• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends.

The art style, music and narrative make up somewhat for the fairly boring and repetitive combat. It's worth it if you can get it for cheap. Or free, in this situation.

Visually and aurally I though it was very strong.

The narrator also doesn't shut up, I still enjoyed it though.

I've got a copy of DotA 2 (lol) if anyone wants it.

Well I have a key for Kung Fu Strike which I won along with Mark of the Ninja. Didn't really want Kung Fu Strike. If it works it works. Does anyone actually want it?

Key sent to ThoseDeafMutes!
Oh, I'd definitely take it off of your hands. I just couldn't without letting you know that it was no longer available, therefore may have more worth to you.

But I'm not sure if rep claimed it with his reply, though...

I just couldn't without letting you know that it was no longer available, therefore may have more worth to you.
Thanks for bringing it up. However having a "rare" virtual game in my collection doesn't mean much to me if I don't want to play it.

Rep, did you actually want said game (assuming the key works)?

Rezbit

YAAAAY thank you Shaneus! You're a good guy and I appreciate the bounty of Jet Set Radio you have bestowed upon me. Time to relive my Dreamcast days.

Well I have a key for Kung Fu Strike which I won along with Mark of the Ninja.
How did you win MotN?

But I'm not sure if rep claimed it with his reply, though...
Rep, did you actually want said game (assuming the key works)?

Nah just weighing in with some video game trivia to make myself feel better that 90% of my memory is filled with unimportant information like that

:(

Also reviews weren't great when it came out, doesn't sound like my kind of game sadly.

hamchan

Finished The Hobbit. All the parts with Bilbo's adventure were great. All the parts with LotR setup and the necromancer were damn boring. The pacing in the middle suffered a bit as a result. Where the end leaves off I have no idea how they will stretch this out to 3 movies but if they fill it with more boring appendix stuff then that's a shame.

I hope the DVDs have an unextended edition with just Bilbo stuff, then I'd buy it.

markot

Banned
Finished The Hobbit. All the parts with Bilbo's adventure were great. All the parts with LotR setup and the necromancer were damn boring. The pacing in the middle suffered a bit as a result. Where the end leaves off I have no idea how they will stretch this out to 3 movies but if they fill it with more boring appendix stuff then that's a shame.

I hope the DVDs have an unextended edition with just Bilbo stuff, then I'd buy it.

48?????

Shaneus

My gift to you, AusGAF. For those who didn't score a free game from me earlier. The gift of music that you probably haven't heard before but will more than likely like:
Maktub - You Can't Hide

(spoiler alert: the lead singer is Reggie Watts)

Yagharek

Wii-U gamepads are region locked, oh Nintendo why do you make such baffling decisions.

I imported some dual shock 3s a few years ago. $99 locally versus $50 from play asia.
Today they are still 79 locally and 48 from PA.

I wonder what wii u pads will retail for if/when they are sold separately. PA will have them much cheaper I would assume.

senahorse

I am sure it won't be an issue for most people but if you wanted an extra or you break one (physically) it would be probably be cheaper from PA or somewhere, maybe there will be a workaround. Just seems like an odd decision.

Yagharek

Keep it around as a solemn reminder that some things lost to the abyss are best left there.

I'll be interested if this applies to HLep3.

I am sure it won't be an issue for most people but if you wanted an extra or you break one (physically) it would be probably be cheaper from PA or somewhere, maybe there will be a workaround. Just seems like an odd decision.

Turns out you can use the out of region ones, but not as the master controller - which means you need the master controller to do firmware updates etc.

So yeah, replacing a broken one will still be an expensive local affair. :/

Yagharek

After I trolled them about Doritosgate I don't think I would have much chance winning a competition :/

Haha. It's funny to see the wagons still being circled after all the kerfuffle from doritos/florence's timely article etc.

I can't see any reason whatsoever to trust the vast majority of games writers since the linke between what is PR and what is news is so blurred as to be indistinguishable. You get great news from niche sites or mags with a specific focus that is never going to be a commercial goldmine (eg retro gamer), but anyone talking about halo 4 for example is unlikely to be reliable.

Especially when they are plugging chips and soft drink, or being presented the games limited edition in a lavish ceremony.

Games journalists seem to think they are part of the industry making the games, thus they are generally soft on it and more like spokesmen for it. The fact so many games journalists wind up working for developers/publishers makes it even clearer - pigs at the trough.

Does it bother me? In principle yes, but I wont lose sleep over it. I just assume I'm being lied to or advertised to. Same thing. I do laugh when people like kotaku writers want to be taken seriously though.

Nintendo do their Direct shows, which are obviously advertising. Kotaku/IGN/joystiq/gamespot etc are all doing the ads for MS/Sony/EA/Activision etc. It's just one extra layer between the two. Be honest and declare it.

If you want proof its just a marketing arm, look no further than the lack of media scrutiny of rrod, skyrim/fallout ps3, EA hacks, hitman pay for reviews/PR, Halo 4 bannings/perfect scores and vanishing saves with no mention at all from the press.

156?! What a fucking joke.

RE: Doriogate

Geoff has always been a media personality rather than a critical journalist though. At no point can I think of was he putting himself forward as anything more than a host of an entertainment program or offering fantastic behind the scenes looks at studios. Even then he wasn't critical of what he saw at the studios, just reported the news and kept moving.

He did tweet that he would weigh in on the whole thing a while ago but he has never been critical of the industry so I wouldn't expect much more than, "I'm glad something positive for our industry came from that hilarious image and the subsequent investigations."

He is the gaming equivalent of a Carson Daly, or Ryan Seacrest.

Yagharek

Keighly might not be a critic (no-one really is in the media anyway), but to sit in front of the most blatant product placement like that takes the cake for tackiness. I would find it incredibly embarrassing to be sitting in front of such a blatantly arranged set.

Halo 4 really is one of the biggest advertising vehicles these days, makes it impossible to take its juvenile narrative even remotely serious. It's worse than splinter cell and erricson phones/airwaves gum.

Keighly might not be a critic (no-one really is in the media anyway), but to sit in front of the most blatant product placement like that takes the cake for tackiness. I would find it incredibly embarrassing to be sitting in front of such a blatantly arranged set.

Halo 4 really is one of the biggest advertising vehicles these days, makes it impossible to take its juvenile narrative even remotely serious. It's worse than splinter cell and erricson phones/airwaves gum.

The look on his face, the tone of his voice and the half hearted way he plugged the products made it obvious that it was another 'sell your soul' type advertising deal.

I can't really hold it against him, I still watch Bond movies despite being bombarded by advertising shit every time a movie comes out.

Yagharek

Yeah but Bond movies are always doing that, and sometimes that Aston Martin lasts only 30 seconds on the road before exploding.

Keighly's plug was embarrassing. I wouldn't say his expression excuses him - the guy has been a serial liar/hype merchant on gaf for years. It's just obvious either his public views are bought or meaningless.

Expecting honest impressions from keighly is like expecting honest consumer advice from tv choice.

Absolute madness today. People flocking like sheep in malls. Took me an hour to find a place to park. Felt like I was back in India. Good day for retail industry.

Didn't buy a thing though. Had a look at the stuff I wanted and will order it online.

Reptile, any luck scoring the android dock for $63?

Yagharek

What the hell? Ugh.

Turns out they still work during games, but not if you are doing system level things like firmware updates.

So if you want a second controller, importing might be the way to go. If you drop and break your original one and need a replacement, you have to pay the Australian Electronic Goods Tax.

Dead Man

Turns out they still work during games, but not if you are doing system level things like firmware updates.

So if you want a second controller, importing might be the way to go. If you drop and break your original one and need a replacement, you have to pay the Australian Electronic Goods Tax.

That makes even less sense. I could understand if they were just greedy, that sounds inept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom