• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Mupod

why do they put the stuff I want to watch at 4AM during the week. Then every time I turn on the stream after work it's some unwatchable 4 player race nonsense.

why do they put the stuff I want to watch at 4AM during the week. Then every time I turn on the stream after work it's some unwatchable 4 player race nonsense.

It's being watched internationally so putting the best games in prime time for the USA or any one country doesn't make sense. They get donations and views from all over the world.

Ramirez

Watching L4D and just remembering all the good times I had with it on XBL back in the day. With The Walking Deads popularity, it's really mindblowing to me we haven't seen another installment or even a copy cat. :(

studyguy

This guy's stitching so far
BNM_27-07-2015_NEWS_03_BUN240715DAR3_fct1024x768x286.0_ct620x465.jpg

Patients coming back with balls of wire coming out of every hole.

Tizoc

Aww I missed the start of the run, was out helping my Older Brother buy some stuff for a charity event :p

Luckily they're half way through so...the crazier ops are soon to come right?
Also the dude with the mask is like something out of SMT.

SexyFish

Banned
Watching L4D and just remembering all the good times I had with it on XBL back in the day. With The Walking Deads popularity, it's really mindblowing to me we haven't seen another installment or even a copy cat. :(
Aren't the guys behind Payday doing a Walking Dead game? I feel it'd be similar.

Paltheos

I caught up on the Metroid Prime 2 run in the archive. I felt bad seeing all the shittalking in the chat, but I can kinda understand it because the game is old and it's difficult to appreciate how much harder everything Miles was doing there is than it looks. The aether (the area outside the maps) is not an easy skip around rooms. It's its own geography, with ceilings, floors, outer limits, smooth surfaces, crags, invisible ceilings and walls, the works. You need to know them all to not die or force a reset because you screw attacked and landed on not a smooth surface (most things) or you missed your positioning and dropped to a floor you can't climb up from or, worse, hit terminal fall in a room without a floor. Or you just fall to oblivion because you misjudged your bomb jump or rolled off a surface when you have 2 energy, no suit to protect from Dark Aether, and can't unmorph because cannon state is the only thing protecting you from death - That Quadraxis skip was incredible to watch, all the more when you consider that you can't control the camera directly at all and Miles was definitely piloting blind there on a few occasions. Completing a single-segment, 6% run, in a marathon, is crazy. I don't know if anyone but Miles could have done it.

Unrelated, but I do feel a little sad about the route change from Item Loss Skip. The old route used Infinite Speed to skip the trigger, and it's such a cool trick that rarely gets featured in MP speed runs. It's cool though that they found a room we could leap out the ceiling of but kinda surprising considering people were supposed to have scoured those first few rooms for any chance of skipping the item loss trigger, and only 12 years later such a simple escape was found.

Protip: All versions of Dragon's Lair are shit games.

The NES version is even worse than this one.

The arcade original was marginally less shit.

The AVGN review of the NES version is one of my favorite videos of his! Really looks awful to play.

KHlover

Banned
Runner should have played Legend of Korra in NG, NG+ is...well, I'm just going to let the items he had equipped speak for themselves.

That low health may have looked intimidating, but the truth is that you're an unstoppable killing machine in NG+. New game on Normal is like 10x harder than New Game+ on Extreme. Probably biased as someone who's played it myself, but knowing that there's almost no real difficulty in the run besides screwing up a Jump and Run section kinda ruined it for me. The Autoscroller boss and the Final Boss are actually difficult, that's it.

dreams

Good god I really do not want to see any more Sonic, but it would be cool if they could actually raise the remaining $10k in such a short amount of time.

Damn, couldn't spare one minute to show a glitch. I feel like they've been really strict this year. Forgot which game it was but they were experiencing tech difficulties and they had to pause, the runner asked if they could pause the timer and they refused, lol.

Damn, couldn't spare one minute to show a glitch. I feel like they've been really strict this year. Forgot which game it was but they were experiencing tech difficulties and they had to pause, the runner asked if they could pause the timer and they refused, lol.
The tech side is scared to do anything with the timer because it might break the overlay. At least the person on the button when Moon Crystal was run (game crashed so restart) said something like that to the speedrun subreddit.

CassSept

Watching Donkey Kong 5 run I'm honestly amazed I still immediately recognized Pokemon Pinball music, I haven't played that game in nearly 15 years.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Runner should have played Legend of Korra in NG, NG+ is...well, I'm just going to let the items he had equipped speak for themselves.

That low health may have looked intimidating, but the truth is that you're an unstoppable killing machine in NG+. New game on Normal is like 10x harder than New Game+ on Extreme. Probably biased as someone who's played it myself, but knowing that there's almost no real difficulty in the run besides screwing up a Jump and Run section kinda ruined it for me. The Autoscroller boss and the Final Boss are actually difficult, that's it.

To be fair a majority of speed runs are done on easy to begin with :p

Famassu

Decently entertaining run even though I personally don't give a fuck about the Sonic franchise outside of Sonic Colours and Generations.

EDIT: Btw, did they do that some weird Kirby run with DDR controller or something? Have had some lengthy periods of not watching this AGDQ so I probably missed it?

Dreavus

Decently entertaining run even though I personally don't give a fuck about the Sonic franchise outside of Sonic Colours and Generations.

EDIT: Btw, did they do that some weird Kirby run with DDR controller or something? Have had some lengthy periods of not watching this AGDQ so I probably missed it?

Yeah it was Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble, there's gotta be a VOD up for it by now. They needed to capture it from a Gamecube GBA player, so the dude had to hold the entire system to use the tilt controls built into the cart. Then he had a dance pad hooked up for other buttons that were needed. It was absolutely ridiculous. I am cracking up here just explaining it, lol.

Crayolan

Sonic block crowd is the best.

They did Kirby Tilt and Tumble, which uses gyro, but the runner was playing on the Gamecube's gameboy player, meaning he had to twist around the entire gamecube to control the game.

Yeah it was Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble, there's gotta be a VOD up for it by now. They needed to capture it from a Gamecube GBA player, so the dude had to hold the entire system to use the tilt controls built into the cart. Then he had a dance pad hooked up for other buttons that were needed. It was absolutely ridiculous. I am cracking up here just explaining it, lol.

VOD's for all runs here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/5mq821/agdq_vod_thread_2017/

Still being updated as the event continues!

Woke myself up just so I could watch that run this morning. It's like you read my mind when you posted this. L4D is one of my favorite experiences online and I can't believe the DLC never carried on for that or that we STILL never got a L4D3. I miss that game.

You know, all Valve could do is release L4D Remastered with mod support and I bet they'd sell tons.

Top Bottom