• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Fucking awesome! Hope it's all good news from here. The comforting thing about finding out you have ADHD is that all you need do is find people who know exactly what that means, and you're set. But until then, all you can give people are vague symptoms. Glad you hit the jackpot :)

I hope so. Trying the one near my house first, hopefully the wait isn't too long or the prices too expensive. Left a message, waiting for a call back.

There's sometimes a common link between substance abuse (from tobacco/alcohol to coke etc.) and ADHD, not because one causes the other but illicit substances often have a calming effect on the brain in ADHD people. Some people are never able to consciously deduce this. It's a massive reason why I just don't go out and get sideways every second weekend. Hell, I barely even drink anymore.

Yep ADD/ADHD stems from childhood, it's not brought on by substance abuse at all, it is indeed the other way around. Weed helped my brain calm down massively. After I stopped smoking weed, I'd just get drunk a lot since it had a similar effect. Stopped once my GP at the time told me to stop before I fucked my liver after seeing the results of a blood test.

I didn't really notice why I did what I did until well after I'd stopped doing it. Wasn't too long ago.

I don't smoke weed anymore and I hardly drink. Gotta watch myself when I drink sometimes though, if I'm not careful I'll just write myself off. It's hard because the (temporary) relief it provides is just wonderful.

Please do not do this. Please do not do this.

Don't stress man, I'm not at that stage. Being honest, at times I've been real fucking close though.

Fusebox

Banned
Found this website and I gave the helpline a ring. Super helpful, the lady who answered the phone really knew what she was talking about. Asked a bunch of questions and even knew both of my childhood psychiatrists and the medication situation when I was young. She had a list of psychiatrists in my area to call that understand and treat ADD/ADHD. One of them is just 3 streets away from my house too.

Awesome stuff man!

Danoss

Appointment booked 3rd June! I only have to travel a few streets away from my house, I could walk there in less than 5 mins. Also, looks like this doctor treated Matthew Newton. LOL!

This one is only $280 before medicare rebate too. The receptionist is seeing if I can just pay the gap.

Apologies for the update frequency, it's been a rough day.

Fusebox

Banned
Appointment booked 3rd June! I only have to travel a few streets away from my house, I could walk there in less than 5 mins. Also, looks like this doctor treated Matthew Newton. LOL!

A few streets away is awesome convenience, Danoss Direct!

And fuck Matthew Newton. When did this doctor treat him? Before or after he started beating women?

Danoss

A few streets away is awesome convenience, Danoss Direct!

And fuck Matthew Newton. When did this doctor treat him? Before or after he started beating women?

That's where the nickname came from, in case you weren't aware. :)

Remember when he was really fucked up and was admitted to rehab? Then.

Fusebox

Banned
Lol I had no idea that's where your nickname came from, I thought I was being clever. :p

Guys I want a new BBQ, my current one is old and trashed.
Needs to do steaks and roasts.

Weber?

Danoss

Last time I checked, Bunnings BBQs were pretty cheap and pretty good. That might have changed since the last time I was there.

Edit: Missed the steaks and roasts thing. Hard to bead a Weber Kettle for roasts, goddamn they're the best (bloody pricey though).

Fredescu

Guys I want a new BBQ, my current one is old and trashed.
Needs to do steaks and roasts.

Weber?

Have any budget in mind? Weber is definitely the best and they have amazing customer service but it depends what you want to pay. Also if you have some patience you should really check out charcoal cooking. A Weber kettle is a good way to start. I'll dig out a photo of my ceramic cooker shortly, it's a beast, and the food is amazing.

Fusebox

Banned
No real budget. I've got a fairly beefy (pun!) 4 burner already but the fat catcher underneath caught fire one time and a bit of the gas hose melted and I was afraid to use it after that and now it's just been sat in my backyard for the past couple of years slowly dying and it's time to ditch it and get a new one.

Thing I like about the Webers is their size and the fact they have the high lid for roasts.

Thing I don't like about the Webers is the lid has to be closed for cooking and I love keeping an eye on my food as it cooks.

I do love charcoal cooking though, I used to have a tiny hibachi which added amazing flavour but hmm, dat gas convenience.

Omikron

http://www.news.com.au/business/wor...tal-leave-scheme/story-e6frfm9r-1226636500339

Mr Abbott today said these women were "in the prime of life and they should be able not just to have kids, but to have careers".

"We do not educate women to higher degree level to deny them a career," he said.

"If we want women of that calibre to have families, and we should, well we have to give them a fair dinkum chance to do so. That is what this scheme of paid parental leave is all about."

What.

Shaneus

I just found that my life's gotten a lot better once I stopped caring about people I'll never meet or interact with in any real way...
That hurts :(

Do it! All the fun of PAX, all the power of being an authority figure. Plus US PAXes had Enforcer parties, so that would be nice if they did one for AusPAX.
Is there a comic book character called "The Enforcer" and does he wear a helmet? If so, DJr totally should wear it. If not, just knock up a Dredd helmet. I AM THE LAW.

This one is only $280 before medicare rebate too. The receptionist is seeing if I can just pay the gap.

Apologies for the update frequency, it's been a rough day.
Honestly, this has made my day :)
BTW Any idea if this doc can prescribe meds (if it comes to that) off the bat? I doubt you'd know yet, but worth asking I guess.

That's where the nickname came from, in case you weren't aware. :)
Mind blown! But where did the "ss" (vs. the "z") come from?
PS. I don't even think I know what your real first name is :/

qYl9b4pm.jpg

H0WiMJb.jpg

Aj5ZsLMm.jpg

qcDhsnfm.jpg

PacvABtm.jpg

a5iMuXRm.jpg

Hl6Qzogm.png

I think I'm done.

Let's celebrate!
EgWKwmC.gif

Danoss

Honestly, this has made my day :)
BTW Any idea if this doc can prescribe meds (if it comes to that) off the bat? I doubt you'd know yet, but worth asking I guess.

She sure can, she's a psychiatrist. The receptionist was talking about meds and whatnot and if over 30mg of whatever were recommended to be prescribed, a 2nd opinion would be required. Also, that the doctor will have to send some shit away before meds can be given (takes a couple of days). The appointment was originally for the 13th, but she changed it to the 3rd so that if I was given meds, all would be taken care of before the doctor goes on holidays for a few weeks. It sounds involved, maybe it's the good stuff.

Speaking of meds, I only took this tablet (Lexapro generic) a few hours ago. I'm feeling fucked, like all light headed and weird. Not taking any more of this shit.

Mind blown! But where did the "ss" (vs. the "z") come from?
PS. I don't even think I know what your real first name is :/

I changed it to that when I was looking for an username. It was always pronounced Danoss anyway, though it doesn't read exactly the same if you know my real name, just add -oss on the end and that's it. Most people who PM me get my name, don't know why I didn't use mine in our last exchange.

Fredescu

I do love charcoal cooking though, I used to have a tiny hibachi which added amazing flavour but hmm, dat gas convenience.

Porque no los dos? A charcoal cooker with a gas backup is best imo.

This is what I have (it's way blacker now):

8enROrT.jpg

lAQHyBc.jpg

It's a Kamado, but an oval shaped one. Most of them are round, but the oval shape lets you have two zones which is useful because this: http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/2-zone_indirect_cooking.html . Most of the time I have a heat deflector over one half so that side doesn't have direct flame, and use the other side for direct cooking. You can use the whole thing direct or indirect if you want, and a double decker for more space. Here's how I had it set up the other weekend when I cooked a crapload of ribs:

BIlmdcg.jpg

I have a gas BBQ as a backup but I don't use it. It doesn't take that long to get this thing working, I used to cook on it all the time on weeknights when daylight savings was still on. You're making me miss DST already.

I think getting used to lid down cooking is best, but if you really want that lid up feeling and like wasting gas, Beefeater (not Beefmaster!) and Masport have good reputations.

Fusebox

Banned
Porque no los dos?

Speak Australian! Don't make me google that. :p

Beefeater (not Beefmaster!)

Beefmaster! That's what my one is:

8717028896_2394b596b6.jpg

Yours looks fucking amazing btw, I don't really need a prep area since my back door/kitchen is so close by but your oval stand thing would fit my bbq area perfectly.

How do I get one of those? What you've got. Exactly the same.

Hey Shaneus, I know our musical tastes converge and diverge at times, what do you think of this little ditty I cranked out:

https://soundcloud.com/kaarma/sr2

I've made better tunes but I really like this because most of it was done on the fly.

Fredescu

Yeah... Yes, I think I do. It was similar to a Bubble-O Bill, wasn't it?

Yes! Yes, it was. In fact the reason I remembered it was because of a conversation about Bubble O Bill. I really liked that ice cream but because the character was short lived, so was his ice cream. I wish I could try one again somehow.

senahorse

Great website, a bit misleading with Labor's speeds but certainly gets the point across in a way the majority of the public can relate to.

Fredescu

Speak Australian! Don't make me google that. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OawrlVoQqSs

How do I get one of those? What you've got. Exactly the same.

It's a Primo XL. The distributor only sells direct: http://www.primogrills.com.au/. He does most of his marketing by going to home shows around the place, and it looks like you're in luck because there's one in Sydney on weekend after next. If you want to go and have a look, get in touch with them and tell them you want to check them out at the show and Casey will probably send you free passes to get in. When I bought mine, the show prices were better than the website prices, but they might have updated their website by now so I dunno.

If you want to check out alternatives, your local BBQs Galore will probably have stock of a Kamado Joe, but they're fairly overpriced. Better priced options for round Kamado's are the Vision from Costco http://www.costco.com/Vision-Grills-Classic-Kamado-Charcoal-Grill.product.11760270.html and a guy in QLD who direct imports from china: http://www.bear-grills.com.au/index.php/kamado-bbq.html . I was almost going to go with the latter option, and Dave from there is really good to deal with, but I ultimately splurged on the Primo.

Metroid Other M for Wii for $10 posted

Totally worth this price for anyone that hasn't played it. Despite some mechanical niggles (primarily the silly pixel hunting bits) and the doofy animu melodrama story contrary to the series' usual minimalist storytelling, it's a fun game. Don't believe the hyperbolic hate.

Fusebox

Banned
Thx Fred, awesome info dump - I'll post back once I've got my sexy new Primo Xl delivered and installed!

edit - just checked their site, they're not cheap! It's in my budget I'm just worried some bastard will see it in my yard and nick it lol.

Fredescu

I'm just worried some bastard will see it in my yard and nick it lol.

They're heavy as fuck. Made of thick ceramic. They're not stealing that without being extremely obvious about it. Just don't piss off any hungry crane drivers.

Also, if you go the charcoal route, you'll need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IMA718/?tag=neogaf0e-20. Cook to temp not to time. Also lesser models don't have as high temperature tolerances.

Rezbit

Totally worth this price for anyone that hasn't played it. Despite some mechanical niggles (primarily the silly pixel hunting bits) and the doofy animu melodrama story contrary to the series' usual minimalist storytelling, it's a fun game. Don't believe the hyperbolic hate.

Don't believe this well reasoned post about Other M, it sucks infinity amounts of arse.

How terrible is Pilotwings 3DS?

It isn't really, the content was just kinda light/recycled for a full-price retail release. It plays well, the 3D is pretty good, it's alternatively relaxing to zone out to or pretty difficult depending on the events/rating you aim for. It's just missing a vehicle or two from previous games and is built around Wuhu Island from Wii Sports/Resort.

I think I paid like $20 for my copy and was happy with it.

Shaneus

Westboro lolz
The Westboro Baptist Church's protest of last night's Rockets-Thunder game—in response to Jason Collins's coming-out, naturally—was sad and trivial, as the WBC's protests always are. Six picketers showed up. Many more were there to greet them.
So awesome:
iOdtI7fl.jpg

Nfj7wxVl.jpg

Humanity <3

Yes! Yes, it was. In fact the reason I remembered it was because of a conversation about Bubble O Bill. I really liked that ice cream but because the character was short lived, so was his ice cream. I wish I could try one again somehow.
The quandary with icecreams of that ilk was "what to do with the bubblegum nose?". You could either take it off and hold it, which lead to it slightly staining your fingers, plus it was wet and a little bit slippery. You could always chuck it in your mouth and start on it, but there was always the danger of eating it. You could also put it in the wrapper to save it until the end but sometimes I'd forget it was in there and accidentally throw it away.

In the end it was for little gain. The gum was so cold in the beginning that it was hard until your mouth warmed it up but which point the flavour was gone and it started to get hard again, like all cheap bubblegum.

Oh, the woes and tribulations of a child. To have nothing but those types of problems in my life would be grand :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom