• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

linko9

Dudes, I have spent many hours of my life watching SM runs, these dudes are chill and would probably love the support from clapping, as in every other marathon speedrun. This is just awkward and kills the mood.

emb

This is weird... doesn't seem like they usually worry so much about the crowd, even during serious time.

Edit: Wow, impressed they all skipped the Metroid.

Problem with the serious time thing is that this whole race has lacked any kind of hype from the commentary, and it got derailed with that shitty comment.

So there's just zero energy.

This just makes it worse. It's like watching a couple of sleepy people talk.

Velcro Fly

People in the crowd were obnoxious as fuck. It's super disrespectful to by screaming out memes when people are trying to focus.

TheChits

Revealing the results of the biggest donation war and immediately asking for silence
KuGsj.gif

Mudron

Have they enforced Serious Time during Super Metroid as rigidly as they just did now?

I can understand hushing the crowd in a few spots, but icing the crowd like this makes for BAD viewing.

robotrock

Banned
I hope this still makes it to 2 mil.

can't believe all the shitty save the animals and kill the animals donating messages over the last seven days lead to this.

linko9

SICK runs from Zoast and Behemoth, would have been 1:15s or close without the animals, both extremely impressive for a marathon. Honestly the two most impressive runs of the marathon skill-wise!

Shame about the weirdness.

devonodev

That was the least hype save/kill animals announcement, after all that build up. Waluigi was annoying, but being silenced at the most exciting moments is just awkward lol.

Aeana

"Serious time" is not remotely new to GDQ. They call for it when they need to concentrate to get specific tricks. It's something the runners all wanted, so why shouldn't they be able to have it?

Apathy

It's jsut so dumb, it's a charity race. it doesn't matter about performances. Hell people fail a lot of races in the past too. This isn't them setting WR pace or whatever. It should be for the fun of the crowd and the enjoyment that that brings for a good cause. The more into they are, the better the run is (specially with this weak commentary) and the more people might want to donate to

I think I prefer the any% run over 100%. While the commentary didn't help, there wasn't really any tension at all since no one came close to dying(compared to any% where it's a very big factor)

Revven

I would really like to know why in the world they thought this couch was a good idea. Like, this commentary is the driest I've heard for one of the most well known speed games almost all week.

You don't put dry commentary like this on a game that literally almost everyone knows how it goes. Even if it is a 100% category, which isn't often featured, it's awful for a game like this.

They really needed Golden & Spike again. I'd really like to know the reason for the people commentating this; who made this executive decision. If it was the runners that didn't want the hype commentary from previous GDQs, I'm a little more understanding. But if it was GDQ staff they made the wrong call from the off.

Just imagine this kind of commentary for a SM64 120 star race. It would be just as unfitting and awful.

jett

D-Member
The couch commentators and the announcer should've been disappeared along Beanie guy.

I think I prefer the any% run over 100%. While the commentary didn't help, there wasn't really any tension at all since no one came close to dying(compared to any% where it's a very big factor)

I feel the same. This is pretty boring. There's no tension.

Everything else that happened obviously doesn't help either.

robotrock

Banned
"Serious time" is not remotely new to GDQ. They call for it when they need to concentrate to get specific tricks. It's something the runners all wanted, so why shouldn't they be able to have it?

sorry just speaking from the audience perspective here. feels less fun with silence

Top Bottom