• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

dropkickpikachu

Neo Member
Adventure Island 4 never got a North American release. But to be fair at that late date I don't blame Hudson or NoA for not bothering. Apparently AI4 is the last officially released game for the Famicom.

A lot of those late late Famicom games that never made it to NA seem to be great for speedruns. Gimmick! comes to mind in particular.

Edit: Watched the VOD of the Sparkster run. I was waiting for them to say they were playing on easy which they said at the end. They didn't mention that easy removes most of the minibosses and many sub stages (it's not possible to get true ending on easy as a result). Still since the game defaults to normal is anyone were to pick it they would be surprised when playing the game and quickly seeing battles not present in the run. Also there were signal problems at the end of each stage?

So what are some of the must watch runs from the first day and a half?
If you want a short not serious run that still shows some fun is allowed at GDQ events SEGA Bass fishing is worth watching. Though if you want the best part here is a 30 second clip.

Shame the interview after had audio issues as I think the guy said the fishing rod controller he was using has 1 second of input lag on the reel.

hodgy100

They just finished up playing a game I worked on (LBP3) its kinda cool and terrifying seeing someone abuse a game you worked on to finish it in 36 minutes :p

KayMote

They just finished up playing a game I worked on (LBP3) its kinda cool and terrifying seeing someone abuse a game you worked on to finish it in 36 minutes :p

You should definitely take this as a compliment. You need to have a lot of passion for a game, if you are even bothering to speedrun it :)

hodgy100

You should definitely take this as a compliment. You need to have a lot of passion for a game, if you are even bothering to speedrun it :)

Oh i am. I still work with quite a few of the devs on it and our minds were being blown by some of the skips "how did we miss / not think of that" :p

B-Dex

The couch person trying to talk over the runner is super cringe. Glad the runner just talks over him. But seriously why do people do that? Bitter they didn't get picked to run?

Oh i am. I still work with quite a few of the devs on it and our minds were being blown by some of the skips "how did we miss / not think of that" :p

I hear ya. Seeing people play your games or break them down in ways you didn't realize is incredibly cool. I always learn things I never anticipated watching people play my games.

TheContact

Been watching GDQ since sgdq 2012. Specifically the first run I watched was Poxnor's ff8 run. Love watching rpgs. I get that most people don't but it's disappointing to see FF1 as the only major rpg in agdq. Either way, I look forward to these events ever year and it's off to a great start so far

Been watching GDQ since sgdq 2012. Specifically the first run I watched was Poxnor's ff8 run. Love watching rpgs. I get that most people don't but it's disappointing to see FF1 as the only major rpg in agdq. Either way, I look forward to these events ever year and it's off to a great start so far

Same! I think I like RPGLimitBreak a bit more in fact, all RPG speedruns and its got the smaller setting that GDQ used to have.

I also enjoy them but every year when they are on you get people complaining even here about why they are wasting so many hours on those kind of games.

Also thousand year door is on on Thursday night.

This Katamari run is great. Guy is giving non stop good commentary.

The Smash Bros Melee run was definitely a highlight. Make a note to see it if you are watching these later. Fun commentary and some fantastic skill.

Jay RaR

Enjoyed the Melee run, but the dude swore so many times and made a lot of...maybe uncomfortable jokes about dying. Didn't bother me though.

Bummed I missed Melee but at least I made it in time for Miles's run and now I can get on GAF. The way he breaks these games is just crazy.

Toad.T

Banned
Are there any vod's that include the twitch chat on YT? The melee one seems like it would be the best to wtch like that, considering the game's community.

Wouldn't be GDQ without the "I've never seen the camera do that before" moment.

Edit: A flub at the end there but still a great run by Miles as usual.

I really want to watch this run later on with the video flipped so the world is the right way up and samus is running up and down walls.

Top Bottom