• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

First disappointing Gen you mean.
Nah, Gen III is great:
-Gave us abilities and double battles
-Improved the Berry system from G/S and introduced some other nice items as well
-Hoenn was a great region, full of personality.
-And I know this one will be controversial, but I actually liked them removing the day/night system. I mean, that's good in theory, but what it means in practice was that if there's a Pokemon that only appeared at day/night that I wanted that I would have to wait for a chance to actually be able to play the game at that time and actually catch the thing before I'm able to move forward, which isn't always possible for a while. At least personally, I'd rather be able to catch it whenever, when I first get to the town, and then be able to move forward immediately instead of having to wait for a chance to be able to play the game at a specific time before I'm able to move forward. I get the point of it, and trying to be "realistic" in that regard, but I prefer the convenience over that, so its removal in R/S didn't really bother me.

Of course, they later brought it back anyway, but when they did, you were actually able to manipulate the clock, unlike in Gen II, so it's less of a big deal. Still, I just prefer the convenience of not having to mess with any of that and not being locked out of all my daily events if I manipulate it over having things be a bit more realistic.
-Introduction of Battle Frontier in Emerald
-And more of a small thing, but it also introduced Secret Bases, which was an extension of the idea of decorating your room in Gen II, but Gen 3 fleshed it out a bit more and I just had a lot of fun with it.

There was lots to love in Gen III, and it still really holds hold, at lest personally IMO. <3

This guys run is going so horribly.

Pokemon runs are the worst runs.

Sorry, Pokefans... >.>

It's only interesting if the runner/his friends are good at speaking and keeping your interest.

This is boooooooooooring because none of them are particularly informative in any depth as to why these things are or why they know it or speaking with any form of charisma.

I won't say there aren't good things about Gen III. I like quite a bit of the Pokemon designs but the game was overall disappointing coming off of Gen II. I didn't care much for Hoenn as a region. Felt so stale.

KayMote

I actually do like Pokemon runs. Sure, they are slow, but still - there's so much that can go wrong RNG wise (crits, missed attacks etc) and I like watching the runner improvising and calculating his stats to make the right decisions on the spot.

They either need to stop and take the donation bid winners at the start of a run or someone on the couch should just use their phone, it's annoying that no one is ever prepared for these.

Just tuned in. I've watched this streamer before, and really don't like his attitude at all. How has been in the run so far?

Pretty bad.

Dude fucked up all three names so far.

Like, I get that you don't care man, but people paid money for this shit. Honor that.

Carl

Not really a fan of anything in this block so catching up with things i missed due to sleep and work. Currently watching MGS2 run and sighing at all the problems

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I feel like only Gen 1 runs are really entertaining to watch, and that's pretty much just because Gen 1 is so absolutely broken. Plus, they benefit from the games being shorter and having fewer cooldown moments. It's certainly true that even a slower game can be very fun with charismatic runners/couch crews, but in general I just feel Gen 1 is the most conducive to entertaining speedruns.

It's a shame, every time I've tried to watch a speedrun of one of my favorite gens I just get bored and give up. That's where I am with this run right now, probably gonna go do something else instead.

Crayolan

The runner warned the gdq staff to close the donations for the name about 5-10 minutes in advance. Don't blame him for not having the name.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I won't say there aren't good things about Gen III. I like quite a bit of the Pokemon designs but the game was overall disappointing coming off of Gen II. I didn't care much for Hoenn as a region. Felt so stale.
At least it's not as stale as Kanto.

It seems like they never learn to put the skill based games in this slot. And put stuff like this which runs for 3+ hours past midnight so that they get peak viewership on things that are more entertaining to watch.

He's gonna go over at this point he's way behind.

It seems like they never learn to put the skill based games in this slot. And put stuff like this which runs for 3+ hours past midnight so that they get peak viewership on things that are more entertaining to watch.

He's gonna go over at this point he's way behind.

I think the way gdq looks at it is that it's a big family game and pulls in the numbers at peak time, but I would prefer this to be a midnight game honestly.

I kind of wanted to see the Tetris game that's next but I think I might catch up on it later and bail until Katamari Damacy in the morning.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just watched the Turing Test run and the runner had to pause the game for over a minute at the end because the tech support people did not have the donation incentive ready and seemed confused when he asked about it. They also didn't stop time during the credits. LOL.

Garjon

Gen III made me sick of Pokemon until Gen V came around. Watching this is reinforcing those feelings.

I'm the same, I really dislike this Gen for the way it looks and sounds. Everything looks really washed out and while the music itself is well written, it just doesn't sound very good. And it has the worst final third out of all the games IMO. I really wish they saved this for later and had something a bit more exciting for now. I don't think the commentary is too bad but it's not particularly interesting; the fact that it is going badly RNG-wise isn't helping to be fair and you can sense the frustration from the couch.

Yeah seriously I've seen them call out the donation incentives with plenty of time for the staff to react. They shouldn't have to sacrifice their time / the entertainment of the run because the staff can't close the incentives a few minutes early.

Its just names of pokemon, people aren't going to be vying for those up until the last second.

Pokemon runs can be long and potentially slow depending, but its all the improv and the calculation that is interesting to me. These guys are doing a good job of explaining everything, and Shenanigans is always a pleasure to listen to.

Its a bummer the RNG isn't ideal, but thats also what makes it interesting.

TUSR

Banned
Just watched the Turing Test run and the runner had to pause the game for over a minute at the end because the tech support people did not have the donation incentive ready and seemed confused when he asked about it. They also didn't stop time during the credits. LOL.

The beginning had some technical difficulties too for starting the time. I enjoy Azorae's runs, but the tech support really dropped the ball for his run.

The donation incentives cut off before they reach that point of the game, there was ample time to let the runner know which won.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doubling back on some stuff:

- Ape Escape 2: Run seemed pretty good and game seemed neat. Recommendation: Throw a shit fit on Twitter because you don't know how to behave in public and then demand an apology that you tell people, pre-emptively, you're going to upload on the internet presumably to trigger a witch hunt against the person that wronged you, also whine about how SJWs are thin-skinned babies while you are aggressively yelling about how your rights are violated because no one wants to be your friend.
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: I found the runner very difficult to tolerate but people in here liked him. There's a lot of cool tech, but personally I found the run a little long and kinda drifted off. Recommendation: Watch only if you really want to see one.
- Borderlands 2: Good tech and very engaging runners but not a very interesting game. Recommendation: Skip
- Psychonauts: Great run with some great tech, good runner. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Shovel Knight race: Good commentary, not sure we get a ton of benefit from the race format. Recommendation: Watch a Shovel Knight run somewhere, not necessarily this one
- Mega Man 1: Great four-person race with some genuine tension as to who will win, and a few clutch bits. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Silent Hill 4: The Room: Honestly, excellent runner, great run, and it really increased my interest in the game, which I had played some of but not all of before. Recommendation: Worth a watch.
- Hitman: Blood Money is a well-executed run but the speedrun strats for levels are lot less entertaining than some of the other, less glitched silent assassin videos you can see on YouTube. Recommendation: Skip
- The Turing Test: Excellent run for such a young game with some good tech and the runner is a very engaging, funny guy (some complaining about the devs "not testing the game", which is a pet peeve of mine, but still). Some tech issues. The game is most notable for its story though, so... Recommendation: Watch if you've played the game
- Hyper Princess Pitch: This is a hilarious top-down Smash TV style action game. Never heard of it. The tech doesn't seem super impressive but it's very cool looking game. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Hydra Castle Labyrinth: The run isn't great with several deaths and safety save loads, but the game looks excellent if you like La-Mulana, Rogue Legacy, Castle in the Darkness, or other exploration paltformers. Really cool game. Recommendation: Worth looking the game up but not watching the run.
- Kirby: Tilt 'n' Tumble: Honestly neither the game nor the tech seemed that interesting BUT it is a game boy game that you control by tilting the game boy and pressing buttons and they play it on a GameCube so the runner sits in a chair, uses a DDR pad for the buttons, and physically swings the GameCube around to play the game so that's amazing. Recommendation: Watch a random 2 minutes of it and crack up laughing.
- Rocket: Robot on Wheels: This is like an insanely good game, I have no idea how I've never heard of or played this before, and the tech is great, and the run was great, wow.
- Super Monkey Ball 2: Good run, good tech, always like seeing Monkey Ball run. Recommendation: Watch.
- Super Monkey Ball Adventure: Runner spends the entire time complaining about the game. Recommendation: Skip

Ultimadrago

- Ape Escape 2: Run seemed pretty good and game seemed neat. Recommendation: Throw a shit fit on Twitter because you don't know how to behave in public and then demand an apology that you tell people, pre-emptively, you're going to upload on the internet presumably to trigger a witch hunt against the person that wronged you, also whine about how SJWs are thin-skinned babies while you are aggressively yelling about how your rights are violated because no one wants to be your friend.
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: I found the runner very difficult to tolerate but people in here liked him. There's a lot of cool tech, but personally I found the run a little long and kinda drifted off. Recommendation: Watch only if you really want to see one.
- Borderlands 2: Good tech and very engaging runners but not a very interesting game. Recommendation: Skip
- Psychonauts: Great run with some great tech, good runner. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Shovel Knight race: Good commentary, not sure we get a ton of benefit from the race format. Recommendation: Watch a Shovel Knight run somewhere, not necessarily this one
- Mega Man 1: Great four-person race with some genuine tension as to who will win, and a few clutch bits. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Silent Hill 4: The Room: Honestly, excellent runner, great run, and it really increased my interest in the game, which I had played some of but not all of before. Recommendation: Worth a watch.
- Hitman: Blood Money is a well-executed run but the speedrun strats for levels are lot less entertaining than some of the other, less glitched silent assassin videos you can see on YouTube. Recommendation: Skip
- The Turing Test: Excellent run for such a young game with some good tech and the runner is a very engaging, funny guy (some complaining about the devs "not testing the game", which is a pet peeve of mine, but still). Some tech issues. The game is most notable for its story though, so... Recommendation: Watch if you've played the game
- Hyper Princess Pitch: This is a hilarious top-down Smash TV style action game. Never heard of it. The tech doesn't seem super impressive but it's very cool looking game. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Hydra Castle Labyrinth: The run isn't great with several deaths and safety save loads, but the game looks excellent if you like La-Mulana, Rogue Legacy, Castle in the Darkness, or other exploration paltformers. Really cool game. Recommendation: Worth looking the game up but not watching the run.
- Kirby: Tilt 'n' Tumble: Honestly neither the game nor the tech seemed that interesting BUT it is a game boy game that you control by tilting the game boy and pressing buttons and they play it on a GameCube so the runner sits in a chair, uses a DDR pad for the buttons, and physically swings the GameCube around to play the game so that's amazing. Recommendation: Watch a random 2 minutes of it and crack up laughing.
- Rocket: Robot on Wheels: This is like an insanely good game, I have no idea how I've never heard of or played this before, and the tech is great, and the run was great, wow.
- Super Monkey Ball 2: Good run, good tech, always like seeing Monkey Ball run. Recommendation: Watch.
- Super Monkey Ball Adventure: Runner spends the entire time complaining about the game. Recommendation: Skip

Thanks Stump, I will certainly consider some of these when falling back on archives. Really helpful!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is the Rocket thing a joke? It seemed like a budget N64 title from what I saw of it.

It looked really cool. A physics engine in an N64 game? Performance was good. Character was cute. Just the right balance of collectathonning. I'm not a big fan of Sucker Punch's subsequent games so I was surprised that they made something that looked great to me.

I thought the Valdis Story run was good, if a little slow at the beginning. The runner is pretty chill, and it pays off in the end with some crazy skips and movement.

Wait what, I feel like I missed a joke (I missed the early runs).

Accoun

Looks like I won't be able to watch the Tetris With Cardcaptor Sakura race live. Shame, because that's one of the games I really wanted to.
Oh well, there's always VODs.

Top Bottom