• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're a fan of artsy fartsy experience games but have somehow managed to not yet play Journey and The Unfinished Swan, they're available in a bundle for $19.95 ($17.9x for Plus friends) today.

Jintor

I got my HSC marks today and they're really not that great. Band 3's and 4's everywhere. My ATAR is going to be tragic. Oh well! I'm still going to go ahead with my gap year plans and use that year to create some new experiences for myself, new opportunities, and to discover what I really want to do with my life.

/livejournal

chillax!

school is really about learning how to learn. everything else kind of flows from real life experiences

I wouldn't mind trying Unfinished Swan and have already beaten Journey. I tried to see if there was any discount for The Unfinished Swan separately but the SEN webstore doesn't even have it listed.

I can buy the soundtrack for it though.

Stellar work, Sony...

Yagharek

I wouldn't mind trying Unfinished Swan and have already beaten Journey. I tried to see if there was any discount for The Unfinished Swan separately but the SEN webstore doesn't even have it listed.

Stellar work, Sony...

They are both 19.95 individually. No discount to buy solo.

I got my HSC marks today and they're really not that great. Band 3's and 4's everywhere. My ATAR is going to be tragic. Oh well! I'm still going to go ahead with my gap year plans and use that year to create some new experiences for myself, new opportunities, and to discover what I really want to do with my life.

/livejournal

As long as it gets you where you need to go it doesn't matter (and even if it doesn't you can always get there eventually, an extra semester of uni or something tiny). No one cares about high school results, not matter what they tell you in school :p

Yagharek

PS1 classics on vita are awesome. SOTN looks fucking brilliant. I thought it was locking up all the time (it was, for ~3 seconds with stuttering audio) due to bad emulation but instead it was just because the Vita was downloading demos at the time. When no downloads are active, its perfect.

Now my list of demands:
Bushido Blade
Blasto
Wipeout 2097
Parappa
ISS Pro 98
Brave Fencer Musashi
Tobal 2

N0VAM0D

As long as it gets you where you need to go it doesn't matter (and even if it doesn't you can always get there eventually, an extra semester of uni or something tiny). No one cares about high school results, not matter what they tell you in school :p

Let's just say I highly doubt I'm going to get into university!

Thank you, though. I'm managing to stay positive(ish)!

Try to keep reminding yourself that all you need to do is get into any course and then you'll be able to change into your desired course once you get the required credits.

They still allow this, right?

If you wanna go there are always ways to get in! A year a tafe can count towards a degree in a lot of cases. Not going to uni is always an option too. A lot of people do well without it, especially if you've got some skills you learnt in your own time. And you won't be 20+ grand in debt!

Try to keep reminding yourself that all you need to do is get into any course and then you'll be able to change into your desired course once you get the required credits.

Yup yup.

N0VAM0D

University isn't everything. If it is something you want you can go later anyway.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just apply to get in via some other means. Still, gap year comes first!

They still allow this, right?

Yeah, they do! But the thing is, all I even applied for was an Arts degree and I don't think I'm even going to get into that (yes, I did that badly) ((which really wasn't even that bad but apparently you need to be a genius to do an Arts degree)). Oh well, I've always got other options.

Dead Man

Never passed Year 12 at all, I have a degree and a couple assoc dips and a pretty great job. HS results are not the only way to go to uni, and uni is not the only way to get a good career.

Frawdder

There are other ways of getting into Uni. I don't know if every Uni does this but my Uni offers a test you can take and if you pass you can gain entry to most courses. Or, what I ended up doing, a year long 'Adult entry' course that serves as a preparation for Uni and as long as you pass you can get into any course you want.

As cods said, Uni isn't for everyone, I've seen a number of people finish 4 year double degrees only to come out the other side and not wanting to do that thing any more. A gap year will help you out in determining what you want to do with yourself (hell, I took 5).

I went to TAFE, quit 6 months before it was over (2 year course), did half a year of games design + programming at QANTM, got kicked out of the course, did a year and a half of games programming at AIE, graduated.

Not getting into Uni isn't the end of the world. In fact, if i did go to uni, i would've quit and never pursued making games.

edit: actually i probably would've given up on programming altogether.

Stellar work, Sony...
Webpage storefront is Beta, don't think they even announced it. Tons of stuff isn't up on there. Runs way better than the console store!

Never passed Year 12 at all, I have a degree and a couple assoc dips and a pretty great job. HS results are not the only way to go to uni, and uni is not the only way to get a good career.
Yup, I did wellish in HSC. Spent 5+ years fucking around at uni, never finished. Got a decent paying job anyway.

More important is your skills at weaseling in and out of situations. That's what sets us apart from the animals.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Anyone here ever dealt with depression? Either personally or from a family / friend side of things.

Kinda curious how they ended up after XYZ treatment.

Kritz

Banned
vhtrU.jpg
(dat jpeg compression)

I am now 2 hours into playing Fable. At this point I might be in for the long run because I've started finding the game fun again.

Fable has this wonderful point in its design where your character goes from being roughly the same strength as the enemies you face, to being entirely overpowered to the point where the game becomes pure power fantasy. The quest where you have to guide some traders through a wolf infested forest is the exact point in the game where it happens. You have enough money to buy weapons three tiers ahead of what you should actually have, you can buy well protecting armour, and you've killed enough things along the quest to be third level in each skill you want to be.

In Fable 1 I tend to focus towards archery, as it's not only incredibly powerful, but it also ensures you take minimal damage. The combat roll in Fable is a complete invincibility state, so if you're ever in danger you can roll straight through the middle of a swarm of bad guys and keep going until you're clear to let off more shots. The average bandit dies in a single hit from the bow, and every single one of the bosses has no counter to the range and power of the weapon. The only time in the entire game you need to use your sword is during the skeleton killing quest, where you simply pop some fire runes onto your weapon and murder 3-5 skeletons in a single swing.

Fable isn't a great RPG. But it's an amazing power fantasy.

Anyone here ever dealt with depression? Either personally or from a family / friend side of things.

Having a good network of people around someone with depression is really the best thing I can think of unfortunately, in my case as well as others I have known.

It's a very complicated issue.

University isn't everything. If it is something you want you can go later anyway.

Word. I mean I spent like 6 years at one, but some of the smartest and most successful people I know and work with never went.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just apply to get in via some other means. Still, gap year comes first!

Yeah, they do! But the thing is, all I even applied for was an Arts degree and I don't think I'm even going to get into that (yes, I did that badly) ((which really wasn't even that bad but apparently you need to be a genius to do an Arts degree)). Oh well, I've always got other options.

Arts can get higher entry requirements when every bastard and his dog puts it down as a back up.
But like everyone is saying, take your gap year, have fun/earn money, and cross that bridge when it comes. There are plenty of other pathways there if you are still keen to do it

senahorse

Luvox, Prozac etc can be really helpful. First step is to consult your doctor though.

Fable stuff

What's the lost chapters like? I bought it on Steam but just haven't got around to playing it...like about 200 other games I have on Steam :/.

edit: Holy shit https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=CE0Q904gtMI#! from OT, I couldn't stop laughing, sorry parents
kid is fine

r1chard

Bugfixed release (1.2.1) for my game is out. Followed quickly by 1.2.2 after I played with a co-worker's Nexus 10 and realised my 128px art wasn't being used on the 1600px wide screen because I'm a doofus and disabled it for gods know why ;-)

Kritz

Banned
Did Fable 2 ever come out on PC?

Nope. Which is a shame, because it's easily the best Fable game. That is to say, it's the good Fable game. Fable 1 is good because the Xbox had five games worth playing on the entire system and two of them had Halo in their name.

Webpage storefront is Beta, don't think they even announced it. Tons of stuff isn't up on there. Runs way better than the console store!
Unannounced Beta webstore is better than the culminations-of-many-years console store.

Pure Sony.

Unfortunately it's still hard work. Not only can it take a while to find the correct medication and then the correct dose but that's when the hard work starts. As Rep said, it takes an excellent support network to help facilitate the process to becoming well again, but it takes a complete mindset change for the person affected by depression.

The hardest part for most people, however, will be seeking help in the first place.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Luvox, Prozac etc can be really helpful. First step is to consult your doctor though.

Yea that's what I thought. Guess I need to head down to the local docs and get whatever process started.

Wish I had my own medicare card right about now. I don't feel like turning up on friday to work, would have been a good day to just not rock up and check out the docs.

Yagharek

I know this won't be held in high esteem here but bear with me.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath is the equal of Half Life 2 in both gameplay and the sense of place in a coherent game world.

For those who have finished the game once, play it again and look at all the clues in the environment about why the world is the way it is. Like City 17, the world tells a story. It just so happens that Oddworld also has a message with a strong and honest commentary on unchecked industry.

Sometimes you fall in love with a game, leave it aside for several years and view it more fondly than perhaps it deserved. Coming back to the game this month, I have to say it's better than I remember it being.

Please play it if you haven't.

Yagharek

Any medication I was told by my doctor was a hand up to get yourself going, but never a crutch. Exercise routines are also important too.

Best advice is talk to a doctor and enquire about medicare counseling service too, as I think 6-10 sessions can be free.

Shaneus

So it would be cheaper to buy the pack?

HA!

Solid gold.

Thanks, BoB
That's what's fucking awesome about GOG. I have a look at the Sierra pack they had up last night, and realised I already had the Quest for Glory pack. CD Projekt being awesome, the bundle price was the full 75% off minus the discounted QfG price (whereas if you simply just removed the game, because you're not getting the full bundle the discount drops to 50%). That's how you do awesome.

This sale has been pretty awesome. They had Sleepy Dogs for the cheapest it has been on PS3 as well as stuff like Journey/Unfinished Swan bundle for $18. Oh, also Tokyo Jungle for under $10!
"Sleepy Dogs" is the best fucking name for that game ever.

/livejournal
Don't stress it, dude. From the people I know in my job, a lot of them have differing educational backgrounds... most of them done outside of Uni (with the odd exception of real business-like folk who did business-oriented classes and are generally boring as batshit anyway because they wasted their youth learning shit they'd never need to know). And the people I know outside of work (who I choose to spend time with, as opposed to people I *have* to) are all awesome people who I don't think ever went to uni. And if they did, there's nothing about them that makes them come off like they did (like their job or whatever).

It may be difficult now, but in short... don't stress. A fuckload of people have done well in life without uni, and all it does is turn you into some boring, money-driven, egotistical, uncharismatic fuck anyway*.

*You all know it's true!

YYeah, they do! But the thing is, all I even applied for was an Arts degree and I don't think I'm even going to get into that (yes, I did that badly) ((which really wasn't even that bad but apparently you need to be a genius to do an Arts degree)). Oh well, I've always got other options.
Can I ask what arts thingy you were looking at doing? I don't know what umbrella that covers but I still struggle to know exactly what they could teach about anything remotely arty or creative in a university. School of Real Life, motherfucker!

Is that the new SEN thing for PSN? Fuck me, that runs like arse. Looks great, but must they insist on zooming in on that grid of games? I want to look at as many as possible at once, not scroll through nine at a fucking time you stupid bastards.

Salazar

Anyone know whether Fedex "International Shipment Release" means that it's sitting somewhere or that it has been released ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom