook, maybe it's that you were looking for one. I find the beauty of the PGR series is it's consistency in overall aesthetic as well as being very, very good at doing a somewhat "pure" driving game well. Everything's a variation on either time trial or races against opponents (with the Kudos system included with more of a garnish than a main meal)... no taking cars out, no police, no repairs needed, no distractions from the core racing model itself (only things that add to it, like weather).

It's very much a series with a laser-beam focus on driving cars and enjoying the hell out of pushing them to their limits. Adding something like open-world, takedowns or a character-driven career mode I think would have to be more than a garnish and shift that focus. Whilst that could be seen as a good thing, it would take away from PGR what's unique about it and lump it in with pretty much every other driving game, notably the Criterion ones (and on the latter "career" point, GRID).

I also admire that it's not a game that tries too much to force some kind of personality on you. From memory, I've not encountered a single voiceover in any of the games, not counting music (obviously). No GPS or audio introductions or instructions. If you win a series of races in a region and move onto the next one, you're greeted with a little outro/intro movie for the next region with just the background music and various clips from around the courses. I think it all adds up to that "I just want to fucking drive" type thing, without having to wait for an announcer or whoever to finish their speech about something.

Um, that's about all I can think of at the moment. Not trying to convince you of anything, just give you an idea of where I'm coming from :)

Here is a very, very long comic about the day I first bought Street Fighter 2 for the Super Nintendo.

Feel free to read it and justify the stupidly long hours and days the wife and I put into making it. :)
Amazing. Also, fucking rad that you nut out comics with your wife!

legend166

WiiU Basic pack for $209 posted from Amazon UK! Also get a game for 25 pounds with it.
:(

Wow that's actually really tempting.

I know the console itself is probably going to splutter and do nothing for the rest of it's life, but all I need out of it is my 10-15 Nintendo games. And I'm not sure I'd be able to find it much cheaper than $205 any time in the next couple of years.

How would the power conversion work? What would I need to buy? Would there be any issues transferring my Wii content? Any eShop issues?

I NEED TO KNOW

Oh and how do you get a game for 25 pounds?

I find the beauty of the PGR series is it's consistency in overall aesthetic as well as being very, very good at doing a somewhat "pure" driving game well.

It's very much a series with a laser-beam focus on driving cars and enjoying the hell out of pushing them to their limits.

I also admire that it's not a game that tries too much to force some kind of personality on you.
Yeah, I think these are why it doesn't grab me. I like arcade racers to have a personality, or if they're a dry sim to be a sim (though I guess games like Gran Turismo, Forza aren't strictly sims either, but if I want a simesque experience, those games are where I'd go first). PGR seems to fall into a weird grey area for me where it's a dry arcade racer, and I guess that's why it's not my thing. But then, I'm not a massive racing game enthusiast anyway.

I wish you hadn't posted that, $209 for just mario (at the moment) as sad as it sounds is mighty tempting.

Wow that's actually really tempting.

I know the console itself is probably going to splutter and do nothing for the rest of it's life, but all I need out of it is my 10-15 Nintendo games. And I'm not sure I'd be able to find it much cheaper than $205 any time in the next couple of years.

How would the power conversion work? What would I need to buy? Would there be any issues transferring my Wii content? Any eShop issues?

I NEED TO KNOW

Oh and how do you get a game for 25 pounds?

Just a plug converter. Same power. Other questions I have no idea.

legend166

I wish you hadn't posted that, $209 for just mario (at the moment) as sad as it sounds is mighty tempting.

Just a plug converter. Same power. Other questions I have no idea.

OKay cool I've got a plug converter do that's no problem.

Should I do it AusGAF? I'm very tempted.

Honestly I would say no unless you love NSMB and remakes. Seems like replaying Virtual Console titles is popular too so if you played a heap on Wii and want to play them again it could get some use. The LEGO game is a decent GTA style game. Off TV play would be a big selling point if it would help in your home. I have a feeling it will get down to $175 posted before the coffers are full enough of Nintendo first party titles for retailers to bump the price up again.

I'm holding out until this Christmas, if it's a shit time for hardware sales (possible due to the PS4 launch marketing blitz) there could be a good Boxing Day sale.

Oh actually ZombiU! That is a must have for me. Ubi are supporting it well, even better than the Wii.

EDIT: Hey has Clipper done an e3 times spreadsheet?

Microsoft - Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 2:30:00 AM AEST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 2:00:00 AM ACST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 12:30:00 AM AWST
Ubisoft - Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 6:00:00 AM AEST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 5:30:00 AM ACST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 4:00:00 AM AWST
EA - Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 8:00:00 AM AEST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 7:30:00 AM ACST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 6:00:00 AM AWST
Sony - Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 11:00:00 AM AEST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 10:30:00 AM ACST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 9:00:00 AM AWST

Gazunta

So I didn't. For a long time. In a life full of regrets and a multitude of mistakes, that was and still in the biggest mistake of my life.
Yep, you and me both. I took ten years off from drawing comics, just as webcomics started to become a thing. I should have started putting my stuff online back in the late '90s and got in on the ground floor instead of scrambling to get noticed now. Sigh.

I will buy a Vita to play this. Just waiting for it to come out so I can have something to DO on my Vita when I buy one!

According to the RBA Inflation Calculator, $140 in 1992 was worth $236.22 in 2012 (they don't have a 'today' calculation, strangely), so it seems that Gazunta actually did make a good deal there...

Edit: Given Gaz hasn't told us exactly when he bought them back, then perhaps this assessment is wrong, though. 2006 was the break-even year...

The buying them back bit happened about a year ago, but it wasn't the complete collection. All the good stuff was long gone. I'm still kicking myself for selling all that good stuff. I got ripped off big time :p

(Of course, I'm really kicking myself for being such a lazy shit back then that refused to get a job stacking shelves at Woolies or whatever to pay for my crippling games addiction, BUT HEY ONWARD AND UPWARD RIGHT)

Amazing. Also, fucking rad that you nut out comics with your wife!
Thanks for reading it! Yeah it felt really good to make comics with her. Making comics is a pretty solitary activity most of the time. She wrote a strip that will go online in about a week from now so I'm hoping to convince her to do more :)

And thanks everyone who read the comic. Any word you can spread about it would be so much appreciated.

legend166

Honestly I would say no unless you love NSMB and remakes. Seems like replaying Virtual Console titles is popular too so if you played a heap on Wii and want to play them again it could get some use. The LEGO game is a decent GTA style game. Off TV play would be a big selling point if it would help in your home. I have a feeling it will get down to $175 posted before the coffers are full enough of Nintendo first party titles for retailers to bump the price up again.

I'm holding out until this Christmas, if it's a shit time for hardware sales (possible due to the PS4 launch marketing blitz) there could be a good Boxing Day sale.

Oh actually ZombiU! That is a must have for me. Ubi are supporting it well, even better than the Wii.

Yeah, I had no intention of buying the console now, but $210 is very cheap. I guess you're right though, if it continues to bomb it will probably get cheaper.

I may save the money for a 3DS XL instead.

Shaneus

Thanks for reading it! Yeah it felt really good to make comics with her. Making comics is a pretty solitary activity most of the time. She wrote a strip that will go online in about a week from now so I'm hoping to convince her to do more :)
Well I definitely noticed an improvement in writing this week, if it helps!

BTW was that story (essentially) all true? Possible broken bone and all?

And thanks everyone who read the comic. Any word you can spread about it would be so much appreciated.
Roger that! Unfortunately, most of the people I know via social media aren't exactly geeky :/

Gazunta

Is that Street Fighter II story 100% true, and said epilogue also true? Because if so, that's an incredibly sad story with an incredibly happy ending.

Thanks, and yep, that's how it happened.

Thinking back on it it makes me almost reconsider how much I mock kids who line up at EB to preorder games and trade in their collections. I get it, I been there, I just wish the games were worth it like SF2 was :)

Well I definitely noticed an improvement in writing this week, if it helps!

BTW was that story (essentially) all true? Possible broken bone and all?

Roger that! Unfortunately, most of the people I know via social media aren't exactly geeky :/
Hahaha thanks, I'll let her know :p

But yeah it was true. I remember my legs, back and head hurting for months afterwards, but considering I didn't really leave my room much at all during that period of my life, I just kind of put up with it and figured it was normal. This was also before I wore glasses and figured that not being able to see anything more than five metres in front of you was just 'normal', if that helps illustrate how little I took care of myself :)

And you'd be surprised how many 'non geeky' people have secret geek leanings. I'm slowly bringing out the geek in everyone at work...bwahaha

Stackboy

Well like Danoss said there's a lot of rumours floating around, and AJ's been tweeting about who he's trying to get.

If history has taught us anything, there's a big difference between the bands that AJ says he wants to get and the ones that actually play on the day. Very excited for Warped tour though.

New Bundle Stars. $5 for steamkeys for Shattered Horizon, Nuclear Dawn, Two Worlds 2, Two Worlds 2 Castle Defence, Planets Under Attack, Iron Grip: Warlord, Ion Assault and X-Blades!

Are any of those games worth 30 minutes of playing to discover if they are any good?

Microsoft - Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 2:30:00 AM AEST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 2:00:00 AM ACST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 12:30:00 AM AWST
Ubisoft - Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 6:00:00 AM AEST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 5:30:00 AM ACST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 4:00:00 AM AWST
EA - Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 8:00:00 AM AEST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 7:30:00 AM ACST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 6:00:00 AM AWST
Sony - Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 11:00:00 AM AEST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 10:30:00 AM ACST, Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 9:00:00 AM AWST

That is going to be a loooooong day. Getting up at 2am and watching press conference announcements till 1pm in the afternoon. Can't wait!!

The buying them back bit happened about a year ago, but it wasn't the complete collection. All the good stuff was long gone. I'm still kicking myself for selling all that good stuff. I got ripped off big time :p
Make sure to slip a copy of the comic under the door of the fat bastard you sold your comics too!

Are any of those games worth 30 minutes of playing to discover if they are any good?

That is going to be a loooooong day. Getting up at 2am and watching press conference announcements till 1pm in the afternoon. Can't wait!!

Shattered Horizon - cool MP shooter, not sure if supported much though
Nuclear Dawn - could be cool
Two Worlds 2 - cult RPG appreciated by some people
Planets Under Attack - eh
Iron Grip: Warlord - could be cool
Ion Assault - eh
X-Blades - could be cool

I should play more games :/

I'll be taking the morning off work too on the 11th!

senahorse

Wow, all on the same day, might actually stay home for it this year will be a great year for lolz and megatonz, just like 2005.

Shaneus

Wow, all on the same day, might actually stay home for it this year will be a great year for lolz and megatonz, just like 2005.
Wow, that's great. Is that the first time that's happened?

I'm almost tempted to take that day off. Maybe even the day before as well, get my sleeping patterns all in check.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Everybody should jump on that Wii U deal and also buy ZombiU because it's awesome and I want a sequel.

I put in a GMG order for Metro: Last Light today. Hope I don't regret it. Wasn't too hot on 2033.

Where can I buy this tomato sauce you speak of? Not that I need it right now, I'm up to my arse in chilli con carne, but a good dead 'orse always comes in handy.

Good question. I think my mum grabs it from somewhere in Bendigo, just a regular supermarket. I pick up a couple of bottles whenever I visit. I can't seem to find it in any of the supermarkets in Melbourne, but it has to be somewhere.

It's legit the best tomato sauce I've bought though. Highly, highly recommended.

senahorse

Wow, that's great. Is that the first time that's happened?

I'm almost tempted to take that day off. Maybe even the day before as well, get my sleeping patterns all in check.

First time I have seen, and who said there wasn't any positives about Nintendo not having a conference :p

Dead Man

Used to be worse back in the day, my teachers used to lay a ruler across my knuckles if I was writing left handed for the fist 2 or 3 years of school. Then mocked me for not being able to use the damn scissors. Wankers.

Omikron

Used to be worse back in the day, my teachers used to lay a ruler across my knuckles if I was writing left handed for the fist 2 or 3 years of school. Then mocked me for not being able to use the damn scissors. Wankers.

:lol

It is true though. I hand everything to my son in his right hand just to test it out and he always switches. :x

Great Australasian Beer SpecTAPular has 2 for 1 tickets at the moment, I'm sure Cod is going!

Everybody should jump on that Wii U deal and also buy ZombiU because it's awesome and I want a sequel.

I put in a GMG order for Metro: Last Light today. Hope I don't regret it. Wasn't too hot on 2033.
Can I just buy ZombiU instead?

Also I didn't think much of 2033 either. Will wait for price drop on Last Light despite it looking like a nice PC showcase.

Not even sure what my next early (i.e. less than 9 months after launch) purchase will be aside from Watch Dogs, and that is mainly for the hat!

I did ctrl + f "Wii U" and found nothing.

Fucker took out the space.
It is my position in life to mock the stupid name of the console by taking out that damn space any chance I get.

I mean it sounds like some shovelware Ubisoft bullshit.

Just wait for BabiU. It will fucking happen.
Despite the IP failing to sell in the end

It is true though. I hand everything to my son in his right hand just to test it out and he always switches. :x

2242102-gamer-gifs-i-know-that-feel-bro.gif

You're awful.
I do always instinctively go to shake with my left hand. People get so confused.
Aww man:( that wasn't that long before I started school either! Crazy. I'm glad we never had corporal punishment, my hands would have been in poor shape. We did have to use right handed baseball gloves though, or have four of us fight over one left glove.

Shaneus

Did you try giving stuff to him with his left hand? Maybe he switches there, too.

It might not be all bad, though. I mean there are some things I prefer to do with my left hand... need my right hand for the mouse, you see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom