• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magenta

So when the Libs win, Turnbull may actually start sharing his real thoughts on the NBN. He might propose something closer to Labor's infrastructure, or at least something better than the Libs current policy (anything would be better really).

He could even be a dick about it and wedge Tony on the matter like what the Libs did to Turnbull with climate change policy.

The voters that are all pissy with Labor can have their short moment of satisfaction when they're ousted from office. After that, we all expect the replacement PM to be pretty awful in his first term even if the papers keep propping him up.

Turnbull actually made the party backtrack from ripping it all up to what they have now. I get the impression that he thinks it is a good idea but the party is using it as a phantom bogeyman to win votes.

My landlord is the lead engineer for the NBN in my local area. He say that the contracts are signed for everything and too much work has already started, he thinks there is very little they can do to change it at this point.

Shaneus

Our booth had sausage and bread for $2 and bacon and egg sangas for $3. I think I've been spoilt with the cheaper snags from Bunnings but if its helping the school get the basketball courts repainted, than I'm happy to spend that little bit extra.
That must be the universal cause. Because my local one is "breakfast egg and bacon rolls, vegie burgers, an all-day sausage sizzle, hot and cold drinks and a superb selection of home baked cakes, slices and biscuits thanks to our wonderful parents. Funds will upgrade our bball courts". Maybe we should just vote in someone who doesn't cut spending on schools so we can get free sausages for the next election.

DrSlek

Wow, even though I've worked out all my votes on belowtheline.org.au I bet it'll still take a good 10 minutes or so to fill in that thing.

Most people will make the mistake of copying the sheets numerically. What you should do is just go from left to right across both sheets and copy the numbers that way from your pre-prepared preferences.

I don't think Gillard would have done better than Rudd. We basically knew it'd be LNP since the last election. There was no sign of any reversal of public opinion just not enough momentum for Abbot at the time.

*sigh*

hirokazu

Most people will make the mistake of copying the sheets numerically. What you should do is just go from left to right across both sheets and copy the numbers that way from your pre-prepared preferences.

Yep, that's what I did. Looking for the numbers in order is a futile effort and probably more likely to lead to mistakes.

I just checked that I was looking that the right column every time I moved to a different one.

D.Lo

I don't think Gillard would have done better than Rudd. We basically knew it'd be LNP since the last election. There was no sign of any reversal of public opinion just not enough momentum for Abbot at the time.

*sigh*
Yep, Gillard would have done worse. People hated Labor and Gillard, they don't hate Rudd but most don't love him enough to get over their hatred of Labor.

Can Albanese re-make Labor? Albanese and Bowen are both pretty legit dudes. I'm actually going to vote for Albanese because he's much better than the local Green candidate.

Yep, Gillard would have done worse. People hated Labor and Gillard, they don't hate Rudd but most don't love him enough to get over their hatred of Labor.

That sounds about right.

Problem with Bowen is he is probably gone. I'd like to see something like Carr/Wong.

DrSlek

Heh. My wife knows one of the flyer people handing out how-to-vote pamphlets for Amanda Rishworth. The guy is telling people to "vote for Amanda" without mentioning labor or Rudd. He figures she'll win by a larger margin if he doesn't associate her with Labor. She's locked in for the seat anyway. She works extremely hard for Kingston and people know it.

ramyeon

Don't get me wrong the LNP proposal is objectively dreadful compared to the NBN but last I checked that site exaggerated things by making questionable comparisons and assumptions (like using maximum NBN and average LNP).
It very well could be and probably is exaggerated, but at least from my understanding, your chances of getting those maximum speeds are much higher with the Labor Party's proposed fibre to the home NBN. With the Liberals' fibre to the node plan your chances of getting any more than average speeds decrease the further you are away from the node and if your location isn't ideal you could be getting below average speeds.

SmokinDan

Don't get me wrong the LNP proposal is objectively dreadful compared to the NBN but last I checked that site exaggerated things by making questionable comparisons and assumptions (like using maximum NBN and average LNP).

Plus we will still have a copper network which will costs billions a year to maintain and the Libs will have to buy it off Telstra, eventually.

Dead Man

Our booth had sausage and bread for $2 and bacon and egg sangas for $3. I think I've been spoilt with the cheaper snags from Bunnings but if its helping the school get the basketball courts repainted, than I'm happy to spend that little bit extra.

$2.50 for sausage with onion, not bacon and egg sangas :(

Voted for the Liberals, i am feeling fantastic for doing so.

Remains to be seen if my vote will go towards unseating the Labor person holding the seat.

Jintor

Yeah, I did it numerically and was there for fifteen minutes. Halfway through I realised my error but I was already committed at that point.

Hold on chaps, I'll go heat up the tar and grab the feathers...

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yeah, I did it numerically and was there for fifteen minutes. Halfway through I realised my error but I was already committed at that point.

Hold on chaps, I'll go heat up the tar and grab the feathers...

I'll bring the gloves.

Remains to be seen if my vote will go towards unseating the Labor person holding the seat.

Oh look, it's the junior who couldn't explain why labor was bad with the economy. It's good to see you made such an informed decision instead of popping into the thread over and over and going "lol labor sucks" and then not answering anyone's questions.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

cypher-with-piece-of-steak-in-the-matrix.jpg

Jintor

24 Hour News Culture is a fucking farce so I kinda hope it is and they shit resources back to their creative stuff.

Right, but ABC News 24 is closer to, like, they just update the show once every eight hours and rebroadcast it over and over and over again until something new pops up.

It's region-unlocked for the night btw, if any expats are out there

by the way, lol Tony

"The danger as we go into the last hours of this campaign, is that people will dilly dally with independents and minor party candidates," Mr Abbott said after a visit to the Maton guitar factory in Melbourne.

"Sure they might be fun, sure they might be different, but they will damage our country and damage our government if they play the same role in the next parliament that they played in the last parliament," Mr Abbott said.

"Don't waste your vote."

Hahahahhahahahhaha you fucking cockhead

Voting below the line took like fifteen minutes even pre prepared. This battle gonna be decided on preferences n

Yeah, took me about the same time.

Sadly most of the polling attendees were telling voters to simply vote above the line and get it over with.

There were lots of jokes about the senate toilet paper too.

Long story short, I enjoyed the sausage sizzle. No cake though :(

Dead Man

Right, but ABC News 24 is closer to, like, they just update the show once every eight hours and rebroadcast it over and over and over again until something new pops up.

It's region-unlocked for the night btw, if any expats are out there

by the way, lol Tony

Hahahahhahahahhaha you fucking cockhead

Oh god, can somebody please slap him really hard.

Oh look, it's the junior who couldn't explain why labor was bad with the economy. It's good to see you made such an informed decision instead of popping into the thread over and over and going "lol labor sucks" and then not answering anyone's questions.

I thought i did, whoops. For the most part i am unhappy with how Labor took credit for Australia's position in the GFC, when the previous Liberal governement laid out the ground work. Labor have since been too spend happy and breaking too many promises.

The whole Rudd - Gillard - Rudd change over is a bad look for Australia worldwide.

I would be happier in a Liberal government than a Labor one, Labor have never given me a reason to vote for them (been able to vote since 2000).

Yagharek

Voted. Local lib candidate was there. Wanted to punch the rise up australia people.

Greens in both houses, then labor but secular party in between in the senate.

We are dooooooooooooomed.

Jintor

A good portion of the minor parties are right wing loons. He's understandably concerned about them eating his lunch.

it's an amazingly disingenous characterisation

Of course he doesn't want third parties in. An essentially two-party system where he has the clear advantage will give the fucker a rubber stamp parliament. But placing a check on the party power to just shove things through the senate is 'wasting your vote'.

not angry of you of course, just mad in general.

Its amusingly two-faced though when you think about: wasted = had the power to give the other guy government. That's about as far from wasted as you get.

I thought i did, whoops. For the most part i am unhappy with how Labor took credit for Australia's position in the GFC, when the previous Liberal governement laid out the ground work. Labor have since been too spend happy and breaking too many promises.

The whole Rudd - Gillard - Rudd change over is a bad look for Australia worldwide.

I would be happier in a Liberal government than a Labor one, Labor have never given me a reason to vote for them (been able to vote since 2000).

Haha, I see. Alright :)

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

FYI, this is pretty much all wrong. The Federal government issues the currency and therefore is not revenue constrained; the key economic limits on government spending are debt sustainability and inflation. Rudd didn't need "money in the bank" from past surpluses to provide the stimulus. In fact, the consistent surpluses under Howard were causing a massive private credit binge and the nation was on the verge of an inflationary recession, hence the RBA pushing up interest rates even in the election campaign. The GFC saved the country from that recession, then Rudd and Labor saved the country from the GFC. Look at the Treasury papers if you have doubts. Mining industry shrank, other nations with strong trade links with China went into recession.

Dead Man

FYI, this is pretty much all wrong. The Federal government issues the currency and therefore is not revenue constrained; the key economic limits on government spending are debt sustainability and inflation. Rudd didn't need "money in the bank" from past surpluses to provide the stimulus. In fact, the consistent surpluses under Howard were causing a massive private credit binge and the nation was on the verge of an inflationary recession, hence the RBA pushing up interest rates even in the election campaign. The GFC saved the country from that recession, then Rudd and Labor saved the country from the GFC. Look at the Treasury papers if you have doubts. Mining industry shrank, other nations with strong trade links with China went into recession.

Get out of here with your facts.

Jintor

One Nation took my last place

I kind of wish you could just number the preferences you actually want and just toss the rest in a basket somewhere. I mean preferencing probably does that anyway assuming you line up your order correctly but it's still kind of shitty I have to decide which is worse, the homophobic xenophobic loons or the other homophobic xenophobic loons

hirokazu

You mean wasting billions of dollars while Australia was prospering regardless of government?

You give the Liberals credit for global factors then blame Labor for those same global factors. Right.

You mean wasting billions of dollars while Australia was prospering regardless of government?

You give the Liberals credit for global factors then blame Labor for those same global factors. Right.

Deal with it, Labor will have their chance again... for your sake i hope they don't balls it up next time

trinest

Anyone before Labor got in even if they were in during the Howard years would of had a surplus. Howard wasn't some magical genius in financial management.

r1chard

Deal with it, Labor will have their chance again... for your sake i hope they don't balls it up next time
I, too, disagree with your interpretation of the GFC and Australia's economics (along with, you know, actual economists across the world, but hey).

One thing I will agree with you on is the hope that Labor gets their fucking house in order, quick smart.

Myansie

Wasn't the inflationary recession being caused by huge spending in Howard's final 3 years? The reason his government is considered by the IMF to be one of Australia's over spenders is because of that last term. My understanding is that under spending or surplus driven budgets cause deflation by taking money out of the economy and putting it back into the government coffers where it is effectively vaporised. It's great for the right because it raises unemployment as there's less money to spend and reduces wages thanks to increased competition in bottom rungs. Whilst not absolutely enriching the top earners, it does further enrich them by making them more wealthy in a relative comparison to the lower rungs and gives them far more spending/political power. If your wage halves and the rich stay the same, they are now twice as wealthy in the power balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom