• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I get that it's a technical feat. I am impressed by that.
It's also dry and went on for a long time.

Sometimes I wish they'd get TAS block out of the way on an earlier day.

and some of the speedruns have been dry and long as hell, please.

KarmaCow

That kills the magic, so no

I think the problem is that if you're not aware of the limitations and what is involved to workaround them, it's just watching a shitty video of a speedrun. Knowing that to get it running required two NESes for audio, a SNES for video and 250k inputs/second makes it all the more impressive.

jett

D-Member
Mario Maker is probably going to be a once every 2-3 GDQs thing like a bunch of other popular runs. I imagine it's a pain to organize too. It requires level designers and 8 good Mario runners plus 2-4 backups. The only thing that is tradition and is staying is Super Metroid and that's because it gets insane donations.

The people involved wanted to do SMM, they were denied by GDQ staff. It was at the last two GDQ, could've easily become another mainstay of the events. It's like an all-stars speedrunning event. Oh well. Not sure why some people gotta defend everything the GDQ organizers do.

jett

D-Member
That's amazing of Namco Bandai to send all that stuff.

...but how much is it going to cost the winner to get all that stuff shipped? LOL

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So close to 1.2 million.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a lot over 1.5 million before the end at this point, still like 8 hours left.

Can international donors even participate? I think shipping would end up costing hundreds of dollars.

Hmm, I think you can but I don't know.

The people involved wanted to do SMM, they were denied by GDQ staff. It was at the last two GDQ, could've easily become another mainstay of the events. It's like an all-stars speedrunning event. Oh well. Not sure why some people gotta defend everything the GDQ organizers do.

Just today I was wondering why there was no Maker this year. Seems like an absolute no brainier. Disappointing to hear it was denied.

I find it really scammy that the donation page says I'm eligible for the prize, but if you open the terms and conditions it says this:

Only those residing in the following countries/territories are eligible: Canada, France, Germany, Sweden, United Kingdom, and the United States of America.

It's hidden in the sweepstakes rules and they're not mentioning it on stream at all. I'm sure there's lots of uneligible $125's going in right now.

SJRB

Gold Member
That's amazing of Namco Bandai to send all that stuff.

...but how much is it going to cost the winner to get all that stuff shipped? LOL

Yeah that's pretty neat.

I kinda wish more devs would support AGDQ this way, but I guess when it gets too much it undermines the independent nature of AGDQ.

Fraeon

I find it really scammy that the donation page says I'm eligible for the prize, but if you open the terms and conditions it says this:

It's hidden in the sweepstakes rules and they're not mentioning it on stream at all. I'm sure there's lots of uneligible $125's going in right now.

That's a... weird list.

Like, why is Sweden of all places in there?

You can't run the same game every gdq. It'll be back many multiple times over the next few years.

I kind of wish they had the same rule with Super Metroid and mixed it up a little.

I know it's a tradition at this point but that run is pretty stale at this point.

BasicMath

So close to 1.2 million.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a lot over 1.5 million before the end at this point, still like 8 hours left.
Yeah, they've been doing like 100k every 90 minutes since SMG2. And we still have the biggest run ahead with Super Metroid, a pretty big and long run with Wind Waker and a massive wild card with Undertale. It seems like the Dark Souls incentive is doing its thing too.

jett

D-Member
Well now they know what to do to rack up the cash in next GDQs: find a crazy sponsor to donate hundreds of bucks of merch.

Well there it is. That sucks. A bit scummy they didn't make that known on stream.

Skyless

Neo Member

Strange list. Why only so few countries?

I mean on the one hand I get what you're saying. On the other hand you probably wouldn't win regardless and the point is to raise money for charity so anybody only donating on the off chance of winning the raffle is kind of questionable to me

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

oh that's pretty bad :/
I'm elligable but it's pretty sad that only half a dozen countries are.

I stepped away for a bit, whats with the massive $125's driving that counter crazy?

Minimum to enter raffle of massive Bandai Namco bundle.

Rixa

That's a... weird list.

Like, why is Sweden of all places in there?

I kind of wish they had the same rule with Super Metroid and mixed it up a little.

I know it's a tradition at this point but that run is pretty stale at this point.

I think the reason is from Esamarathon. Those started and are(?) hosted in Sweden.

Rainy

Banned

yikes, that could suck if people didn't see that.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

What the hell. Very scummy not making it known on stream.

rekameohs

Banned
Hey guys, long time donater, fourth time donater. It gives me great joy to kill to a great cause. Greetings from donation. PS: kill the viewer, kill the viewer.

yikes, that could suck if people didn't see that.

It's hidden inside a wall of text of sweepstakes rules. People are not going to see that.

They could easily have the donation page geolocate my IP as I'm in Finland, so they wouldn't display the prizes. But it doesn't, and it's advertising that $125 prize package to me even though I have no chance of winning it in an uneligible country.

I'm really wondering how many $125 donations are going in without them knowing they have a zero percent chance of winning it.

Top Bottom