• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjontrix

I also love how the papers all pretty much ignored the coalitions 'costings' in the papers this morning. Indeed, the RUSHED NBN BOTCH JOBS was the lead on the tele...

This is why its hard for me to care that journalism is dying. Pretty much the only place you see it is 4corners.

Honestly I thought that you said 4chan but considering journalism in Aus...

Dawn_of_the_final_day-%2528n1304606931494%2529.jpg

Might make a majora mask gif of the moon crashing if Im bothered enough...

It's funny you should say it's similar to the US, because it's based on the Westminster system.
Just discussing similarities.
If you're interested, you could read up on the "constitutional crisis" of 1975: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis

If a bill can't get through the senate, they have to negotiate in order to get it through. It is quite rare for a single party to have a majority in the senate, so this kind of negotiation is the norm. If the government fails to get a bill through the senate on multiple attempts they can call (or, technically, "request") a "double dissolution" election, which means that the whole senate is up for re-election as opposed to normally just half of it. We haven't had one of those since the 80s. If the Greens and Labor have a senate majority in the new senate, we may be up for one again next year, depending on how hardline Abbott wants to get about pushing his stuff through. The senate result is hard enough to predict, let alone what goes through that mans head, so we can't really say yet.

As for changes, at the very least we need to change the way senate voting works. We have a preferential voting system for the house, but for the senate we either choose one party, or have to number every single candidate, which is as high as 110 this year. If you vote for the single party, because of the weird way senate votes are counted, they choose their own preferences, which can be a little weird and not what you really want. 95% of people vote for the single party though. This needs to be improved.

One of our state governments eliminated the senate. I won't talk about state politics too much, but see what happened in Queensland since the last election, I would never want to get rid of the senate.

As far as pie in the sky changes that will never ever happen goes, I think they should abolish state governments. It's an extra layer that we don't need.
Ooh. That's interesting. Thanks for the link.
I'm glad we don't have FPTP but we don't have proportional representation, The Greens have long been fighting for it for obvious reasons, but the major parties don't want a bar of it.
Don't you have it in the Senate? That's what I read here: http://www.eca.gov.au/systems/proportional/proportion_rep.htm

Darklord

Banned
Welp, more last minute policy shit from the LNP:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...e-childcare-staff-numbers-20130906-2taix.html

Its kind of amazing the contempt the LNP has for everyone by pulling a quick one after like 20% of people have already voted.

All of them do that shit. Remember how Julia Gilard was against the Carbon Tax then "changed her mind" and pushed it through? All of them lie. It does seem very scummy doing it now though, it's probably because they know they're going to win.

Dead Man

Ten bucks says our states are worse! HA! Trey fought a war to keep slavery. Beat that!

LOL, probably. Although I would suggest there are a lot of people in Australia that would fit right in in the 19th century southern US.

Welp, more last minute policy shit from the LNP:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...e-childcare-staff-numbers-20130906-2taix.html

Its kind of amazing the contempt the LNP has for everyone by pulling a quick one after like 20% of people have already voted.

They are also cutting 650 million from the Murray River funding scheme apparently. :/

All of them do that shit. Remember how Julia Gilard was against the Carbon Tax then "changed her mind" and pushed it through? All of them lie. It does seem very scummy doing it now though, it's probably because they know they're going to win.

The problem is how this policy links with their paid parental leave policy. If one were to assume the Liberal party were supportive of traditional gender roles (i.e. women = homemaker), providing good parental leave (i.e. to encourage having children) THEN pulling the support that typically enables women to re-enter the workforce after childbirth seems to facilitate this goal.

Pulling a quick one is always dodgy but circumstances change. The overall implication of all of these policies is the thing that makes this last minute jab much, much worse.

The problem is how this policy links with their paid parental leave policy. If one were to assume the Liberal party were supportive of traditional gender roles (i.e. women = homemaker), providing good parental leave (i.e. to encourage having children) THEN pulling the support that typically enables women to re-enter the workforce after childbirth seems to facilitate this goal.

Pulling a quick one is always dodgy but circumstances change. The overall implication of all of these policies is the thing that makes this last minute jab much, much worse.

They are not pulling support, just slowing it down sighting administrative issues and cost increase pressures. I have no idea if that is correct or not, but I think you need to be careful about a lot of the reported policy changes.

Remember most of them will simply be "cut or slow the labor program" and replace it with an all new and shiny "liberal program" that does exactly the same thing. It is always the way during a change of government.

DrSlek

From memory Gilard required support from the Greens to gain a majority in the lower house and form government. I believe the Carbon Tax was their price.

I don't think she can really be blamed for changing her mind, because if she didn't Abbott could have won.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
From memory Gilard required support from the Greens to gain a majority in the lower house and form government. I believe the Carbon Tax was their price.

I don't think she can really be blamed for changing her mind, because if she didn't Abbott could have won.
There's also the matter of a fixed price ETS being distinct from a Carbon Tax. Gillard didn't lie, but her political savvy did seem to completely abandon her when she became PM.

Dead Man

I address you now from a shelter deep in the bowels of Australia. We have taken shelter here to wait out the worst of the incoming Liberal storm, and plan to re emerge when conditions on the surface are more hospitable to life.

Well lads and ladies, it has been fun.

Hurry up and be 2016 already :(

Rezbit

Jesus, this is way more poignant than it has any right to be.

Really sad that Tony Abbott is going to win on a campaign of shit and fuckery. The fuck face has yet to say what any policy will be, and has thrown costings numbers out which don't even make sense. Hearing Turnbull on Triple J justify an internet filter THAT WILL BE LIKE ENGLANDS and then backpedal when it turns out, oh shit that's right, people hate this, is fucked.

I know Australia won't explode, but damn all I can see with a Liberal vote is a vote against any sort of progress. But hey, at least STRAYA saves a few bucks? Because reasons?

I don't think the media or the libs could ever let us forget this one.

If I move to Australia and become a citizen, can I vote for the female atheist? Cus that's awesome.

Sadly she has retired now :(

Hopefully in a couple of elections to come you can vote for Penny Wong though! The more I hear her talk the more I want to see her in a more prominent role.

Hopefully in a couple of elections to come you can vote for Penny Wong though! The more I hear her talk the more I want to see her in a more prominent role.

Dammit. We are so far away here in the States from electing a female atheist. Why did she have to be removed?! Gr...

Dammit. We are so far away here in the States from electing a female atheist. Why did she have to be removed?! Gr...

Yeah, there's been a lot of silly drama lately :( Seems like Hilary might be in the running next election for you guys though eh? Or is that off the table now.

So, around 3 million people have voted early, and as many as 1.6 million postal votes may not even be counted until monday. We might be getting a skewed result tomorrow.

Australian Electoral Commission estimates more than three million have already cast their ballots either at pre-poll booths or through the post.

Darklord

Banned

Sadly? She was awful. What Atheist refuses to even discuss gay marriage? Oh right, the one who only does it to please the Christian lobby. The same people who claimed being gay has a higher mortality rate than smoking. Very nice of her. If redneck states are becoming more progressive than stances here you know you've screwed up.

So, around 3 million people have voted early, and as many as 1.6 million postal votes may not even be counted until monday. We might be getting a skewed result tomorrow.

We should still know most of the lower house. But yeah...given the number of postal votes, and especially overseas postal votes (like my own, since I'm actually in Costa Rica right now due to recent family bereavement), it wouldn't surprise me if we don't know the final senate makeup until as late as the 20th (when the AEC stops accepting delivery of overseas postal ballots).

We should still know most of the lower house. But yeah...given the number of postal votes, and especially overseas postal votes (like my own, since I'm actually in Costa Rica right now due to recent family bereavement), it wouldn't surprise me if we don't know the final senate makeup until as late as the 20th (when the AEC stops accepting delivery of overseas postal ballots).
No sabía que eras un Tico. ¿Tuviste que renunciar to ciudanadía para ponerte como candidato, o no fué problema para tí?

demidar

Pirate Party eh? Well I do like a good plundering.

Labor is the lesser evil between them and Liberal? Aren't they kinda as shitty as each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom