• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsumineko

So NeoGAF is vastly in favour of Greens/Labour, has anyone noticed any online communities in the opposite position, favouring Liberal?

Deal with it? Really?

It's basically lnpvoter.txt. A old classmate had that attitude when I questioned him regarding Labor's so called deficit waste of doom.

So NeoGAF is vastly in favour of Greens/Labour, has anyone noticed any online communities in the opposite position, favouring Liberal?

Whirlpool but Whirlpool don't know anything about anything, even technology.

Some on Whirlpool have reacted differently due to LNP's Internet policies but a few are hilariously going "I've got fibre at my place now, got mine fuck you stop the waste."

wonzo

Banned
Any economist worth a goddamn recognises the Labor parties economic credentials after their management of the GFC. They better choose a leader that can defend their achievements in Opposition or they're stuffed for a good decade.

--

morganexitpolls1pm07092013.png

Some on Whirlpool have reacted differently due to LNP's Internet policies but a few are hilariously going "I've got fibre at my place now, got mine fuck you stop the waste."
Haha yeah, Whirlpool's an utter shithole.

SmartBase

Any economist worth a goddamn recognises the Labor parties economic credentials after their management of the GFC. They better choose a leader that can defend their achievements in Opposition or they're stuffed for a good decade.

--

morganexitpolls1pm07092013.png

More like anyone who has taken any basic (macro)economics course.

Now THAT is a surprise, considering NBN issues. Wow. Actually considering your point, maybe not.

Hahaha

The forum is basically Libertarian heaven. They're either voting LNP and hoping for Turnbull to lead them to the Fibre Heaven or choosing some shitty socially liberal, economically conservative third party.

It's basically lnpvoter.txt. A old classmate had that attitude when I questioned him regarding Labor's so called deficit waste of doom.

Ha, I was going to mention whirlpool, that place really is a hive of scum and villainy, maybe even worse than IMDB.

trinest

The forum is basically Libertarian heaven. They're either voting LNP and hoping for Turnbull to lead them to the Fibre Heaven or choosing some shitty socially liberal, economically conservative third party.

Majority of them live in areas where its already deployed, so they also have the idea, they have it so, so what.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't the inflationary recession being caused by huge spending in Howard's final 3 years? The reason his government is considered by the IMF to be one of Australia's over spenders is because of that last term. My understanding is that under spending or surplus driven budgets cause deflation by taking money out of the economy and putting it back into the government coffers where it is effectively vaporised. It's great for the right because it raises unemployment as there's less money to spend and reduces wages thanks to increased competition in bottom rungs. Whilst not absolutely enriching the top earners, it does further enrich them by making them more wealthy in a relative comparison to the lower rungs and gives them far more spending/political power. If your wage halves and the rich stay the same, they are now twice as wealthy in the power balance.

Yep, as I was just giving the cliffs though I glossed over that part that took place between the increase in private debt and the inflation rise.

I'm speechless, Whirlpool is a pretty good place to hang out, save for the news/politics section.

I also find it humorous that Rudd wanted a fairer election campaign, and yet he himself resorts to playing the man and not the ball.

Jintor

it's alright for consumer complaints, product comparisons, and links to further, more reputable information, which is really all i want out of it.

it's a real weird place to navigate though

Carton

I quite like whirlpool too. Perhaps all the shenanigans are occurring outside the sections i mostly read (Mobile, Computers, Systems, Home Theatre)

Tech forums are so weird. They tend to be left or right libertarian or a mix, makes for some fascinating arguments.

Though " fuck you, got mine" is a strange principle for a libertarian since their entire economic principle hangs on everyone playing nice without the corruption of regulation. Which is the exact opposite. Also seems to be oddly common (something to do with views on property rights perhaps?).

markot

Banned
So. What did Labor balls up exactly?

Why are you ignoring everything they did? What are their failures? What has Abbot propsed that is... good?

I havent heard an explanation for how terrible labor is, it seems to just be assumed. Cause you know, the press and the coalition say it, why would they lie?

Whirlpool is only good for information about your Internet service provider and shop reviews. Everything else, they're fairly poor especially since moderation barely does anything to cull misinformation.

When asked, moderators claim it's OK to be purposely obtuse and argue in bad faith. Any forum that allows this is not worth considering.

See Bear22 as an example. He would have died during his first week on any more strictly moderated forum.

tsumineko

So. What did Labor balls up exactly?

Why are you ignoring everything they did? What are their failures? What has Abbot propsed that is... good?

I havent heard an explanation for how terrible labor is, it seems to just be assumed. Cause you know, the press and the coalition say it, why would they lie?

This is it. Media is the power over social ideology.

markot

Banned
This is it. Media is the power over social ideology.

Dude, we have to pretend the press dont matter and cant fram things the way they want to! (When theyre on our side)(I mean how could 60+% of newspapers becoming mouthpieces of one party be influential on people? Thats crazy talk!)

it's an amazingly disingenous characterisation

Of course he doesn't want third parties in. An essentially two-party system where he has the clear advantage will give the fucker a rubber stamp parliament. But placing a check on the party power to just shove things through the senate is 'wasting your vote'.

not angry of you of course, just mad in general.

Nah, I understand and agree :) I "threw my vote away" on a third party this morning.

tsumineko

Dude, we have to pretend the press dont matter and cant fram things the way they want to! (When theyre on our side)(I mean how could 60+% of newspapers becoming mouthpieces of one party be influential on people? Thats crazy talk!)

Haha, Fairclough would be rolling in his grave.

Hurley

Lol Whirlpool.

It has certain sections that are decent enough but overall the place is a bit of a joke imo, especially the mods.

The Wii U thread over there is good for a laugh though.

Anyway, on topic.

Just got back from voting, was pretty packed at the local voting joint, guess I should of gone earlier in the morning. Wish the day would hurry up and end already.

Ah, there's still people out there who take that Gillard quote out of context.

at the end of her phrase she adds "We will be working towards an ETS".

Guess what Rudd did a few weeks ago.

DrSlek

Exhibit A:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5pzSvSCUZo

Just one of many Labor lies

Okay, I'm going to direct you to one of my earlier posts because you seem not to remember what happened last election. The whole hung parliament/minority government business?

From memory Gilard required support from the Greens to gain a majority in the lower house and form government. I believe the Carbon Tax was their price.

I don't think she can really be blamed for changing her mind, because if she didn't Abbott could have won.

DrSlek

It's not going to be Labor in power!

I think it speaks volumes at the depths Labor has sunk to when the Australian public would rather have Abbott as the Prime Minister of the country.

Your arguments seem very narrow-minded and poorly educated.

Your posts just seem to be a lot of "Labor is bad" without actually explaining how or why.

Jintor

It's not going to be Labor in power!

I think it speaks volumes at the depths Labor has sunk to when the Australian public would rather have Abbott as the Prime Minister of the country.

Meh, I think it speaks more as to the extent (or rather lack of) serious political and civic engagement in this country and perhaps an over-reliance on a now severely damaged fourth estate to fact-check and offer opinions backed by evidence

Meh, I think it speaks more as to the extent (or rather lack of) serious political and civic engagement in this country and perhaps an over-reliance on a now severely damaged fourth estate to fact-check and offer opinions backed by evidence

That's really the crux of the issue. Most people probably don't know more than two names in the below the line senate ballot let alone able to articulate clearly a candidate's values, ideals and policies.

People also don't give a fuck about anything - some dudes at a pub a few days ago said they were worried about Abbott but didn't bother to enroll - which doesn't help voters making informed decisions.

Also I'm not convinced people want Abbott in power. They just don't want Labor but don't care enough about the civic process to understand that Labor's economic woes are less real. They see Abbot wants to save 6 billion across four years and see that as a huge ass number; they don't understand 6 billion in four years is a piss in a pond compared to a governments yearly budget.

That I don't recall, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Make it more difficult to run for senate, so the papers don't end up clogged with microparties that really only exist to funnel preferences to the larger parties.

The majors would love that. Its already difficult for genuine minor parties to get listed. Seems more like there's greater need for rigorous scrutiny, ie parties aren't just shells.

How does one person founding a bunch of barely discernable parties fly in a sane system?

markot

Banned
Do they need signatures to get on the ticket?

I think 2000 sigs or somesuch wouldnt be shabby. But I dont know... For each candidate! So if you want 5, you gotta get 10k!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom